Breaking Down the NFC North, 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I don't know if Love improves significantly over his performance last season. In my opinion the only way to prove he has is by excelling in real games, something he hopefully doesn't get a chance to though.
I agree. And I'm skeptical of young QBs who do well in PS games. Beyond Q1, the QB is playing against a team's 2nd and 3rd string guys. The cauldron is in real games during the regular season. Unless it's in clean up, I'd rather not see Love on the field, or anyone other than Rodgers.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but if rodgers never plays in preseason games, wouldn't love be up against 1st string guys at least part of the time?
Yeah, primarily in Q1. I didn't make clear that Rodgers wouldn't be playing in the PS.

D

Deleted member 6794

but if rodgers never plays in preseason games, wouldn't love be up against 1st string guys at least part of the time?

A lot of teams rest starters in preseason games on the defensive side of the ball as well. In addition all of them play vanilla schemes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of teams rest starters in preseason games on the defensive side of the ball as well. In addition all of them play vanilla schemes.
It makes me wonder why they play PS games at all. Probably just for $$$. The games are sold out and everyone (including me) watches. Even in the vanilla schemes they run, injury is a risk. I just don't see the value to the game or the players. The owners and shareholders? Different story.

Not sure why the players can't get rid of PS games as part of the CBA. The players don't get much out of it. The only reason I can see is it gives a glimpse of how the rookie class will perform. Even that's a pretty weak reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

It makes me wonder why they play PS games at all. Probably just for $$$. The games are sold out and everyone (including me) watches. Even in the vanilla schemes they run, injury is a risk. I just don't see the value to the game or the players. The owners and shareholders? Different story.

Not sure why the players can't get rid of PS games as part of the CBA. The players don't get much out of it. The only reason I can see is it gives a glimpse of how the rookie class will perform. Even that's a pretty weak reason.

There's definitely some benefit to preseason games being played. While most players being a lock to make the roster might not need those games the ones fighting for a roster spot get a chance to showcase their talent.

You shouldn't expect to see a quality product in those games though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's definitely some benefit to preseason games being played. While most players being a lock to make the roster might not need those games the ones fighting for a roster spot get a chance to showcase their talent.

You shouldn't expect to see a quality product in those games though.
I guess that's right. The new guys have to get some real game experience, even if it is vanilla PS football. I'd be fine if the veterans were given a pass on participation. Unless they're working on something specifically, keep em healthy for when the games count.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that's right. The new guys have to get some real game experience, even if it is vanilla PS football. I'd be fine if the veterans were given a pass on participation. Unless they're working on something specifically, keep em healthy for when the games count.
i guarantee there will be some packers fans screaming that rodgers needs to play in the ps games because he needs to get used to his new receivers. i mean look at how many thought he was not "all in" because he didn't attend the voluntary otas (which are even more useless).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guarantee there will be some packers fans screaming that rodgers needs to play in the ps games because he needs to get used to his new receivers. i mean look at how many thought he was not "all in" because he didn't attend the voluntary otas (which are even more useless).
I really do get skipping the OTAs. The new guys are so busy just getting settled, finding their lockers, finding a place to live, finding the Hutson Center. OTAs are more like welcoming activities, with a little football thrown in.

As for the argument that Rodgers should play in the PS because there are so many new guys - well sure there's some value, but not much. The teams are running vanilla plays that are not likely to be used during the regular season. Risk injury to Rodgers for that? All it takes is one, aggressive UDFA Edge rusher trying to make a name for himself and take down #12. No thanks. Let Love get the snaps.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Love hasn't proven to be better than Garoppolo or Lance by any means. If Rodgers misses an extended period of time I definitely don't expect Love to be able to carry the team to the playoffs.

The Bears will get nowhere near winning six games in 2022. On the other hand the Packers won't come close to winning 10 or 11 games with Love as their quarterback.
Lmao

Niners traded Lance

Just goes to show posters here shouldn't be Gm or coaches

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
My sincere wish is that MLF manages to crack that Lion defense and can put some points up against those guys this year. I want to see the Pack beat the Lions (and thus, their "sudden fans") into silence once again. My honest opinion is that the division is up for grabs, and the winner of the division will be a nod toward the middling ... an acknowledgement of the mean... not the best, not the worst, just what we're stuck with.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lmao

Niners traded Lance

Just goes to show posters here shouldn't be Gm or coaches
For a fourth round pick no less. I think the Niners gave up three 1st round picks to draft Lance. Talk about a bust. Right up there with Zach Wilson, only worse.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My sincere wish is that MLF manages to crack that Lion defense and can put some points up against those guys this year. I want to see the Pack beat the Lions (and thus, their "sudden fans") into silence once again. My honest opinion is that the division is up for grabs, and the winner of the division will be a nod toward the middling ... an acknowledgement of the mean... not the best, not the worst, just what we're stuck with.
Pretty accurate forecast. And yeah, the Lions are a bit full of themselves. They need to do more than 9-8, even if it includes a huge win in GB in January.

They have talent, but they also have Jared Goff. He's not a big time QB. They have plenty of talent and can win if Goff is merely competent. But that assessment is true for the entire division, as you note. The only team I don't see as having a chance is the Bears. Well, at least they have a Lombardi. More than the Lions and Queens can say.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, if they'd taken our draft advice, we probably wouldn't be concerned about our starting center. :)
Gluten could have taken Creed Humphrey instead of Myers, right? I think Humphrey is in KC. Oh well......

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a fourth round pick no less. I think the Niners gave up three 1st round picks to draft Lance. Talk about a bust. Right up there with Zach Wilson, only worse.
Zach Wilson may very well turn out to be a good QB, after sitting & learning behind AR for a couple of years. His problems were between the ears, & I expect that to change after watching him (& AR) on hard knocks. I think AR is mentoring him in NY on how to be an NFL QB.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What might help us this time around is Love's legs. If the Lions drape our receivers again he may be able to get out on the perimeter and add another element that Rodgers appears to have lost.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What might help us this time around is Love's legs. If the Lions drape our receivers again he may be able to get out on the perimeter and add another element that Rodgers appears to have lost.
I didn't know you were looking at Love in his skivvies. What is it about his legs you find so attractive? The way his high heels fit, or maybe the turn of his ankle?

Asking for a friend. ;)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't know you were looking at Love in his skivvies. What is it about his legs you find so attractive? The way his high heels fit, or maybe the turn of his ankle?

Asking for a friend. ;)
At his age they probably look better than ARod's.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At his age they probably look better than ARod's.
I began to see a major decline in Rodgers running skills the last couple of years. He was struggling at times. That's one of the things you can't hide when you get older, and have taken as many hits as he has. Love didn't look too bad on those two runs he made when he couldn't throw the ball. It's going to force defenses to spy on him, so he can't do that on a regular basis.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A spy removes one rusher or pass defender from the field.
It won't be done all the time. Just often enough that Love shows less inclination to run. We see it being done more often now where there's QBs with decent wheels.

Reaction score
They have talent, but they also have Jared Goff. He's not a big time QB. They have plenty of talent and can win if Goff is merely competent
I’ve seen that thrown around in general by several people, both fans and media. But in Goff’s defense he was the best rated QB in the NFC North last year.
Also the Lions Offense finished #5 in points and #4 in production and that’s leaguewide. As much as I like Jordan, Goff is the current leading QB until proven otherwise. Hopefully Jordan can give him some competition early on.

Yet anyone needs to be concerned with playing at a competent level? it’s Love, Cousins or Fields.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve seen that thrown around in general by several people, both fans and media. But in Goff’s defense he was the best rated QB in the NFC North last year.
Also the Lions Offense finished #5 in points and #4 in production and that’s leaguewide. As much as I like Jordan, Goff is the current leading QB until proven otherwise. Hopefully Jordan can give him some competition early on.

Yet anyone needs to be concerned with playing at a competent level? it’s Love, Cousins or Fields.
Goff has probably been playing the best in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts