Breaking Down the NFC North, 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do Justin Fields and Trey Lance have in comon. They are both
going to be busts.
I'm not so sure about Trey Lance yet - but if the Niners thought they had a hot commodity in him, they would have played him more last year. They didn't and settled for Garropolo. When you spend that kind of capital for the third pick, I'd expect to see him starting pretty quickly.

As for Fields, he's the typical OSU QB in the NFL. They just don't do well. I put some of that responsibility on the school. Either way, he's just not very good.

Are they busts? Not officially, not yet. But don't hold your breath awaiting their greatness on the gridiron.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're going to have their busts in Canton?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That's a pretty good visual to go with the comment. Nice flip of the term "bust" - it can mean a lot of things.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not so sure about Trey Lance yet - but if the Niners thought they had a hot commodity in him, they would have played him more last year. They didn't and settled for Garropolo. When you spend that kind of capital for the third pick, I'd expect to see him starting pretty quickly.

I fully expect Lance to start for the Niners this season.

if you ask me, he should have been fired at least two years earlier.

I'm sorry but there was absolutely no reason for the Packers to fire MM after making it to the NFCCG in 2016.

It was pretty obvious he had lost the team in '18 but he was a highly successful coach before Rodgers' injury in 2017.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect Lance to start for the Niners this season.

I'm sorry but there was absolutely no reason for the Packers to fire MM after making it to the NFCCG in 2016.

It was pretty obvious he had lost the team in '18 but he was a highly successful coach before Rodgers' injury in 2017.
It will be interesting to see where Garropolo ends up. Maybe Seattle as a placeholder for a year. Seattle doesn't look like a team that will finish above .500. Next year's draft is rich in QB talent.

D

Deleted member 6794

It will be interesting to see where Garropolo ends up. Maybe Seattle as a placeholder for a year. Seattle doesn't look like a team that will finish above .500. Next year's draft is rich in QB talent.

In my opinion there's a decent chance Garoppolo will back up Lance this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion there's a decent chance Garoppolo will back up Lance this season.
Could be. He’s had surgery on his shoulder and I don’t think he’s throwing. So a trade is unlikely. He has a cap hit of $27 mil but I think that’s true if he’s there or not. Under those conditions, yeah keep him as the backup for Lance.

D

Deleted member 6794

Could be. He’s had surgery on his shoulder and I don’t think he’s throwing. So a trade is unlikely. He has a cap hit of $27 mil but I think that’s true if he’s there or not. Under those conditions, yeah keep him as the backup for Lance.

The Niners would save $25 million of cap space by trading Garoppolo before the start of the season.

I don't believe there's another team interested in trading for an average quarterback who hasn't been able to throw all offseason though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Niners would save $25 million of cap space by trading Garoppolo before the start of the season.

I don't believe there's another team interested in trading for an average quarterback who hasn't been able to throw all offseason though.

I concur with the thought he will be a Niner - only exception is if a team has a guy go down and they have a strong team around him that a Jimmy G type QB could still push for a SB....few that come to my mind quick....

Colts, Tennessee, Bills, Rams (fits their MO of all in type moves), and honestly Packers possibly depending when it happens and what our young WRs are showing (I DON'T see this happening with an NFC rival though...same with Rams honestly).

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As for Fields, he's the typical OSU QB in the NFL. They just don't do well. I put some of that responsibility on the school. Either way, he's just not very good.

Are they busts? Not officially, not yet. But don't hold your breath awaiting their greatness on the gridiron.
Lance was a one year starter at North Dakota State. North Dakota State! PJ Fleck wanted him to play Safety at Minnesota. I've watched some of his highlights from college. I was not impressed.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Got it. So they could unload him, but the other team would have to pick up the $25 mil. Even if he wasn't injured, Jimmy G isn't worth $25 mil. Well, maybe if the Browns needed a QB. They might do it. :eek:

D

Deleted member 6794

I concur with the thought he will be a Niner - only exception is if a team has a guy go down and they have a strong team around him that a Jimmy G type QB could still push for a SB....few that come to my mind quick....

Colts, Tennessee, Bills, Rams (fits their MO of all in type moves), and honestly Packers possibly depending when it happens and what our young WRs are showing (I DON'T see this happening with an NFC rival though...same with Rams honestly).

Aside of the Browns there isn't another team which currently has enough cap space to trade for Garoppolo.

Got it. So they could unload him, but the other team would have to pick up the $25 mil. Even if he wasn't injured, Jimmy G isn't worth $25 mil. Well, maybe if the Browns needed a QB. They might do it. :eek:

It would be possible for the Niners to pay for some of Garoppolo's salary to make a trade work (like the Browns do with Mayfield after trading him to the Panthers).

I don't see it happening though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of the Browns there isn't another team which currently has enough cap space to trade for Garoppolo.

It would be possible for the Niners to pay for some of Garoppolo's salary to make a trade work (like the Browns do with Mayfield after trading him to the Panthers).

I don't see it happening though.
Agreed. And now that the Panthers have Mayfield, where would Jimmy G go? Interesting that a trade could still work where SF eats some of the salary. But yeah, much more likely he'll backup Lance. A little ironic that the starter will be paid much less than the backup. That's pro sports. That's life.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love > Trey Lance and Jimmy G. If AR goes down the Packers will hitch the wagon to Love and ride him into the playoffs, IMHO. It's debatable whether Jimmy G. is any better than the other teams' backups, with the exception of Wolford & Rams ... Colts - Foles, Bills - Keenum, Titans - rookie Willis.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordan Love > Trey Lance and Jimmy G. If AR goes down the Packers will hitch the wagon to Love and ride him into the playoffs, IMHO. It's debatable whether Jimmy G. is any better than the other teams' backups, with the exception of Wolford & Rams ... Colts - Foles, Bills - Keenum, Titans - rookie Willis.
I agree that Love is the best choice right now for the Packers. As far as taking them to the playoffs, IMHO that doesn't happen if the Packers have to call on Love in the first half of the season. And even if they got in the playoffs, likely a one and done.

I gotta give Love a break here. Rodgers was no superstar early on, though he grew quickly. Love needs to be "the guy" for a whole season to even start to assess him. That might happen, but not in GB if Rodgers plays out his latest contract, worth $150 million. He's a consecutive MNP winner. I don't see him leaving. He's already rich, but another $150 mil. Way too tempting.
"

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Love is the best choice right now for the Packers. As far as taking them to the playoffs, IMHO that doesn't happen if the Packers have to call on Love in the first half of the season. And even if they got in the playoffs, likely a one and done.
The Bears, with a serious lack of talent on both sides of the ball, are currently predicted to win 6.5 games with Justin Fields at QB ... do you honestly think a loaded GB team with Love at QB will struggle to win 10-11 games and get into the playoffs? GB's prediction is 11 wins, which is 3rd highest only to Bills & Tampa at 11.5. With AR healthy all season we should hit 13 wins, again... with Love we'll get to 10 or better. The overall team talent is too good to fall back to mediocrity.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears, with a serious lack of talent on both sides of the ball, are currently predicted to win 6.5 games with Justin Fields at QB ... do you honestly think a loaded GB team with Love at QB will struggle to win 10-11 games and get into the playoffs? GB's prediction is 11 wins, which is 3rd highest only to Bills & Tampa at 11.5. With AR healthy all season we should hit 13 wins, again... with Love we'll get to 10 or better. The overall team talent is too good to fall back to mediocrity.
I don't know who is predicting 11 wins for the Packers this year with Rodgers. I agree it's more likely to be 13, again.

Love has kinda evolved into a love the pick (pun unintended) or hate the pick (not Love himself). I hope he's the Packers next HOF QB. Maybe it would have happened, but unless Rodgers retires or is traded after this season, Love will never get the chance in GB. I think he could be traded for a fifth round pick as a backup QB, but that makes no sense. He's the best backup the Packers have. That's dangerous because his career so far is as BU. Teams would rather go with younger talent, on rookie deals, to get their next QB (a starter, not a backup). This years's draft is rich in QB talent. That just hurts Love's chances to get a starting job - and first he has to prove he can be a starter. That hasn't happened yet.

It looks like it's just not gonna work out for Love in GB. I don't expect Rodgers to get hurt, if the does I guess we'll see what Love has got. But unless he blows it out of the water when he gets another chance, he's gone.

I'm tired of commenting on Love. As I said, very unlikely he suits up as the permanent starter in GB. Full stop.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know who is predicting 11 wins for the Packers this year with Rodgers. I agree it's more likely to be 13, again.

Love has kinda evolved into a love the pick (pun unintended) or hate the pick (not Love himself). I hope he's the Packers next HOF QB. Maybe it would have happened, but unless Rodgers retires or is traded after this season, Love will never get the chance in GB. I think he could be traded for a fifth round pick as a backup QB, but that makes no sense. He's the best backup the Packers have. That's dangerous because his career so far is as BU. Teams would rather go with younger talent, on rookie deals, to get their next QB (a starter, not a backup). This years's draft is rich in QB talent. That just hurts Love's chances to get a starting job - and first he has to prove he can be a starter. That hasn't happened yet.

It looks like it's just not gonna work out for Love in GB. I don't expect Rodgers to get hurt, if the does I guess we'll see what Love has got. But unless he blows it out of the water when he gets another chance, he's gone.

I'm tired of commenting on Love. As I said, very unlikely he suits up as the permanent starter in GB. Full stop.
I see 12 wins. Not certain about 13. I think the first 5 games are going to find us on the end of a potential 2-3 record. That will make it difficult reaching 13.

What I do see though is that the premise of where we end up will be determined by the chemistry between Rodgers and his receivers, along with how they implement that passing game with the RBs, and the running game itself. Although much has changed, because of personnel, not much has changed when it comes to the offensive line, RBs, TEs, and QB, so it's all different from the perspective of the WRs. That said, factor in the new OC, and new OL coach, and you have a few different wrinkles I'd expect.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see 12 wins. Not certain about 13. I think the first 5 games are going to find us on the end of a potential 2-3 record. That will make it difficult reaching 13.

What I do see though is that the premise of where we end up will be determined by the chemistry between Rodgers and his receivers, along with how they implement that passing game with the RBs, and the running game itself. Although much has changed, because of personnel, not much has changed when it comes to the offensive line, RBs, TEs, and QB, so it's all different from the perspective of the WRs. That said, factor in the new OC, and new OL coach, and you have a few different wrinkles I'd expect.
Yeah I agree. The D has gotten better in the offseason via FA and the draft, the O has gotten weaker with the departure of Adams. That doesn't mean they can't win plenty of games, 12 or 13, with the best QB in the NFL, a solid running game with RBs who can catch, and an interesting mix of new and experienced in the WR room. I'm less concerned with the WRs than I am with the TEs. No one stands out right now as we await a return of Tonyan to 2020 form, the progression of DeGuarra and the wild card in Davis.

MLF is very good at adjusting game plans based on what he's got. I'm hoping for an exciting season, with an emerging elite D, and a "may the best men win" in the WR and TE groups. I'm looking forward to it. Well, that's true every year!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. The D has gotten better in the offseason via FA and the draft, the O has gotten weaker with the departure of Adams. That doesn't mean they can't win plenty of games, 12 or 13, with the best QB in the NFL, a solid running game with RBs who can catch, and an interesting mix of new and experienced in the WR room. I'm less concerned with the WRs than I am with the TEs. No one stands out right now as we await a return of Tonyan to 2020 form, the progression of DeGuarra and the wild card in Davis.

MLF is very good at adjusting game plans based on what he's got. I'm hoping for an exciting season, with an emerging elite D, and a "may the best men win" in the WR and TE groups. I'm looking forward to it. Well, that's true every year!
Deguara is an interesting topic/player. I wonder if we will see him emerge a lot like Tonyan did? If that happens, and Tonyan comes back strong, this could be a strong point on the offense. I'm really anxious to see how that plays out.

You mentioned MLF being good at adjusting game plans. For a time, I wasn't convinced of that, but as last season wore on, I was more aware of his doing a good job on it with the offense. If it improves, just a tad more, this could end up being a great season at the end, where it counts most.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara is an interesting topic/player. I wonder if we will see him emerge a lot like Tonyan did? If that happens, and Tonyan comes back strong, this could be a strong point on the offense. I'm really anxious to see how that plays out.

You mentioned MLF being good at adjusting game plans. For a time, I wasn't convinced of that, but as last season wore on, I was more aware of his doing a good job on it with the offense. If it improves, just a tad more, this could end up being a great season at the end, where it counts most.
MLF has always had a team with a lot of reliability with Rodgers and Adams. And Bakh and great OL coaches. This year will be his biggest challenge, along with Joe Barry. It would be nice if they could win 5 or 6 games on the strength of their D. Great D also wins championships most years.

As far as DeGuarra, I don't think he has the speed or route flexibility of Tonyan. He's a hybrid TE/FB. But who knows?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as DeGuarra, I don't think he has the speed or route flexibility of Tonyan. He's a hybrid TE/FB. But who knows?
I recall seeing a "build the 53 man roster" site that had Deguera as a FB counting as the 4th RB leaving an extra slot for another TE. I don't recall who or where. Maybe had Tonyan on the 53 to start?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall seeing a "build the 53 man roster" site that had Deguera as a FB counting as the 4th RB leaving an extra slot for another TE. I don't recall who or where. Maybe had Tonyan on the 53 to start?
I think Tonyan will be far enough in his rehab to be on the 53. And yeah, I thought DeGuarra was considered a FB in MLF's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts