Breaking Down the NFC North, 2022 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 6794

There weren't a lot of individuals with injuries last year, but the injury bug aimed at the best players - Bakh, Jenkins, Tonyan, Meyers, Z, Alexander, I'm missing another one or two.

I agree that the Packers suffered injuries to a lot of excellent players. I don't know how other teams fared in that regard.
The only position group I see as tough to rank is Edge rusher. The Packers have two veteran starters in P. Smith and Gary, but the Lions took the best edge guy in the draft, and the Vikings are typically well-coached and strong here. The Bears still have Smith and so will always be somewhat of a threat.

Just for the record, Roquan isn't an edge rusher.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers suffered injuries to a lot of excellent players. I don't know how other teams fared in that regard.

Just for the record, Roquan isn't an edge rusher.
Yeah I'm not sure if other teams had it worse to the same as GB. It's hard to imagine losing so many quality starters though. But as I said, they still won 13 games, so a lot of guys stepped up - the way it's supposed to work. And MLF does a great job game planning with the talent on hand.

And right - Roquan is an ILB and doesn't belong in an analysis of Edge players.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thanks Dantes. I know you put a lot of effort into this, and for the rest of us who are lazy (like me), this is educational.

One thing that really stands out is how horrible the Bears are on paper. I agree they should trade Roquan while they can get some decent draft capital for him. And two wins sounds about right. Was Allen Robinson a FA? Can't believe they let him walk.

The only position group I see as tough to rank is Edge rusher. The Packers have two veteran starters in P. Smith and Gary, but the Lions took the best edge guy in the draft, and the Vikings are typically well-coached and strong here. The Bears still have Smith and so will always be somewhat of a threat. I think younhave it right, but wouldn't be surprised if the Lions move up.

Looking ahead, I'd say the Lions are rebuilding in a smart way. Not trying to do too much at once. Next year will be a great year for QBs in the draft. If they can find Goff's replacement, they'll start to win more than they lose. As long as Rodgers stays in GB, they'll be the class of the division, again.

The Packers continue to be fortunate, playing in such a weak division. As long as Rodgers sticks around, along with this great D, I don't see that changing.

Something to think about, depending on how the draft falls, do the Packers take a QB if one falls to them? I've been clear that I don't think Love is the guy. I appreciate that others feel differently so no need to keep arguing the point. It's supposed to be a QB rich draft so who knows. There are very few position needs for the Packers, other than QB in a post-Rodgers world.

Yeah, Robinson was a UFA. I get why they let him walk-- they're trying to tear it down and rebuild. But it's going to be ugly.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Robinson was a UFA. I get why they let him walk-- they're trying to tear it down and rebuild. But it's going to be ugly.
Well at least the Bears changed the coaches AND the GM. It amazes me how below-average teams keep the same, ineffective GM. I guess it's just easier to fire the HC.

I don't know much about their new GM (Pace?). But almost anyone would be an improvement.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well at least the Bears changed the coaches AND the GM. It amazes me how below-average teams keep the same, ineffective GM. I guess it's just easier to fire the HC.

I don't know much about their new GM (Pace?). But almost anyone would be an improvement.

It's a balancing act. If you're knee jerk and fire guys super quickly, you turn your organization into a dumpster fire.

Pace was hired in 2015, and then by 2018 the team went 12-4 and made the playoffs. That bought him a few more, and now he's gone. I think that was pretty reasonable.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a balancing act. If you're knee jerk and fire guys super quickly, you turn your organization into a dumpster fire.

Pace was hired in 2015, and then by 2018 the team went 12-4 and made the playoffs. That bought him a few more, and now he's gone. I think that was pretty reasonable.
Yeah I didn't even know he was gone. Who is the new GM?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They fired a Matt (Nagy) and Ryan P (ace) and hired a Matt (Eberflus) and Ryan P (oles).
Oh man that's hilarious. I do think the Bears are finally getting serious about the rebuild. That's why they let Robinson go. I'm not convinced Justin Fields is the answer at QB. These OSU QBs really seem to struggle in the NFL. I just don't think they rebuild around him.

Next year the draft is stocked with QBs. If the Bears get a top 5 pick, entirely possible, they can look to replace Fields.

And then again, Fields may pass for 4,000 yards and 35 TDs. Nah.........

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh man that's hilarious. I do think the Bears are finally getting serious about the rebuild. That's why they let Robinson go. I'm not convinced Justin Fields is the answer at QB. These OSU QBs really seem to struggle in the NFL. I just don't think they rebuild around him.

Next year the draft is stocked with QBs. If the Bears get a top 5 pick, entirely possible, they can look to replace Fields.

And then again, Fields may pass for 4,000 yards and 35 TDs. Nah.........

Their problem is that they won't have a great idea of whether Fields is the guy or not because there's virtually nothing around him. Their corps of pass catchers is actually worse than Green Bay's! And their OL is a disaster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their problem is that they won't have a great idea of whether Fields is the guy or not because there's virtually nothing around him. Their corps of pass catchers is actually worse than Green Bay's! And their OL is a disaster.
That IS a problem. Well, it's the Bears. I won't lose any sleep.....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they should have picked up matt ryan for the trifecta.
Well, that's actually a good idea. Let Fields play behind him for awhile. Oh well, too late! And I'd rather the Packers faced Fields than Ryan......

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They fired a Matt (Nagy) and Ryan P (ace) and hired a Matt (Eberflus) and Ryan P (oles).

It saved them money re-painting names on the office doors.

Thats kinda like hiring 3 head coaches in a row named Mike ( I'm not counting Ray Rhodes for this little excersize)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It saved them money re-painting names on the office doors.

Thats kinda like hiring 3 head coaches in a row named Mike ( I'm not counting Ray Rhodes for this little excersize)
Mike Sherman, Mike Holmgren - who am I missing?

Reaction score
We like staying in the same mold of names.
At one time we had Brett and Aaron backing him up
Then went to Aaron and Brett backing him up.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't they have highly touted ESB now?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The mind has ways of protecting us from the unpleasant. Towards the end anyway.
Yeah well I'm definitely in the 4th quarter of life. Early 4th quarter, but still the 4th quarter. I can remember **** that happened in grade school. I have no idea what I did for most of yesterday. Getting old is not for sissies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah well I'm definitely in the 4th quarter of life. Early 4th quarter, but still the 4th quarter. I can remember **** that happened in grade school. I have no idea what I did for most of yesterday. Getting old is not for sissies.
I meant the unpleasantness of the end of the McCarthy era as he was good early on but it fits both ways. I'm in the same boat as you.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant the unpleasantness of the end of the McCarthy era as he was good early on but it fits both ways. I'm in the same boat as you.
Yeah the last few years of MM's reign were just a rinse and repeat of the seasons before that. He lacked imagination, and in a league that changes as fast as the NFL (well, any pro sport), it's adapt or move on. MM was either too stubborn or deluded as to his own creativity and so he never changed. I'm not a Mark Murphy fan, but firing MM after the embarrassing loss to AZ was the right thing to do. It signaled that change was needed and was coming, and they moved quickly to find MLF. Firing MM during the season sent a signal.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What do Justin Fields and Trey Lance have in comon. They are both
going to be busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts