Bowser is the type of player that the packers need in this year's NFL Draft

Which player do you feel the Packers should select with their first pick?

• Tyus Bowser

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • TJ Watt

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Joe Mixon

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Forrest Lamp

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here is the reality.

We're lucky Harris didn't feel well and had a bad combine that day so now he will even drop to Packers at 29. I mean the list is Markus Golden, Shane Ray, Kony Ealy and Harris is being touted as the best of the bunch.

If Harris is there at 29 then you run and I mean run up to the podium and snag him. Tyus Bowser shouldn't even be in the discussion at that time.

The only player that could or should be in the discussion if Harris is available is Joe Mixon.

What's your end game here? Are you just planning to repeat yourself until I don't like Bowser anymore?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think Jordan Willis will be a better pro than Harris. They both will be above average no doubt but I have a good feeling about Willis being ProBowler!

Willis is actually closer to Harris then Bowser. I still take Harris's SEC production over Willis but it's much closer.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What's your end game here? Are you just planning to repeat yourself until I don't like Bowser anymore?

If they take Joe Mixon in 1st then I would have no problem with them going after Bowser in second.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah it is strange that you keep gushing about Tyus Bowser when there going to be drafted in within similar proximity and Harris is the obvious choice.

There's the issue. You can't seem to handle that I like Bowser. Hope you're able to come to terms.

You guys are killing me....LOL You may surpass the Capers and Janis posts in sheer numbers with this one.

Let me be clear on this....Brandon.....you like Harris and Dantés you like Bowser? ;)

Not that I have a dog in this "fight", but I bet you a ham sammich.....Packers select neither.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You guys are killing me....LOL You may surpass the Capers and Janis posts in sheer numbers with this one.

Let me be clear on this....Brandon.....you like Harris and Dantés you like Bowser? ;)

Not that I have a dog in this "fight", but I bet you a ham sammich.....Packers select neither.

Minor correction: Dantes likes both Harris and Bowser.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Lamp is a stud. He's very athletic, technically proficient, he has great technique, and excellent balance. This OL class is terrible but that doesn't mean every OL in this class is terrible. Guard isn't as valuable a position as Edge or CB, but if those are my choices then he's the best pure prospect by a wide margin and would be my choice.

It's a little silly to think that every analyst studying drafts out there is saying "Well this guy stinks, but there's no one else so we'll stick him in the top 20."

Funny you should say that, because it was actually Dan Shonka over at Ourlads who said in so many words that he has a second-to-third round grade on Lamp. Shonka's opinion (I'm paraphrasing) was that Lamp is only appearing in the first round of so many mocks because the amateurs are erroneously putting the top OG into the mix in round one as a matter of routine, not based on true scouting.

Nick Collins was a stud in every sense of the word, but, the Packers got him in round two because he hadn't proven it against top quality competition. Lamp may very well pan out, but, he has no track record of sustained success vs. big-time defensive lineman like he will face in the NFL. Jeff Janis dominated in college at his level, too, and has some elite athletic traits, but, it has not come together for him at the NFL level.

Well, we'll know for sure next week how the NFL scouts view Lamp.

(P.S. - Nothing personal about this debate Dantes. I tend to always like and agree with your commentary, just not this time. Peace.)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Funny you should say that, because it was actually Dan Shonka over at Ourlads who said in so many words that he has a second-to-third round grade on Lamp. Shonka's opinion (I'm paraphrasing) was that Lamp is only appearing in the first round of so many mocks because the amateurs are erroneously putting the top OG into the mix in round one as a matter of routine, not based on true scouting.

Nick Collins was a stud in every sense of the word, but, the Packers got him in round two because he hadn't proven it against top quality competition. Lamp may very well pan out, but, he has no track record of sustained success vs. big-time defensive lineman like he will face in the NFL. Jeff Janis dominated in college at his level, too, and has some elite athletic traits, but, it has not come together for him at the NFL level.

Well, we'll know for sure next week how the NFL scouts view Lamp.

(P.S. - Nothing personal about this debate Dantes. I tend to always like and agree with your commentary, just not this time. Peace.)

No offense taken, but we can continue the discussion no?

Lance Zierlein, perhaps the single best OL analyst that we have access to from the outside, has had a 1st round grade on him all along. Daniel Jeremiah as well.

And while you're correct that WKU didn't offer sustained exposure to high levels of competition, he did face maybe the two best defensive fronts in CFB in LSU and Alabama and he essentially dominated.

And then he tested like a premier player for the interior.

So I see no reason to think he's not as advertised. But we will find out what the NFL thinks pretty soon.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Minor correction: Dantes likes both Harris and Bowser.

Don't forget to add Willis and Watt. You essentially like the 4 players that will be there when Packers draft at 29 where the Packers are most likely to address edge.

Way to go out on a limb. ;). At least you will be "all in" on Ted's pick.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Don't forget to add Willis and Watt. You essentially like the 4 players that will be there when Packers draft at 29 where the Packers are most likely to adress edge.

Way to go out on a limb. ;). At least you will be "all in" on Ted's pick.

Am I supposed to not like some of them when I actually do like them just so I will be "out on a limb?"

D

Deleted member 6794

You see a lot of variance on pro day numbers. That's why I use nfldraftscout because it's run by CBS. I'm not accusing your link of anything, but agents often put out numbers that are less than accurate.

I like NFL Draft Scout as well but think it's funny they have mistakenly listed Harris with a 4.74 3-cone drill at the combine. Now that would be elite athleticism. ;)

In addition it seems they messed up the time of his 3-cone drill at Missouri's pro day as well as they mention him running it in 7.05 in his news section on their website.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=127236&draftyear=2017&genpos=DE

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of that group, I might pass on all of them, although if I had to choose...Watt and getting him by trading back into early Rd. 2
  • Watt: I like Watt, but not sure he is a #29 pick. He has some work to do in the weight room to beef up and improve his lower body strength. Until that happens, he could get manhandled by NFL Tackles. Also, I have to wonder if his brother wasn't JJ, if he would even be in the conversation for Rd. 1?
  • Lamp: Probably going to be a solid G, who can also play the T position, but I don't see TT using a #29 on the position.
  • Mixon: Not worth the risk or PR nightmare.
  • Bowser: Didn't know a lot about him, but as I was reading about him, I just couldn't stop thinking about Justin Harrell and Jamal Reynolds.

what's the risk with mixon? that he hits another woman, I find that highly unlikely. I don't think TT will take him at 29 for sane reason he won't take lamp as a plug n play guard. but if Mixon somehow makes it to 2nd pick I think he's the pick. I think watt will be good if nothing else you know he's gonna try harder than anyone and he's got the size and athleticism to rush the passer. but yeah he's not worth 29 and I'd prefer to risk a trade back if I was targeting him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like NFL Draft Scout as well but think it's funny they have mistakenly listed Harris with a 4.74 3-cone drill at the combine. Now that would be elite athleticism. ;)

In addition it seems they messed up the time of his 3-cone drill at Missouri's pro day as well as they mention him running it in 7.05 in his news section on their website.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=127236&draftyear=2017&genpos=DE

And then Brandt has him at 7.35.

I don't know... either way his athleticism isn't special or prohibitive. Good player.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
And then Brandt has him at 7.35.

I don't know... either way his athleticism isn't special or prohibitive. Good player.

He has a 37.5 inch vertical jump. My goodness what is elite to you? A 255lb man jumping almost 38 inches isn't elite to you?

Harris is a "freak show" athletically. This is why combine junkies drive me crazy is they take this one day at the combine and think that it's an everyday number for a guy.

The combine and pro day are simply "box checkers" to make sure a player has sufficient athleticism to make jump to NFL which Harris does. All this other bean counter talk about a fast this or slow this are a bunch of crap.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
He has a 37.5 inch vertical jump. My goodness what is elite to you? A 255lb man jumping almost 38 inches isn't elite to you?

Harris is a "freak show" athletically. This is why combine junkies drive me crazy is they take this one day at the combine and think that it's an everyday number for a guy.

The combine and pro day are simply "box checkers" to make sure a player has sufficient athleticism to make jump to NFL which Harris does. All this other bean counter talk about a fast this or slow this are a bunch of crap.

Brandon... can we just calm down?

No, he is not elite to me, athletically. He has one very good result, one poor one, and the rest are along the spectrum in the middle. I don't take one number and decide on that basis that a guy is a special athlete. I look at the composite picture. But you don't have to agree, and it's hilarious that you get this bent out of shape over it.

What's strange is that you're simultaneously making fun of me for valuing combine metrics and freaking out that I don't think said metrics paint a picture of Harris as being elite. If I'm just a "combine junkie" and a "bean counter" with a "three cone fetish," why do you care so much about what I have to say regarding Harris' numbers? If you really think I'm that stupid, I wouldn't expect to see a red X in my alerts and find you pitching a fit every time I say something about his metrics.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
what's the risk with mixon? that he hits another woman, I find that highly unlikely. I don't think TT will take him at 29 for sane reason he won't take lamp as a plug n play guard. but if Mixon somehow makes it to 2nd pick I think he's the pick.

There is an entire thread dedicated to this, as well as various other draft threads discussing it, so I won't rehash mine and everyone else's views on Mixon.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Brandon... can we just calm down?

No, he is not elite to me, athletically. He has one very good result, one poor one, and the rest are along the spectrum in the middle. I don't take one number and decide on that basis that a guy is a special athlete. I look at the composite picture. But you don't have to agree, and it's hilarious that you get this bent out of shape over it.

What's strange is that you're simultaneously making fun of me for valuing combine metrics and freaking out that I don't think said metrics paint a picture of Harris as being elite. If I'm just a "combine junkie" and a "bean counter" with a "three cone fetish," why do you care so much about what I have to say regarding Harris' numbers? If you really think I'm that stupid, I wouldn't expect to see a red X in my alerts and find you pitching a fit every time I say something about his metrics.

What I find hillarious is you trying to stock pile all this momentum for the Packers drafting Tyus Bowser while throwing all these subliminal jabs at Charles Harris. Then when it comes down to it you will say "I like Harris".

It is funny.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I find hillarious is you trying to stock pile all this momentum for the Packers drafting Tyus Bowser while throwing all these subliminal jabs at Charles Harris. Then when it comes down to it you will say "I like Harris".

It is funny.

This makes no sense. I'm sorry I don't see the players the exact same way you do. I hope you'll be able to get over it. I'm flattered that you put this much stock into my opinion.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This makes no sense. I'm sorry I don't see the players the exact same way you do. I hope you'll be able to get over it. I'm flattered that you put this much stock into my opinion.

Not really. When you have the ability to review tape effectively you don't need to rely so heavily on circus combine numbers but for "combine junkies" such as yourself I understand the tendency.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not really. When you have the ability to review tape effectively you don't need to rely so heavily on circus combine numbers but for "combine junkies" such as yourself I understand the tendency.

Your insults are really making a strong case.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Your insults are really making a strong case.

I guess what it is that when you evaluate Harris and his tape he just jumps out so much. You see how fluid he is in his hips and his footwork (which I don't believe can always be taught). He has the bend at hips and his first step is one of the quickest I've ever seen along with the motor to go with it. He already has multiple pass rushing moves coming into the league which is huge. I just see a talent that translates into a special type pass rusher in the NFL. This is 10-14 sack guy all the way. This is what the Packers need! For you to call him a "below average athlete" is so disrespectful.

Then you wanna come at me with Tyus Bowser and his 3 cone drill. He has some nice athleticism but we're still talking about an undersized guy that played at the University of Houston. I understand some people like to look for the diamond in the rough but the Packers are in no position to be doing this with the immediate needs they have and spending a 1st round pick on that. If Bowser is sitting there in round 3 then sure grab him. I just think with Bowser were gonna get a guy that's is going to be difficult to find a way to use and another guy that gets moved around a lot looking for the right spot for him. I'm tired of experiments.

Give me Harris and let's Roll.

Members online

Latest posts