Blocked FG

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know our place kicking protection appears suspect. You wonder how Mason has hit his streak. I still have a problem with those who say NO Steeler was offside on the blocked FG. The line judge did call it immediately without hesitation and his job is simply TO watch the line of scrimmage at the snap. The replays have not shown any clear indication the other way. What I have seen is that Haden started early and his helmet was in the neutral zone before the ball left the center's hands. And that is not ticky tack. That is offside.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the slow-mo there was no question the 2 guys on the left side were moving before the ball was snapped, not a lot, but it was before. And then they kept showing the view from behind. How about a view down the LOS? I wouldn't be surprised if he was lined up offsides to begin with. He's a whole helmet ahead of the guy next to him.

But this game loves controversy, so if he wasn't or wasn't, the league still wins.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the slow-mo there was no question the 2 guys on the left side were moving before the ball was snapped, not a lot, but it was before. And then they kept showing the view from behind. How about a view down the LOS? I wouldn't be surprised if he was lined up offsides to begin with. He's a whole helmet ahead of the guy next to him.

But this game loves controversy, so if he wasn't or wasn't, the league still wins.

I was looking for a shot down the LOS as well. It almost impossible to tell if a guy was offsides from behind the play (kind of like its almost impossible to see a helmet to helmet hit from behind the play.

I know our place kicking protection appears suspect. You wonder how Mason has hit his streak. I still have a problem with those who say NO Steeler was offside on the blocked FG. The line judge did call it immediately without hesitation and his job is simply TO watch the line of scrimmage at the snap. The replays have not shown any clear indication the other way. What I have seen is that Haden started early and his helmet was in the neutral zone before the ball left the center's hands. And that is not ticky tack. That is offside.
before the ball left his hand isn't the key though. Its before the ball is moved. I have no doubt he moved before the ball left the centers hand.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know when the center gets in position and the ball is flat on the ground he usually moves the ball slightly forward and just the point of the football is touching the field. It looked to me like the D moved on the move forward and the snap came immediately after that.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the officials thought there's no way a team's special teams unit can be so atrocious that they would let a jailbreak happen like that so they threw their flags. It seems like the Packers hold my beered the refs into throwing a flag.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which at that point their movement and timing with snap doesn’t matter.

Reaction score
Here if is a fraction of a second from the snap. No defender has time to move inside .02 sec.
1 Steeler Defender (top) about a 1/2 yard jump into the backfield in momentum before that ball moved. A second defender near him looked questionably off sides. If you froze that top Steeler defender straight down.. then had him stretch only his arms extended? He’s almost touching the solid field line. No other player is even close to being able to do that if laying down.

Had he jumped anymore offsides.. he would’ve beat the place kicker to the football and kicked it for a FG the opposite direction. I also noticed there is no photo looking down the LOS if he looks even remotely offsides here? He’ll look 1/2 yard worse from the Line judges angle
My wife told me recently I was out of gas while driving. She’s sitting in the passenger seat looking. My Angle shows near quarter tank as I’m in the driver seat. She must be right though she’s only inches away. Right?
The Line judge was the car driver. Trust me here, you’re judging from the passenger seat.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kept wishing they would show a view down the line of scrimmage as well. They probably didn't have a camera there. However, if you draw a line here across the back of the players on the defense, it paints a clear picture. The guys over the ball are right against the neutral zone. The edge guys on the bottom are pretty close, but likely not enough to throw a flag typically. The three on the top (even though they are out of their stances) did not advance that far on the snap. They lined up further and were in the neutral zone at the snap.

For anyone that wonders about which penalty was called and why, it was offsides. The rules are:

Offsides is when the player lines up over the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. A neutral zone infraction is when the player moves over the neutral zone before the ball is snapped. Encroachment is when a defensive player touches an offensive player before the ball is snapped.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The edge guys on the bottom are pretty close, but likely not enough to throw a flag typically.
Let me just point out that "not enough to throw a flag typically" doesn't necessarily mean "not enough to throw a flag".

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking for a shot down the LOS as well. It almost impossible to tell if a guy was offsides from behind the play (kind of like its almost impossible to see a helmet to helmet hit from behind the play.

before the ball left his hand isn't the key though. Its before the ball is moved. I have no doubt he moved before the ball left the centers hand.
They showed one view down the LOS in slow motion. It was very, very obvious that both guys were moving before the ball moved. If our blocker on the far right had moved when he saw 23 move, the play would never had taken place and their would be no discussion. It was not a bullet dodged. It was offsides, pure and simple and the ref saw it through all its flagrant glory. It wasn't even close in referee terms.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes they were moving and came out of their stances but I am not 100% sure they crossed the line of scrimmage before the snap.

OP
OP
milani

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here if is a fraction of a second from the snap. No defender has time to move inside .02 sec.
1 Steeler Defender (top) about a 1/2 yard jump into the backfield in momentum before that ball moved. A second defender near him looked questionably off sides. If you froze that top Steeler defender straight down.. then had him stretch only his arms extended? He’s almost touching the solid field line. No other player is even close to being able to do that if laying down.

Had he jumped anymore offsides.. he would’ve beat the place kicker to the football and kicked it for a FG the opposite direction. I also noticed there is no photo looking down the LOS if he looks even remotely offsides here? He’ll look 1/2 yard worse from the Line judges angle
My wife told me recently I was out of gas while driving. She’s sitting in the passenger seat looking. My Angle shows near quarter tank as I’m in the driver seat. She must be right though she’s only inches away. Right?
The Line judge was the car driver. Trust me here, you’re judging from the passenger seat.
I know we are homers. Just wonder if we would feel the same if it was us that blocked a kick.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes they were moving and came out of their stances but I am not 100% sure they crossed the line of scrimmage before the snap.
If any part of their body is in the neutral zone, out comes the flag.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As was said before, wouldn't be surprised at all that he was already lined up offsides. probably didn't even need to move and as soon as the ball was snapped, the flag was coming out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are homers. Just wonder if we would feel the same if it was us that blocked a kick.

False, shoot I'm the one that was giving a second by second breakdown of why Ward's hit on Adams wasn't dirty or leading with the crown of his helmet - and Adams is one of my favorite all time Packers...bought my two year old a real authentic Adams jersey cuz apparently I like to waste money on something that won't fit in two years if we are lucky. LOL

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As was said before, wouldn't be surprised at all that he was already lined up offsides. probably didn't even need to move and as soon as the ball was snapped, the flag was coming out.
i realize that the cgi lines that broadcasters create are not exact, but it is amazing how many times per game i see guys that are lined up offsides and it is rarely called.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...or how offensive sets often look like a goose v-formation instead of all the players on the actual line of scrimmage.

Reaction score
If the teams were reversed. I’ll still stand that we executed the blocked punt perfectly and that we weren’t even close to the LOS.
We could’ve had a family picnic between #23 and the LOS and still had room to park our cars diagonally. :coffee:
GPG!

Members online

Latest posts