BJ Sander

Reaction score
DakotaT said:
I think Moss wiping his *** on our goal post sealed Sherman's demise. I don't know this for sure, but I would imagine that it infuriated the major stockholders to the point of saying "Get rid of that__________. Fair or not, that is life in the NFL.

DakotaT, the reason Sherman was fired was because he and TT could not work together. Naturally, there was some weirdness between the two, because TT did replace MS as GM. Nothing was going to change that, and TT finally concluded that he and MS wouldn't be able to get on the same page, at least not in the near future. That is why MS was fired.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
DakotaT said:
I think Moss wiping his *** on our goal post sealed Sherman's demise. I don't know this for sure, but I would imagine that it infuriated the major stockholders to the point of saying "Get rid of that__________. Fair or not, that is life in the NFL.

DakotaT, the reason Sherman was fired was because he and TT could not work together. Naturally, there was some weirdness between the two, because TT did replace MS as GM. Nothing was going to change that, and TT finally concluded that he and MS wouldn't be able to get on the same page, at least not in the near future. That is why MS was fired.

The odd part about that situation is that TT was hired because supposedly he would ease the transition and be able to work with Sherman. When he gave Sherman a contract extension, all indications were that they were working great together.

Then Sherman was fired...
Now we're left with a GM that was hired because he could work well with our former coach...

I hope that doesn't come back to bite us in the @$$, but only time will tell.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those were not the most inspiring words from our friend B.J., but who knows, maybe it's true. It is well-known that many players who do the NFL Europe thing become fatigued by the end of the year. I don't see why this can't happen to a punter. They punt the ball a lot in practice.

What B.J. says doesn't matter anyway, because he will have a chance to win or lose the punting job in training camp.

Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
all about da packers said:
I've always maintained that Sherman the GM didn't always give Sherman the coach the best players to work with. Regardless, that just goes to prove, IMO, how talented of a coach Sherman was. He had his flaws, like everyone else, but look at the long run and the lows Coach Chin (PFT.com) has had with the Steelers. He had the same nack for messing up in the big games, but look at him now, he is a winner.

See, I've always maintained the opposite, namely that Sherman the GM was the victim of Sherman the Coach. What I mean by this is that it's widely accepted that the best place to find talent is in the top 5 picks of the draft, which is a place Sherman never even got a sniff of drafting while GM - due to his pretty impressive W-L record as coach. I'd also add that, especially given where he picked, he had a pretty good track record with his first rounders (Walker, Barnett and even Carroll). MS' main failing as a GM was that he traded away too many late round picks. The later rounds of the draft are a huge crapshoot, so, IMO, it's better to take as many shots as you can.

WOW. Hadn't really thought about it like that before.

My inital criticism to this would be that Sherman the GM often tended to choose players that had a nack for being lazy, and choose them on the basis that if they ever got their head on straight, they would be great players. I think that ultimately put Sherman in a bad position, to try and get the draft picks to improve their work ethic, and com ein to contribute right away. It asked too much, IMO.

Regardless, one of the best posts I have read on this forum TO. Great point. :)

OP
OP
D

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MS was just like Denny Green....always loking for the lump of charcoal to turn into a diamond to validate themselves as GM geniuses.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
MS' main failing as a GM was that he traded away too many late round picks. The later rounds of the draft are a huge crapshoot, so, IMO, it's better to take as many shots as you can.

IMO, Sherman really did pretty well in the later rounds of the draft. That's where he picked Aaron Kampman(5), Craig Nall(5), Corey Williams(6), Scott Wells(7) and David Martin(6).

Where he really suffered was in the high middle rounds. After usually giving up his second round picks in order to move up in the 1st (except for Robert Ferguson), he put more pressure on himself to do well in the 3rd. And his list of third round picks left a lot to be desired. It included Marques Anderson (3), Joey Thomas(3), Donnell Washington(3), Kenny Peterson(3), BJ Sander(3), Torrance Marshall(3) and Bhawoh Jue(3).

A GM has to have players selected in these rounds to be major contributors. Don't see many there.

Latest posts