Bishop signs with the Vikings

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
He obviously is a question mark, but I hope the Vikings sign him to a cheap deal. Definitely worth the risk.
Also said if he didn get the money he wants he'd try to come back to green bay. So no cheap contract for you. All aboard the KC train

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If the vikings ever decide to change their team name, the should change it to the minnesota raccoons......since they seem to always be going through and picking at their neighbors trash.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett with Buffalo: Has played in ALL 32 games since leaving GB. In 2011 he recorded 130 tackles and three sacks. In 2012 he recorded 112 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd say those are pretty good numbers.

In 2011 Jenkins recorded 5.5 sacks, 24 hurries and seven tackles for loss. In 2012 he recorded 30 QB pressures, 4 sacks and 1 forced fumble. Jenkins at 32 is now wearing down but it is telling that the Packers have been looking for a replacement for him since he left.

Lol i'd call those pretty good numbers as well. Bring at least one back!!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are some of you so upset that the queens are going after our former players?? at least they are wise enough to go after the solid ones. They understand that who better to provided inside info about the Packers then former Packers?? Both bishop and Jennings will have major roles in Queenland if Bishop goes there. Don't be mad or shocked if Raji ends up there if he's not resigned.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the vikings ever decide to change their team name, the should change it to the minnesota raccoons......since they seem to always be going through and picking at their neighbors trash.

They sure do get a hard-on every time we release anyone. Starting to get redundant. I'll tell you why Ted doesn't use free agency ... he simply is not enamored with, nor gives two craps about anyone else's players! It would be nice if he used it once in a while, but it's just not the way they do business.

With the sole exception of Favre and his 2009 season (which, to absolute no one's surprise, ended in a typical epic fail, regardless) ... name one player the Packers have let go during this regime, who has blown the doors off the league and made the Packers regret it. I can't think of a single one. Tells me all I need to know.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in a long time. Maybe Lofton to Bills way back.

Well ... that was under the Dishonorable Judge Robert Parins regime, not Ted, obviously. Regardless, Lofton never would have been shipped out of town, had he not been caught in a stairwell, banging some chic whose name wasn't Mrs. Lofton. That whole 1986 season was a disaster, when you include Forrest Twitch Nose, cutting ****ey, Coffman, Douglass, and others, in his pathetic house-cleaning failure, to go along with Mossy Cade ****** his cousin, and encouraging Charles Martin to slog out there in a hit-list towel, etc. There were other 4-12 seasons, like 1988 and 1991, but in my lifetime of being a fan, 1986 was by far the absolute worst single season ever. Randy Wright, lol. More like Randy Wrong. What a horsesh*t QB. Biggest deer in the headlights vs. the Bears that I ever saw.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are some of you so upset that the queens are going after our former players?
I think that fans, especially on forums, get all bent out of shape because the Vikings have successfully picked through our garbage. On that note, it's also fair to note that we aren't releasing washed-up has-beens. Longwell was still a good kicker but we didn't want to pay him. Sharper was getting long in the tooth but we had new guys coming in, same as with Favre and Jennings.

I think that it hurts some fans' pride that the Vikings have successfully used our former players against us. Me, I just see it as a fantastic way to keep the rivalry alive. Imagine how hot the games would get between Chicago and Green Bay if our players started going down there and making their team better!

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
they wont get any love from me going to a rival team. That is the ultimate f*ck you to the pack nation IMO. They are the enemy and a traitor and should be treated as such. If he does go there, no good luck wishes to him from me, infact I hope his injury comes back first play of the season if he does go across the border.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnett with Buffalo: Has played in ALL 32 games since leaving GB. In 2011 he recorded 130 tackles and three sacks. In 2012 he recorded 112 tackles and 2 sacks. I'd say those are pretty good numbers.

In 2011 Jenkins recorded 5.5 sacks, 24 hurries and seven tackles for loss. In 2012 he recorded 30 QB pressures, 4 sacks and 1 forced fumble. Jenkins at 32 is now wearing down but it is telling that the Packers have been looking for a replacement for him since he left.

Hawk had 120 tackles and 3 sacks last year, so why do people think he is total garbage then?

I would have liked to re-sign Jenkins, but I'm sure they are hoping D. Jones will do some of the things that Jenkins did.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are some of you so upset that the queens are going after our former players?? at least they are wise enough to go after the solid ones. They understand that who better to provided inside info about the Packers then former Packers?? Both bishop and Jennings will have major roles in Queenland if Bishop goes there. Don't be mad or shocked if Raji ends up there if he's not resigned.

But how has that way of doing things worked out for them over the years? They continue to be the inferior team. Maybe if they concentrated on their own business, developing their own players, working to build their own identity, they wouldn't constantly be behind the 8 ball ...so to speak.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But how has that way of doing things worked out for them over the years? They continue to be the inferior team. Maybe if they concentrated on their own business, developing their own players, working to build their own identity, they wouldn't constantly be behind the 8 ball ...so to speak.

Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Leave 'em be, they're doin "great"! :D

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This article may provide more insight into the decision to release Bishop:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/desmond-bishops-succesful-return-far-from-a-medical-certainty

Money quotes:
Reading that it makes me not want the man to be signed. It really does not look good for his future. Although a small sample size, still pretty bad results. If they do sign him I hope it with some type of protection like bonus's for games played during the year and not some big signing bonus.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Inferior? Maybe in one position. QB. DB's were suspect but are coming around. Maybe you didn't notice but the Vikings did change how they do things two years ago after Childress was fired. They got rid of the "Triangle of authority(stupidity)", and made the GM the man in charge. Since then they have been attempting to be more like the Packers in drafting and developing their own players. But like the Packers, it doesn't happen overnight. It takes several years. Remember when TT first took charge and started the process? It took several years to get to that point. And in the meantime you will have to bring in some FA to take up the slack in some positions. The one thing the Packers have had the last 10 years is a stable QB. That make a huge difference. It's going to suck some more if Ponder isn't that type of QB. Not HOF type, but the type that can at least be in the top 15 QB's.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inferior? Maybe in one position. QB. DB's were suspect but are coming around. Maybe you didn't notice but the Vikings did change how they do things two years ago after Childress was fired. They got rid of the "Triangle of authority(stupidity)", and made the GM the man in charge. Since then they have been attempting to be more like the Packers in drafting and developing their own players. But like the Packers, it doesn't happen overnight. It takes several years. Remember when TT first took charge and started the process? It took several years to get to that point. And in the meantime you will have to bring in some FA to take up the slack in some positions. The one thing the Packers have had the last 10 years is a stable QB. That make a huge difference. It's going to suck some more if Ponder isn't that type of QB. Not HOF type, but the type that can at least be in the top 15 QB's.
Good point. Personally, I'm not upset at either the player or the Vikings for signing former Packers. Jennings went to the highest bidder. That's the American way. The Vikings, as you noted, are plugging a gap while developing their own players. It does seem they have their ship righted and heading in the right direction, which is good for the division. Better competition will harden the team at the top for a playoff run.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You forgot to add the fact that they beat us last year and made the playoffs. Not bad for an inferior team imo. I hate the Queens yes... but as a football person that team is a Qb away from being a major headache for us Packer fans and the rest of the NFC North.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot to add the fact that they beat us last year and made the playoffs. Not bad for an inferior team imo. I hate the Queens yes... but as a football person that team is a Qb away from being a major headache for us Packer fans and the rest of the NFC North.
Don't just mention one game though, if you do you should mention one that matters? The playoff game? A worse regular season record and advancing less in the playoffs is not to good for an inferior team either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But how has that way of doing things worked out for them over the years? They continue to be the inferior team.
Too bad you established the correlation but didn't connect the dots.

Pointing to a team that has successfully used free agency and pointing to that as the reason for their lack of success makes a poor argument. I agree with the second half of your post about concentrating on player development. They've had serious problems drafting and developing but I think that most people would argue that their free agent moves have been solid and provided most of their consistent performers. Count most of their Packers free agents in that list along with Hutchinson and Allen. They haven't missed on many of their big FA acquisitions, it's just that they were terrible at providing depth around those acquisitions through the draft.

As Raptorman pointed out, since getting rid of the "triangle of power" Rick Spielman has done a pretty good job drafting talent. I don't see any reason for them to stop bringing in former Packers as they have worked out well for them.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad you established the correlation but didn't connect the dots.

As Raptorman pointed out, since getting rid of the "triangle of power" Rick Spielman has done a pretty good job drafting talent. I don't see any reason for them to stop bringing in former Packers as they have worked out well for them.

Proponents of "Draft and Develop" would argue, quite rightly I think, that too much emphasis on bringing in Free agents means having to cut ties with younger players. Guys who would otherwise develop into good young players that can contribute, cheaply, to the team and eventually be re-signed (oftentimes for below market value). Fact of the matter is that for every good free agent signing there are typically a few bad ones. For every roster spot taken up by a bad free agent acquasition (or a good one), there is a developing player who has to be let go.

I agree with you on the point that the Queens have made some quality FA signings and trades, but they could only really make a serious push recently by bringing in Bert in a wheelchair and letting him beat himself up for another couple years.

If Ponder flops they'll be right back to "rebuilding" except the Williams' are no longer dominant, AP will be approaching his shelf life and Jared Allen will likely be gone. If Ponder doesn't break out this year they're screwed...Desmond Bishop or not.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Don't just mention one game though, if you do you should mention one that matters? The playoff game? A worse regular season record and advancing less in the playoffs is not to good for an inferior team either.
The Viking have shown they can make it to the playoffs without a good QB. Can the Packers? :)

And yet the Vikings are still the inferior team.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Viking have shown they can make it to the playoffs without a good QB. Can the Packers? :)

Who cares weather you make the playoffs with or without a good QB? Do you get a special award if you make the playoffs without a good QB? Automatic forst round bye or something?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

And yet the Vikings are still the inferior team.
Just goes to show the value of a top 3 QB. ;)

If we had a decent backup QB: Yes
As it stands: Unlikely (to put it nicely)

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be fair to ask Graham Harrell, an UDFA, to perform as well as Christian Ponder, a second round pick who has gotten a lot more experience and practice reps. Could the Packers make the playoffs with Harrell? Hopefully we'll never have to find out.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't quite understand some of the opinions on the Queens here. Their FA signing have been pretty sensible as they rebuild through the draft. Signing ex-Packer players is a big "so what" as far as I'm concerned. It's still all about Favre.

The Vikings are going to compete with us for the NFC north. They're the most talented team other than us. Why the sports minions are picking the Bears over the Queens is beyond me. Is it because they have Cutler? Well, for the last 4 games that he played last season, Ponder had the 2nd highest QB rating I believe. Take Cutler-Ponder out of the equation and who is more talented, Bears or Vikings? Vikings absolutely. They've had two very good drafts, and although I question the way they gave up so many picks just to get Cordarelle Patterson in the 1st, I can't argue with Floyd-Rhodes-Patterson. Sheesh.

I have to agree with Raptorman on this one: the #1 difference between the Vikes and the Pack is Rodgers, full stop. Otherwise the two teams are pretty close in talent, and I seriously think they are going to challenge us for the NFC crown this year.

There's several wait-and-see situations for the Pack: are Datone Jones, Nick Perry going to be able to give us the pass rush we've been so sorely lacking? Are they going to be able to help free up CMIII? How about our OL shuffle, is Rodgers going to get better protection this year? How about the running game, are we going to see a workhorse emerge? Is Lacy the guy or is Franklin/Harris going to play a significant role? What about ILB, is Brad Jones going to deliver? How about Terrell Manning?

Some of these I'm reasonably optimistic about, others are big ? marks, and if enough of them don't happen, all it will take is for Ponder to have a decent season for them to give us a serious run for the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts