Barnett weighs in at 230lbs.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quit worrying about players sizes. If they get it done with an intensity and good technique it doesn't matter. There is no prototypical size in the nfl. If there was all linebackerswould have to be about 250 and have to run a 4.3. Kampmon is considered and under sized DE but he got it done for us didn't he.

I don't think anybody ever questioned Kampman's size. The knock on him from the time he was drafted was that he didn't have the natural talent of a Julius Peppers or stud DE. He was a "high motor" guy. As he and Jared Allen proved, "high motor" guys can become outstanding playes since they never quit on plays.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rather stick with Hawk and his big butt than to have Trotter and his big, talentless butt ;)

I do think ILB is a Packers weakness, BTW, but not Barnett. The problem is the other guy (Chillar/Hawk/Bishop).

Maybe it's time to give Bishop his shot. He's been complaining about how he should start. If AJ Hawk is not good enough to see the field vs. Philly, give Bishop his chance.

BTW, I was totally kidding about the Trotter thing. I just remember him being real, real fat by the end of his career.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's time to give Bishop his shot. He's been complaining about how he should start. If AJ Hawk is not good enough to see the field vs. Philly, give Bishop his chance.

BTW, I was totally kidding about the Trotter thing. I just remember him being real, real fat by the end of his career.

I didn't thing you were being serious about Trotter, I was just pulling on your tail, LOL! Had you suggested that 4-5 years ago I would of taken it very seriously as in his day he was a freakin beast. Now he is just an overweight beast.

I agree with your nod to Bishop! Now that is a dang fine idea!

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't thing you were being serious about Trotter, I was just pulling on your tail, LOL! Had you suggested that 4-5 years ago I would of taken it very seriously as in his day he was a freakin beast. Now he is just an overweight beast.

I agree with your nod to Bishop! Now that is a dang fine idea!

The funny thing about Trotter is that the Philly defense needed him to be successful. They brought him back like three times. He ran their defense.

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People were saying that Obiozor should be with the Pack instead of Zombo, now everyone is talking about him turning into a great player... Which I saw in him all this time, but most haven't....

Oh and BTW, Obio is with the Cardinals now.

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With that said, the guy is a beast. He is a sure tackler and the second best linebacker on the team. I believe he is one of the few players on defense the Packers cannot do without. I have no problem with his size. He's solid in run support and coverage.

Just like we went 2-6 without him in the final games of the 08 season...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the way Bishop flies around and hits, but the problem is his flight patterns aren't always in the right direction.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of weight....BARNETT IS A BEAST!! The kid has raw energy and his smarts at the position make up the weight...

How many pro bowls has this beast been to. Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Brian Urlacker(before his injury) and Clay Mathews are beasts. Barnett is not a game changer. No defensive coordinator is staying up all night worrying how to come up with a plan to stop Barnett. Barnett is not a beast. He is an average linebacker who is undersized to play inside linebacker in the 3/4.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is small for an inside linebacker. It's no wonder he has trouble getting off blocks and stopping a running back in his tracks. He is not a head on force. More of a chase and grab tackler. He even mentions getting down to 225 lbs. I thought Brad Jones was undersized but this is ridiculous. This team is a finesse team. I only see 2 players who have mean streaks and play physical(Mathews and Sitton.)

Jonathan Vilma No. 51 New Orleans Saints [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linebacker"]Linebacker[/ame] Personal information Date of birth: April 16, 1982 (1982-04-16) (age 28) Place of birth: Coral Gables, Florida Height: 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) Weight: 230 lb (104 kg) Career information [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_athletic_conferences"]College[/ame]: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami"]Miami (Fla.)[/ame] [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft"]NFL Draft[/ame]: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft"]2004[/ame] / Round: 1 / Pick: 12

the jets thought he was undersized too

NICKBARNETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please dont compair clay to barnett that is dumb not taking anything away for clay he is a beast but he has one job rush the passer. yes he does drop into covrage a couple times but mlb is a diffrent job he calls plays, changes them,covers,blitzes. like people have said when he was hurt we were terrible 2-6 thats proof all of you that say he shouldent start or hes to small you have no proof. those of use that support him do.We had the best run d last year he blows people up you cant have the best run d without a great mlb PERIOD.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we drafted Barnett he was a little light in the ***..........and alls he did was lead the team in tackles a few years. The guy is a stud and I would rather have him than not have him on our team. Now if we picked up one of the top 3 guys coming out in next years draft, I might think differently.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk may not be demonstrative, but I think he's physical and has a mean streak. I've seen it. I like it. He'll bend up Cutler or Forte this week on a tackle.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Hawk may not be demonstrative, but I think he's physical and has a mean streak. I've seen it. I like it. He'll bend up Cutler or Forte this week on a tackle.

Nice link FrankRizzo. Ine of the comments up there was

" Will Bulaga be the guy tasked with blocking Julius Peppers next week? Last year, DE Adewale Ogunleye almost beat GB by himself."

Its funny. I don't think we are going to compare Allen Barbre or whoever was the cause of Ogunleye getting those sacks........to Bulaga. Allen Barbre wore his helmet even when he wasn't playing football. You know. So he wouldn't hurt himself. :happy0005:

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've seen it too. He is very good at taking on blocks and stopping a running back in his tracks. I also think he has good straight line speed and is effective on a delayed blitz. I wish he would have more opportunities to do it. I know what you mean by having a mean streak. I see it in his tackling. I does look like he's really is trying to put on thr hurt. While he has good straight line speed he lacks in lateral quickness. He has bulked up too much since coming out of college and has become too top heavy. It has affected him in pass coverage(probably why they take him out of the nickel and dime packages now). Also the extra bulk has limited his ability to make plays sideline to sideline. It's a shame because that was his strong suit at Ohio State. I haven't given up on him and hope he isn't traded. He is due 10 million in bonus money next year so I think he will be gone unless if he'd be willing to restructure. They need his physicality especially since Barnett, Burnett and Jones are more finesse type players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts