1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Barnett or Collins to wear Defensive headset.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackOne, Jun 1, 2008.

1. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    According to Scout.com McCarthy inferred that either Nick Barnett or Nick Collins would wear the defensive headset. I was only able to read a summary so if anyone has more info that would be great.

2. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I'd rather it be Barnett, but having a safety doing it makes sense, as a message would seem easier to pass down the line.

It won't be Bigby, that's for damn sure. He has a 1 track mind (hit people hard).

I just don't trust Collins or have much man love for him as I used to.

3. PackFanWithTwins

PackFanWithTwins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I would think that FS is the best position for the communications. They are usually the player that calls for defensive adjustment as the teams come to the line. Collins would be good at that, but if the starters are Rouse and Bigby, it may be better to go with Barnett.

4. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with both you and Trom, I think it's a little early to crown Nick the starter.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I thought they had decided against the D having the headset?

6. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The NFL Owners voted in favor of defense also having a head set in a vote held this year at the NFL Owners meeting. Credit the New England Patriots video scandal changing the NFL owners mind concerning the defense having this technology this year.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Phil!
    I thought it had been voted down.
    Thanks for clearing it up for me! :D

8. favre2driver

favre2driver Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The FS is definetly the best position for the headset. COllins should have the starting job, and should be better than last season. If collins loses his job, Barnett should wear it as he is the MLB and leader of the defense.

9. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    I think as far as communication goes... Barnett needs the headset.

hes in the middle so hes always closer than the FS is to the Dline and LB's who also need to hear defensive adjustments. plus hes older... guarenteed to start. would command more respect... so many reasons really.

I'd say Nick is the vocal leader on the defense and i think he is smarter than Collins.

10. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It will be Nick Barnett.

Aaron Rouse will be starting FS by Week 9. No sense having the defensive headset be on the bench.

11. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Exactly Trom.

They do not make head sets that durable. If he was wearing it they would go through three of them a game.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good one RP! :lol:

I agree that Barnett seems to be the leader on D and should wear it.

13. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Greg Jennings should wear the headset just so he can tune it in to pick radio signals when hes standing on the sidelines.

14. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Barnett.

15. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

The defensive headset works just like the offensive one. Turned off once the huddle breaks. So any adjustments are called by a player on the field, not a coach. All it is used for is the relay of the playcall from the coaches to the defense on the field.

16. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Jennings doesn't need the headset.........he can pick up radio signals just with his brain! :lol:

17. PackFanWithTwins

PackFanWithTwins Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactly. The communications is active until 15 seconds remains on the play clock.

I think most of the D adjustments are not in the dline. Most are related to coverage which is why the FS is usually to one to call it out.