Barnett or Collins to wear Defensive headset.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Scout.com McCarthy inferred that either Nick Barnett or Nick Collins would wear the defensive headset. I was only able to read a summary so if anyone has more info that would be great.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather it be Barnett, but having a safety doing it makes sense, as a message would seem easier to pass down the line.

It won't be Bigby, that's for damn sure. He has a 1 track mind (hit people hard).

I just don't trust Collins or have much man love for him as I used to.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that FS is the best position for the communications. They are usually the player that calls for defensive adjustment as the teams come to the line. Collins would be good at that, but if the starters are Rouse and Bigby, it may be better to go with Barnett.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think that FS is the best position for the communications. They are usually the player that calls for defensive adjustment as the teams come to the line. Collins would be good at that, but if the starters are Rouse and Bigby, it may be better to go with Barnett.

I agree with both you and Trom, I think it's a little early to crown Nick the starter.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL Owners voted in favor of defense also having a head set in a vote held this year at the NFL Owners meeting. Credit the New England Patriots video scandal changing the NFL owners mind concerning the defense having this technology this year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL Owners voted in favor of defense also having a head set in a vote held this year at the NFL Owners meeting. Credit the New England Patriots video scandal changing the NFL owners mind concerning the defense having this technology this year.
Thanks Phil!
I thought it had been voted down.
Thanks for clearing it up for me! :D

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The FS is definetly the best position for the headset. COllins should have the starting job, and should be better than last season. If collins loses his job, Barnett should wear it as he is the MLB and leader of the defense.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think as far as communication goes... Barnett needs the headset.

hes in the middle so hes always closer than the FS is to the Dline and LB's who also need to hear defensive adjustments. plus hes older... guarenteed to start. would command more respect... so many reasons really.

I'd say Nick is the vocal leader on the defense and i think he is smarter than Collins.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be Nick Barnett.

Aaron Rouse will be starting FS by Week 9. No sense having the defensive headset be on the bench.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
It won't be Bigby, that's for damn sure. He has a 1 track mind (hit people hard).

Exactly Trom.

They do not make head sets that durable. If he was wearing it they would go through three of them a game.
Good one RP! :lol:

I agree that Barnett seems to be the leader on D and should wear it.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings should wear the headset just so he can tune it in to pick radio signals when hes standing on the sidelines.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

hes in the middle so hes always closer than the FS is to the Dline and LB's who also need to hear defensive adjustments. .

The defensive headset works just like the offensive one. Turned off once the huddle breaks. So any adjustments are called by a player on the field, not a coach. All it is used for is the relay of the playcall from the coaches to the defense on the field.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg Jennings should wear the headset just so he can tune it in to pick radio signals when hes standing on the sidelines.
Jennings doesn't need the headset.........he can pick up radio signals just with his brain! :lol:

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:

hes in the middle so hes always closer than the FS is to the Dline and LB's who also need to hear defensive adjustments. .

The defensive headset works just like the offensive one. Turned off once the huddle breaks. So any adjustments are called by a player on the field, not a coach. All it is used for is the relay of the playcall from the coaches to the defense on the field.

Not exactly. The communications is active until 15 seconds remains on the play clock.

I think most of the D adjustments are not in the dline. Most are related to coverage which is why the FS is usually to one to call it out.

Latest posts