Bargain guys we could go after

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...reen-bay-packers-should-target-in-free-agency

I tend to agree with that article.

These are the types of cheap FAs I can see TT going after. Some of these names are interesting. All are younger players too.

DT Linval Joseph (Giants)
ILB Brandon Spikes (Pats)
FS Chris Clemons (Dolphins)
TE Garrett Graham (Texans)
DE Tyson Jackson (Chiefs)

All of these guys could be had relatively cheap too.

Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 6794

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...reen-bay-packers-should-target-in-free-agency

I tend to agree with that article.

These are the types of cheap FAs I can see TT going after. Some of these names are interesting. All are younger players too.

DT Linval Joseph (Giants)
ILB Brandon Spikes (Pats)
FS Chris Clemons (Dolphins)
TE Garrett Graham (Texans)
DE Tyson Jackson (Chiefs)

All of these guys could be had relatively cheap too.

Thoughts?

Clemons would be a great choice if my pipe dream of getting Byrd doesn't come true. Would be all in favour of signing Garrett Graham as well.

Joseph, Jackson and Spikes would all improve our run defense, but add no pass rush at all. In addition Spikes wouldn't be able to cover a parked car.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Michael Rodney who owns the Packer Update website has another name to add to the list: ILB Vincent Rey. He received the low tender so Cincinnati has the right to match but Rodney thinks a contract of about $3M/year would get the 26-year old in Green Bay. I'm not sure how much attention tendered players receive and more important, like many of the UFAs available, I'm not sure how Rey would fit in Green Bay. But rotoworld says the Packers would save $1.925M by releasing Brad Jones. If Rodney is right about Rey... http://packerupdate.net/?p=31175

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Vrill.

As an aside, I'm so damn sick of bleacher report structuring all of its "articles" as slideshows. They do it for the extra clicks/advertising revenue but it's ****ing obnoxious. Much of their content isn't worth reading but when there's a fun one like this, it makes me wish they would organize it on a single page like the big boy websites.

D

Deleted member 6794

Michael Rodney who owns the Packer Update website has another name to add to the list: ILB Vincent Rey. He received the low tender so Cincinnati has the right to match but Rodney thinks a contract of about $3M/year would get the 26-year old in Green Bay. I'm not sure how much attention tendered players receive and more important, like many of the UFAs available, I'm not sure how Rey would fit in Green Bay. But rotoworld says the Packers would save $1.925M by releasing Brad Jones. If Rodney is right about Rey... http://packerupdate.net/?p=31175

I like Vincent Rey as well and he might want to get out of Cincinnati because he won´t get a lot of playing time there behind Maualuga and Burfict. Another positive thing is that although the Bengals can match any offer for him we wouldn´t have to give up a draft pick for him as he entered the league as an undrafted rookie.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if he'll be cheap, but a veteran LB just became available in Lamar Woodley. He might be a good plug in Capers' defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if he'll be cheap, but a veteran LB just became available in Lamar Woodley. He might be a good plug in Capers' defense.

I want the Packers to sign some free agents to fill some holes as well, but I'm tired of some guys bringing up every single free agent that becomes available. Still gotta be smart spending in FA.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like Woodley and the attitude he would bring. But 2010 was the last season he played in its entirety. If we sign a FA, I hope 'durability' is one of the higher criteria the decision is made.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny that you bring up Woodley here while advising TT to be very careful signing outside free agents because of various reasons. Can't have it both ways.
Captain - you can't just start making things up. I posted in a different thread that TT looks for value FAs, and similar to Newsome, pays more to retain his own guys because there are less unknowns.

There is nothing contradictory about being wary of outside FAs.

Keep reaching

H

HardRightEdge

I think you're on the right track. The $1.925 mil Jones savings is also noted at overthecap.com ($3.925 cap number - $2 mil dead cap).

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2014

With the difficulties in the back 7 last season, changes need to be made. One safety replacement is not sufficient to cure what ails. Burnett can't be replaced because we paid him too much money; he gets a second year under this deal to clean up his act. Perry's under a cheap rookie deal and has the excuse of serial injuries. Hawk is the play caller and continuity factor.

It would not be hard to conclude that Jones overachieved in 2012 and might have been a tape fake-out. Further, even at Jones' best, the physicality of Bishop remained sorely missed.

Keep in mind: McCarthy loves Barrington and it sure sounds like Barrington/Jones will be the competitive situation.

Thompson's free agent mission, if he chooses to accept it, ought to be S, D-Line and TE, whether it's our incumbents or otherwise.

D

Deleted member 6794

Captain - you can't just start making things up. I posted in a different thread that TT looks for value FAs, and similar to Newsome, pays more to retain his own guys because there are less unknowns.

There is nothing contradictory about being wary of outside FAs.

Keep reaching

The contradiction in your posts is the fact that you want TT to be wary about outside free agents but you want him to sign Woodley, who at 30 years old, will stay ask for a lot of money and was cut by the Steelers although they didn´t save any cap space with the move and will count more than $14 million vs. their cap in dead money.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The contradiction in your posts is the fact that you want TT to be wary about outside free agents but you want him to sign Woodley, who at 30 years old, will stay ask for a lot of money and was cut by the Steelers although they didn´t save any cap space with the move and will count more than $14 million vs. their cap in dead money.
'
'Wary' is different than 'avoid'. If you wish to prove your point, adding his post where the contradiction occurs would be powerfully persuasive.

But I agree - we should not sign Woodley. Too much injury risk and we have enough injury issues.

Members online

Latest posts