Assistant Coaches

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's that boring time between mini-camps and training camp - the summer doldrums. I'd like to hear what some of you think of Matt LeFleur's coaching staff. It seems a no-brainer that most think that Adam Stenovich is doing great. Then again, it could just be a great job by the GMs putting horses in the stable.

Whom else is doing well out there for us?

Who are our best? Who are our up-and-comers?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You brought up Stenovich. I think he is a lot better than Campen was. I see a better combination of run and pass block. Not only pass pro as seemed to me to be the case with Campen. And I think it was on Campen and not the players. But I was really disappointed in our choice of both OTs against Tampa. Just bad thinking imho. And no changes during the game. Now maybe he was over-ruled by someone. I could not know that.
I'm worried about the new D coordinator because of all his rah rah stuff. But anything will be an improvement I hope. And I hope he was picked by LaFleur.
Special teams coach. He was already here...right? So he is totally suspect. Now that is a position coach that probably benefits from the rah rah stuff.
Just my off the cuff remarks as I don't really know a lot about the coaches. But I do know they are very important.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not so much into background and X's and O's, so I don't know what I'd be looking for. He was only there for a year, right? Would be interested in and explanation of the similarities. Thanks.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier this summer I was listening to a podcast (possibly the Packers.com one) while on a bike ride. I remember them bring up special teams coach Maurice Drayton because he surprised them. I don't fully remember the discussion, but it sounded like the podcast guys were seriously impressed by the enthusiasm, the focus on fundamentals, and the intensity that Drayton was bringing to minicamp/OTAs/etc. New coaches often bring that in the beginning, but obviously it has to translate into success on the field. However, at least these guys made it sound like Drayton was a breath of fresh air....even if he was on the previous coaching staff.

As a side discussion, I never mind promoting an assistant. In my years, I have worked for many "bosses" that I disagreed with their approach. I did what they asked and when presented with the opportunity to take over, brought my own style and direction to the effort. So in a situation like Drayton, I'm always willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Latest posts