Arod and the screen

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I am sure Arod reads these posts; I will offer one small piece of advice. He has no arch or touch on his screen pass throws. It is always a bullet and often too low. Now I don't want the ball to go in slow motion and yes one or two were dropped. But he needs to have more touch on those throws. Agree? or not.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on one of them yes, but most of the ones I remember, no. I remember a lot of traffic around, you don't want to be floating to many of those or someone comes slicing in and takes it to the house. But yes, overall, the passes have just been off, and when they haven't been off, Starks is dropping them.

H

HardRightEdge

He had this problem earlier in his career, even in MVP years, then cleaned it up over the last couple. That screen/check down/swing touch does look off again.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too many short easy swing passes missed. The one Starks dropped he had blockers in front of him and missed a big gain.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true that Rodgers struggles on screens as he doesn't set his feet on short throws, solely relying on his arm strength so he can get rid of the ball more quickly.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but he could still put some touch on it. That should be so obvious and yet the coaches don't change it.

H

HardRightEdge

It's true that Rodgers struggles on screens as he doesn't set his feet on short throws, solely relying on his arm strength so he can get rid of the ball more quickly.
I think this is true in general. His footwork looks a little off. Nobody in the game can throw with more velocity off the back foot, across the body or off balance, so the issue is not immediately apparent.

I don't think it's sloppiness or falling in love with his arm...the chemistry is just not there yet, and he's throwing off rhythm.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one Starks dropped he had blockers in front of him and missed a big gain.
Let's not forget the play prior, which I believe was also to Starks over the middle and Rodgers flat out missed him. Two in a row. I read that McGinn placed the blame equally on both Starks and Rodgers for the screen, saying that it was tough to tell.

Obviously you don't want to float passes, but having touch with the right speed on short passes is an important skill set. He should be able to do it, but hasn't lately. Then again, I'm not convinced that screens were a necessary strategy against NY as they rarely blitzed and mostly only brought pressure with four. Screens are best employed as a counter to heavy pass rush pressure.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One good thing about the game was that Aaron threw the screen pass much better. He put a little touch on the throws and did not aim so much. Made for easy throw and catches. The one other thing he needs to do on these plays is not throw it when there is nothing there. I am not worried about the Green Bay Packers. It will be tough to catch the vikings but all we need is a wild card spot. Rodgers will come out of this slump. He needed to eat some humble pie and he may be even a better QB as we go forward. All imho

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not worried about the Green Bay Packers.

The Packers got soundly beat by a team not a lot of posters around here considered playoff bound. There are a lot of reasons to be concerned.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since I am sure Arod reads these posts;.
You jest!

I'm sure NFL players avoid websites such as this and probably everything else media related to football so they can stay focused on the game and the team.

I would be surprised to find out if there is even one Packers player or the water boy who reads "Ask Vick" on the Packers website.
Hell, I'm a fan and even I don't read him because I can't stand him.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all Forget Favre...give me a break. And Wimm...that is how I choose to feel at this time. We could have easily been in that game even though we looked horrible. I am looking forward to a good season. I do really believe that Rodgers needed to realize he is not perfect and I am very hopeful that he will have an attitude adjustment and start playing like we all know he can. imho

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

The gentleman is entitled to his opinion guys. I actually agree with him.

D

Deleted member 6794

And Wimm...that is how I choose to feel at this time. We could have easily been in that game even though we looked horrible. I am looking forward to a good season. I do really believe that Rodgers needed to realize he is not perfect and I am very hopeful that he will have an attitude adjustment and start playing like we all know he can. imho

Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I'm but in my opinion one of the major reasons the Packers offense has struggled over the last 20 games is the fact that the coaching staff and players decide to ignore shortcomings and expected the unit to get back on track without making any drastic adjustments. That hasn't worked so far though.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I'm but in my opinion one of the major reasons the Packers offense has struggled over the last 20 games is the fact that the coaching staff and players decide to ignore shortcomings and expected the unit to get back on track without making any drastic adjustments. That hasn't worked so far though.
No it hasn't, and that's what we've been saying this entire time.

I think Rodgers is broken mentally, and it's up to the coaching staff to "fix" him, a problem they are mainly responsible for to begin with. If their response to this is to keep doing the same thing and expecting Rodgers to improve, then I hope they are sent packing.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts