1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Are we the deepest team in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GoPGo, Aug 28, 2014.

1. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    I'm sitting here looking at roster positions for the final cuts and I've got to say, out of the guys likely to make the team, I can't find a single one that I'd be worried about putting on the field for a few possessions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    In some areas. Rodgers goes down again and you have a .500 team but thats what happens when your QB is the best player in the nfl, its a huge talent drop off no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +453
    D-line depth and O-line depth currently isn't ideal imo. Otherwise, I think we're ready for a 16 game season. Probably more so than most of the other teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
    The D-Line depth is questionable.

Daniels and Jones are the front line guys at both 5-tech in base and 3-tech in nickel. They're looking at a lot of snaps; one would prefer they have something in the tank come playoff time (if that happens to be our good fortune). The incredible shrinking Neal looks too lean for the task at either 5 or 3. I'm sure Peppers could play either 5-tech or 3-tech, but he should be on limited snaps and he has greater value at OLB. Otherwise, in the absense of Jones or Daniels, we're back to playing big body guys 5 and 3, and that undoes a lot of the scheme changes.

At NT, Boyd in unproven; Guion is not in shape and might still be nursing that hamstring; Pennel and Robinson or Gray are rookies who will make mistakes against crafty first string vets.

The O-Line depth is questionable. Tretter's outlook is murky. Sherrod looks frighteningly up and down in pass protection. Taylor is marginal. Sitton or Lang backing up the center is something nobody should want to see.

At TE, none of these guys are what I would call reliable in-line blockers...we don't have the kinds of guys you'd want in for short yardage.

At OLB, the fact our best backup edge rusher is a rookie undrafted free agent from Toledo should give one pause. Has anyone forgotten how disjointed the defense looked with Neal, Perry, et. al. manning the edges?

At ILB, while I like what I've seen of Barrington he's never taken an NFL snap. Stirring halftime speeches notwithstanding, Lattimore is another guy who tends to be all over the place.

The depth is at backup QB (though the big drop off would likely end playoff hopes), TB, WR and the secondary.

But we look thin in the trenches and that's not encouraging. An injury to any of the current O-Line starters looks highly iffy as does an injury to Daniels or Jones (and I don't think it's clear Jones is all that good to start with).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    IMO the OP is overly optimistic. Of course if every starter is healthy for all but "a few possessions" ... unfortunately that's not how injuries work and just a few possessions isn't really a test of depth. How about, 'the Packers are deeper than they were during the last couple of seasons'?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I'll buy into this. Every team gets injuries but the Packers have been towards the top of that list every season and still have won a Super Bowl and won a few division titles. That speaks volumes for our depth. I think that our depth is even better this season but incrementally so. OL and ILB are my biggest worries, if I were a worrywart.

7. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +845
    I'm talking about comparison to other teams from #1-53. I don't see a deeper team in the NFL. As I said, I would be okay with everyone on the roster seeing PT, not that I'd want to have to start any of them. In the past, there's always been a few guys I'd never want to see on the field at all. I just don't see that this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jordyruns

Jordyruns Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +175
    After reading some posters on this forum I can conclude there is no way this team is the deepest in the NFL with TT as our GM. Silly question.

I all seriousness I would assume it is a top 5 deepest team without a doubt.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  9. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    We will find out soon enough when we see how many of GB's final cuts end up on other teams...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Fair enough - I was commenting on being OK with everyone seeing PT. Except for end-of-game "garbage time" I wouldn't be. With regard to the depth of the other 31 teams, I have not and will not do an analysis of every other team's 1-53# (which would be particularly difficult since we won't know who they are until tomorrow).

11. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +437
    If you wanted to nit pick it I think we could use another quality D-lineman but other then that this team is "stacked". I said before camp this was the best roster TT had ever assembled and got a lot of heat for it on here. Now pre-season is over and it has moved one step closer to being that. After Hawks game it will become even more evident.

12. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The Packers draft is the largest method the team uses to find players. Coach McCarthy and staff research the players prior to the draft. The Coach and his staff pick who they want to draft, TT handles the contracts. TT takes the credit, but he would be lost without Coach McCarthy. To get a quality FA , I can't imagine the pressure it takes to get TT to force open his wallet . :sneaky:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  13. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    :roflmao: So this poster must think Thompson's first two draft picks (Rodgers and Collins) were due to Mike Sherman and his staff! Sure, no credibility problems with this post. :rolleyes:

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    You mean like when TT took a pathetic Seattle team and got them to the SB?

15. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Coach McCarthy and most of the coaching staff were at my place on the beach in St. Thomas getting drunk and snorkeling most of the offseason. It was the custodial staff at the combine and pro days. Give credit where credit is due.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    Wow!!! That's really deep man.

17. BenLinus

BenLinus Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes

18. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    The jury is still out on the defense, which begins with the front 7. The concept of going with a smaller, more agile defensive line makes as much sense as going with a smaller, more agile offensive line--which we abandoned some years ago. The game still comes down primarily to controlling the LOS, and you do that with LARGER, more agile players on both sides of the ball, imo.

19. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I posted a statistic about the average weight of the defensive lines of all teams that played a base 3-4 defense last season some weeks ago and I wasn´t able to find any correlation to the success of stopping the run.

It´s not about the size of the defensive linemen, it all comes down to talent on the front 7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TJV

Ratings:
    +4,176
    captainWIMM, what bet did you lose to AmishMafia and how long do you have to keep your current signature?

21. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I thought Lyerla would be the starter at TE in week 1, one of my better ideas over the last few weeks ;) I think we settled on until next year´s draft, not sure about it though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  22. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    hahahaha........I`ve only just noticed that

23. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I didn't change it until some hours ago, was still holding out hope this is just a nightmare and I wake up to realize Lyerla was putting up huge numbers during the preseason. ;)

The good thing about it though is that I mostly use my mobile phone to post on the forum on which I don't see any signatures.:D

24. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    Oh trust me...lol, you might not be able to see it mate but its there.....:laugh:

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Oh, I'm well aware of that, but at least I don't see it all the time. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1