Are we the deepest team in the NFL?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sitting here looking at roster positions for the final cuts and I've got to say, out of the guys likely to make the team, I can't find a single one that I'd be worried about putting on the field for a few possessions.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In some areas. Rodgers goes down again and you have a .500 team but thats what happens when your QB is the best player in the nfl, its a huge talent drop off no matter what.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
D-line depth and O-line depth currently isn't ideal imo. Otherwise, I think we're ready for a 16 game season. Probably more so than most of the other teams.

H

HardRightEdge

The D-Line depth is questionable.

Daniels and Jones are the front line guys at both 5-tech in base and 3-tech in nickel. They're looking at a lot of snaps; one would prefer they have something in the tank come playoff time (if that happens to be our good fortune). The incredible shrinking Neal looks too lean for the task at either 5 or 3. I'm sure Peppers could play either 5-tech or 3-tech, but he should be on limited snaps and he has greater value at OLB. Otherwise, in the absense of Jones or Daniels, we're back to playing big body guys 5 and 3, and that undoes a lot of the scheme changes.

At NT, Boyd in unproven; Guion is not in shape and might still be nursing that hamstring; Pennel and Robinson or Gray are rookies who will make mistakes against crafty first string vets.

The O-Line depth is questionable. Tretter's outlook is murky. Sherrod looks frighteningly up and down in pass protection. Taylor is marginal. Sitton or Lang backing up the center is something nobody should want to see.

At TE, none of these guys are what I would call reliable in-line blockers...we don't have the kinds of guys you'd want in for short yardage.

At OLB, the fact our best backup edge rusher is a rookie undrafted free agent from Toledo should give one pause. Has anyone forgotten how disjointed the defense looked with Neal, Perry, et. al. manning the edges?

At ILB, while I like what I've seen of Barrington he's never taken an NFL snap. Stirring halftime speeches notwithstanding, Lattimore is another guy who tends to be all over the place.

The depth is at backup QB (though the big drop off would likely end playoff hopes), TB, WR and the secondary.

But we look thin in the trenches and that's not encouraging. An injury to any of the current O-Line starters looks highly iffy as does an injury to Daniels or Jones (and I don't think it's clear Jones is all that good to start with).

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the OP is overly optimistic. Of course if every starter is healthy for all but "a few possessions" ... unfortunately that's not how injuries work and just a few possessions isn't really a test of depth. How about, 'the Packers are deeper than they were during the last couple of seasons'?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll buy into this. Every team gets injuries but the Packers have been towards the top of that list every season and still have won a Super Bowl and won a few division titles. That speaks volumes for our depth. I think that our depth is even better this season but incrementally so. OL and ILB are my biggest worries, if I were a worrywart.

OP
OP
GoPGo

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the OP is overly optimistic. Of course if every starter is healthy for all but "a few possessions" ... unfortunately that's not how injuries work and just a few possessions isn't really a test of depth. How about, 'the Packers are deeper than they were during the last couple of seasons'?

I'm talking about comparison to other teams from #1-53. I don't see a deeper team in the NFL. As I said, I would be okay with everyone on the roster seeing PT, not that I'd want to have to start any of them. In the past, there's always been a few guys I'd never want to see on the field at all. I just don't see that this year.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading some posters on this forum I can conclude there is no way this team is the deepest in the NFL with TT as our GM. Silly question.

I all seriousness I would assume it is a top 5 deepest team without a doubt.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
We will find out soon enough when we see how many of GB's final cuts end up on other teams...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm talking about comparison to other teams from #1-53. I don't see a deeper team in the NFL. As I said, I would be okay with everyone on the roster seeing PT, not that I'd want to have to start any of them. In the past, there's always been a few guys I'd never want to see on the field at all. I just don't see that this year.
Fair enough - I was commenting on being OK with everyone seeing PT. Except for end-of-game "garbage time" I wouldn't be. With regard to the depth of the other 31 teams, I have not and will not do an analysis of every other team's 1-53# (which would be particularly difficult since we won't know who they are until tomorrow).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

If you wanted to nit pick it I think we could use another quality D-lineman but other then that this team is "stacked". I said before camp this was the best roster TT had ever assembled and got a lot of heat for it on here. Now pre-season is over and it has moved one step closer to being that. After Hawks game it will become even more evident.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

After reading some posters on this thread I can conclude there is no way this team is the deepest in the NFL with TT as our GM. Silly question.

I all seriousness I would assume it is a top 5 deepest team without a doubt.

The Packers draft is the largest method the team uses to find players. Coach McCarthy and staff research the players prior to the draft. The Coach and his staff pick who they want to draft, TT handles the contracts. TT takes the credit, but he would be lost without Coach McCarthy. To get a quality FA , I can't imagine the pressure it takes to get TT to force open his wallet . :sneaky:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Coach McCarthy and staff research the players prior to the draft. ... TT takes the credit, but he would be lost without Coach McCarthy.
:roflmao: So this poster must think Thompson's first two draft picks (Rodgers and Collins) were due to Mike Sherman and his staff! Sure, no credibility problems with this post. :rolleyes:

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The Packers draft is the largest method the team uses to find players. Coach McCarthy and staff research the players prior to the draft. The Coach and his staff pick who they want to draft, TT handles the contracts. TT takes the credit, but he would be lost without Coach McCarthy. To get a quality FA , I can't imagine the pressure it takes to get TT to force open his wallet . :sneaky:
You mean like when TT took a pathetic Seattle team and got them to the SB?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach McCarthy and most of the coaching staff were at my place on the beach in St. Thomas getting drunk and snorkeling most of the offseason. It was the custodial staff at the combine and pro days. Give credit where credit is due.

BenLinus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sitting here looking at roster positions for the final cuts and I've got to say, out of the guys likely to make the team, I can't find a single one that I'd be worried about putting on the field for a few possessions.
Yes

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The jury is still out on the defense, which begins with the front 7. The concept of going with a smaller, more agile defensive line makes as much sense as going with a smaller, more agile offensive line--which we abandoned some years ago. The game still comes down primarily to controlling the LOS, and you do that with LARGER, more agile players on both sides of the ball, imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

The jury is still out on the defense, which begins with the front 7. The concept of going with a smaller, more agile defensive line makes as much sense as going with a smaller, more agile offensive line--which we abandoned some years ago. The game still comes down primarily to controlling the LOS, and you do that with LARGER, more agile players on both sides of the ball, imo.

I posted a statistic about the average weight of the defensive lines of all teams that played a base 3-4 defense last season some weeks ago and I wasn´t able to find any correlation to the success of stopping the run.

It´s not about the size of the defensive linemen, it all comes down to talent on the front 7.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
captainWIMM, what bet did you lose to AmishMafia and how long do you have to keep your current signature?

D

Deleted member 6794

captainWIMM, what bet did you lose to AmishMafia and how long do you have to keep your current signature?

I thought Lyerla would be the starter at TE in week 1, one of my better ideas over the last few weeks ;) I think we settled on until next year´s draft, not sure about it though.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I thought Lyerla would be the starter at TE in week 1, one of my better ideas over the last few weeks ;) I think we settled on until next year´s draft, not sure about it though.

hahahaha........I`ve only just noticed that

D

Deleted member 6794

hahahaha........I`ve only just noticed that

I didn't change it until some hours ago, was still holding out hope this is just a nightmare and I wake up to realize Lyerla was putting up huge numbers during the preseason. ;)

The good thing about it though is that I mostly use my mobile phone to post on the forum on which I don't see any signatures.:D

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I didn't change it until some hours ago, was still holding out hope this is just a nightmare and I wake up to realize Lyerla was putting up huge numbers during the preseason. ;)

The good thing about it though is that I mostly use my mobile phone to post on the forum on which I don't see any signatures.:D

Oh trust me...lol, you might not be able to see it mate but its there.....:laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts