Anyone else feeling queesy about our depth chart?

12theTruth

Go back and look at pre season threads..Its the same thing every year..

Yeh, but not every year have the Packers top 2 starting wideouts missed the entire preseason of getting a snap with their QB, thus creating the need for potentially more time to build the timing. Once again with an "altered" offensive line.

I'd like to think that each preseason stands on its own set of circumstances.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
And isn't an excellent way to prepare against schemes that other defenses employ. Simple as that. Without a preseason, you will get a trial by fire without adequate time to fully assess the rookies and short term NFL players. Two games would be an improvement over 4 games though. Starters or backups it didn't matter, we seen a glaring deficiency for the Packers offensive line to get to the second level. Training camp gets a player physically ready and the fundamental down pat, but to truly develop they need the experience against other schemes from other teams.
Methinks a typo, because that's what I'm saying. Preseason is terrible for preparing for other schemes because of the nature of the schemes being called. It's an extra practice to get players snaps to help young players learn your system better, since they play scout team all year long. Which BTW is IMO much better to prepare for opposing schemes.

2 games would mean the starters play a little more, which means the backups play a LOT less. A lot less tape of a lot fewer snaps to make decisions in half the time. Undermines the entire purpose. Preseason is not the regular season, let no one fool you. Trial by fire still happens week 1.

Look at the lines the OL faced. Admittedly, they lost their 1 on 1s, especially EDS, but we faced great lines. Timing was off too. The flop is showing effects, feet are confused.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Almost everyone you saw after that is probably gone anyway. Who is really going to stay from Hughes, Datko, Lane, Van Roten and Lewis?

Van Roten? Maybe Lane? Strictly as backups, that's for sure.
Sadly, Lewis was pushing GVR for the interior back up spot. Yes strictly back ups, may they never see the field.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeh, but they only put the starters in for about 3 plays on the offensive line from what I've been told. Leave your ENTIRE starting team in for 10-20 plays together. The abysmal part referred to the backups on O-line.

Wait...You didnt even see the game and are basing your opinion on what others have said or what yo have read?

12theTruth

Methinks a typo, because that's what I'm saying. Preseason is terrible for preparing for other schemes because of the nature of the schemes being called. It's an extra practice to get players snaps to help young players learn your system better, since they play scout team all year long. Which BTW is IMO much better to prepare for opposing schemes.

2 games would mean the starters play a little more, which means the backups play a LOT less. A lot less tape of a lot fewer snaps to make decisions in half the time. Undermines the entire purpose. Preseason is not the regular season, let no one fool you. Trial by fire still happens week 1.

Look at the lines the OL faced. Admittedly, they lost their 1 on 1s, especially EDS, but we faced great lines. Timing was off too. The flop is showing effects, feet are confused.

Its a component not ultimate but not 'terrible' either. In practice your own players can't effectively replicate what the other teams run. The players of the other teams run their style of defense each and every day giving a truer test of what its like to play that kind of defense and scheme.

Preseason whether it be 2 or 4 games can provide good litmus test whether the rookies or positional groups are making strides in their areas of weakness and this is on top of the conclusions drawn for training camp.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20130829/PKR01/308290466/

Mike McCarthy’s main mission was to come out of the Green Bay Packers’ preseason finale with his most important players healthy and an extended evaluation of backups vying for the last few spots on his roster.

Our health is as good as it can be,” McCarthy said. “It was part of some of our decisions on who played, how much players played, so we’ll see how those guys are when we get back on the field Monday.”

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Its a component not ultimate but not 'terrible' either. In practice your own players can't effectively replicate what the other teams run. The players of the other teams run their style of defense each and every day giving a truer test of what its like to play that kind of defense and scheme.

Preseason whether it be 2 or 4 games can provide good litmus test whether the rookies or positional groups are making strides in their areas of weakness and this is on top of the conclusions drawn for training camp.
Yes, yes you can. Scheme is incredibly easy to replicate, both plays and player tendencies show up on tape. You can try to argue the quality of players, but your scrubs play their scrubs, so that's out the window. It's not just about the rookies and the starters. It's more about the backups and the fringe guys. You don't really know **** about your rookies when preseason begins, so how are you seeing how they are coming along?

Position drills can show whether your players are making strides in their areas of weakness. Preseason identifies weaknesses that may not have shown up in drills, and gives extra reps to practice that weakness in awkward situations. Pure and simple, it's getting experience in your system in different situations against a team better than the ones you faced in college, but not as good as the ones you'll face in the regular season.. It doesn't matter the opponent, scheme be damned. It's about knowing what you're supposed to do, not what the other team is going to do.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers pre season stats

9/16 o tds 1 int

6/15 46 yards o td o int

20/ 28 218 yards 1 td o int

He didnt look good in pre season either before he started...Regular season action helps more than pre season

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It's about knowing your responsibility and learning how to play your position, and finding out how well the rookies game translates to the NFL and how they play the position on this level. So you can fix them. There are things you can't really find out in practice, even in the scrimmages.

12theTruth

Yes, yes you can. Scheme is incredibly easy to replicate, both plays and player tendencies show up on tape. You can try to argue the quality of players, but your scrubs play their scrubs, so that's out the window. It's not just about the rookies and the starters. It's more about the backups and the fringe guys. You don't really know **** about your rookies when preseason begins, so how are you seeing how they are coming along?

Position drills can show whether your players are making strides in their areas of weakness. Preseason identifies weaknesses that may not have shown up in drills, and gives extra reps to practice that weakness in awkward situations. Pure and simple, it's getting experience in your system in different situations against a team better than the ones you faced in college, but not as good as the ones you'll face in the regular season.. It doesn't matter the opponent, scheme be damned. It's about knowing what you're supposed to do, not what the other team is going to do.
Rodgers pre season stats

9/16 o tds 1 int

6/15 46 yards o td o int

20/ 28 218 yards 1 td o int

He didnt look good in pre season either before he started...Regular season action helps more than pre season

I never said the preseason was the end all be all. I simply stated I felt that Rodgers should have had more snaps with both starting wideouts and the starting offensive line before they go into the live fire of the regular season. Thus the conversation evolved from there. And I still don't see how saying the offensive line as a whole is pretty terrible is somehow "going off the deep end" or suggesting maybe some critical players getting a bit more reps is either. Especially considering the Number 1 offense has stalled more than it revved up this preseason.

We shall see though starting September 8th. We all know the offense is prolific. Its just a matter of how much will the offensive line adversely affect the performance and how long will it take before Rodgers and company go full throttle as to his aerial attack.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Biggest Q in my mind? First year Rodgers doesn't have a decent clipboard backup. How will this affect our offense with our timing already an unknown?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest Q in my mind? First year Rodgers doesn't have a decent clipboard backup. How will this affect our offense with our timing already an unknown?

This is true...first year that the 2nd guy will not be as familiar with the GB system...good point.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score

I feel good about VY as our backup. If Rodgers goes down for any period of time it's unlikely we will make the playoffs anyway, especially with the schedule we have this year. What VY lacks in his accuracy right now he can make up for with his legs. Don't forget he has been out of football for a year, came to camp late, no OTA's and is in a learning process with our offense and still Knocking rust off. How many backup QB's are available that have won playoff games. Give him some time.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I feel good about VY as our backup. If Rodgers goes down for any period of time it's unlikely we will make the playoffs anyway, especially with the schedule we have this year. What VY lacks in his accuracy right now he can make up for with his legs. Don't forget he has been out of football for a year, came to camp late, no OTA's and is in a learning process with our offense and still Knocking rust off. How many backup QB's are available that have won playoff games. Give him some time.
I just made all of those same exact arguments for VY on the queasy thread. The only "talent" of Young's that I'm worried about is how adept he is at hitting the LB down the field. I'm not talking about VY playing, it's him holding the clipboard, watching the defense, and relaying info to AR that has me curious. Nuance of noticing something the defense is doing that can be exploited from the sideline. I'm not sure he's as suited to that role as Flynn and Harrell. That's all I was saying. AR can make his own reads, but it is an interesting wrinkle to keep an eye on.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That game was ugly but for buggybill2003: Yes, you can be assured they can and will play better than that. Much, much better.

For any fans panicking about preseason, buckle your seatbelts because the regular season will be anything but a cakewalk and along the way no doubt you’ll have reason to escalate your panic. But keep this in mind: The preseason is indeed meaningless and even the beginning of the regular season isn’t determinative. Even young Packers fans know a team can begin the season 3-3, end up 10-6 and win it all. And they also know a team can win its first 13 games and then lose its first playoff game.

I don’t expect the Packers to beat the 49ers two Sundays from now and if they don’t I won’t panic because it’s not how a team begins the season but how its playing at the end. If the Packers open the season with a win I’ll be extremely happy but I won’t pencil them in for the Super Bowl for the same reason.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That game was ugly but for buggybill2003: Yes, you can be assured they can and will play better than that. Much, much better.

For any fans panicking about preseason, buckle your seatbelts because the regular season will be anything but a cakewalk and along the way no doubt you’ll have reason to escalate your panic. But keep this in mind: The preseason is indeed meaningless and even the beginning of the regular season isn’t determinative. Even young Packers fans know a team can begin the season 3-3, end up 10-6 and win it all. And they also know a team can win its first 13 games and then lose its first playoff game.

I don’t expect the Packers to beat the 49ers two Sundays from now and if they don’t I won’t panic because it’s not how a team begins the season but how its playing at the end. If the Packers open the season with a win I’ll be extremely happy but I won’t pencil them in for the Super Bowl for the same reason.

Thank you TJV...see I remembered ? Thankfully the tranquillizers are working now. :D

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we could see McMillan or House gone during cuts. and maybe both. House has been out played by other CB's Heyward specifically, and since Hyde can play both S and CB I count him here too. At best I say we COULD keep House as the Dime, nothing higher. McMillan has been outplayed by Hyde and if need be we could move Heyward inside I think.

A while back I was verbally berated by HypnoGrey and others for being concerned about the backup center position, and where we stand now, we don't have a viable option! Van Roten can't snap in the shotgun, and his reflexes are bad. He has to go, and with him gone, who is the backup? I haven't seen Tretter yet to see what if anything he can do because he was injured. You can't move Bakhtiari inside cause you really don't have a blindside backup Tackle. Only thing I can think we could possibly do if we needed to was move Barclay in to guard have Lang play Center and bring Newhouse in to play RT, and I don't think any of us like the idea of having Newhouse in a game situation anymore.

Backup QB I really think Mike and Ted kicked this one bad. I get it we've got Young cheap, he's a mobile QB, and we may never need him, but based on last night's performance, we might've been better with Harrell as the backup and Young as the third stringer. We'll see, but this move is scaring me.

Special Teams: Let's fire Slocum to start with, and get rid of Crosby. Now however, since we can't get rid of Crosby, I like the restructuring of his deal. Make him earn the money he hasn't been for the last 2 years.

Defensive Line: I think we're strong here. I can see 9 guys that could play for this team, and at least 1 or 2 of them won't be.

Linebackers: Inside Linebackers I think we're ok, not thrilled about Hawk but I think we can survive it. I'd rather keep Barrington than Manning, he seems to be a bigger more physical linebacker and knows his role more than Manning. I would keep Manning as an outside linebacker, but that isn't his natural position I'm thinking so he goes. Outside Linebackers I think we're set here as well as long as they keep Mulumba and not Mike Neal.

Running Backs: We need to keep 5. I think we keep Lacy Franklin and I would keep Green not Starks. We'll keep Kuhn, and I love the idea of having a backup fullback just in case, not sure who that would be though.

Tight Ends: Finley stays obviously. I think Taylor stays, I don't know who stays beyond these two but I don't see Williams being here.

WR: Past Cobb I couldn't even tell you who stays. It seems that there are 2 spots left open maybe. I like Walker for one of them, but this could go every direction possible.

I know I kind of went off the page of the original post, but I wanted to give opinions both good and bad at each position.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good portion of our backups and a vast majority of our third stringers are extremely young. We'll be fine.. This preseason was basically all tryouts. A bunch of guys like Brandon Smith played a ton of ball for us this preseason, and stand almost no chance of making the roster.

Now, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about the depth at some positions (namely center and quarterback) but who doesn't have weaknesses?

The only main thing I'm taking from this preseason with a little bit of worry is the chemistry. With Rodgers, Cobb, Nelson out for a majority of practices and games I'll be extremely interested to see how they start out week 1 against the Niners.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I just made all of those same exact arguments for VY on the queasy thread. The only "talent" of Young's that I'm worried about is how adept he is at hitting the LB down the field. I'm not talking about VY playing, it's him holding the clipboard, watching the defense, and relaying info to AR that has me curious. Nuance of noticing something the defense is doing that can be exploited from the sideline. I'm not sure he's as suited to that role as Flynn and Harrell. That's all I was saying. AR can make his own reads, but it is an interesting wrinkle to keep an eye on.

Great minds think alike :cool: It will be interesting.

One advantage he has over the other two quarterbacks IMO is he has had plenty of starting experience so it would be my expectation he might be better at spotting mismatches and tendencies. Who knows, his biggest issues as a starter were his accuracy and his Maturity. It looks like he has Matured and maybe the combo of playing with Arod and Big Mac's QB training will bring him over the top.

Lets hope we never have to see him play in a game unless its a blowout, in that case I hope we see him often.:D

Members online

Latest posts