1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Anyone else feeling queesy about our depth chart?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by P-E-Z, Aug 29, 2013.

1. P-E-Z

P-E-Z Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +91
    The 2nd and 3rd string were really awful tonight. I know some will be gone on Sat. but I am wondering if we depth with injuries that happen to every team every year.

2. Dan115

Dan115 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +480
    preseason over with. Now we find out about this team

3. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Pray to whatever deity you wish that we don't see another injury all year on offense. Defense can take a hit or two outside of OLB or S.

4. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I think...:sick: blaaaaa! Sorry it just makes me sick...:sick: blaaaaa! Maybe later if I'm feeling...:sick: blaaaaa!

5. PackerChef

PackerChef Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I thought that Brandon Smith played his way off of the team, even though he had the INT. The backups did not look like they were playing for a roster spot, to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,814
    After tonight’s "display" I’m beginning to like the depth at QB. Don’t get me wrong, not the "depth" you're probably thinking of: Young was bad and the best thing you can say about Coleman’s preseason performances is they’ve been inconsistent. So here’s my half-serious suggestion for QB depth after Rodgers: Randal Cobb and then Micah Hyde. The broadcasters tonight were saying how Thompson and McCarthy have a different approach to their final roster – they keep the best 53 regardless of position. Of course that’s nonsense – perhaps they pay less attention to numbers at positions than other teams but of course they can’t purely keep the best 53. But here’s hoping they stick to that "pure" idea at QB. Jettison Young and Coleman and keep two better players at other positions. After all if Rodgers misses significant time we are sunk anyway. May as well keep better 52nd and 53rd players.

Seriously, the Packers are deep at a couple of positions - CBs and perhaps DL - but thin at others like OL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Bensalama21

Bensalama21 Ben

Ratings:
    +606
    Don't forget when Cobb threw a perfect ball to a receiver his first year and it went off the receivers hands... forgot when this happened though

8. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,288
    Here are the guys who had ticks in the stat sheet tonight:

Young
    Coleman
    Franklin
    Starks
    Green
    Lacy
    Amosa
    Ross
    White
    Walker
    Taylor
    Bostick
    Williams
    Johnson
    Stoneburner
    Mulligan
    T. Williams
    B. Smith
    Powell
    Barrington
    Lattimore
    Francois
    Manning
    Hyde
    Boyd
    Palmer
    Fulton
    Masthay
    Daniels
    Banjo
    Jolly
    Means
    Miller
    Neal
    Boykin
    Perry
    Mulamba

That's 37 names, and of those 37, I would expect close to half of them not to be on the final roster next week, and of those remaining, I count 2 likely starters, one on offense and one on defense.

I know you were talking about 2nd and 3rd stringers, but no I'm not overly concerned. This was still a tryout phase, and again made up largely of guys who will not even play for us this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The bears recovered the fumble off Ross's hands during the kickoff and went on to score a play or two later.

10. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    I hear Lattimore sometimes plays scout QB, and Masthay had a completed "pass" last year

11. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    5 sacks was a good stat line for the D, but the 2 - 15 on 3rd downs is dreadful.

12. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +381
    If we lose Rodgers the season is over anyways. Let "Mr. Rodgers play"

13. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,771
    PLEASE....PLEASE.....PLEASE Somebody reassure me we can play better than this !!! Get Graham on the phone and offer him his job back. Vince Young sucks ! In the second quarter there was a return by one of their guys in which I counted at least SIX of our players missed completely FFS !! :mad:

14. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Ummmm........NO.

15. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +1,771
    So it wasn`t just a nightmare ??? :eek:

16. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    back ups vs back ups = blah

Even if ( and i seriously hope not ) vince young does have to play in regular season, he wont be surrounded by other 2nd or even 3rd string guys. He will be playing with top notch guys. He did much better in pre-season with a better mix of starters on the field. Not to mention, how much time has he had in GB to actually work with the WR's, linemen, RB's etc....? Much less, learn the entire playbook? He will get better, and be a much much much better back up than harrell ever could have been.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Well I`m gonna be the first to say this, and it wont be popular either, but I`m seriously beginning to doubt our head coach and his staff now. Mike seems like a nice guy and all, but he seems to lack passion. JMHO

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452

What ever it is that you are smoking, please puff puff pass that sh!t so that we can all enjoy an altered state of mind.

19. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452

Dude, it is PRE-SEASON. We are not here to dump 40+ points on the competition......the staff wants to evaluate young players and make the important decisions about who and who not to cut. Pre-season is basically an experiment for the staff and proving grounds for the new guys. Don't worry so much.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +1,771
    :D I`ll give you a grin because I can`t give you the finger....lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. buggybill2003

Ratings:
    +1,771
    Don`t worry ??? THAT scared the crap out of me :eek:

22. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    Well, calm down.....have a smoke, a cup of warm tea and a crumpet.....go read the newspaper and relax.

23. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Dude. Chill. It's just a game. I know how passionate you Brits are about sports, but try to reign it in. There's a reason Beckham moved over here to play. We wanted to see how players performed in certain circumstances, and called the game accordingly, and dared players to play above the x's and o's, not to win. The goal of preseason is not to win. What's going to make this annoying is if we lose any games early the rips are going to be ugly because people are already disgruntled about losing a game we didn't care about winning. As for that terrible OL, most of them are as good as cut. Remember that Young has been out of football for a year, and only on the roster for a few weeks. It's going to take him a few weeks, and if all goes well, he'll never see the field. The poor showing on 3rd down? Bad depth at LB, and a complete liability in a CB who's never really played the position before in Smith. Those weren't our starters. THANK GOD.

ST was deplorable though, in that sense we're screwed. Go ahead and panic about that.

Side note: Passion is not screaming and spitting. I'll take MM over Singletary every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Dude. It's noon there.

25. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,452
    LOL.... I don't know any stinkin time zones.