Antonio Brown

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they're making sure that nobody has a chance of signing him, since they're going to have to pay the money out anyway, unless they can prove he violated his contract.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Pokerbrat2000

One, mental illness is not that much of a stigma as I get from your post. If someone says they are taking a break for mental welfare or suffering from mental illness, I think 'anxiety/depression', not 'stark raving mad'. They are more common nowadays and I see and hear variety of people get help addressing it. Neurodivergence disorders like Autism are also getting addressed better and schools are more knowledgeable and competent in those areas. Stigma still exists but assuming someone is "crazy" because of mental illness is kinda right out there. I don't think that's the norm anymore.

And as to Brown, I think it's hasty to assume he suffers from illness or needs help. Some people tend to act out more than others. Just who and what they are. Perhaps he does suffer from illness, but I'd not make that assumption based on what see see in media.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One, mental illness is not that much of a stigma as I get from your post. If someone says they are taking a break for mental welfare or suffering from mental illness, I think 'anxiety/depression', not 'stark raving mad'. They are more common nowadays and I see and hear variety of people get help addressing it. Neurodivergence disorders like Autism are also getting addressed better and schools are more knowledgeable and competent in those areas. Stigma still exists but assuming someone is "crazy" because of mental illness is kinda right out there. I don't think that's the norm anymore.
I never said it was the norm and I did acknowledge that it has gotten better, but we as a society still have a long way to go. You personally may not, but from experience, I can tell you that a lot of people are still very afraid of and/or unknowledgeable of what mental illness is. I don't even like calling it "mental illness", prefer the term “mental health condition".

Just the way the football world has reacted to Antonio Brown is proof of how far we still have to go. Had he torn his ACL and been laying on the ground, most of the players would have gathered around him on one knee and shown concern. He starts ripping off his jersey and shoulder pads, screaming and jumping around.....look at the video, nobody knows how to react and they get as far away from him as they can.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Pokerbrat2000

And as to Brown, I think it's hasty to assume he suffers from illness or needs help. Some people tend to act out more than others. Just who and what they are. Perhaps he does suffer from illness, but I'd not make that assumption based on what see see in media.

Good post.

Before we offer our "expert medical diagnosis" with regard to Mr. Brown's mental state, maybe we can take a collective breath and admit we don't really know what's going on with him. We have snippets of information filtered through the media and a few seconds of video, but we're not with this guy day in and day out to know what's going on in his life and where his head is at.

If he needs help, I hope he gets it. I do believe his time in the NFL as a player has come to an inglorious end. Tile will tell.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had he torn his ACL and been laying on the ground, most of the players would have gathered around him on one knee and shown concern. He starts ripping off his jersey and shoulder pads, screaming and jumping around.....look at the video, nobody knows how to react and they get as far away from him as they can.
I don't think that's due to stigma. The way you help physical injuries is by default different from mental disorders. For example if you crowd around a person suffering from anxiety breakdown trying to help, it'll just make things worse. There's no "right" way to react to mental disorders.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no "right" way to react to mental disorders.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on that and it is part of my point. People say that all the time "I don't know what to say or do around him, when he behaves differently". There are also many wrong ways to react to people with mental health conditions, fear and ridicule being 2 of the worst.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we do know is that he does some crazy stuff, and most teams don't want to deal with it. Jerry Jones was okay with signing Greg Hardy right after he choked out his girlfriend and threw him all around the room. He also extended Randy Gregory within two months of failing his X-teenth drug test. Although not quite the same, Jerry Jones is the modern Al Davis, willing to take any player to the land of misfit boys on the Raiders roster.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Is he?

The Buccaneers seem to be dragging their feet a bit in cutting him.
Why would they cut him now? The only possible landing spots would be a playoff contender as there is only one game left. Their cap isn't so tight that they can't pony up for 1 game check. They can put him on the "left the team" list to keep him off the 53 if needed.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would they cut him now? The only possible landing spots would be a playoff contender as there is only one game left. Their cap isn't so tight that they can't pony up for 1 game check. They can put him on the "left the team" list to keep him off the 53 if needed.
Per his statement, they forced him to play on injured ankle which would require surgery. Will he play next game? Cause that injury ain't going way so fast! What's the value of keeping him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Per his statement, they forced him to play on injured ankle which would require surgery. Will he play next game? Cause that injury ain't going way so fast! What's the value of keeping him?
An MRI on Monday revealed broken bone fragments, a ligament torn from the bone and cartilage loss, the wide receiver said in a lengthy statement released Wednesday night.

Brown also accused the Buccaneers of mischaracterizing his outburst on the field as a "mental health issue" rather than a refusal to play due to pain.

An NFL spokesperson on Thursday told ESPN that Brown will not be subject to discipline for his actions in Sunday's game.

Browns statement can be found here:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess they just cut him today - Thursday - for what happened on Sunday.

And if his ankle is as bad as Brown says it is, I don't know that any playoff team is going to sign him.

I don't know that any team is going to sign him anyway - Every team that has eventually comes to regret it.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An MRI on Monday revealed broken bone fragments, a ligament torn from the bone and cartilage loss, the wide receiver said in a lengthy statement released Wednesday night.

Brown also accused the Buccaneers of mischaracterizing his outburst on the field as a "mental health issue" rather than a refusal to play due to pain.

An NFL spokesperson on Thursday told ESPN that Brown will not be subject to discipline for his actions in Sunday's game.

Browns statement can be found here:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Why did he suit up if he can't or won't play?

That sounds like serious injury and definitely not to be played. I'm surprised at pack of communication for things to be this worse!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why did he suit up if he can't or won't play?

That sounds like serious injury and definitely not to be played. I'm surprised at pack of communication for things to be this worse!
Right but all of that "medical" stuff came from AB. So who knows. Today the Buccaneers released him and are trying to put him behind them, good luck with that Tampa Bay. :coffee:

Members online

Latest posts