Antonio Brown

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Right, but don't you see that he is one of those people that needs help with his mental health? A lot of good can become of this. Mental health is still kind of a taboo topic for some, calling people like AB "nuts", "head cases", etc. This stigma really needs to change before it can be fixed. People will say "well he has millions and all the resources possible to fix it, I don't care about this guy." Those people are 100% correct on his resources.....but that just shows you how powerful mental illness is, if you and the people around you don't either acknowledge it or try to step in and get you help, it takes a complete meltdown to possibly get help. Even at that point, some just give up and decide not living is easier.

I don`t see it as a mental health issue though mate. Here is a guy who has probably been told he`s the next best thing since sliced bread all his life, and has come to believe it. He isn`t doing anybody but himself a favour by being a pro footballer, he`s privaledged to be in that position. It`s only my opinion of course but I am tired of these sportsmen who THINK they are doing us a favour by playing football or ANY sport. There are genuine people out there who deserve my sympathy and indeed help, and I would be happy to help, clowns like him do not. Again, JMHO

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don`t see it as a mental health issue though mate. Here is a guy who has probably been told he`s the next best thing since sliced bread all his life, and has come to believe it. He isn`t doing anybody but himself a favour by being a pro footballer, he`s privaledged to be in that position. It`s only my opinion of course but I am tired of these sportsmen who THINK they are doing us a favour by playing football or ANY sport. There are genuine people out there who deserve my sympathy and indeed help, and I would be happy to help, clowns like him do not. Again, JMHO
You and I agree on a lot of things, but I have to disagree with you, it is a Mental health issue. I think you and possibly others might be thinking, and probably rightfully so, "he doesn't deserve any sympathy, because of the financial position he has been in". While I agree with you on that (if you are thinking it), but mental health issues can impact anyone from the homeless to the extremely wealthy. Much like Covid, it doesn't discriminate based on socioeconomic status. I hope AB gets help before it costs him and or others their lives.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but don't you see that he is one of those people that needs help with his mental health? A lot of good can become of this. Mental health is still kind of a taboo topic for some, calling people like AB "nuts", "head cases", etc. This stigma really needs to change before it can be fixed. People will say "well he has millions and all the resources possible to fix it, I don't care about this guy." Those people are 100% correct on his resources.....but that just shows you how powerful mental illness is, if you and the people around you don't either acknowledge it or try to step in and get you help, it takes a complete meltdown to possibly get help. Even at that point, some just give up and decide not living is easier.
Great point.

Funny how NFL is running a really annoying ad campaign regarding talking to people who appear to have mental issues. You know, it starts with a montage of a dozen people stammering trying to broach the subject of mental well-being.

And when push comes to shove they just dumped a guy who's emotional stability is as solid as jello in a paint mixer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And when push comes to shove they just dumped a guy who's emotional stability is as solid as jello in a paint mixer.
Yup and pretty much everywhere on the internet today, people are talking about just unhinged this guy is and making a joke out of it. I mean I understand that on the surface it was "funny" to watch what he did, but the man needs help and if that wasn't a cry for help, I have no clue what is.

Full disclosure too, my view of mental health has changed quite a bit due to some various life reasons, so I have probably called AB or someone showing similar signs "nuts".

I

You and I agree on a lot of things, but I have to disagree with you, it is a Mental health issue. I think you and possibly others might be thinking, and probably rightfully so, "he doesn't deserve any sympathy, because of the financial position he has been in". While I agree with you on that (if you are thinking it), but mental health issues can impact anyone from the homeless to the extremely wealthy. Much like Covid, it doesn't discriminate based on socioeconomic status. I hope AB gets help before it costs him and or others their lives.
And I will respect your opinion as always mate. As I said, it was just MY honest opinion :tup:

Reaction score
Yeah it’s nothing to joke about really, us sane people (notice how I included myself :whistling:) don’t always recognize the gravity, we just see a kid that looks mad.

It’s just at first I couldn’t believe my eyes when he was trying to rip his uniform off. Even the police were kinda taken aback, they had the most peculiar looks on their faces

I

Yeah it’s nothing to joke about really, us sane people (notice how I included myself :whistling:) don’t always recognize the gravity, we just see a kid that looks mad.

It’s just at first I couldn’t believe my eyes when he was trying to rip his uniform off. Even the police were kinda taken aback, they had the most peculiar looks on their faces

I`m no fan of Arians with his "Jock Coach" mentality either.

Reaction score
I’m reminded of a friend I had that was bipolar. He was normal until he got off his meds and he would stay awake for a week and then sleep a week. He started dressing like Batman and he was a big fellow. He showed up at my door in full Batman attire after disappearing for a year. Scared the B Jesus out of me at first, for a flash of a second I thought I was face to face with a serial Killer. Then he smiled and slapped me on the arm like no big deal.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I`m no fan of Arians with his "Jock Coach" mentality either.
I think his role in it will be talked about. Especially, if he became "that guy" who wanted to strut his authority and told AB he was "cut, get off my field and leave your jersey." That kind of stuff worked with Woody Hayes and a few others, but it is not longer really acceptable by most. I can see Arians losing some of his players respect over something like this if it gets painted in a certain way.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Since this thread is on the subject of not so smart moves by NFL players this week....then there was this incident, early this morning. You would think with his Teammate Henry Ruggs in Jail, facing life, things like this wouldn't happen to his teammates.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jack Grealish of the NFL! Everyone now hates him.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
His ankle hurt? He was pretty mobile dancing in the endzone. Now his agent is angling him to get some "shut up and go away" money.

I know it's the RIGHT thing to not rush to judgement... and mental illness is nothing to joke about ... and all those "good character" traits. --- but, my compassion line in the sand with this guy and a few others is somewhere wayyyy the hellll back there...

I

I’m reminded of a friend I had that was bipolar. He was normal until he got off his meds and he would stay awake for a week and then sleep a week. He started dressing like Batman and he was a big fellow. He showed up at my door in full Batman attire after disappearing for a year. Scared the B Jesus out of me at first, for a flash of a second I thought I was face to face with a serial Killer. Then he smiled and slapped me on the arm like no big deal.

I have a nephew who is bipolar, I too have my mood swings I`m not going to lie but both he and I follow the advice of our doctors, and I like to think I`m a compassionate man but not towards this trend of sportsmen who think they can do anything they want because of thier money or fame status.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you combine money and privilege with mental disease, you have a combination that ends up doing things like Brown did. I don't think any of you are wrong on this issue, because society has allowed these things to evolve for those who are privileged. In a way, it's our own fault, because we allow this charade to continue.

Brown's problems should have been addressed a long time ago, but nobody wanted to upset the apple cart, as long as he was performing on the football field at a high level. Rest assured, had he been a guy trying to find a way to make a team, he would have been avoided like the plague.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on Voyageur.

Brown needs help of some kind, and the NFL should offer, but like anything else he can't be forced into it. I am opposed bringing Brown onto the Packers now, but if he got some help, I would be fine with it. We have given problem players second chances and it has worked. Koren Robinson and Johnny Jolly are two instances that come to mind. They weren't mental health issues but, given the right surroundings and support, players like Brown can still be a part of the NFL. He has to take advantage of the help available though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Probably the worst thing for Brown would be to immediately start playing Football again. Interestingly enough, the Bucs have not officially released him yet. I doubt they have any plans to let him play again, but it might be better for them if they don't let another playoff team potentially sign him. There is also the possibility that maybe they are looking out for his mental health in a round about way by holding on to him to prevent that.

Appears AB stayed in New York after the game, he showed up courtside at a Nets game.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the worst thing for Brown would be to immediately start playing Football again. Interestingly enough, the Bucs have not officially released him yet. I doubt they have any plans to let him play again, but it might be better for them if they don't let another playoff team potentially sign him. There is also the possibility that maybe they are looking out for his mental health in a round about way by holding on to him to prevent that.

Isn't there a "left the team for personal reasons" list they can put him on? That would keep him off the 53 but not available for other teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Isn't there a "left the team for personal reasons" list they can put him on? That would keep him off the 53 but not available for other teams.
Probably and they might also be waiting to see if the NFL punishes him, which might effect the way he does or doesn't get paid. Sadly, money will have a lot to do with the decision too.

I

Spot on Voyageur.

Brown needs help of some kind, and the NFL should offer, but like anything else he can't be forced into it. I am opposed bringing Brown onto the Packers now, but if he got some help, I would be fine with it. We have given problem players second chances and it has worked. Koren Robinson and Johnny Jolly are two instances that come to mind. They weren't mental health issues but, given the right surroundings and support, players like Brown can still be a part of the NFL. He has to take advantage of the help available though.
And you`ve got it spot on too, he can`t be helped if he doesn`t accept it or think he doesn`t need it. From comments I heard from team mate and pundits yesterday, he believed he deserved to be treated like other stars on the team before HE became one of those stars. Can you imagine if one of our players decided if Rodgers was given privaledges as a long established star, and yes, I was a little sick in my mouth there, and one of the receivers decided he was going to act the same regardless of his status ? He`d be run out of Green Bay double quick. Brown has been given numerous chances by numerous teams and it always ends the same.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Buccaneers do end up cutting AB and he clears waivers, if you believe this reporter, there is a team that wants him. If I had to guess....it would be the Cowboys due to Gallup tearing his ACL on Sunday.

I

If the Buccaneers do end up cutting AB and he clears waivers, if you believe this reporter, there is a team that wants him. If I had to guess....it would be the Cowboys due to Gallup tearing his ACL on Sunday.

AND Jerrys stupidity. ;)

I

He needs help and he needs to ask for it before he gets arrested
But Joe, WE know he needs some kind of help, but,(and it is only how I see it) HE doesn`t see he needs help. If this was a one off clash with teams I`d agree but he`s a legend in his own mind. FOUR different teams for pity sake !. He`s never going to ask for help other than an expensive lawyer which he can obviously afford. I respect peoples opinions here but I`m not buying into it sorry. I think people around him, family, friends, hangers on, have created this attitude by never daring to challenge his behaviour over the years.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should not fall into the trap of classifying anything out of "current social norm" as a illness. And use of "crazy" and "nutcase" aren't implicit comments indicating mental illness. Just that they state behavior is out of normal.

Eccentricity and being immature are more behavioral traits rather than mental illness imo (Not that I'm any kind of expert).

I just don't think he takes NFL and his game career seriously anymore. He's reached his peak and made his money after all. So tends to behave impulsively and he probably has a set of hanger on's who convince him he's always in the right.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We should not fall into the trap of classifying anything out of "current social norm" as a illness. And use of "crazy" and "nutcase" aren't implicit comments indicating mental illness. Just that they state behavior is out of normal.

Eccentricity and being immature are more behavioral traits rather than mental illness imo (Not that I'm any kind of expert).

I just don't think he takes NFL and his game career seriously anymore. He's reached his peak and made his money after all. So tends to behave impulsively and he probably has a set of hanger on's who convince him he's always in the right.
This was the popular attitude 70 years ago. "Nut jobs, psychos, crazy, etc." were either shunned or locked up in mental institutions to keep them from harming anyone, including themselves. The general society and medical field thought it better just to placate them with pills and electrical shock.

Fortunately, mental illness has come a long way in the medical field and most of the early drugs and therapies have been banned or modified. As a society we still have a long way to go though, the negative stigma that so many attach to "problems with the brain" is still alarming. You could walk into a room, leg in a cast and strangers would come up and ask you "what happened, were you in an accident?" But someone with a brain injury (mental illness) walks into that same room and shows some kind of perceived strange behavior and people recoil and cower in fear, ignoring the "crazy person".

Would I want Antonio Brown on the Packers right now? No, but I do think there is more to his story than just some rich, eccentric football player. I hope he gets and accepts the help he needs before he tries to take on the stress of playing in the NFL again.

Members online

Latest posts