Another FA wish...

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

Don't know... It wouldn't come without compensation so I guess it would depend on how much that would be. 2 D1s as franchise player - no thanks. If it could be negotiated a lot lower would have to really think about it. It would be a big contract, he's had major injury and he was on roids. But at his best he is outstanding and would be the perfect bookend to CMIII. The question would be how much we could expect from him? He played pretty well last year considering coming off of an injury but his numbers were down from previous years.

Tough call that would be boom or bust. I'd feel much better about paying big for a stud LT...

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Check his position...we have Matthews and Jones/Kampman/etc.

Ain't going to happen. He juices and he's got BIG character issues.

Nope...and I went to University of Maryland. He is the only TERP that I would never root for.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wow it's really weird you bring this up, because I heard this rumor/story earlier on the radio, apparently Barnett and Grant wear tweeting back and forth about it, and I was looking for it on Twitter when apparently you found it first haha...

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Check his position...we have Matthews and Jones/Kampman/etc.

Ain't going to happen. He juices and he's got BIG character issues.

Nope...and I went to University of Maryland. He is the only TERP that I would never root for.

He juice(d)... I don't think he does any more and some critics out there actually point to that as one of the reasons his productivity declined - pre-injury.

Kampman likely won't be back. He's an average LB who will want and probably get mucg bigger $$ to play 43 DE. Brad Jones could develop but this last year he was nothing more than serviceable. To really roll in the 34 you need 2 fierce pass rushing OLB. Last year we had 1.

I am not saying Merriman is the answer but I am pretty certain we need to look outside the current roster for the guy who is.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** no, I don't want Merriman. The guy's been terrible since he got popped for roids and has an off-field attitude problem. We don't need that kind of guy on our team.

As for Kampman, I'm down for giving him another shot. We're not gonna be able to get nearly as much trade value for him due to his injury, but he also stated that he was finally figuring out how to play the 3-4 defense when he got injured. I think with the experience of the 3-4 under his belt he'll be that much better suited for it next season.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
As for Kampman, I'm down for giving him another shot. We're not gonna be able to get nearly as much trade value for him due to his injury, but he also stated that he was finally figuring out how to play the 3-4 defense when he got injured. I think with the experience of the 3-4 under his belt he'll be that much better suited for it next season.
The big question is how much do you think it costs. If teams shy away from him because of injury, then maybe. But pass rushers are typically valued highly. The price tag on DEs is higher than LBs. To keep him you'd have to pay him like a top shelf DE, which would be a lot more than you'd generally play a LB.

I don't think Ted will do that. I think he'll look elsewhere unless the price is right (and I don't think it will be).

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Sure. Take a chance. It could backfire, or he could come in and be a 17 sack guy for us.

I've grown sick of playing it safe.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you guys are nuts...

You think he's got character issues because he strangled TILA TEQUILA????

WHO IN HERE WOULDN'T STRANGLE TILA TEQUILA, after spending more than one minute with her????

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Jess. **** it, let's give it a shot. Kampman was saying he was finally figuring out the defense, and I believe him. I recall he was starting to look like he "got it" in that Dallas game. It's a bummer he got injured, because I would have loved to have seen what a beast he could be had he really been comfortable in that defense. Can you imagine having to try and block him and Matthews?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
you guys are nuts...

You think he's got character issues because he strangled TILA TEQUILA????

WHO IN HERE WOULDN'T STRANGLE TILA TEQUILA, after spending more than one minute with her????

They must be talking about something else. I gave him a gold star for that one...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I think we should use FA to address more pressing issues. Our secondary is looking aged right now. Why don't we look to temporarily filling those holes with FA and tackle the O-line in the draft? We have promising players at Merriman's position.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those "character issues" go all the way back to college. Maybe even further. I don't know.

What I DO know is that in a Q & A with beat writer Greg Gedard, Thompson is all for bringing Kampman back.

Here:

Q. Do you want linebacker Aaron Kampman back?
A. Sure.
Q. Will you make an effort to bring him back?
A. Sure.
Q. You think he's a good 3-4 outside linebacker?
A. Yeah, he's a good player. You can never have too many good players.
Q. Will you definitely make him an offer?
A. I'm sure we will. But we don't talk business.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about "character issues" if the player makes us better.

Maybe that's just me.

yeah son, that's just you. You think Ted Thompson - Mr. "Packer People" is going to touch Shawne Merriman?

I sure don't.

EDIT TO ADD: btw, anyone who follows Grant & Barnett on twitter knows for darn sure those two like to stir up the fanbase just to get a reaction. That's what's so fun.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Those "character issues" go all the way back to college. Maybe even further. I don't know.

What I DO know is that in a Q & A with beat writer Greg Gedard, Thompson is all for bringing Kampman back.

Here:

Q. Do you want linebacker Aaron Kampman back?
A. Sure.
Q. Will you make an effort to bring him back?
A. Sure.
Q. You think he's a good 3-4 outside linebacker?
A. Yeah, he's a good player. You can never have too many good players.
Q. Will you definitely make him an offer?
A. I'm sure we will. But we don't talk business.
LOL - Good old Ted. I'd never want to play poker with this guy. Sure. Sure. Yeah... I'm sure we will...

I think they'll make him an offer but I don't think it will get it done. I certainly could be wrong but if I had to bet it would be on Kampy being somewhere else playing DE. A team like Tampa maybe.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I don't think he will, that doesn't mean I don't want him to.

He's taken chances in the past. Everyone thought Charles Woodson was done and that we gave him way too much money when we signed him. That worked out.

I'm not holding out hope though that he signs anybody that I've drafted higher than round 45 in a Madden fantasy draft.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he will, that doesn't mean I don't want him to.

He's taken chances in the past. Everyone thought Charles Woodson was done and that we gave him way too much money when we signed him. That worked out.

I'm not holding out hope though that he signs anybody that I've drafted higher than round 45 in a Madden fantasy draft.

I am no Thompson apologist, by any stretch of the imagination. But that statement is just plain ludicrous. Tell me Ted Thompson didn't have one of the best drafts last year.

As for Woodson? Laughable that you would even compare him to Merriman. Woodson may have been a vocal disgruntled player in Oakland, but character-wise? Not even close to Merriman. In fact, it's rather insulting to him that you would think that.

Look, I don't know you and I am not here to insult you. But Ted Thompson wasn't voted Exec of the Year two years ago AND came in a close second in the polling this, for no good reason. Please, give the man some credit. His peers certainly do. He is highly regarded around the league.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I am no Thompson apologist, by any stretch of the imagination. But that statement is just plain ludicrous. Tell me Ted Thompson didn't have one of the best drafts last year.

As for Woodson? Laughable that you would even compare him to Merriman. Woodson may have been a vocal disgruntled player in Oakland, but character-wise? Not even close to Merriman. In fact, it's rather insulting to him that you would think that.

Look, I don't know you and I am not here to insult you. But Ted Thompson wasn't voted Exec of the Year two years ago AND came in a close second in the polling this, for no good reason. Please, give the man some credit. His peers certainly do. He is highly regarded around the league.
Wow.

I was just giving Woodson as an example of Thompson taking chances. I wasn't comparing him to Merriman.

And I wasn't talking about draft picks with that last sentence. I was talking free agents.

Calm down, dude. Are you Ted Thompson, or something?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score

I think he was talking more about Chuck's injury concerns at Oakland. They still gave him a big chuck of change and he'd missed quite a few games his last couple years at Oakland. There was a stigma about him being a bit of a bad attitude but I don't think Ted bought that for a second or he wouldn't have thrown the coin at him that he did. I think he'd take an injury risk before a character risk any day of the week. JMO

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I think he was talking more about Chuck's injury concerns at Oakland. They still gave him a big chuck of change and he'd missed quite a few games his last couple years at Oakland. There was a stigma about him being a bit of a bad attitude but I don't think Ted bought that for a second or he wouldn't have thrown the coin at him that he did. I think he'd take an injury risk before a character risk any day of the week. JMO
Thank God! Someone understands me! :Dancing:

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow.

I was just giving Woodson as an example of Thompson taking chances. I wasn't comparing him to Merriman.

And I wasn't talking about draft picks with that last sentence. I was talking free agents.

Calm down, dude. Are you Ted Thompson, or something?

no..I am his sister:hunter: just kidding.

Seriously, tho...Thompson doesn't even sniff free agency if he can help it. In fact, that's one of the things I don't like about him. That being said, I would be very surprised if he considered Merriman AT ALL.

I have outlined my reasons for it. And character has a lot to do with it. Thompson is a "Packer People" person first. Merriman is not that.

Add to it the fact that we are pretty stacked at the position, in his mind, and we have more glaring needs elsewhere.

EDIT TO ADD: Look at who the LB coach is and tell me that KG would even want a guy like Merriman. Greene is the person who lobbied for Matthews. Loved the character, dedication and pedigree, in addition to the massive talent. You can't tell me that IF Thompson brought Merriman to the table in front of Greene that Greene would bite. There' another reason. Greene wouldn't want to coach AND babysit him.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
no..I am his sister:hunter: just kidding.

Seriously, tho...Thompson doesn't even sniff free agency if he can help it. In fact, that's one of the things I don't like about him. That being said, I would be very surprised if he considered Merriman AT ALL.
I think this is over-blown a little bit. He's signed 3 OLman in FA and they all bombed. He signed Anthony Smith who he f'd up and cut. He signed Manuel who sucked and was cut. He signed Wood, Pickett and Chillar who are all good to great players for us. He is no Dan Snyder that is for sure, and I have gone on record on other forums saying I wish he'd use it a bit more for mid-level players. A guy like Jim Leonard is a perfect example. I can't believe he didn't make a run for that Wisconsin boy last offseason... But Ted uses FA, it simply isn't his preferred mechanism for building a roster.

Other than that though, I agree with you. I don't see us going after Merriman. Too much cost and too much risk. If they are going to try to upgrade OLB I am guessing that is done through the draft.

It will be interesting to see how the chips fall with respect to our major needs - OT, OLB, DB... I don't see how we plug all of these holes but you never know.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enuf, Clay's JS. Perhaps I did overstate that. Yes, he has used FA. I'm still pissed he didn't make a serious run for Gonzales. Imagine that tandem... with Finley? (gotta wipe the drool off my keyboard now...lol )

I was trying to make a point to poster Jess.

I would be willing to bet a dime that Merriman is not even in the thought process. I feel that strongly about it.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts