Andre Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like The Pack is one place he would like to play. I would love to see him in a Packer uniform. And just stick with Rodgers at TE who I think caught the ball real well last year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not about a short rental at the expense of developing some of our young and cheap WRs.

If he calls and says he will take a min contact then lets consider it. But he can make more $ and catch more balls in NE or Seattle or Denver

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.

First of all he is going to be much more limited in his role than almost anywhere else, catching balls behind Nelson and Cobb for sure where he will get many more opportunities elsewhere on teams that need a WR. Just because he said he wants to play for a great QB does not mean that Green Bay is a fit.

As Ivo mentioned I also have no interest in stunting the development of an ascending WR that we spent a 2nd round pick on to accommodate an aging vet at a position that we're already loaded with 2 other young players with upside.

In addition with Cobb's new contract we're now investing over $20M a year on average just on the WR position and now you want to add another contract to it. People seem to assume that he'll come here cheap, I have no idea why anyone would just come out and assume that. He wouldn't take a pay cut from his $10.5M 2015 guarantee in Houston. Sure, I'm sure some of that is wanting to play for a better QB, but he's not heading into his probably last free agency looking for peanuts.

I'm all about exploring FA ideas in March when there's a fit but I'm sorry this makes sense on no level.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Nelson, Cobb and Adams being the top three there's absolutely no need to bring in an aging veteran like Johnson.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah bringing in johnson pushes adams to number 4 and I think that sets him back in his development. I'd like to see TT draft another WR in this deep draft as high as in the 2nd round. Then have a solid 6 in nelson, cobb, adams, janis, abb, and draft pick. Sammie Coates, phillip Dorset, Devin smith.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only a dummy would think this is a good idea....with Cobb back, Adams going into 2nd year, Janis set to get better and Abb healthy we are fine at WR....and that's without the steal of a late rounder I bet TT does like normal.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, no, no. Maybe if not for Cobb being back, but that would still be almost still a NO. 34, aging, injured, and expensive. Not a need, not a want at this stage

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If I was a betting man.....Andre ends up in Seattle. He has played in a loosing organization for 12 years. Guessing he is hungry to play on a winner and the SeaSchmucks need help at WR

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah bringing in johnson pushes adams to number 4 and I think that sets him back in his development. I'd like to see TT draft another WR in this deep draft as high as in the 2nd round. Then have a solid 6 in nelson, cobb, adams, janis, abb, and draft pick. Sammie Coates, phillip Dorset, Devin smith.

The Packers have way more pressing needs for it to make sense drafting a WR in the second round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, we have a good core of receivers locked up for the next few years. When DB is very thin, I would say we have 1 capable starter at ILB and his name is Matthews. Barrington is fine, but he hasn't shown me he is anything more than a compliment there yet. He's young though, hopefully he keeps going up. Assuming he does, we still need at least 3 more capable ILB's just for depth. DL is a very important place we could upgrade. in that bunch, Daniels is the only guy I don't think needs upgrading. The rest can stay or leave. Sure we could do worse, we could also do much, much better. With this defense we always need OLB's. We're getting older there with our starters, have 2 capable backups, and nothing behind that coming up. and if Bulaga leaves, OL becomes an area that is pretty thin too.

Too many positions that need bolstering in the immediate future to worry about a position like WR when we have some pretty good players locked up for the next 3-4 years.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not gonna lie unless freaking Amari Cooper drops to us in the 2nd we have much bigger needs to address than WR in the 2nd.....or 3rd really for that matter. Especially if we lose both House and Tramon.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I was not joking. Johnson had 85 catches last year and over 100 the previous two years. And you guys want to compare this hall of famer with our young receivers.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
No, I was not joking. Johnson had 85 catches last year and over 100 the previous two years. And you guys want to compare this hall of famer with our young receivers.
In many respects NFL football is a zero sum game:

I think Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL but he can only throw one ball at a time. Nelson and Cobb just finished last season as the most productive receiving tandem in Packers franchise history in all categories, combining for 189 receptions, 2,806 yards and 25 TDs. I don’t think anyone posted Adams or Janis or Abby are better than Andre Johnson. But how much can Johnson improve the number one scoring offense from last season? And since that's the case, why hamper the progress of those three WRs?

Money spent on one UFA can’t be spent on another. Why would Thompson spend money to marginally increase the production of the passing game when the obvious needs on the team are on the other side of the ball? Particularly after signing Jordy to a $40M+ contract last year and Cobb to a $40M contract this season.

The cap is another zero sum situation: Cap space spent on Johnson can’t be used on other needs or rolled into next season to meet future needs. I think the reason you got the reaction you did is if WR isn’t the last position of need on this team after the signing of Cobb, it’s close to it. Honestly don’t you think a UFA DL and ILB (and perhaps CB) makes much more sense than Johnson?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In many respects NFL football is a zero sum game:

I think Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL but he can only throw one ball at a time. Nelson and Cobb just finished last season as the most productive receiving tandem in Packers franchise history in all categories, combining for 189 receptions, 2,806 yards and 25 TDs. I don’t think anyone posted Adams or Janis or Abby are better than Andre Johnson. But how much can Johnson improve the number one scoring offense from last season? And since that's the case, why hamper the progress of those three WRs?

Money spent on one UFA can’t be spent on another. Why would Thompson spend money to marginally increase the production of the passing game when the obvious needs on the team are on the other side of the ball? Particularly after signing Jordy to a $40M+ contract last year and Cobb to a $40M contract this season.

The cap is another zero sum situation: Cap space spent on Johnson can’t be used on other needs or rolled into next season to meet future needs. I think the reason you got the reaction you did is if WR isn’t the last position of need on this team after the signing of Cobb, it’s close to it. Honestly don’t you think a UFA DL and ILB (and perhaps CB) makes much more sense than Johnson?

This is worthy of quoting ASAP!

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very good points. Signing Andre Johnson would be the equivolent of making a play for a starting qb, or demarco Murray. No need, not going to improve the roster vs the spending, and locks up money we could use on positions of need

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, it's just not at all in any way a good fit for either party.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably nothing to be worried about, but it's still a little early to celebrate the Bulaga deal. Supposedly nothing official yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

yeah, we have a good core of receivers locked up for the next few years. When DB is very thin, I would say we have 1 capable starter at ILB and his name is Matthews. Barrington is fine, but he hasn't shown me he is anything more than a compliment there yet. He's young though, hopefully he keeps going up. Assuming he does, we still need at least 3 more capable ILB's just for depth. DL is a very important place we could upgrade. in that bunch, Daniels is the only guy I don't think needs upgrading. The rest can stay or leave. Sure we could do worse, we could also do much, much better. With this defense we always need OLB's. We're getting older there with our starters, have 2 capable backups, and nothing behind that coming up. and if Bulaga leaves, OL becomes an area that is pretty thin too.

Too many positions that need bolstering in the immediate future to worry about a position like WR when we have some pretty good players locked up for the next 3-4 years.

I'm fine with the depth at DE. There's no denying NT and ILB need a huge upgrade. Jayrone Elliott and Adrian Hubbard are intriguing prospects at OLB. While none of them is a sure thing to have an impact in the NFL the need for addressing that position usn't as pressing.

Not gonna lie unless freaking Amari Cooper drops to us in the 2nd we have much bigger needs to address than WR in the 2nd.....or 3rd really for that matter. Especially if we lose both House and Tramon.

There's no way Cooper will drop that far.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll draft a WR at some point. We always do it seems like. Probably a 7th rounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.