1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Am I The Only One Who Is Mad...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NelsonsLongCatch, Sep 25, 2011.

1. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +844
    That the Packers actually kept that last punt in bounds? You have a ten point lead with less than a minute and a half to go. The oppenent has no time outs. Why wouldn't you either kick the ball out of bounds or just blast it out of the end zone? Why would keep the ball any where near the field?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    He almost pulled a Matt Dodge. I was pissed as well for not kicking it out of bounds.

3. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,625
    Should have snapped it to the personal protector. I think Kuhn could have gotten the four yards and it would have caught Chi flatfooted just like their return of the same punt caught GB. Did they have dual returners or what? I didn't notice Hester and Knox on the return unit earlier in the game.

4. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +844
    It was insanity. The only way the Bears ever beat the Packers is with special teams. You can't keep that ball in bounds for ANY reason.

5. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +844
    They had duel returners and some how convinced 10 of 11 Packers to run the wrong way. Everything went wrong on that play.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,625
    Do they always have dual returners or did not somebody think something was amiss?

7. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +473
    Well, except the holding call!;)

8. Future12

Future12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm mad at the sideline for not screaming where the ball is. How did 10 guys get confused?

9. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    That's a good point. They should have. If that play had gone to the dark side for us, it could of cost Mastay his jersey. Or did MM tell him to do that. I can't imagine he'd take the chance. He'd have to be super confident in the ST and I just don't see that. That was one hell of a gamble. We are lucky for that holding call.

10. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    I wasnt because it looked like they had really good coverage.

11. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    The Packers won.
    Why complain?

12. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Always things that can make u better.

13. greenandgold

greenandgold I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan

Ratings:
    +473
    Well, except the holding call!
    Well I bet Mastay was screaming it to the other ten guys all the way down to the goal line.

14. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Because our special teams IQ is slow as in Slocum. You can expect a turd or two from them every game.

15. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    I'm only guessing but I would imagine all STs players are coached to watch for the players receiving the ball. All the players were focused on where they thought it was going.
    Truth be told, it was a brilliant ST play by the Bears. They knew the keys for our players and fooled them. Nobody in the stands or the punter had a chance to yell or alert the players the play was to the other side, they were all faced downfield. The punt was over their heads and the keys for defending the return probably has to do with the reaction of the receiving team. I'm a little confused Masthay didn't tell anybody he was going left though.
    Great, great ST play by the Bears, thank goodness there was the hold on the gunner.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    My head is starting to spin. Does the receiving team have to declare which player will be receiving the ball and does that player have to receive it? I don't think so. The issue here seems to be the holding call, not which player elected to receive the ball and which player didn't. That was a trick play. The Bears tried to confuse our ST but switching up which player they thought was receiving the ball. The fail came because somebody was holding. I'm just making sure I don't have my rules confused. I'm sure the receiving team has somebody appointed, they can't just say kick it and have a free for all like a jump ball. That would be madness. Now things happen on punts where the intended receiver doesn't wind up with the ball but that doesn't happen that often. This play with the Bears was intentional. With the Bears it's almost automatically assumed it's going to Hester. It has me wondering if there isn't some kind of rule with this and the number of eligible receivers they have to return the punt.

17. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    Every member of the receiving team (Bears) is eligible. The holding call came against the Bears early in the play when the Packers "gunner" (who is the guy racing down the sidelines looking for a direct shot at the receiver) was held. It was tricky because the kicking team has to take it's cues from the reactions of the receiving team. While the ball is in the air it makes sense to cue on the opposing team's players.
    True that the receiving team has a designated returner, but every ST player knows that the kicking team might try something tricky like kicking to the receiving team's bigger guys. (Like what happened against New England last year)
    There is no rule you're considering. It's legal for any of the receiving team to advance the ball. It was an exceptional ruse by the Bears to take what they know about the game and cue points to misdirect the Packers. It was gutsy, chancy and bold and it almost worked except for the holding call.
    It was for all intents and purposes a brilliant play. We were very lucky to have survived that call. That play was made up some time ago, probably with the playoffs in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kitten

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Wish I could give you 10 likes, you explained that perfectly! I thought I had a good idea of it but that play was a bit confusing. I'm sure it confused the Packers ST as well as the Bears confusing themselves! I'm just so glad it worked out in our favor. If it wasn't for that hold, oh Lord have mercy on our souls!

19. DevilDon

Ratings:
    +445
    To be honest, the only people in the world who weren't confused were the Bears ST unit. That Kitten....
    was professional football at it's best. An absolutely brilliant play call and execution by the Bears. I'll remember that play forever. I hate the heck out of the Bears but oh my goodness, that's why I respect them from time to time.