ALL recent another head coach options merged-- preMM firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want a coach that will use a FB on 3rd and 1. Dabo might be interesting.

D

Deleted member 6794

One note on changing the offense: Rodgers has supposedly always been a quick study, it's one of his strengths. Age can make it harder to learn new things though. Would Rodgers still be quick at learning a new system?

I'm fully convinced Rodgers would be able to learn a new system pretty quick.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know if Van Pelt has the "chops" to be a solid OC, but I think its pretty apparent that 2 things have to change before the Packers get better.
  1. Aaron Rodgers needs to fix his sh*t
  2. Coaching has to be brought in that helps Aaron Rodgers fix his sh*t
If what is being said about the whole MM and AR dynamics is true, this is kind of starting to feel a bit like the Brett Favre situation all over again. Favre was shipped out and eventually his new environment in Minnesota was beneficial to him and the Vikings. That option isn't currently available with Rodgers so IMO Rodgers needs a new environment of coaches around him, as well as he needs to look at himself in a mirror and realize change on his part is needed as well.
My biggest fear where the Packers are concerned is that he can’t do that. I really don’t want to talk about his personal life because we know very few facts, BUT I do think it applies to the extent that he seems to have a problem letting things go. If he has truly cut off his family that is a pretty big step... and maybe it is necessary, but it does make me wonder if he is able to face the fact that he might be part of the problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My biggest fear where the Packers are concerned is that he can’t do that. I really don’t want to talk about his personal life because we know very few facts, BUT I do think it applies to the extent that he seems to have a problem letting things go. If he has truly cut off his family that is a pretty big step... and maybe it is necessary, but it does make me wonder if he is able to face the fact that he might be part of the problem.

Agreed. I don't think its the job of, nor does the Packer organization have the ability to "fix" anything of AR's off the field, that is strictly up to AR. I also feel like that has less of an impact on what has been going on when he plays football. What AR will need to figure out is a way to work better with the coaches. This is probably a case of someone who may not want to admit he is part of the problem, but if presented with a situation that allows him to change (new coaches) he is given a golden opportunity to make the changes, without admitting his faults.

Slippery slope if what we have been reading about AR is true. Really no way of trading him, so you have to figure out how to work around the problems. Nobody changes completely over night, but if the environment around a person affords them that gradual change, it can happen.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of names thrown out here, but this one has not been mentioned so far. Anyone got any love for Darrell Bevell? I think he needs a job still.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of names thrown out here, but this one has not been mentioned so far. Anyone got any love for Darrell Bevell? I think he needs a job still.

Interesting sort of alternative option, but no chance. IMO Bevell is not HC material.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
Interesting sort of alternative option, but no chance. IMO Bevell is not HC material.
Pretty much agree with you, seems the rest of the league did too when the Seahawks fired him. Just thought I would throw it out there, as I said a whole lot of names thrown out there.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying to find some subject of positivity here and hoping that this front office gets the right replacement here after MM is gone. I figure, hey why not. We definitely gotta get someone in here who can get excitement and make things easier for Rodgers again. Here's a few I've thought of ...

1. Ken Whisenhunt: I don't consider him an elite coach by any means, but I'd definitely be talking to him if I were the front office for several reasons.

A. He's had a solid track record working with good veteran QBs. He resurrected Kurt Warner once and Philip Rivers twice from seasons far worse than what Rodgers has had this year. If he and Rodgers can mesh, I could see this team getting ready to explode on offense again.

B. Beyond just Rivers, the Chargers offense as a whole this year has been outstanding. The experts keep bringing them up as a dark horse, and I believe it is Whizenhunt and not Anthony Lynn who is the reason. Yes they have Keenan Allen, Melvin Gordon, Mike Williams and others, but Whisenhunt has utilized that talent to its potential.

C. Don't be fooled by his failures in Tennessee. He was simply not the right fit there, and his main struggle is just that he can't develop rookie QBs.

All in all, Whisenhunt may not be the guy to have here once Rodgers retires given his QB development track record, but for the short term getting this team back to the SB while Rodgers is still here, we should consider him.

2. Eric Bieniemy: Not a household name yet, but guess which coaching tree he's from? Yup, that's right, the Andy Reid one. We saw what Pederson did in Philly last year, what Nagy is doing in Chicago this year, and no secret as to what Machines and company are doing in KC this year. Eric B is going to be bid on for a HC job at some point, we should jump in now

3. Jim Caldwell: Now .... I might get ripped on for this one, but yes I would go as far as considering Caldwell for our HC. Caldwell was brilliant sticking Peyton Manning in his prime in position to succeed, and he was 100℅ for Flacco getting his Superbowl win in Baltimore.

Also, Detroit was stupid to fire him, that was the worst HC firing in NFL history. If we hire him, he will unleash our offense on them and run circles around the inept clown Matt Patricia. Rodgers is also way smarter and more precise than Stafford and will not hamper Caldwell's offense the way that awful overpaid QB in Detroit did. I think Caldwell will be coaching in the NFL again, and if we don't get him, I believe he will replace Shannahan in SF and return the 49ers to powerhouse status

4. Edgar Bennett: Wo Pould you consider an ex-coordinator who though he served under MM was still a good receivers coach and was here in the days of our better offenses as a HC candidate? Risky yes, but I would. I feel even if he's not a schemer per se, he's a players coach and a motivator. After today, we all want fire and heart in this team, and can Bennett bring it here? I'm going to say yes he can.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
4. Edgar Bennett: Wo Pould you consider an ex-coordinator who though he served under MM was still a good receivers coach and was here in the days of our better offenses as a HC candidate? Risky yes, but I would. I feel even if he's not a schemer per se, he's a players coach and a motivator. After today, we all want fire and heart in this team, and can Bennett bring it here? I'm going to say yes he can.

Absolutely NO.

Bennett was the OC when this team start grinding to a halt on offense. (2015-17). Only reason he had "success" as a WR coach was who he was working with from 2011-2014. Add no experience with being a game manager of any sort.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely NO.

Bennett was the OC when this team start grinding to a halt on offense. (2015-17). Only reason he had "success" as a WR coach was who he was working with from 2011-2014. Add no experience with being a game manager of any sort.

Pretty sure you can pin that stuff on MM, Clements and Van Pelt more so than EB

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can pin that stuff on MM, Clements and Van Pelt more so than EB
Could be, but I haven't seen anything about Bennett as being good HC material, nor would I want to clutter up the process with bringing in an old coach as the new HC. This team needs a fresh start when it comes to that.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be, but I haven't seen anything about Bennett as being good HC material, nor would I want to clutter up the process with bringing in an old coach as the new HC. This team needs a fresh start when it comes to that.
I would be interested to see what would happen though if he could get out from under Gruden's garbage in Oakland and actually get an OC job in which he actually is the playbook runner and not the OC in name only. If he succeeded in doing that, we'd definitely know where the fault lied.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would be interested to see what would happen though if he could get out from under Gruden's garbage in Oakland and actually get an OC job in which he actually is the playbook runner and not the OC in name only. If he succeeded in doing that, we'd definitely know where the fault lied.

The "Good News", I think the Packers will have much better options when it comes to who wants the job. Meanwhile, I think if Dorsey and Wolf like MM, he heads to Cleveland, which might not be a bad hire for them or him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am against hiring a defensive guy for head coach.
I'm against hiring a bad position coach with little experience with no track record of any successful scheming or game planning to be a head coach.

WTF is the fascination with him??

Because he was a fiery leader? That is what 1% of the job?!?!?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want a coach that will use a FB on 3rd and 1. Dabo might be interesting.

Well, I know we all want creativity and new ideas in our offense and all, and sure Dabo Swinney could bring that, but I don't think he would succeed in the NFL long-term for a few reasons:

1. The coaching culture of the NFL is starkly different than in college, especially given the players are more in control in the NFL than they are in the halls of Clemson University. I do not believe Swinney would like that considering Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban and Chip Kelly all failed in being able to run NFL teams in NFL fashion.

2. Scheme is important, but not the end all factor in the pros. Chip Kelly learned this the hard way in Philly.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we pull from college... we need someone strong to take over and to bring in a really good fresh OC.

I'd be all good with Jim Harbaugh with say a Kliff Klingsbury as a OC. Harbaugh would bring in a hard nosed coach that would demand things that MM never did. Klingsbury could help turn this offense around with a 2020's style offense with ARod leading it. Add in three top 40 or so draft picks and you have a solid start. That doesn't even include free agency.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If we pull from college... we need someone strong to take over and to bring in a really good fresh OC.

I'd be all good with Jim Harbaugh with say a Kliff Klingsbury as a OC. Harbaugh would bring in a hard nosed coach that would demand things that MM never did. Klingsbury could help turn this offense around with a 2020's style offense with ARod leading it. Add in three top 40 or so draft picks and you have a solid start. That doesn't even include free agency.
Innovative, outside the box, cutting edge? THIS IS GREEN BAY!! we just don't think that way. Tried and true, back to the well one more time, Ford Focus not Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts