ALL recent another head coach options merged-- preMM firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big part of college success is how well a coach recruits. Not an issue in the NFL. Lots of college coaches have to be fatherly to the young men as well. Also not an issue in the NFL.

I would only look at coaches who dont recruit well, but have success with lesser talent.

I would first look at NFL coordinators who have had success over a few years. I would go with a young up-and-comer. I would also consider Pettine. I know he failed in Cleveland, but so did Belichick.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we pull from college... we need someone strong to take over and to bring in a really good fresh OC.

I'd be all good with Jim Harbaugh with say a Kliff Klingsbury as a OC. Harbaugh would bring in a hard nosed coach that would demand things that MM never did. Klingsbury could help turn this offense around with a 2020's style offense with ARod leading it. Add in three top 40 or so draft picks and you have a solid start. That doesn't even include free agency.

I have considered Harbaugh, and his success in this league with lesser QBs than Rodgers certainly would be a good reason to at least call or interview him, I do have a couple reservations too.

1. He has so far indicated he is 100℅ committed to Michigan, and I believe he will be counting on Meyer retiring soon at OSU soon so he can win the Big 10 and a national championship. Only after he wins a title I believe will he consider returning to the NFL.

2. I do believe yes he is more fiery than MM and even possibly more innovative. But he is also stubborn like MM. We would definitely have to hope he and Rodgers don't go sour at all on each other, cuz if they do, our QB/HC dysfunction would get very bad more so than it is now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A big part of college success is how well a coach recruits. Not an issue in the NFL. Lots of college coaches have to be fatherly to the young men as well. Also not an issue in the NFL.

I would only look at coaches who dont recruit well, but have success with lesser talent.

I would first look at NFL coordinators who have had success over a few years. I would go with a young up-and-comer. I would also consider Pettine. I know he failed in Cleveland, but so did Belichick.
Pettine is not a bad choice. I thought they would name him interim HC after they just whacked MM. And I agree that young coordinators with a solid history are the best candidates, or at least the best place to look. I wouldn’t mind if they picked a DC as the next HC. Rodgers is plenty capable of running an offense, not that they don’t need a solid OC, they do. I’m not sure either way if Philbin is the guy. But a new HC should get to pick his own guys. After all, he’s responsible for everything. I hope Pettine sticks around, but again, the HC should make that decision.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have considered Harbaugh, and his success in this league with lesser QBs than Rodgers certainly would be a good reason to at least call or interview him, I do have a couple reservations too.

1. He has so far indicated he is 100℅ committed to Michigan, and I believe he will be counting on Meyer retiring soon at OSU soon so he can win the Big 10 and a national championship. Only after he wins a title I believe will he consider returning to the NFL.

2. I do believe yes he is more fiery than MM and even possibly more innovative. But he is also stubborn like MM. We would definitely have to hope he and Rodgers don't go sour at all on each other, cuz if they do, our QB/HC dysfunction would get very bad more so than it is now.
Your second point is a very good one when considering Jim H as the next HC. I lived in SF when he coached the Niners. He has fire, and he’s had success in the NFL, but he is stubborn and very hard to get along with and was always in the news becasue of one argument or the other, usually with ownership. We’ve had enough stubborness with MM. And a coach without an open mind, and able to take input, will ultimately fail.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
from a previous post back a few pages:
Bruce Arians, recently told the Canton Repository that he’d consider coming back, but only for the Browns job.
Everyone thinks mm goes there.. That's a nice problem to have

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone thinks mm goes there.. That's a nice problem to have
Been hearing the same thing about MM. Was actually kinda hoping he'd be successful enough this season to be maybe traded to Cleveland for a 3rd or so. Now they can have him on the plane to Cleveland tomorrow. Would Cleveland have to do the Rooney rule interview or did the Condoleeza Rice thing qualify?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to talk about MM's firing or the reasons behind it here, nor am I going to talk about candidates. We have two threads for that already.

I'm going to say whoever it is must win and win right away. This next draft should give them plenty of offensive talent to work with, and since McVay is constantly brought up as the Gold standard here, next coach had better win right away like he did.

All that to say, I don't want to see the posters who constantly berated MM over the last few years have a double standard for the next guy just because he's new in town and cut him slack. If he doesn't win right away, I will take no prisoners with him.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, a thread about the bar put on them, in other words, what will be expected out of the HC.

Imo, can't treat this next season as rebuild year.
I hear ya but there are 6 or 7 threads on the first page in regards to coaching or coaches. Either way I agree that it should not be a rebuild year, it should be a putting the train back on the tracks year

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I think if Dorsey and Wolf like MM, he heads to Cleveland, which might not be a bad hire for them or him.
I like McCarthy and think he deserves another shot in the NFL. I'd like to see him go to Cleveland.
Looks like that kid Baker Mayfield has a mouth on him though. I wonder if they'd get along.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dad brought up a Name from College. What about Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Kelly?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hear ya but there are 6 or 7 threads on the first page in regards to coaching or coaches. Either way I agree that it should not be a rebuild year, it should be a putting the train back on the tracks year
A new head coach means new tracks.... The current offense and playbook is out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts