ALL recent another head coach options merged-- preMM firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but Harbaugh did not last long in the NFL for a reason. Kids will put up with his crap, grown men won't for very long.
That may be true... but I think his problems in San Fran... were more related to him not getting along with Management rather than the players.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but Harbaugh did not last long in the NFL for a reason. Kids will put up with his crap, grown men won't for very long.
That may be true... but I think his problems in San Fran... were more related to him not getting along with Management rather than the players.

I kind of agree with both of you here and they might be somewhat intertwined. Harbaugh still has to get along with "Michigan's Management" which could be very similar or different than that of the 49'ers. Harbaugh still has to get along with players, be it 18-23 year olds or 21-40 year olds.

All in all it was just a situation that didn't work out for Harbaugh, but I don't think it is a completely fair assumption to conclude from it that he isn't cut out for the NFL.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harbaugh's Michigan team got blown out big time by Ohio State. They had a great chance to make it to the final 4. He will never win a Big Ten title. Never. And anyny NFL team that hires him is looking for trouble. The guy is a head case pure and simple. Nut job.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harbaugh's Michigan team got blown out big time by Ohio State. They had a great chance to make it to the final 4. He will never win a Big Ten title. Never. And anyny NFL team that hires him is looking for trouble. The guy is a head case pure and simple. Nut job.
I wouldn't hire Jim Harbaugh to coach the Green Bay Packers even if he offered to work for free.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
John Defilippo schemed up a better offense last night with lesser personnel at QB and on the OL and in the backfield. I'm sure they're looking hard at him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Defilippo schemed up a better offense last night with lesser personnel at QB and on the OL and in the backfield. I'm sure they're looking hard at him.
Let's be honest here, some of the Vikings made spectacular plays. Thielen had 3-4 very good, to great catches. Rudolph had a big time catch for an important play. Diggs had a couple big time plays at big time moments, and they got to execute this "scheme" against who on defense?

Meanwhile pretty much every big play GB could have made, the didn't. Graham with a tough one he's being paid to make. I can think of at least 2 over throws to just Adams that were overthrows, one for an easy TD missed. and we had to execute this offense against who? you know you're in trouble when you can readily name the opposing defense but aren't quite sure who's on your own. Regardless of the play call, I'd rather run it against what GB had to put on the field for defense last night 100 times out of 100, than try and run that same play against the Vikings defense.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll admit I have no idea. I don’t follow this stuff but I think it’s getting to be time...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for starting this becasue I’m interested in what everyone thinks.

Maybe John Harbaugh? He seems like a complete HC (whereas MM is an overpaid OC).

My guess is it will be someone not on anyone’s radar right now.

Minnesota’s OC, DeFelippo has been mentioned. Jim Harbaugh? Interesting to think about. He’s had success in the NFL with the niners, and has done well with Michigan. I think he’s a little too nuts to be a HC, and when he was in SF, he was always fighting with management (talking about the Yorks here, and they’re just as nuts as he is). Jim Harbaugh does bring energy and intensity to the game. I’d like to see a HC with some passion on the sideline, kinda like Pete Carroll (even though I hate the guy and his team).

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My biggest problem with Defilippo as a hire is that he abandons the run just like McCarthy.

I am honestly shocked there are any people who want to keep McCarthy. When was the last time his team exceeded expectations? Sure his players could have made plays but that is true of every team. What does McCarthy do well?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's as bad as it gets for the underperformers, I think they're coming out ahead.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Matt Lefluer, Pete Carmichael and Eric Bieniemy are really the only logical options here. DeFilippo reminds me of Ben Macadoo, though taking him away from the Vikings is a benefit.
Harbaugh gets paid more in Michigan than he ever would in Green Bay. Josh McDaniels makes about what he would make in Green Bay as an OC in New England. I’ll take the hard pass on Marvin Lewis, Jason Garrett and Bruce Arians. Lincoln Riley may be a good option, but college coaches transitioning in the NFL is a major risk.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matt Lefluer, Pete Carmichael and Eric Bieniemy are really the only logical options here. DeFilippo reminds me of Ben Macadoo, though taking him away from the Vikings is a benefit.
Harbaugh gets paid more in Michigan than he ever would in Green Bay. Josh McDaniels makes about what he would make in Green Bay as an OC in New England. I’ll take the hard pass on Marvin Lewis, Jason Garrett and Bruce Arians. Lincoln Riley may be a good option, but college coaches transitioning in the NFL is a major risk.

Maybe not after last weekend. :)

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gutekunst did a good job with the draft, especially picking up a 1st. rounder next season. Alexander, Jackson and MVS already look like the real deal. Jackson just needs to learn which grabs and illegal contacts he can get away with. Perhaps Jackson should study the old Legion of Boom tape to see how it's done; they were the masters of the ticky-tack non-call. ;) There could be more yield out of the other 2018 draftees in year 2.

With a half season in the books, I did not and still can't give a + to this FA class short of a championship, which I did not expect at the time of those signings nor do I expect one now.

Whether that's a function of McCarthy's table pounding his view of the needs or Gutekunst pressing for competativness is an unknown given the org chart.
He drafted a punter! You can go to any soccer field and get a punter..was Gutekunst plan this year to punt the ball more??

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest problem with Defilippo as a hire is that he abandons the run just like McCarthy.

I am honestly shocked there are any people who want to keep McCarthy. When was the last time his team exceeded expectations? Sure his players could have made plays but that is true of every team. What does McCarthy do well?
Eat.

H

HardRightEdge

He drafted a punter! You can go to any soccer field and get a punter..was Gutekunst plan this year to punt the ball more??
He drafted a long snapper (that's a ST center, not a big fish) and an OL who never showed up. So, ignore the other picks and fire everybody. :sleep:

Puppydog31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s be honest. Aaron Rodgers isn’t getting any younger and with ted Thompson’s draft and development and not getting Rodgers any free agents throughout the years the Green Bay packers may not ever make the playoffs without giving Rodgers a defense or offensive weapons. Or an offensive line to protect him. There’s just too much to rebuild with the little time Aaron Rodgers has left..

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bring back Holmgren for one last rodeo. Other possible candidates: Jason Garrett (If he's somehow fired), Holmgren, Marc Trestman, Lovie Smith, Jim Bob ******, Cowher, Lincoln Riley, Joe Lombardi, DeFilippo, McDaniels, & Kris Richard.

Status
Not open for further replies.