Air raid sirens at football games?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowadays they have these ridiculous noisemakers at football games.
I dunno why they feel the need to do this.
A train horn, an air raid siren and maybe there are other things I am forgetting at the moment.
With what is happening in Ukraine now it seems really un PC or uncool to be using the air raid siren anymore.
That has just got to be one of the worst noises civilians can hear in a war zone.
And seeing how there is a lot of pro Ukraine sentiment I wonder if they are going to keep on using it.
I know. Keep politics out of football but in a way this is integrating a real life political sad situation into it.
It also reminds me when the tornado sirens go off and that is a sound I really hate to hear as I live in a place where we can get them.
Who was the moron who thought this noise was a good idea for a sporting event?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish they'd get rid of all of it. It's gotten to the point its all loud and obnoxious bunk to rile up people that don't know how to get into a football game. Anyway, there have been lots of places getting bombed and civilians dying and wars going on for a long time. Ukraine is the latest, nobody stopped making noises before.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowadays they have these ridiculous noisemakers at football games.
I dunno why they feel the need to do this.
A train horn, an air raid siren and maybe there are other things I am forgetting at the moment.
With what is happening in Ukraine now it seems really un PC or uncool to be using the air raid siren anymore.
That has just got to be one of the worst noises civilians can hear in a war zone.
And seeing how there is a lot of pro Ukraine sentiment I wonder if they are going to keep on using it.
I know. Keep politics out of football but in a way this is integrating a real life political sad situation into it.
It also reminds me when the tornado sirens go off and that is a sound I really hate to hear as I live in a place where we can get them.
Who was the moron who thought this noise was a good idea for a sporting event?

I have found that the loudest, most obnoxious and offensive sounds at football games by far come from the fans.

Tied for second place would be the milk jugs filled with pea gravel or whatever and that stupid horn they blow at the vikings games.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wish they'd get rid of all of it. It's gotten to the point its all loud and obnoxious bunk to rile up people that don't know how to get into a football game. Anyway, there have been lots of places getting bombed and civilians dying and wars going on for a long time. Ukraine is the latest, nobody stopped making noises before.

I have found that the loudest, most obnoxious and offensive sounds at football games by far come from the fans.

Tied for second place would be the milk jugs filled with pea gravel or whatever and that stupid horn they blow at the vikings games.
Yeah, I don't get it why they feel the need for noise makers to get the fans into something they were already into before the noise makers came along.

I don't think the Packers use that junk, do they?
They have that bass beat which gets the fans to chant, "Go Pack Go!" which is fine and not anywhere near obnoxious.
Another thing to like about the Pack is they don't use cheap gimmicks like flames and fog machines when the players come out of the tunnel.
Less is more and in this case nothing will do just fine.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

As you lot weren`t at the World Cup of PROPER football in South Africa, you won`t have heard the Vuvuuzela.....lol Suck it up buttercup.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you lot weren`t at the World Cup of PROPER football in South Africa, you won`t have heard the Vuvuuzela.....lol Suck it up buttercup.
I don't know how fans don't turn into raving maniacs after listening to those things through a match! I can't even leave the volume on with my TV if I want to watch five minutes of a match.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose, much like a buggybill, it's one of those things that can grow on you, but I usually turn it down :)

Yeah, I don't get it why they feel the need for noise makers to get the fans into something they were already into before the noise makers came along.

I don't think the Packers use that junk, do they?
They have that bass beat which gets the fans to chant, "Go Pack Go!" which is fine and not anywhere near obnoxious.
Another thing to like about the Pack is they don't use cheap gimmicks like flames and fog machines when the players come out of the tunnel.
Less is more and in this case nothing will do just fine.
They don't do any of the noises, but their music has definitely gotten louder over the years and they've added a few. I hate the reminders "Get loud lambeau" I'm sorry, i'm into the game, I don't need your flashing lights and man yelling at me repeatedly over a speaker stack that would blow even Marty McFly back to the future.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Agreed. I used to love going to football, basketball, hockey and whatever games, but the piped in music and sounds has made the outing a lot less fun. I was just talking/yelling to a buddy about this at the Badger Basketball game on Sunday. The UW Marching band barely plays anymore at games, since it is all piped in garbage sounds and music. Having a conversation at games is difficult at best and I usually go home with no voice, not from yelling for my team, but yelling during conversations. If you haven't been to a Bucks game in awhile, bring your earplugs, they by far are the worst.

As far as the Chicago Air Raid sirens, I have hated that since it started. It has one goal, to interfere with the communications of the visiting team in the huddle. I would be fine with big loud halftime shows or during timeouts, but while the clock is running, it should be stopped.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know & work with many Bears fans and not one appreciates or likes the incessant air raid siren. Unfortunately, teams think any noise is better than nothing so they manufacture constant noise.

I think it detracts from the game...but when a stadium's decibel level is hyped (KC) then all of the other teams try to mimic it.

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2016 I attended a game in Tampa with my father, just before his 80th birthday. We had seats near midfield in the back of the second of the three stadium tiers. It was the first and only NFL game he has attended. When the Buccaneers get into the red zone or score points the pirate ship cannons are fired. Every time those cannons fired it was amplified through the sound system between level 2 and level 3 of the stadium which was directly behind our seats. With every firing of the cannons my dad was violently startled by the loud noise.

My dad was there to finally watch his first NFL game, and had his experience somewhat ruined by the amplified noises pumped into the stadium's entertainment system. The next year I got tickets to see Brady, his favourite QB, and the Patriots play in Tampa. I invited dad to attend. He said; "no thanks I'll watch the game at home" in nearby Bradenton. I knew that the noise of his previous fan experience was the reason. When I saw my father startle like that it made me think of how traumatic it could be for war veterans in such a situation.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In 2016 I attended a game in Tampa with my father, just before his 80th birthday. We had seats near midfield in the back of the second of the three stadium tiers. It was the first and only NFL game he has attended. When the Buccaneers get into the red zone or score points the pirate ship cannons are fired. Every time those cannons fired it was amplified through the sound system between level 2 and level 3 of the stadium which was directly behind our seats. With every firing of the cannons my dad was violently startled by the loud noise.

My dad was there to finally watch his first NFL game, and had his experience somewhat ruined by the amplified noises pumped into the stadium's entertainment system. The next year I got tickets to see Brady, his favourite QB, and the Patriots play in Tampa. I invited dad to attend. He said; "no thanks I'll watch the game at home" in nearby Bradenton. I knew that the noise of his previous fan experience was the reason. When I saw my father startle like that it made me think of how traumatic it could be for war veterans in such a situation.
Sad to hear, but doesn't surprise me. I wonder if the NFL or NBA have actually taken a realistic poll on what fans and players for that matter, think of all the loud noise at games? My theory again is this...the noise is suppose to pump up the fans and players. But in the case of music, doesn't that "pump up" both teams?

I remember when I would read or hear on the news "That stadium was rocking tonight!" Back then, it meant the fans were going crazy, these days, anyone could "rock" an empty stadium.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I suppose, much like a buggybill, it's one of those things that can grow on you, but I usually turn it down :)

They don't do any of the noises, but their music has definitely gotten louder over the years and they've added a few. I hate the reminders "Get loud lambeau" I'm sorry, i'm into the game, I don't need your flashing lights and man yelling at me repeatedly over a speaker stack that would blow even Marty McFly back to the future.
Awww, thanks mate :)

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know & work with many Bears fans and not one appreciates or likes the incessant air raid siren. Unfortunately, teams think any noise is better than nothing so they manufacture constant noise.

I think it detracts from the game...but when a stadium's decibel level is hyped (KC) then all of the other teams try to mimic it.
And as we see it doesn't always work.
Seahawks haven't won an SB in awhile and the Chiefs are losing PO games now at Arrowhead.

We have the cold. They have the noise. And it doesn't always go the home teams way.