After visiting the #Packers, DT Ricky Jean Francois is signing a 1-year deal for $3mil with GB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am hoping that not resigning peppers or Jones marks the transition back closer to a traditional 3-4.... I respect the vision capers and Co had. But I am a huge dline fan, and the 2-4-5 really doesn't pay enough attention to the trenches imo. It always seems to become apparent when the great teams play us.

All 3-4 teams are running more nickel than base defense at this point. What you're taking issue with is a league wide trend that's been steadily progressing for several years.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes sir. I like the idea of filling these holes and then going after high impact players in the draft that fit our greatest need. DEFENSE. In particular LB and CB. It may be wise to trade a future draft pick or mid rounder to go after 3 starting level players by close of day 2

my suggestion to you would be to pre-dial a 91 when Goodell announces our pick. If we take anything other than a CB or a LB you are going to have a stroke and need all the time you can get.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Not bad good eye Ted. Now if you can release Guion then you can really make me a happy camper Teddy.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC, if we release Guion we will recover about the same in cap space as Frenchy will count against. Perhaps another move is coming? At least let me dream a little here before you bring the torches. :p

D

Deleted member 6794

Good signing by Thompson. While Jean Francois doesn't offer a lot rushing the passer he's an excellent run defender.

Keep Guion, he's not breaking the bank and he adds another experienced body to the line in case an injury happens. I'd rather throw him in as a replacement than some rookie.

Keep Guion!. Need this type of depth all across the roster.

The Packers should release Guion, dapecially as he didn't even perform at a decent level in 2016.

If we sign that o-lineman from the Titans, Bell, we should be set up very nicely for the draft. Ted just has to hit on our picks.

Unfortunately Thompson still hasn't addressed the team's biggest weakness.

I'm fine with a rotation of Ricky/Daniels/Clark/Guion/Worthy...

I guess you're talking about Lowry as the Packers traded Worthy nearly three years ago.

IIRC, if we release Guion we will recover about the same in cap space as Frenchy will count against.

The Packers would save close to $3.3 million by releasing Guion. I expect that move to happen at some point after the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packer fans should be excited by this signing, if for no other reason, that the Peanut Butter & Jelly Dance is coming to Titletown:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sadly, Now the NFL will probably flag him for excessive celebration for doing that dance. :eek:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stoked with this extra body on the DL, If we pick up one athletic Linebacker in FA (Brown or in a slightly worse scenario, Levy) I feel like we can be a complete team after the draft. Plus such a pickup would lead to Clay not being pegged at OLB and can be moved around.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the word on DeAndre Levy. He's been fantastic but I know he is coming off a bad injury. He did return at the end of the season. He is poison or just asking for too much? Pre-injury I would have lobbied for him no questions asked!

I like the RJF signing. It's nothing spectacular but depth is always appreciated.

D

Deleted member 6794

Stoked with this extra body on the DL, If we pick up one athletic Linebacker in FA (Brown or in a slightly worse scenario, Levy) I feel like we can be a complete team after the draft. Plus such a pickup would lead to Clay not being pegged at OLB and can be moved around.

The Packers will most likely at least lack a shutdown cornerback to be considered a complete team entering next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

What is the word on DeAndre Levy. He's been fantastic but I know he is coming off a bad injury. He did return at the end of the season. He is poison or just asking for too much? Pre-injury I would have lobbied for him no questions asked!

Levy has only played in six games over the past two seasons because of injury. I guess a lot of teams are reluctant to sign a player like that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Sadly, Now the NFL will probably flag him for excessive celebration for doing that dance. :eek:

So now we.got "Peanut Butter Jelley" to go along with "Cap'n Crunch" lol.
We definitely added some characters. Should be fun.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like the RJF signing. It's nothing spectacular but depth is always appreciated.
Pre-injury he would have been a day 1 signing. Not sure what he has left to invest in though

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will most likely at least lack a shutdown cornerback to be considered a complete team entering next season.

While I know that it's rare for a first round CB to immediately become a shutdown corner, I'd feel like if we were to sign a linebacker we are able to double dip early on CB in such a loaded class. Increased competition between our young CB's has to result in one becoming a solid starter and CB1 next to House. At least the position would not be as exposed, or wishful thinking, a weakness this way.

Back to Francois, this guy is going to be a great addition to our locker room. Love this guy's mentality.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree we still don't have a bonafide shutdown. However sadly House did upgrade our outside DB play....and still may grab a starter in draft.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I agree we still don't have a bonafide shutdown. However sadly House did upgrade our outside DB play....and still may grab a starter in draft.

While I like the Packers making corner a priority in the draft and developing one I don't like the idea of a rookie taking us to the promise land at one of the most important positions on the field.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I know that it's rare for a first round CB to immediately become a shutdown corner, I'd feel like if we were to sign a linebacker we are able to double dip early on CB in such a loaded class. Increased competition between our young CB's has to result in one becoming a solid starter and CB1 next to House. At least the position would not be as exposed, or wishful thinking, a weakness this way.

Back to Francois, this guy is going to be a great addition to our locker room. Love this guy's mentality.

This is why I thought it was a great idea to sign Barwin. It would have taken the pressure off of finding a good pass rusher and corner in the same draft. Now, we're basically gambling on hitting both in the draft. I'm not saying Barwin would have been a world beater, but I think he could have done a decent job replacing Peppers, in the locker room and on the field.