Adrian Peterson

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone of our backs is better.....

That's not true...

Tough to sign a 3rd or 4th runningback that probably won't contribute on special teams.

If the Packers had signed peterson, I believe they would of traded jamal williams before cutdowns, making peterson number 2. Peterson is unquestionably better than williams as a player but as a person I don't think you make that switch

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
better runner, probably, better player? I don't think so in this offense. Williams has to be one of the absolute best blitz pick up men in the business, he's assignment sure and he's a better receiver than Peterson. Both traits have a much higher emphasis in this offense than what Peterson brings. As a pure runner, yeah, he's one of the best and even at this stage might be better than williams. Though it is a long season, we'll see.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
better runner, probably, better player? I don't think so in this offense. Williams has to be one of the absolute best blitz pick up men in the business, he's assignment sure and he's a better receiver than Peterson. Both traits have a much higher emphasis in this offense than what Peterson brings. As a pure runner, yeah, he's one of the best and even at this stage might be better than williams. Though it is a long season, we'll see.

Id agree that williams is a better role player, and thus better for this team. Which is why I wouldn't of wanted em to make that trade and probably why they didn't. However it's clear who the better player is. Peterson can still put up 1000 yards while avg over 4 a carry. It's highly unlikely that williams will ever do that during his entire career...

And you say as a runner implying that peterson can't contribute in the passing game. He's also actually a better receiver out of the backfield than williams as well. When asked peterson has demonstrated he's a dangerous recieving threat. He caught 3 for 21 on Sunday so maybe Detroit plans to use him in the passing game well see...but in 2 seasons with a qb who knows how to use a rb, brett Favre, peterson put up 43 and 36 receptions for averages of 10.1 and 9.5 per catch....

So I guess williams has him on blitz pickup and that's all. But honestly I have never looked at his blocking. Though I have a feeling if he is indeed bad at it he could be good at it if he wanted to. A guy that talented and mean on the field obviously has the capability to do it...but once again that part is why williams is better for this team. He's the ultimate team player, peterson is not

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers had signed peterson, I believe they would of traded jamal williams before cutdowns, making peterson number 2.

I highly doubt there would have been a decent market to trade Williams.

Id agree that williams is a better role player, and thus better for this team. Which is why I wouldn't of wanted em to make that trade and probably why they didn't. However it's clear who the better player is. Peterson can still put up 1000 yards while avg over 4 a carry. It's highly unlikely that williams will ever do that during his entire career...

And you say as a runner implying that peterson can't contribute in the passing game. He's also actually a better receiver out of the backfield than williams as well. When asked peterson has demonstrated he's a dangerous recieving threat. He caught 3 for 21 on Sunday so maybe Detroit plans to use him in the passing game well see...but in 2 seasons with a qb who knows how to use a rb, brett Favre, peterson put up 43 and 36 receptions for averages of 10.1 and 9.5 per catch....

So I guess williams has him on blitz pickup and that's all. But honestly I have never looked at his blocking. Though I have a feeling if he is indeed bad at it he could be good at it if he wanted to. A guy that talented and mean on the field obviously has the capability to do it...but once again that part is why williams is better for this team. He's the ultimate team player, peterson is not

While Peterson is a better runner than Williams in the right system he's not a fit for the Packers' one.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt there would have been a decent market to trade Williams.

While Peterson is a better runner than Williams in the right system he's not a fit for the Packers' one.

Probably right, I was going to say trade or release.

And I wasn't saying the Packers should of signed him just that he's unquestionably a better player even at whatever age than Williams. Fit or no fit for the offense he would still put up better numbers than williams. I was really responding to people saying every rb on Packers roster is better than Peterson. Jones and Dillion yeah. Williams not a chance. Williams a better fit for what role the Packers are asking him to play which is going to be a diminishing one as the season goes on and dillon takes his touches

D

Deleted member 6794

Fit or no fit for the offense he would still put up better numbers than williams. I was really responding to people saying every rb on Packers roster is better than Peterson. Jones and Dillion yeah. Williams not a chance.

Peterson has struggled for his entire career with the quarterback lining up in the shotgun, something Rodgers does on the majority of snaps. Therefore I'm not convinced he would put up better numbers than Williams.

Dillon hasn't done anything to justify considering him a better back than Peterson. He's still behind Williams and Ervin on the depth chart after all.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington releasing Peterson while not having much talent at running back is telling. In addition he's not a fit to excel in a system with a quarterback mostly lining up in the shotgun.

I really don't see any reason to bring up his name every time he's released by another team.

normally I would agree with you but in this case I'm willing to make an exception simply because it has come to be expected from Slacker. I'm not even sure he is serious about it anymore. All I know is we should be expecting at least one more 5 years after he retires.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon hasn't done anything to justify considering him a better back than Peterson. He's still behind Williams and Ervin on the depth chart after all.

Ervin isn't gonna get more than about 5 carries a game he has a very specific role. A

And he's behind williams right now but by the end of season he won't be, I'm certain that's the plan.

I didn't say dillon was better than peterson. I said "jones and dillon yeah. Williams not a chance" which was unclear. But what I meant by that was yeah you can argue that, that's reasonable. But to say williams is a better player than peterson is to completely ignore the facts

D

Deleted member 6794

normally I would agree with you but in this case I'm willing to make an exception simply because it has come to be expected from Slacker. I'm not even sure he is serious about it anymore. All I know is we should be expecting at least one more 5 years after he retires.

Slacker has been around for quite some time (first under a different nickname). I'm quite sure he's serious about his desire to sign Peterson.

Ervin isn't gonna get more than about 5 carries a game he has a very specific role. A

And he's behind williams right now but by the end of season he won't be, I'm certain that's the plan.

I didn't say dillon was better than peterson. I said "jones and dillon yeah. Williams not a chance" which was unclear. But what I meant by that was yeah you can argue that, that's reasonable. But to say williams is a better player than peterson is to completely ignore the facts

I agree that it's the plan for Dillon to move past Williams on the depth chart but it's far from certain that's gonna happen.

I'm sorry but at this point it's not reasonable at all to argue that Dillon is a better player than Peterson.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but at this point it's not reasonable at all to argue that Dillon is a better player than Peterson.

It's definitely reasonable to argue dillon is a better player right now than peterson, I'm not saying he is, I'm saying one could make that argument. It was more about the fact that there is no possible argument that williams is better than peterson right now... but yes it's certainly not reasonable to say dillon is better than peterson ever was, which I don't think anyone did

D

Deleted member 6794

It's definitely reasonable to argue dillon is a better player right now than peterson, I'm not saying he is, I'm saying one could make that argument.

Based on what??? Dillon is currently fourth on the Packers depth chart (behind Williams I might add) and has a total of two career carries. Peterson started for the Lions and put up impressive numbers only a week after joining the team.

There's absolutely no argument to be made to consider Dillon a better player.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on what??? Dillon is currently fourth on the Packers depth chart (behind Williams I might add) and has a total of two career carries. Peterson started for the Lions and put up impressive numbers only a week after joining the team.

There's absolutely no argument to be made to consider Dillon a better player.

Based on potential...we don't know yet about dillon but signs are he's a pretty darn good player.

Point is williams has proven to be not as good as peterson is right now...while dillon is a projection at this point. Albiet carries of 6 and 8 yards on your only 2 chances is definitely a sign in the right direction for him.

He's only behind williams because of experience, specifically blitz pickup. It's clear already he's far more talented than williams. The Packers like to start rookies out slow for the most part. Allowing them to take on more and more of a role from the veteran as the season goes on...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is that we have some good RBs. Why would we bring anyone else in? That is not a weakness on this team. 2nd string, 3rd string, 4th string...doesn't matter.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is that we have some good RBs. Why would we bring anyone else in? That is not a weakness on this team. 2nd string, 3rd string, 4th string...doesn't matter.

AP is a good back, but I can't say he's any better at this point than what Green Bay has in it's stable. And AP doesn't do special teams.

If Green Bay is going to sign a veteran, DT, OT, and WR all make more sense than RB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP is a good back, but I can't say he's any better at this point than what Green Bay has in it's stable. And AP doesn't do special teams.

If Green Bay is going to sign a veteran, DT, OT, and WR all make more sense than RB.
I have read that they have around $8 or 9 Million in cap space. So I think they are smart to have that and to wait on it.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
isn't human. smh. 6+ yards per carry.
Also had more rushing yards by himself than the entire Washington team had.

And another thing. Not a back for the Packers. His play does not fit well with the type of offense that the Packers use. And he sucks at pass blocking.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn’t the fact the he keeps getting cut by others teams tell us all something?????

D

Deleted member 6794

Based on potential...we don't know yet about dillon but signs are he's a pretty darn good player.

Point is williams has proven to be not as good as peterson is right now...while dillon is a projection at this point. Albiet carries of 6 and 8 yards on your only 2 chances is definitely a sign in the right direction for him.

Two carries is an extremely small sample size. While Dillon looked impressive on those runs it might be smart to wait before making any projections based on it.

I have read that they have around $8 or 9 Million in cap space. So I think they are smart to have that and to wait on it.

The Packers will need every cent possible to roll over into next year to stay under the cap for 2021.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Jamaal Williams will become the next Jarrett Bush/John Kuhn here on this forum if he ever has the gall to make a very noticeable blunder. I have a feeling that he is far more valued by staff and teammates than he is by the fans.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jamaal Williams will become the next Jarrett Bush/John Kuhn here on this forum if he ever has the gall to make a very noticeable blunder. I have a feeling that he is far more valued by staff and teammates than he is by the fans.

In my opinion Kuhn was overvalued by the majority of Packers fans.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts