Adams Traded to Las Vegas

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah not a good look for Packers front office once again...you offer more money than any other team and still your fhof wr wants out. Reportedly because of the way the Packers handled the contract negotiations...

I believe Julio Jones is going to become available
Julio's best days are behind him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not really, at that point, Adams was an ascending player, but not a Super Star, while he could have left nobody was going to pay him the kind of money he just got, and he was smart enough to know that being Aaron Rodgers primary receiver was a better thing for his career than rolling the dice elsewhere. It is different now… now he can cash in on that investment and go where he wants.
I would disagree. The Packers made him the 4th highest paid WR in the NFL in 2017. He had other options if he wanted out of GB in 2017. We may never know the full story of why the Packers after 6 or so months of trying to negotiate with him couldn't convince him to stay, but my opinion is that part of it had to do with the drama of #12. If Davante truly wanted out of Green Bay just to be with the Raiders, why would he have even engaged in negotiations? My opinion is that his wanting out of GB started last Spring, and then when negotiations with the Packers on a deal didn't go well and he saw all the Rodgers drama reappear, he knew it was time to get out.

2018 3 late round receivers… many players from those rounds don’t even make the final roster. Amari Rodgers 3rd round was Gute’s only attempt at a receiver where it appears that he considered it to be a priority, and I’d say 3rd round is more of a roll the dice round… some are great… some not so much. The jury is still out on Amari, but last year he didn’t inspire confidence. I find the Cobb nonsense to be somewhat irrelevant to this point.
I think you, I and maybe a few others have been harping on this for years. Both TT and Gute have over relied on #12 to make up for the deficiencies in the WR room. The amount of investment in the position since 2014 when Davante was drafted, is embarrassingly stupid by both GM's.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last dance reference is now rather cryptic. 17 was referring to his last dance in Green Bay. I ate some crow (a lot of it) on 17. Truly a legendary talent. I wish him well and it'll be interesting to see the impact in LV.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both Adams and the Packers win here. He got paid and will play where he wants. We got cap relief and extra picks in the first 2 rounds in a deep WR draft class.
Absolutely right. I just showed my bias lol. I'll usually side with the players over management.

buckthorn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The amount of investment in the position since 2014 when Davante was drafted, is embarrassingly stupid by both GM's.
This. And this includes taking Love instead of a WR, as well as failing to strengthen the position by other means after that. This is the track record I had in mind in an earlier post. And it goes for both GMs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not in this year's draft. This is the year to draft WRs.
Most years these days have a supposedly good/great WR draft class. They're a dime a dozen supposedly. Lets get a talented D-Lineman, Safety or Edge early. Get the receivers in the 2nd, 4th and 7th round. Heck, if we re-sign Scantling, Rodgers won't throw the ball to any rookie more than twice a game anyway. It's not like we should suddenly expect Rodgers to adapt or change his MO. The guy is one of the most stubborn and slow to adapt his game to changing circumstances that I've ever seen.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd put the Love instead of a WR in there, but they thought they had a plan to get one in the 2nd that didn't then pan out. As for anything else, in a vacuum, yeah Gute hasn't done much for the WR position, but then we had lots of other issues and they've been dealt with nicely for the most part. When you have a HOF QB and the other parts seemed to have escaped you in getting to the Lombardi, it makes sense to address them. Anyone saying Ted didn't address it adequately? Same, defense kept us out multiple times and he gave this team more than ample offensive firepower for a decade.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Deguara might have a sneaky breakout season
In 2008 I mocked Finley because he played like a klutz. Little did I know someone would plug him in come 2009. Turned out to be a great player whose career was sadly cut short because of a dirty hit.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most years these days have a supposedly good/great WR draft class. They're a dime a dozen supposedly. Lets get a talented D-Lineman, Safety or Edge early. Get the receivers in the 2nd, 4th and 7th round. Heck, if we re-sign Scantling, Rodgers won't throw the ball to any rookie more than twice a game anyway. It's not like we should suddenly expect Rodgers to adapt or change his MO. The guy is one of the most stubborn and slow to adapt his game to changing circumstances that I've ever seen.
But this isn't the year to draft a QB.

tripleguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great QBs can often make OK receivers great receivers. Rodgers has done that his whole career and Favre before that. It will be interesting to see if a great receiver (Adams) can make an OK quarterback even a good QB.

While Adams and Carr have history, it's not at the pro level. Rodgers seldom rendered Adams defenseless with his accuracy. Lots of perfectly timed back shoulder, comeback and slant routes. I think we'll see Adams on the IR list this year. Just a hunch.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No worries guys we have Amari Rodgers and Lazard to take the place of Adams, we'll be ok!! /s

But really this just points further and further into the ineptitude that is Gute when it comes to lack of weapons. If Gute doesn't land AT LEAST a #2 WR in Jones, or Juju or Jarvis then it's a disservice to this franchise AGAIN on the weapons front

There's not a doubt in my mind that Rodgers and Adams both bonded the past few years over their dislike for this franchise... or rather the people run it. Rodgers was surprisingly able to get over it, Adams wasn't able to. And I really don't blame him.

Reaction score
There's not a doubt in my mind that Rodgers and Adams both bonded the past few years over their dislike for this franchise... or rather the people run it. Rodgers was surprisingly able to get over it, Adams wasn't able to. And I really don't blame him.
Also, Adams should of realized, QB position is more important then any great receiver in the eyes of the front office.

Either way Adams put a lot on the line for us, and I wish him will and a healthy career.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Adams should of realized, QB position is more important then any great receiver in the eyes of the front office.

Either way Adams put a lot on the line for us, and I wish him will and a healthy career.
I will miss Adams and root heavy for him, he's the best WR we've had since Sterling Sharpe.

But this 1000000% falls on Gute (idk what the deal is with this front office always having your star players upset with them).. and if he decides that he just wants to stand pat and resign MVS, Lazard and some bottom of the barrel FA like he tried to with Funchess and that's it....... then I'm out on him

Hell, if he doesn't pick up a WR in the 1st round then I'm out on him also. We need 2-3 GOOD WR's right now, not great ones just GOOD ones.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Adams always knew where he stood in the pecking order, in fact he knew there was no pecking order.

Davante Adams handled himself with grace and determination his entire GB tenure.

He sacrificed and got better, achieving great heights in the green and gold.

Rodgers and Adams referered to last season as the Last Dance and it turns out they were right.

If reports are true and the offer from GB was comparable to the Raiders offer, then Adams knew what he wanted and where he wanted to go.

He provided stellar production. He got paid. GB got compensation back exceeding his draft slot as a 2nd round pick.

When he returns for the ring of honor we WILL honor him.

For now let's turn the page and keep it moving.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great QBs can often make OK receivers great receivers. Rodgers has done that his whole career and Favre before that. It will be interesting to see if a great receiver (Adams) can make an OK quarterback even a good QB.

While Adams and Carr have history, it's not at the pro level. Rodgers seldom rendered Adams defenseless with his accuracy. Lots of perfectly timed back shoulder, comeback and slant routes. I think we'll see Adams on the IR list this year. Just a hunch.
Plus I am not sure the Raiders will use him the same way the Packers did. Sometimes the short stuff to him was like a wide running play.

Staff online

Latest posts