Aaron Rodgers Attitude

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn’t HS football. It’s not a movie.

A pep talk, or yelling, isn’t going to do a lot. From what I understand from my friends who played relatively small time D1 college football, even there they view it as super corny. Guys know what they’re there to do.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then how does one get them to do it?

You tell them to act like a grown man and do their job. If they can’t, you’ll find somebody else.

If they can’t get motivated to win a Super Bowl, then what is going to motivate them? A coach or player giving a corny pep talk? Unlikely. That’s all forgotten once you get back on the field.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn’t HS football. It’s not a movie.

A pep talk, or yelling, isn’t going to do a lot. From what I understand from my friends who played relatively small time D1 college football, even there they view it as super corny. Guys know what they’re there to do.

I think in a situation where a defense is really rocking and playing well a little more pep from the sidelines can help boost them even more. It can help feed their own adrenaline and motivation. Even when getting beat I think most players feel like they are giving it their all. They get frustrated because what they are doing isn't working and they can't do what they want to do. In a case like this having someone on the side lines yelling YOU CAN DO IT just ****** them off at the person doing the yelling rather than the opponent. .

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with the sentiment that pro athletes don't need to be pumped up, because they are professionals. All it means is that they are getting paid. Some people absolutely need external motivation. While most of the greats had/have massive amounts of internal motivation, there are many players that don't have it. A smart coach knows who does and doesn't need the encouragement.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that Lombardi guy knew how to handle people.
This is getting off topic, but I read When Pride Still Mattered back when it first came out. For some reason, the one image of Lombardi that sticks in my head the most is of him stopping off at Catholic Mass every morning before going to work, and subbing as an altar boy if one was needed. When I think of Lombardi, that's what I think of.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it's his job to fire up the defense? Tell me when has Brady or Brees ever done this? Hell if Rodgers yelled at them then what? We would be criticizing him for being a bad teammate. So he didn't fire up the defense. If you need to be fired up then you shouldn't be in the NFL if you ask me. And who's to say he hasn't encouraged them in the past?

I swear we are so spoiled by Rodgers that we think of new ways to criticize the guy.

It's Aaron's job NOT to quit in winnable games. It's Aaron's job NOT to LOSE winnable games. As 12 goes so do we.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the body language police on this guy. It's a cheap way to criticize him. Without saying it, the people who criticize him for this should basically ask Aaron to get some pom poms and start cheerleading while the defense is on the field. That is basically what these critics are saying. Do people forget when Crosby missed a ton of kicks @ Detroit 2 years ago he went to give him a hug? People have made up their mind on this guy already. There's nothing this guy can do to win the opinion of those people.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely hate the body language police on this guy. It's a cheap way to criticize him. Without saying it, the people who criticize him for this should basically ask Aaron to get some pom poms and start cheerleading while the defense is on the field.
I think Rodgers has some body language issues, but there are worse things in the world. Everybody has pros and cons, and he has a lot of pros to make up for it. But I think it's going too far to expect him to be motivating the defense on top of his offensive duties.

I mean if he can, great, it's icing on the cake. But there should be leaders on the defensive side taking up the slack, I'm sure Rodgers has other things on his mind. I'd rather he stay focused on what the offense can do when they get the ball back.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's Aaron's job NOT to quit in winnable games. It's Aaron's job NOT to LOSE winnable games. As 12 goes so do we.
Ric let's be honest, Rodgers could play the perfect game, and yet if they still lose, you'll find someway to blame it on him. You just don't like that guy for whatever reason.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We aren't talking about Jay Cutler's body language here. Maybe the question would be about if people have a style preference. Would they rather have the Brady style of berating his teammates or Rodgers' midwestern style of passive-aggressive body language?

They are both saying the same thing...."You f'd up and I'm letting you know about it."

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. Someone probably lined up in their "position" for that situation, but failed to realize we needed someone to the other side. Rodgers was the only one to catch it and in the blink of any eye at that.

All the receivers were on that side of the field at the end of the play, and they simply got set as quickly as they could so 12 could spike it. Nobody was out of position, per se; they were all improvising, and 12 simply made a legal formation.

Kudos to Williams, too, for understanding 12's frantic shouting and moving quick.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ric let's be honest, Rodgers could play the perfect game, and yet if they still lose, you'll find someway to blame it on him. You just don't like that guy for whatever reason.

For the first time in his career he played a FULL and complete NFL Quarterback level game in California. He's never done this before...usually for half or more of the game he's a Semi-pro level QB or worse. This was a first for him, let's see him build on it!

D

Deleted member 6794

For the first time in his career he played a FULL and complete NFL Quarterback level game in California. He's never done this before...usually for half or more of the game he's a Semi-pro level QB or worse. This was a first for him, let's see him build on it!

You're wrong, Rodgers completed 21 of 26 passes for 247 yards and four touchdowns for a passer rating of 145.8 at San Diego during the 2011 season.

Overall he played in only nine games before Thursday's contest in California, combining for a passer rating of 96.2 in those games. Hardly as bad as a semi-pro level quarterback.

Last edited by a moderator:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to take a minute to demonstrate an example of a poor attitude, because I feel this will be glossed over. Now imagine if that was Rodgers, some of us here be crucifying him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to take a minute to demonstrate an example of a poor attitude, because I feel this will be glossed over. Now imagine if that was Rodgers, some of us here be crucifying him.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I also heard him in his own voice just a week ago talk about how much trust in the offense and trust in the receivers was something that took time and the trust to be in the right place at the right time was the most important thing in making an offense work. Crazy isn't it?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Moderating:

Referring to posters as “stupid” is bad form. Please get control of your keyboard.

Just want to intercede on behalf of Mr. Carolina.

Calling someone stupid in lower case is basically a compliment coming from him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out how someone can look smug with a mask on.

Is this a joke?

The mask cult has released so much smugness into the atmosphere in the last 6 months that congress is going to have to form a committee to assess how to deal with the global condescension problem.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not quite sure how to take this, I admit, but from my inference:

I am 100% OK with Brady doing this and would be 100% OK with Rodgers doing it too. If you're hyper-competitive-- and you have to be to succeed as these guys do-- then this is how you are going to feel when it goes bad.

What I see is Brady mad at himself. I am pretty sure Rodgers gets just as upset in such situations; he just shows it differently. They hold themselves to a certain standard and it kills them when they don't reach it.

Yes, some here rip Rodgers every chance they get. Fine, I keep scolling. But if he's got a teammate who'd be bothered to see this... well, I wonder how that teammate got to the NFL.