Aaron Rodgers: “It’s Time to Let the Healing Process Begin”

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://packerstalk.com/2013/05/22/aaron-rodgers-its-time-to-let-the-healing-process-begin/

Speaking on the Jim Rome Show, Rodgers came out and said he would like to have Favre back in the Packers family before his induction into the Hall of Fame in 2016, including having his number retired.

“I’m excited about it. I really am. It’s been too long. I think our country and the state of Wisconsin, these people are people of second, third and fourth chances, and I think it’s time to let the healing process begin for those who are still upset about what went down.”
“I was totally OK with being out front of that and I’m very secure of the things I’ve been able to accomplish with the team and individually here in Green Bay, and excited about the chance to see him again and get his number retired here before he goes into Canton.”

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I tend to think a lot of people have gotten over the drama queen and what he did. I also think that Favre is the one holding on to all the beef that HE created, he is the one that needs to let go of the past.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to think a lot of people have gotten over the drama queen and what he did. I also think that Favre is the one holding on to all the beef that HE created, he is the one that needs to let go of the past.

Exactly. If he's expecting the front office to kiss his *** in order for his return, he will be waiting a while.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
f him. it's too early. And nevermind about retiring the jersey. I think it should be used for the backup QBs.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Time to kiss and make up. For 17 years he gave his all playing for the Packers. It's like a divorced couple, at first you can't stand each other, then you adjust and move on. It would be a travesty not to retire his number before his HOF induction.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Ah yes, The Favre, The Anointed One, The Prima-Donna_With-A-Messiah-Complex-Who-Fell-In-Love-With-The-Sound-Of-His-Own-Name.

Read some of Andrew Brandt's articles about The Favre, they're very enlightening:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-difficult-parting-of-Favre-and-the-Packers.html

The Favre, a man who was so used to the front office catering to his every desire he lost his mind when a new GM came in that didn't pay attention to him, and was livid when they wouldn't hire Randy Moss like he wanted them to.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Randys-rant-was-almost-a-Packer-twice.html

The Favre, a petulant child who lost his way and didn't like the fact the new front office didn't kiss his royal a** like he felt he deserved.

The "man" who became a world-wide embarrassment when he became infatuated with a young girl who looked like a younger version of his wife, to the point he sent her pictures of his junk, ("Wanna see my *****?)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Messiah who felt so betrayed that Ted wouldn't kiss his a** that he simply HAD to "stick it to the Pack" by playing with the Vikings, the team that was guilty of tampering (yeah, they let him know he'd be welcome on the Vikings without telling him during their conversations....lol).

Favre is going to have to give Packer Nation some sign he's willing to reconcile, an apology could go a long way in that regard.

He could go even further if he asked for the honorary contract that allowed him to retire as a Packer, that would be a strong sign he wants to reconcile with the fans. (OOPS, too late, he retired as a Viking, so much for that idea...)

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in taking the high road and leaving some of that behind in advocating for a reconciliation. It shows a maturity that Faveerer seemed to lack at times

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Rodgers has ridden this ugly situation as best as one can, and deserves credit for how he has handled it from the start. I'm still a Favre fan. I still think that he turned into a giant idiot. But he didn't **** anyone or kill any dogs. I can deal with him sticking it to the Packers. It was never that big of a deal. Besides, Bishop put a wallop on him during the 2010 game at Lambeau and Favre lost both games that year.

I don't see a need to be as petty as he was in his fued. Take the high road. He was arguably our greatest player during his time in GB.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
When The Messiah deigns to communicate with Mike or Ted we'll know he's ready to apologize for being an a**hat, until then he can stay in Mississippi for all I care.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I already "retired" his jersey, it's displayed on my wall. (It just happened to be accidentally dropped in a fire pit in the process.)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

f him. it's too early. And nevermind about retiring the jersey. I think it should be used for the backup QBs.
regardless of the "OLD" rating, I TOTALLY agree with Volvo on this, I would never forgive the *******, and NEVER retire his number. Old, but true.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Favre taking this as an insult. Rodgers' comments are very well intentioned, but by speaking of second and third chances, Brett is going to take that to mean that he is responsible for the whole fiasco. And Brett's ego is way, way too big to come back under those circumstances, so I doubt this is over.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers is doing the right thing in taking the high road and leaving some of that behind in advocating for a reconciliation. It shows a maturity that Faveerer seemed to lack at times
I think now that he's away from football he realizes how important his legacy in Green Bay is. I don't see him apoligizing for anything...I don't see any real inkling from him that he wants a "reconcilliation"...I do see him starting to do/say the right things to try to get back in the good graces of Packer fans.

Personally, I will never see him as I once did. I don't like the guy, and though I understand that his number deserves to be retired for all the right reasons, but I could care less when it happens.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
If The Favre had ANY inkling of healing the rift he would have retired as a Packer...period.

He didn't, he retired as a Viking. This shows the monumental ego has not diminished.

The ONLY way Favre would ever even consider a return would be if he received the same homage he received from the Vikings. Three supplicants would need to make a pilgrimage to Kiln, bringing praises and humility. They would need to tell him how great he is, how evil Ted is, and how right he was for handling things the way he did.

Once The Favre felt adequately praised, he would deliberate his return. It would require an apology from Ted of course, along with Mike and Murphy. No apology? No return of the Messiah.

These are the terms and they are non-negotiable.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see much significance in Favre retiring as a Viking as most players retire with the last team they played for. Reggie White technically retired as a Carolina Panther.

If you are speaking of a 1 day contract to retire as Packer, that is probably something they could still mutually approach as the 49ers did with Jerry Rice a couple years after he first retired.

I do agree that if Favre is expecting an apology as a term of reconciliation then he is going to be disappointed.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
If The Favre had ANY inkling of healing the rift he would have retired as a Packer...period.

He didn't, he retired as a Viking. This shows the monumental ego has not diminished.

The ONLY way Favre would ever even consider a return would be if he received the same homage he received from the Vikings. Three supplicants would need to make a pilgrimage to Kiln, bringing praises and humility. They would need to tell him how great he is, how evil Ted is, and how right he was for handling things the way he did.

Once The Favre felt adequately praised, he would deliberate his return. It would require an apology from Ted of course, along with Mike and Murphy. No apology? No return of the Messiah.

These are the terms and they are non-negotiable.
This shows you have no idea how the retirement process in the NFL works. When you retire if you are on a team you retire from that team. If no team has rights to you than you just retire. He couldn't retire as a Packer even if he had wanted to. The Vikings would have had to release him, since he was still under contract, and Packers would have had to sign him. And if he did not retire, then people would be all over him for not retiring "officially".

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
This shows you have no idea how the retirement process in the NFL works. When you retire if you are on a team you retire from that team. If no team has rights to you than you just retire. He couldn't retire as a Packer even if he had wanted to. The Vikings would have had to release him, since he was still under contract, and Packers would have had to sign him. And if he did not retire, then people would be all over him for not retiring "officially".

Uh huh. So when The Messiah decided the third time was going to be his last, he tells the Queens he wants a release so he can sign a 1 day contract with the Packers and retire as a Packer. Dorsey Levins did it, so did plenty of other players as it happens all the time.

It's a symbolic gesture that would have gone a long way toward healing the rift between Favre and the fans. Instead he retired as a Viking which is his choice.

Bottom line is everyone is talking about retiring Favre's number, aka forgiving and forgetting, except Favre.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre is a complete diva as much as anyone, but I've never heard of a 1 day contract working like that where a former player with a strained relationship with the team went to the team to ask for a 1 day contract to bury the hatchet. It's almost always a mutual discussion between former player and team, and the door is still open for that possibility.

Also consider that Favre retired right at the same time as the Packers won the Super Bowl. I think anytime that year would have been a really inappropriate time for Favre to inquire about returning to Green Bay. I think it was probably important to Rodgers and others that Favre was not in any way associated with the Packers at that time.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let Farve simmer for a few more years.
He's still not on our good side, has to earn it back.

What a contrast he is/was compared to other former Packers like Reggie White, who retired but played again for Carolina. To Robert Brooks who went to Denver, Edgar Bennett who went to Da Bears, and Donald who retired instead of taking some cash with other teams. Al Harris to Miami, St Louis. Aaron Kampman to Jacksonville.

Or Charles Woodson, who went to Oakland. We all still love all those other guys. Because of the class they showed.

Favre? What a *****.
Don't forget he reached out to Detroit to try and give them some insight on us.

Don't forget what an a-hole he was to Rodgers.
Rodgers may have forgiven him, but that doesn't mean it's forgotten. Again, let some more time go by, without this guy's name coming up again please. Jeez. How many years has it been since he got us or anyone to a Super Bowl again?
15?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Having just read the article, I`m a bit pissed that Aaron seems to be speaking for the organisation in wanting him back in the fold of the Packers. The team is owned by the fans......so ASK the fans. If the majority of shareholders say YES (Which I SERIOUSLY doubt), then do it, if not, its a done deal and we move on. Its evident by this forum alone that the whole Favre things is felt deeply by Packer fans one way or another, to the point of amusing other team fans in conversations I`ve had, IF the majority of fans want him celebrated, I might not be happy with the decision but I`ll accept it although I might have to get my tattoo removed in protest.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let it happen, if the fans aren't ready then Fareverie gets a rude and embarrassing welcome back to Lambeau.

If the fans are ready I'm guessing the welcome back would be luke warm at best.

Either way the fans will be able to let their feelings be known in person.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I think Favre is a complete diva as much as anyone, but I've never heard of a 1 day contract working like that where a former player with a strained relationship with the team went to the team to ask for a 1 day contract to bury the hatchet. It's almost always a mutual discussion between former player and team, and the door is still open for that possibility.
There aren't any other player/team relationships in the same category as Favre/Packers IMHO. It is truly unique. Let's be honest though, MM/TT/MM would have welcomed him taking the one day contract with open arms. It was The Favre who was still carrying the monumental resentment toward the team, (and still is).

The door may be symbolically open for that possibility but in reality it's long closed. The Favre chose to retire as a Viking, that's his prerogative, but it speaks volumes in regard to what he thinks of the team and the fans. Brent made sure when he left that he not only burned the bridge but blew out the foundations as well. I'm in no hurry to see the man back.

Members online

Latest posts