A Svelt Richard Rodgers

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are multiple articles out indicating that Richard Rodgers took his offseason seriously, trimming from the mid-270s in 2015 down to the Packers' mandated 258lbs. If he can stay away from the lineman table at lunch, this should help him gain some yards after the catch. He clearly still has soft mitts, like Bubba Franks, but merely falls down afterward. Hopefully losing weight will be a positive.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think his weight gain last year was due to anything except it was part of the plan to make him better at blocking. It obviously didn't work, and it adversely affected him in the passing game. I don't think it was because he got lazy or anything.

D

Deleted member 6794

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers has been a solid draft pick. His biggest downfall is speed. His weightloss may help with that. Dont expect any dip in his numbers even with Cook in the picture. No reason why RR doesnt put up 500+yds 6Tds. Cook is an athletic big body that would pair perfectly with RR in Redzone packages. Things are looking bright!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Richard Rodgers has been a solid draft pick. His biggest downfall is speed. His weightloss may help with that. Dont expect any dip in his numbers even with Cook in the picture. No reason why RR doesnt put up 500+yds 6Tds. Cook is an athletic big body that would pair perfectly with RR in Redzone packages. Things are looking bright!!

I don't expect Rodgers to put up a lot of yards but he will continue to be a red zone target for #12.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

His numbers were actually pretty damn good last year. Better then many here would gleefully admit to. With Cook in the fold at TE and Jordy comming back there's little reason to think his numbers WON'T dip significantly

D

Deleted member 6794

His numbers were actually pretty damn good last year. Better then many here would gleefully admit to. With Cook in the fold at TE and Jordy comming back there's little reason to think his numbers WON'T dip significantly

Rodgers' number of receptions and touchdowns was pretty good. His average yards per catch was absolutely terrible though.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers should keep an eye on a couple tightends that might not make their current team. First is Bryce Williams from East Carolina currently on the Patriots Roster. The other is Ryan Malleck from Virginia Tech whos playing for Ben McAdoo and the Giants. Both may not make their teams and both have talent worth looking at.

D

Deleted member 6794

The packers should keep an eye on a couple tightends that might not make their current team. First is Bryce Williams from East Carolina currently on the Patriots Roster. The other is Ryan Malleck from Virginia Tech whos playing for Ben McAdoo and the Giants. Both may not make their teams and both have talent worth looking at.

Both Williams and Malleck are slow tight ends who don't excel in blocking. I'd rather prefer to either go with Perillo, Backman or Henry.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Nelson in the mix I think Rich would be an asset more this year than last. He could provide good blocks to provide more yards for our receivers and backs while being open, as well, with opposing teams with their secondary focused on our 'go to' boy Nelson.
As mentioned with the viable threat with Cook and Rich in the red zone for Rod to have more targets. Getting chills thinking about all the opportunity 12 has in the Red Zone. Cook/abby//mont, Nelson, Cobb and Rich. Getting chills just thinking about the red zone threat from our wides and TEs!

Rod is going to be so spoiled this year!

D

Deleted member 6794

With Nelson in the mix I think Rich would be an asset more this year than last. He could provide good blocks to provide more yards for our receivers and backs while being open, as well, with opposing teams with their secondary focused on our 'go to' boy Nelson.

Rodgers is a below average blocker so I wouldn't expect too much out of him in that area.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a below average blocker so I wouldn't expect too much out of him in that area.

it did sound good, huh? guess depends if he does strength conditioning that helps his mobility and power to do what he needs to to improve on his blocking.

What i'm excited though is Rich can now take advantage of the weakness our wides will cause to the secondaries. And if he does improve on speed and shows that he is a threat this year D coordinators will have a hard time adjusting their secondary to our wides with Rodgers behind the rifle!

As for blocking how do you think our new FB will do?

D

Deleted member 6794

it did sound good, huh? guess depends if he does strength conditioning that helps his mobility and power to do what he needs to to improve on his blocking.

What i'm excited though is Rich can now take advantage of the weakness our wides will cause to the secondaries. And if he does improve on speed and shows that he is a threat this year D coordinators will have a hard time adjusting their secondary to our wides with Rodgers behind the rifle!

According to several reports Richard Rodgers has lost some weight this offseason, therefore I don't expect him to improve as a blocker.

Hopefully he will be faster than last season though and increase his yards after the catch. It's probable he will be less snaps than in 2015 because of Cook being on the roster though.

Ripkowski has the physicality to turn into a decent lead blocker but I'm not sure about his knowledge of the offense. The Packers used a fullback on less than 30% of the snaps last season and with Kuhn gone this number will decrease even further.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If you want to see Rip lead block watch some of his Oklahoma tape. That will answer your question.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Williams and Malleck are slow tight ends who don't excel in blocking. I'd rather prefer to either go with Perillo, Backman or Henry.
You dont need to have blazing speed to be an effective TE catching the ball. Look at Jason Witten. As a big bodied pass catcher you are more effective using that big body to sort of box out defender, plus you need to be able to catch difficult and simple balls. Both Bryce Williams and Ryan Malleck can do that.

D

Deleted member 6794

You dont need to have blazing speed to be an effective TE catching the ball. Look at Jason Witten. As a big bodied pass catcher you are more effective using that big body to sort of box out defender, plus you need to be able to catch difficult and simple balls. Both Bryce Williams and Ryan Malleck can do that.

Richard Rodgers already fills that role. I'd rather have another athletic tight end or one that excels in blocking on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

That is true. So who do you think would be the better #3 TE Perillo, or Backman? And why?

Backman is more athletic than Perillo but ended up behind him on the depth chart last season because the coaching staff didn't think he fully grasped the playbook. With that being said I expect Backman to grab the third spot as long as he has significantly improved his knowledge of the offense.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the same will happen. But i cant help cheering for Perillo. Plus Perillo deserves 1 shot at least. Hes shown he can get open and has above average hands. Backman may be faster and more athletic. But Perillo has proven hands over the middle and being only 5lbs heavier Perillo plays alot bigger.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the same will happen. But i cant help cheering for Perillo. Plus Perillo deserves 1 shot at least. Hes shown he can get open and has above average hands. Backman may be faster and more athletic. But Perillo has proven hands over the middle and being only 5lbs heavier Perillo plays alot bigger.

Backman has to significantly improve his knowledge of the offense to move up on the depth chart. As we've seen with Janis it's far from a sure thing that has happened by now. Perillo is mostly an average tight end who has great hands and is a hard worker.

In my opinion Backman has a higher ceiling if he's ever able to fully utilize his potential.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
checked out camp updates and it mentions Cobb and Abby gained some weight. Good for Abby to take hits but for Cobb it could slow him down.

D

Deleted member 6794

checked out camp updates and it mentions Cobb and Abby gained some weight. Good for Abby to take hits but for Cobb it could slow him down.

Cobb is three pounds heavier than at the same time last year and tends to lose some weight during the season. No reason to be worried.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is three pounds heavier than at the same time last year and tends to lose some weight during the season. No reason to be worried.

Yeah a lot of guys do that, hard to keep up muscle mass in season when you're taking a pounding week in and week out.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think his weight gain last year was due to anything except it was part of the plan to make him better at blocking. It obviously didn't work, and it adversely affected him in the passing game. I don't think it was because he got lazy or anything.

Aye, but part of blocking is actually making contact with your man before he blows past you.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3lbs? Hell I can gain more from drinking beer in one sitting. I suppose that update should be taken with a grain of salt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts