A little love for Mason Crosby?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If you seriously wonder, I'd say the answer is in the relativity. The bold in your first paragraph is the key. Looking at the various ways of evaluating contracts, Crosby seems to be in the 5-7 range, but dropping him down to the average ranking of 16th saves somewhere between one and 1 1/2 mil. Certainly would be better to have that available than not, but overpaying for average players at other positions can cost way more than that in absolute, not relative, terms.

Not to mention that each new K you sign adds to the total amount you spent on the position, reducing this supposed savings. Even worse, if you are replacing said kicker, I have to assume it was because he failed at his job. How many Wins does this revolving door of trying out and paying kickers cost you?

How much is a Win worth? Regular season win VS Playoff win? If we have a kicker that wins us 1-3 games per year that a tryout kicker might have lost, sign me up for paying said kicker that "extra $2-3M", or the cost of carrying a Geronimo Allison type player.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can mods put people on ignore? Kinda seems like it defeats the purpose of moderating a forum if you can't see all the posts.
Hell yeah I do..well only one

Other mods can still see those post and they know he is on ignore. We do have more than one mod lol

Sometimes people will message me to alert something...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I always say, mods are people too, just barely, but they qualify. Sometimes an ignore feature would probably be beneficial for that last shred of sanity they have left. They don't need to see everything, just the things that are reported really and if things are getting out of control they can probably tell from responses what is going on even if they can't see a poster or 2's posts. It's funny reading posts, but you can't see the quotes and you know exactly who is saying what anyway LOL. I'm sure I fit that category too sometimes, but hey, it's fun.
Lol at “just barely”

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell yeah I do..well only one

Other mods can still see those post and they know he is on ignore. We do have more than one mod lol

Sometimes people will message me to alert something...

But we can't ignore mods right? Not saying anything, just an observation.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you seriously wonder, I'd say the answer is in the relativity. The bold in your first paragraph is the key. Looking at the various ways of evaluating contracts, Crosby seems to be in the 5-7 range, but dropping him down to the average ranking of 16th saves somewhere between one and 1 1/2 mil. Certainly would be better to have that available than not, but overpaying for average players at other positions can cost way more than that in absolute, not relative, terms.

Just take this season as an example, the Packers could have saved $3.4 million of cap space by replacing Crosby with Blankenship. That would have paid for more than half of Fuller's salary if acquired at the deadline.

While that would have most likely resulted in a drop-off in performance at kicker having a legit #2 receiver next to Adams would definitely have helped more overall.

Not to mention that each new K you sign adds to the total amount you spent on the position, reducing this supposed savings. Even worse, if you are replacing said kicker, I have to assume it was because he failed at his job. How many Wins does this revolving door of trying out and paying kickers cost you?

Once again, as long as the Packers don't pay those kickers a signing bonus they don't lose any cap space replacing them either.

When solely looking at field goals Crosby had an effect on the result of a single game this season. And it would have been good enough to make one of three kicks at New Orleans to result in a win for the Packers.

It seems a lot of fans overestimate the value of a kicker around here.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Just take this season as an example, the Packers could have saved $3.4 million of cap space by replacing Crosby with Blankenship. That would have paid for more than half of Fuller's salary if acquired at the deadline.

While that would have most likely resulted in a drop-off in performance at kicker having a legit #2 receiver next to Adams would definitely have helped more overall.

Once again, as long as the Packers don't pay those kickers a signing bonus they don't lose any cap space replacing them either.

When solely looking at field goals Crosby had an effect on the result of a single game this season. And it would have been good enough to make one of three kicks at New Orleans to result in a win for the Packers.

If you`re down by two in the last seconds and you`re in their half, a good kicker makes all the difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, because all those missed kicks we see by other kickers, have no bearing on the games or their short lived careers. :roflmao:

You are really over simplifying the importance of a Kicker by solely inserting cherry picked Stats. As well as assuming you as a GM would actually pick the right UDFA K to go with and you and I both know how that worked out. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, because all those missed kicks we see by other kickers, have no bearing on the games or their short lived careers. :roflmao:

There have been a total of 92 missed field goals so far this season with only 14 of them possibly having changed the result of a game. That's a fairly low number to justify paying someone several millions a year.

You are really over simplifying the importance of a Kicker by solely inserting cherry picked Stats. As well as assuming you as a GM would actually pick the right UDFA K to go with and you and I both know how that worked out. ;)

Come on, I'm not cherry picking stats on Crosby by any means. Every number I have posted (some after being asked by his supporters) suggest he has been average at best over his career. All of you just decided to ignore those facts.

In addition while our bet is all fun and games you're definitely aware that with me not being even able to talk to any kickers that I don't have anywhere close to the same knowledge to make an educated decision on a replacement for Crosby.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

They had the money and still didn't trade for Fuller. What does Crosby's salary have to do with it? Trying to infer that the Packers can't field a better team because of Crosby's salary is a really weak way to approach this, if you want my opinion. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

They had the money and still didn't trade for Fuller. What does Crosby's salary have to do with it? Trying to infer that the Packers can't field a better team because of Crosby's salary is a really weak way to approach this, if you want my opinion. ;)

It's pretty obvious that if the Packers saved $3.4 million of cap space while using a different kicker they could use that money to improve the rest of the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In addition while our bet is all fun and games you're definitely aware that with me not being even able to talk to any kickers that I don't have anywhere close to the same knowledge to make an educated decision on a replacement for Crosby.

I understand that. However, by the revolving doors we see some teams have every year when it comes to Kickers, your abilities to pick a winner seem right on par with many of the GM's too.

Your whole theory revolves around money and performance. You think that if you invest the minimum amount into a K, you will see virtually no difference in results. As well as somehow you will use this big savings to improve the team more in other areas.

That situation occurs less than once a season on average for each time. That doesn't justify paying a kicker several millions a year.

So a playoff win isn't worth a few Million $$'s ? Then you add in all the other games that your K put points on the board via FG's or XP's that a scab kicker might not have, and those points end up being the difference in the final score of the game.

Do you think the ability of your K affects the confidence in your team and their decisions on offense?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that if the Packers saved $3.4 million of cap space while using a different kicker they could use that money to improve the rest of the roster.

How? Tell me what that $3.4 M buys you and how that improves the team over not having as reliable of a K as Crosby.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can we even guarntee packers use that extra for anything?

Nope and basically my point. $3.4 M represents 1.71% of the Packers total cap. I extremely doubt that using that on Crosby handicaps the Packers in signing another player.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that. However, by the revolving doors we see some teams have every year when it comes to Kickers, your abilities to pick a winner seem right on par with many of the GM's too.

Your whole theory revolves around money and performance. You think that if you invest the minimum amount into a K, you will see virtually no difference in results. As well as somehow you will use this big savings to improve the team more in other areas.
Didn't DullAss do the minimum wage kicker thing for a few years a decade or so back? I don't recall how that worked out for them.

Staff online

Latest posts