a 5th rounder

D

Deleted member 6794

True, the Packers have received the 184th overall pick at the end of the fifth round as compensation for losing Hayward last offseason. As a reminder teams are allowed to trade those picks for the first time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
True, the Packers have received the 184th overall pick at the end of the fifth round as compensation for losing Hayward last offseason. As a reminder teams are allowed to trade those picks for the first time.

Think the Chargers would trade Hayward back for the pick? ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

I would have thought losing an eventual Pro Bowler might have netted us one of those third rounders, at least a 4th.

The Packers only received a fifth rounder because Hayward signed a pretty moderate contract with the Chargers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers only received a fifth rounder because Hayward signed a pretty moderate contract with the Chargers.

A really good point to make and I am sure one TT keeps in mind in his decisions to resign. A guy like Perry is going to net a higher compensatory pick than Lacy, given the contracts they would be offered by other teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

A really good point to make and I am sure one TT keeps in mind in his decisions to resign. A guy like Perry is going to net a higher compensatory pick than Lacy, given the contracts they would be offered by other teams.

Thompson has to finally stop worrying about compensatory picks down the road but improve the team for next season.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping for a 4th, but had a feeling it would only be a 5th. I don't think much else matters outside of contract money despite what they say about how it's all factored.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Fun fact: Thompson has never spent a draft pick on a long snapper.

He did, however, find Hyde and Linsley in that round. What a moron!

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson has already signed a long snapper this offseason in Taybor Pepper who played for Michigan State from 2012-15 though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He did, however, find Hyde and Linsley in that round. What a moron!

Don't forget other 5th round gems:

Coston
Hawkins
Martin
Moll
Clowney
Giacomini
Johnson
Meredith
Newhouse
Quarless
Williams
Manning
Boyd
Abbrederis
Hundley
Davis

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Don't forget other 5th round gems:

Coston
Hawkins
Martin
Moll
Clowney
Giacomini
Johnson
Meredith
Newhouse
Quarless
Williams
Manning
Boyd
Abbrederis
Hundley
Davis

As opposed to all the other teams that find all pros in the 5th on the regular.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, as opposed to folks touting TT because of the two guys he did draft there. Cherry-picking vs. "a blind pig".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Corey Linsley, Micah Hyde, Dorsey Levins, Aaron Kampman and KGB were 5th rounders, once in awhile you get lucky.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't argue with that. My point was just picking Linsley and Hyde from the TT era was leaving the bulk of the picks out of the discussion. Plenty of guys picked even later turned out well, but most are the expceptions proving the rule.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey Linsley, Micah Hyde, Dorsey Levins, Aaron Kampman and KGB were 5th rounders, once in awhile you get lucky.

Most of the time you end up with not much or nothing. But there are good players to be had there. IMO, the true test of a GM's draft ability is how well he doe in the later rounds, not the early ones.

D

Deleted member 6794

Most of the time you end up with not much or nothing. But there are good players to be had there. IMO, the true test of a GM's draft ability is how well he doe in the later rounds, not the early ones.

I guess Thompson has been pretty effective after the first three rounds of the draft compared to a lot of general managers but unfortunately has had several misses with his early selections.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The way he runs the show he has to draft just about perfectly and in recent years he has fallen quite short of that.

If "Draft and Develop" is basically your whole program it only works if you draft extemly well. Meaning there wont be anything to "develop". Further meaning the "development" of the worse pass defense in the NFL.

Someone please take the dice away from this guy. Give someone else a shot at it.

OP
OP
M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're so shortsighted it probably doesn't even pay to respond. 2011 or so was a not so good draft, but what isn't to like about is "recent years" you think Lacy, BahkT and Hyde were a bad draft? I know lacy seems lazy, everyone on earth so why he was drafted and what he can do. and if Datone wasn't so damn inconsistent that draft would have been bordering on great. BUt as it stands, just a franchise left tackle makes it pretty dang good.

you think a draft that gets you Ha Ha, a sure handed TE, Adams and your starting center is falling short? just WTF are you're expectations? It's way too early to say anything about 2015 and we all saw the 1st two picks play much better as rookies than they did as injured 2nd year players. Maybe they don't make it, maybe they end up pretty good. Jury is still out. Not in your mind I realize, but Shields, Tramon and Collins didn't look like the players they became until years 3 and 4. If R and R look the same next year I'll be worried. But besides them they got Ripkowski, Montgomery and a starting ILB in Ryan. Again, what are your expectations in a draft? already 3 bonafide NFL players paying dividends and most likely at least 1 more, as I fully expect either randall or Rollins to bounce back strong. What happens to this draft class if it's both?

if it's too early to draw conclusions from 2015, it's definitely too early to draw conclusions from last years, though I'd say Clark is going to get much better. he's still younger than most of the guys available in THIS years draft and he was flashing already at the end of last year. Spriggs looks the part, Lowery came on better near the end and should at the very least be a good rotation guy. Martinez had some good and bad, but i think mostly did at least an average job stepping in as a rookie starter before injuries kind of derailed his season. Lots left to be determined out of this draft though.

so since Ted is falling short, what's a good draft in your eyes? 4 rookie all pro's? and then point me to the GM that's doing that every year LOL

D

Deleted member 6794

Spriggs looks the part, Lowery came on better near the end and should at the very least be a good rotation guy.

so since Ted is falling short, what's a good draft in your eyes? 4 rookie all pro's? and then point me to the GM that's doing that every year LOL

I agree that it's way too early to fairly evaluate the 2016 draft class but Barclay leapfrogging Spriggs on the depth chart before the NFCCG isn't a promising sign, especially as Thompson gave up three picks to select him.

Overall TT has drafted extremely well over his tenure with the Packers but over the past few years hasn't been any better in that area than other contenders. Unfortunately with his reluctancy to use any other method to improve the roster that isn't a recipe for the ultimate success.

Latest posts