96 vs 11 and Freemans comments

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever tackle you had lined up against Reggie would get eaten alive. Aaron would be running for his life. Even clifton on his best day couldnt stop a motivated Reggie White.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Reggie would get to Rodgers at least twice probably, but Rodgers release it just too quick to be affected. don't forget last years defense was a great great defense, I think they would win the game ultimately.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would just side step Reggie and hit Jennings who would run past the flat footed Butler and the slow Eugene Robinson. Who would cover Finley? Butler? As much as I hate to admit it, Favre would keep it close - as we would have no pass rush. In addition, McCarthy would allow the '96 team to stay in the game by not stepping on their necks with the no huddle offense - with those aging veterans gasping for breathe like Amish draft horses. Yes, McCarthy would turn to huddling up and running Starks, and Kuhn to protect the lead. The Grave Digger would be stuffing, shaking, and digging. Favre would lead a comeback on the last drive, but in all too memorable fashion, would throw a duck trying to hit Rison, and Woodson would pick it to seal the Victory.

Final score 2011 Team 31, 1996 Team 28

And yes Ivo, Crosby nails one down the middle from 53 yards out...

Packers_89

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the 96 team as I would have been 6-7 years old and wasn't into football then. But the 2011 team would win just because I say so.

Also Rodgers is less likely to throw a INT than BrINT. Even in his prime years.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The '96 defense was loaded. The d-line had in addition to Reggie... Santana Dotson, Sean Jones and Gilbert Brown. All four were superior to the current d-line. The linebackers were solid anchored by Koonce and the d-backs were a grat group. What they lacked in speed they more than made up in experience and physicality. Butler, Robinson, Evans and Newsome were collectively the best group in the league at that time. The defensive line would cause alot of problems for Rodgers and the running game. As for the other side, Favre was at his best during that era and the reciving corps was very gifted with Freeman, Brooks, Jackson, Chmura. But the one are that is most overlooked on the '96 team was the offensive line. Probably the best o-line ever assembled in Packers history with the exception of the 1960's dynasty. Aaron Taylor, Frank White, Gary Timmerman, Earl Dotson and John Michels would have more than held their own aginst the current Packers' defense.

I would give a slight edge to the 1996 team 27-24.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah 96 team wins a close one. Gilbert brown and Reggie White would have a field day with the '11 O-line.
Rodgers and Jennings keep the it close but Chris Jacke hit game winning field goal as time expires.

96 Packers 24
'11 Packers 21

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers would just side step Reggie and hit Jennings who would run past the flat footed Butler and the slow Eugene Robinson. Who would cover Finley? Butler? As much as I hate to admit it, Favre would keep it close - as we would have no pass rush. In addition, McCarthy would allow the '96 team to stay in the game by not stepping on their necks with the no huddle offense - with those aging veterans gasping for breathe like Amish draft horses. Yes, McCarthy would turn to huddling up and running Starks, and Kuhn to protect the lead. The Grave Digger would be stuffing, shaking, and digging. Favre would lead a comeback on the last drive, but in all too memorable fashion, would throw a duck trying to hit Rison, and Woodson would pick it to seal the Victory.

Final score 2011 Team 31, 1996 Team 28

And yes Ivo, Crosby nails one down the middle from 53 yards out...

No way he just side steps him. How you going to side step a body being thrown at you?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Its not crosby from 53 I worry about, its crosby from 35 I worry about.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now has got to be the worst time to sic Reggie White on Aaron Rodgers with our Oline being weak at tackle. I still think the '11 Packer offense can score on the '96 Packer defense. However, lets switch gears for a minute and think about Favre and the '96 offense against the '11 defense. If with the current D's "problems," I still have visions of Matthews and Raji racking up 6 sacks between the two of them, and Woodson taking it to the house 3 times.

It would be a good matchup, but it's hard for me to imagine these two teams playing each other because I love them both. Reggies's '96 team, I will love for all of time, but this current team is close in my heart. It's kind of like imagining two people, (teams) that you love most in the world dueling. It hurts to think of it, but interesting to imagine.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about the '11 team being at it's best (defense) and healthy? That could change things. Also, what of the two most recent SB teams going head to head. The '10 team Vs. '96.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now has got to be the worst time to sic Reggie White on Aaron Rodgers with our Oline being weak at tackle. I still think the '11 Packer offense can score on the '96 Packer defense. However, lets switch gears for a minute and think about Favre and the '96 offense against the '11 defense. If with the current D's "problems," I still have visions of Matthews and Raji racking up 6 sacks between the two of them, and Woodson taking it to the house 3 times.

I have to respectfully disagree, we can't write off Brett Favre that easy. In the 96 season Brett had 39 TD passes to only 13 Ints, and he was in the middle of his 3 MVP consecutive MVP season (1995-1997) That stat alone is mind blowing! Throw in Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Don Beebe, Robert Brooks, Antonio Freeman, Andre Rison, Desmond Howard, Mark Chmura. The 96 team would give the '11 team all it could handle.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
But the one are that is most overlooked on the '96 team was the offensive line. Probably the best o-line ever assembled in Packers history with the exception of the 1960's dynasty. Aaron Taylor, Frank White, Gary Timmerman, Earl Dotson and John Michels would have more than held their own aginst the current Packers' defense.
Yes, so overlooked that some Packers fans don’t remember their names. Frank Winters was the center and Adam Timmerman was the OG. BTW, I’ll be kind and just say John Michels was not good, even before he got injured. He was a reach in the first round by Wolf as he attempted to replace the very good LT Ken Ruettgers, who was playing his last season in ‘96. Michels qualifies as one of Wolf's first round busts. Journeyman Bruce Wilkerson came in to save the day at LT. IMO the Packers OL from 2003 rivaled the ’96 line and was better run blocking.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't there been another thread with this same subject? I know that the software isn't showing pre-existing threads, but I remember discussing this, and with you Ivo.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Sorry but that 96 defense was loaded, and I don't know if the o-line on the '11 team would be able to stop the pass rush

and sure Favre throws picks, but back in 1996, that was his prime time.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't there been another thread with this same subject? I know that the software isn't showing pre-existing threads, but I remember discussing this, and with you Ivo.

There have been a few threads that I can recall that compare and contrast the '96 team with the '10 team or '11 team. There was also one on which team you thought was stronger/ better. It's an interesting topic.

One difference between the two teams is the '11 team has a really good chance of defending the Championship, while the '96 team did not.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There have been a few threads that I can recall that compare and contrast the '96 team with the '10 team or '11 team. There was also one on which team you thought was stronger/ better. It's an interesting topic.

One difference between the two teams is the '11 team has a really good chance of defending the Championship, while the '96 team did not.
The 96' team did not have a chance or did not defend?

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this is what our season has come to... no contenders this year so we compare Pack on Pack! hahah... love it

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe we discussed 2010 vs 96, but I just liked Freemans comments and thought it was worth a thread.

Members online

Latest posts