49ers: Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
This is an on going battle between their fan base.

Over on bleacher report I've seen a million articles on how Alex is the second coming of Steve Young, and how we're all wrong to call him a bust.

Most 49er fans I have met, and know, they tell me he IS a bust, and they should have already gave up on him.

Now as another season rolls by, I am stuck laughing that Jim Harbaugh made his first red flag by resigning the bust that they took over Rodgers.

Sure Aaron had Favre to learn from while he sat on the bench.

And Alex had Mike Martz bench his *** for Shaun Hill, which was a slight improvement, and he still puts up better numbers than Smith.

They say Harbaugh "knows quarterbacks" so why didn't he find anyone that don't throw picks and force the ball around like Alex?

So I sit back and have to wonder....How many games will the losers be dropping this season?

I bet anything the Niners won't even win 6 games this year.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously, discussions like these make me scratch my head and wonder about people. It's a stupid discussion, and a waste of everyone's time.

For starters, Fraud was never a mentor to Rodgers. Yeah, Rodgers sat and watched and took notes, but as anyone trying something new for the first time will tell you, taking notes isn't nearly as effective as actual, hands-on experience.

For a myriad of reasons Rodgers is the much better QB. You can say it's because he did this opportunity, or that opportunity, but the fact is, in all his years of starting, Smith has never come close to putting up the kinds of numbers Rodgers has. Oh, and one is a Superbowl MVP. The other hasn't even made the playoffs.

I'll readily admit Smith hasn't been in the ideal situation throughout much of his career. His first four years in the league yielded 4 different offensive coordinators, which means 4 different schemes. The talent around him has been mediocre at best as well. However, you'd think that much experience would yield better results at some point. So far it hasn't.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harbaugh's a smart guy. Keep Smith b/c he "believes in him" when in reality, he just wants to reunite with his college QB phenom.

Watch for Harbaugh to do some dumb playcalling this season.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not sure if Rodgers would have been successful if he would have been drafted to SF. His first year in GB was terrible by almost all accounts.

Now would have Alex Smith been successful in GB? Not a clue on that one.

But as far as any comparisons between the two today are insane. Rodgers might be the best player in the league. Alex Smith is taking pay cuts and battling for roster spots.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith was not treated correctly. Green Bay is a much better orginization. Smith might be close to Rodgers aptitude if he would have came to Green Bay. Rodgers sat for 3 seasons behind(hate him or not) a real pro.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith was not treated correctly. Green Bay is a much better orginization. Smith might be close to Rodgers aptitude if he would have came to Green Bay. Rodgers sat for 3 seasons behind(hate him or not) a real pro.

Is it too late? We should resign Flynn and trade for Alex Smith plus w/e round draft picks, develop him, and retrade. It's like flipping a house! hahaha No one has as good of a developmental program as us.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
McCarthy, who was on the SF staff when they drafted Smith has said they viewed him as the more athletic QB of the two. Fast forward to today and Rodgers is now one the most dangerous running QBs. What separates Rodgers IMO from almost every other QB is his accuracy. Watch that third and ten Super Bowl pass to Jennings with about 6 minutes left. During the pre season game at Indy they showed a replay of that play from the end zone camera angle. Rodgers could barely see Jennings because the coverage was so good but the pass was perfectly thrown. And in that pre season game, the pass to Finley was similar.

Favre explicitly said it wasn’t his job to mentor Rodgers. He was pissed Thompson drafted Rodgers and wasn’t mature enough not to let that affect how he treated Aaron during his first season in Green Bay. Rodgers developed because of his own determination, Tom Clements (who is often overlooked), and Mike McCarthy. Of course he watched Favre but IMO its clear in addition to learning positive lessons; he learned a lot of things not to do both on the field and as leader.

tenplay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smith was a product of Urban Meyer's successful college system and built his rep against poor teams like New Mexico, Colorado St., and UNLV. Rogers excelled in the Pac 10 and even completed 24 straight passes against top-ranked USC. The 49ers were idiots in taking Smith over Rogers, who would have brought a huge local fan base over from across the Bay. Rogers has IT and Smith doesn't. The 49ers karma has been miserable largely because of one moronic bad choice. I don't know why Harbaugh decided to try Smith again. It's like taking the sour milk out of the fridge again to see if it improved overnight. The 49ers will be lucky to win 3-4 games this year.

OP
OP
Bogart

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Smith was a product of Urban Meyer's successful college system and built his rep against poor teams like New Mexico, Colorado St., and UNLV. Rogers excelled in the Pac 10 and even completed 24 straight passes against top-ranked USC. The 49ers were idiots in taking Smith over Rogers, who would have brought a huge local fan base over from across the Bay. Rogers has IT and Smith doesn't. The 49ers karma has been miserable largely because of one moronic bad choice. I don't know why Harbaugh decided to try Smith again. It's like taking the sour milk out of the fridge again to see if it improved overnight. The 49ers will be lucky to win 3-4 games this year.

Can't say it any better.

And yeah, I used the "He learned from Favre" as a reference. That's what I always have thrown in my face on other sites when I compare the bust to the defending Super Bowl MVP, so chill out guys.

Even Saints fans didn't offer so many excuses for Reggie Bush, but heaven falls down when someone says the truth about Alex Smith over on ESPN, or another site.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, it wasnt Favre's job to mentor Rodgers. It also wasn't his job to try and comment on GM duties like acquiring players, salaries, ect.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Alex Smith has had an issue with learning a new offense every year and a new offensive coordinator every year as well.

Members online

Latest posts