1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Mar 20, 2013.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    Which would you rather see drafted? We can all agree that since we lost Jenkins we have bsaically seen a huge drop off and production from that spot. We ply musical chairs but i'd rather see one guy stay on the field all three downs like Jenkins was able to do.

as far as Olb? one could say Perry needs his shot because he was a first round pick but he was injured alot last year and we basicaly played musical chairs at that spot to. I'm all for giving Perry a shot to start but not if he gets outplayed by a rookie in the preseason..he then becomes a situational player.

Altho he's not the typical 3-4 D-end Bjoerne Werner could be our JJ Watt. Relentless, relentless, relentless..remind you of anybody else on our defense?

OLB Dion Jordan and Clay Matthews together could give us a dynamic pass rushing Duo for years to come. You don't pass on jordan if he's still on the board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    DE. But would grab best player available most likely

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    Perry's season was ended by a knee injury in Week 6. I don't really think that validly constitutes him being "injured a lot" as that phrasing implies that he was injured frequently, a multitude of times. So end state on all of that, I'm OK with him getting another shot at being an every down starter.
    Because of that I'd much rather see a DE drafted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009

You mean on the defensive side of the ball..or best on either side?

5. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    We need both Tweedle dee and Tweedle dum.

6. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009

He had a bum wrist to which caused him some issues but maybe labeling him often injured is unfair haha. I'd like a good d-end but he'd have to be able to eat up blockers and have burst to get to the qb. I fear that guy will be gone by the time we pick. Ugh i can't blieve TT passed on Ngata.:tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  7. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009

You get either Tweedle Dee or Tweedle Dum..not bot haha.

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,375
    Perry went out with a wrist injury, not a knee, which hardly threatens his 2013 season. You might be thinking of Worthy.

Perry will be starting; he'll have to play himself out of a job. I can't see TT going high for an OLB unless and until Perry proves he's not up to the task. Even if he's "just OK" and does not live up to first round potential he'll still play on his cheap rookie contract.

As for the OP, Werner's not big enough to play 3-4 end. They're either a big body NT hybrid holding the edge or what would otherwise be a DT but with length and reach. By the by, not pertinent to the Packers, Werner worked out in LB drills at his Pro Day to some favorable reviews...he's far more likely a 3-4 OLB than a 3-4 DE...but we already covered that and he'll likely be taken above #26 anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +375
    No; I was thinking about Perry, his Wikipedia page was just incorrect.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,375
    What we can't have is Tweedle Bum.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,009
    Yes, we don't need another justin Harrell.

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,077
    Best on either side with an exception to QB. I would be hesitant to take another tackle though. But that's only bc I don't know how they feel about our prospects this year.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,375
    It's easy to get confused on this. Perry was reported at one point to have had a knee issue of some sort. Then he went on IR after week 6 with the wrist injury reported as having dated back to week 1. Then he had surgery on the wrist.

So I'm going with "wrist"... surgery breaks the tie, if there was one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    How about a NT, give Raji a few snaps off and allow the Packers to move Raji to DE at times to help against the run. Pickett could also use a few less snap. I would be all for drafting both a NT and DE maybe in the 1st and 2nd round. I think we still need to see what we have in Perry and Moses or that matter both are going into year two when the most improvement usually occurs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    OLB is the more important position of the two, but DE is more important for the first round pick. Why? Because there would seem to be a significant chance we already have the solution there in Perry. If the Packers staff doesn't still think so, then get an OLB. The other reason is that what we currently have at DE is woefully inadequate. Neal on downward - mediocre at best, a mess at worst.

16. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Werner is not a 3-4 end can't fit a square beg into a round hole. Werner is 6-3 266. That is the size of our OLB's Perry is 6-3 265, Matthew is 6-3 255.

The consensous top 2 3-4 DE in the league are JJ Watt 6-5, 295 and Haloti Ngata 6-4, 330, very different body types from Werner

Here are the top 5 3-4 DE's according to Mike Mayock (I think he is the best draft expert in the biz)
    1. Star Lotulelei, Utah
    2. Margus Hunt, SMU
    3. Datone Jones, UCLA
    4. Jesse Williams, Alabama
    5. William Gholston, Michigan State

Albiet Hunt, Jones and Gholston would have to add some weight.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,375
    Raji gets snaps at DE from time to time. Quite a bit actually in early 2011. He has been effective there.

This draft is thin in prototype 3-4 DEs (length/reach) if we're talking about a high pick for 2013 productivity. Heck, Gil Brandt commented after Datone Jones' Pro Day that consensus is building for him as a 4-3 DE. What does that leave? A first round reach for Margus Hunt who's also generally pegged for 4-3? The talent is not there this year. I'd take a shot at the 26 year old Hunt in the second round, but I doubt he'll be on the board when our turn comes.

More likely we might see a NT/3-4 DE hybrid type taken high...the draft is deeper in this type of player. It would be more of a plan-ahead-to-2014 pick...Pickett is in the last year of his deal and Raji will be a FA after 2014.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. J Mills

J Mills Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +12
    Barring a player like Jarvis Jones or Star Lotulelei sliding. I would be OK with a combination of Jon Jenkins and Jessie Williams in the 1st round and 2nd rounds. Grab both a 3-4 DE and a true NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CHIpackFAN

CHIpackFAN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    I think TT is going to totally go against the grain this year in the draft. I know we are all hoping that he drafts a good DE or OLB or S. I really can't see him drafting a lot of Defensive players, he did that last year. We still have a young D. We have Mcmillian, burnett, dj smith, raji, daniels, hayward, clay, perry, house, moses, neal, manning, shields, M.D jennings. That is a lot of young guys. So, I say all of this to say that I believe that TT may draft one or two defensive guys and the rest will be offensive guys. I think he will pick up a nice RB to go with harris, a few OL and another good reciever. Another way he could possibly go is trading away some picks to move up in different spots to grab some top players that are ready to contribute right away. Thoughts????

20. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    I agree, he'll trade his whole draft to move up to about #5 and get Geno. He'll tell Rodgers to get his big fat paycheck from someone else. He then takes MM & the guys out for a walleye tournament. On Monday after the draft he reports to the psych ward for evaluation. On Wed Packers announce his retirement for "health" reasons.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Remember 2009.
    At this point in time in 2009, Matthews was a 2nd or 3rd Rd prospect who didn't even start a full season at USC.
    Even on Draft Day, he was considered by most to be a "reach" as a first Rd pick. I know for a fact most Packer fans wanted other OLB's instead of him that year.

Margus Hunt may also be considered a "reach" by most of us.

But do not for a moment think that Teddy won't grab him at #26 if he likes him. He will take a guy higher than most have him if he wants him. Justin Harrell, Mike Neal, Alex Green, James Jones are 4 others I can think of. Jerron McMillian too.... he was a "who the hell is he" pick last year.

Hunt has plenty of room to easily add 10-20 Lbs of pure muscle. He hasn't bulked up yet at all.
    There's only one JJ Watt. But this guy could follow a very similar path based on his ability shown so far.... remember he just started playing this game in 2009. He's had games where he dominated, like their bowl game, vs Johnny Football and Texas A&M this year [​IMG] <HOLDING , and Fresno State.

Here is a GREAT PIECE on Hunt to digest.

Here are a few things on MARGUS HUNT to chew on:

6' 8"
    4.62 at the combine
    38 Bench
    34 1/2 vertical
    7.07 3-cone
    4.51 shuttle

Most signs point to this guy being Teddy's pick at #26, if he's still there.
    You draft on what you think they'll be in the NFL, not what they were in college.
    This guy has special potential.

22. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
  23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,375
    I consider Hunt a reach at #26 only because he'll be 26 years old at week 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    HELL NO. Hunt is 26, is absolutely ignorant of the word leverage, and disappeared against mediocre talent. Looks like Tarzan, plays like a monkey. He has a strong T&F background, so of course his combine was good. His SeniorBowl was far more telling. Wouldn't touch the shotputter with a stick before the 3rd, the guy has BUST written all over him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    There's no need to be so hard on Margus Hunt's agent.