29th pick.. Eric stokes db

Reaction score
I thought I was poor at staying on topic!

I’m about ready to get off the focus medication and jump in with y’all :coffee:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That whole 2020 draft was pretty much a waste. Maybe it will cost Gluten hiss job now, although I doubt it.
Yeah that 2005 draft was a real burner. A backup QB, a D3 Safety that stumbled into 1 pick, and a WR that couldn't stay healthy. That summed up days 1 & 2 after the season. Looking at it from a certain point of view. Actually I recall Collins was decent his rookie year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. And I wouldn't trust a draft board or committee that suggests moving up in the first round to draft a 3rd string QB. And I don't trust a draft committee that wastes a #12 pick on a developmental player (Rashan Gary). Yes, they've made some good selections, but not often. Maybe I'll change my mind this year on Gluten if Dillon runs for 1,000 yards and 10 TDs , and Josh D puts up 6 TDs and 800 yards and adds value as a HB and an in-line blocker. The only stud drafted in the fast-closing Gluten era is Jaire Alexander .

IMO, I think Gluten and his buddies have done an awful job at drafting, well, excluding Jaire Alexander, one guy. I'm not saying I could do better, but I don't get paid to do Gluten's job.

How many TE’s are putting up numbers like that?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OOOH OOOH ask me.
2 had more than 800 yards, 10 more had 600-799 yards and a dozen had 6 or more TD's. 7 are on both lists. Tonyan is on the TD list.

I like Tonyan but TDs are, for most players, one of the least stable stats out there. Anyone remember James Jones having 14 TDs in 2012?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Tonyan but TDs are, for most players, one of the least stable stats out there. Anyone remember James Jones having 14 TDs in 2012?
Good point. I'd be happy with a TE who could split the seam and put up yards between the 20s. I think the last one we had who could do that was Cook, and TT let him go because he wanted too much ($3 mil/year). Tonyan is the most likely guy to do that, but he hasn't dome it yet.

And thanks guys, I was way off on my numbers for Josh D. I'd be happy with a few TDs and if he develops into a solid in-line blocker and sometimes HB. This may be Lewis' last season, and probably why Josh D was drafted.

I will stand by my evaluation of Gluten. I just think there are better GMs out there. And those back-to-back 13-3 seasons? Well those don't happen without Rodgers. He may have become a real jerk lately a jerk, but he has a way of making HCs and GMs look good. I guess we'll find out when he's gone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. I'd be happy with a TE who could split the seam and put up yards between the 20s. I think the last one we had who could do that was Cook, and TT let him go because he wanted too much ($3 mil/year). Tonyan is the most likely guy to do that, but he hasn't dome it yet.

And thanks guys, I was way off on my numbers for Josh D. I'd be happy with a few TDs and if he develops into a solid in-line blocker and sometimes HB. This may be Lewis' last season, and probably why Josh D was drafted.

I will stand by my evaluation of Gluten. I just think there are better GMs out there. And those back-to-back 13-3 seasons? Well those don't happen without Rodgers. He may have become a real jerk lately a jerk, but he has a way of making HCs and GMs look good. I guess we'll find out when he's gone.
again, so you think Retaining a top 5-10RB, retaining the best LT in the game, bringing Amos, Turner, PSmith, and ZSmith on board along with draft Jenkins, Savage, Gary, Jaire in the 3 previous years is the work of a poor GM?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately, probably not even then. It'll be a different team playing different opponents under different circumstances, et. al.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
again, so you think Retaining a top 5-10RB, retaining the best LT in the game, bringing Amos, Turner, PSmith, and ZSmith on board along with draft Jenkins, Savage, Gary, Jaire in the 3 previous years is the work of a poor GM?

I think people are ignoring an important aspect of this when you start discussing defending free agents; yes, those guys improved the defense but I think Rodgers issue is that he wants the GM to make his job easier. I'm sure he likes having a good defense but the Packers offense isn't exactly deep at skill position players and Rodgers would probably like to see a little more investment in Manning his job easier, not simply bringing back the guys that keep his job at the current level of required heroism.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are ignoring an important aspect of this when you start discussing defending free agents; yes, those guys improved the defense but I think Rodgers issue is that he wants the GM to make his job easier. I'm sure he likes having a good defense but the Packers offense isn't exactly deep at skill position players and Rodgers would probably like to see a little more investment in Manning his job easier, not simply bringing back the guys that keep his job at the current level of required heroism.

Easier like having the number one offense in the league? Like having a top 5 OL to keep the QB clean? Like having the best WR in the league? Like having arguably the best RB duo in the league? A top 15 TE in the league? One of the most innovative offensive coaches in the league? Is that enough to make things easier?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easier like having the number one offense in the league? Like having a top 5 OL to keep the QB clean? Like having the best WR in the league? Like having arguably the best RB duo in the league? A top 15 TE in the league? One of the most innovative offensive coaches in the league? Is that enough to make things easier?

Ugh....stop bringing facts into this discussion...lol

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of having a good defense...why the heck do you think Tom Brady has won so many SuperBowl’s? Obviously him being a good QB has played a role, but he has played with some PHENOMENAL defenses. Rodgers, unfortunately, has not.

Brady in the playoffs has averaged 28 ppg. His teams defenses have allowed an average of 21 ppg.

For Rodgers, it’s 32 and 30. You wanna make it easier on a QB?! HAVE A GREAT DEFENSE!

Reaction score
Speaking of having a good defense...why the heck do you think Tom Brady has won so many SuperBowl’s? Obviously him being a good QB has played a role, but he has played with some PHENOMENAL defenses. Rodgers, unfortunately, has not.

Brady in the playoffs has averaged 28 ppg. His teams defenses have allowed an average of 21 ppg.

For Rodgers, it’s 32 and 30. You wanna make it easier on a QB?! HAVE A GREAT DEFENSE!
Most people give Brady all the credit, but in fact it was his Defenses that put him in favorable opportunities. He did a nice job of those opportunities. But look these seasons over and tell me how many SB’s Brady and Rodgers would have if you inverted their names and numbers of tries?

btw. The only season in Rodgers career where his Defense outplayed Brady’s? 2010!!!!

notice the D rankings below. Notice the outcome. When Brady had a 9th rated D or greater he struggles. He’s the GOAT.. but he’s no better than Brees or Rodgers or any other great QB without the help of an elite Defense. 0-4.

BRADY TEAMS /// RODGERS TEAMS
8th
Won SB 31-9 ///// 13th Lost NFC 26-31
1st lost WC 13-20 //// 9th. Lost NFC 20-37
7th. Won SB 13-3 /// 22nd
5th. Lost SB 34-41 //// 26th
1st Won SB 34-28 ///// 21st
10th Lost AFC 18-20 ///// 12th
8th Won SB 28-24 ///// 13th lost NFC in OT
10th lost AFC 16-26 //// 24th
9th Lost in AFC 13-28 ////: 11th
15th Lost SB 17-21 ///// 19th
8th lost DIV 21-28 /// 2nd Won Super Bowl 31-25
5th lost WC 14-33. /// 7th lost WC 45-51
4th lost SB 14-17 /// 22nd
2nd
Lost AFC 34-38
17th Lost Div 13-27(what happened Tom?Ohhh I see)
2nd Won SB 24-21
1st. Won SB 32-29
17th (missed playoffs..But Matt Cassell took them to an 11-5 record!)
6th. Won SB 20-17

Tom Brady has never won a SB without a Defense finishing in top 8 scoring or better. They ranked 6th, 1st, 2nd, 8th, 1st, 7th and 8th.
Rodgers has had 1 top 8 Defense... 2010 season

Brady has had the luxury of only playing with just 2/18 Defenses ranked outside #10 in scoring

Rodgers has had the unfortunate situation with 10/13 Defenses ranked outside #10 in scoring

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, are you unclear on what "easier" means in this context?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, are you unclear on what "easier" means in this context?

I think the idea that Rodgers doesn’t have a good enough supporting cast is a fallacy, and easily proven so. He did not have to go through any heroic play for the Packers to do well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the idea that Rodgers doesn’t have a good enough supporting cast is a fallacy, and easily proven so. He did not have to go through any heroic play for the Packers to do well.

So, then, yes you're unclear? Cause "easier" means, uhnm, easier? As in, I can do math but if I was trying to win some kind of math-a-thon I would certainly prefer the question to be " what's the square root of 36" rather than "what's the square root of 235,802". I never mentioned his supporting cast not getting good enough.

This is also why it's smart for players to not really say anything. Because, as in this instance, people read/hear what they want, not what was actually written/said.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, then, yes you're unclear? Cause "easier" means, uhnm, easier? As in, I can do math but if I was trying to win some kind of math-a-thon I would certainly prefer the question to be " what's the square root of 36" rather than "what's the square root of 235,802". I never mentioned his supporting cast not getting good enough.

This is also why it's smart for players to not really say anything. Because, as in this instance, people read/hear what they want, not what was actually written/said.

Everybody wants things to be easier. You’re making this a little too simplistic. For it to be easier, in general, something has to give. There are only so many roster spots, and so much money. More and better receivers could possibly result in less talented OL. So is the offense easier for Rodgers now? Perhaps keeping the best LT in the league means you have less money to spend on good defensive players, resulting in a bad defense that gives up a lot of points. Is it easier for Rodgers now, knowing he’ll have to score frequently to keep the team in games?

So tell me, how do you make his job easier? Because like I said, they just had the top offense in the league. Surrounded by a good amount of elite talent, and a considerable amount of average to above average talent on offense. You want discussion? Then discuss beyond “easier”.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody wants things to be easier. You’re making this a little too simplistic. For it to be easier, in general, something has to give. There are only so many roster spots, and so much money. More and better receivers could possibly result in less talented OL. So is the offense easier for Rodgers now? Perhaps keeping the best LT in the league means you have less money to spend on good defensive players, resulting in a bad defense that gives up a lot of points. Is it easier for Rodgers now, knowing he’ll have to score frequently to keep the team in games?

So tell me, how do you make his job easier? Because like I said, they just had the top offense in the league. Surrounded by a good amount of elite talent, and a considerable amount of average to above average talent on offense. You want discussion? Then discuss beyond “easier”.

I guarantee you that Rodgers is convinced, rightfully, that much of the elite talent on offense is dependent on him. Last year, drafting backups with the first 3 picks was not, in ANY way, making things easier for him. Last year's draft did nothing to make his job easier when I'm sure he saw multiple opportunities go by to find players that would make his job easier.

And you say everybody wants things easier and that's true. Everybody doesn't have the power of a professional sports star to insist on it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guarantee you that Rodgers is convinced, rightfully, that much of the elite talent on offense is dependent on him. Last year, drafting backups with the first 3 picks was not, in ANY way, making things easier for him. Last year's draft did nothing to make his job easier when I'm sure he saw multiple opportunities go by to find players that would make his job easier.

And you say everybody wants things easier and that's true. Everybody doesn't have the power of a professional sports star to insist on it.

So Bakhtiari being elite is dependent on Rodgers? How? Jones being elite is dependent on Rodgers? Adams? Bogus. Those guys are good anywhere they go. Does Rodgers elevate them? Of course, and he should. That’s what he’s paid $30 million a year to do.

The draft is not for year one, it’s for year 2,3,4. It’s a projection.

You just want to say “easier” but not talk about anything else. I ain’t here for that.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Bakhtiari being elite is dependent on Rodgers? How? Jones being elite is dependent on Rodgers? Adams? Bogus. Those guys are good anywhere they go. Does Rodgers elevate them? Of course, and he should. That’s what he’s paid $30 million a year to do.

The draft is not for year one, it’s for year 2,3,4. It’s a projection.

You just want to say “easier” but not talk about anything else. I ain’t here for that.

Cool strawman.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where in what Glee said is not true?

When he said I didn't think player X was elite. All I said was that Rodgers, like pretty much EVERY year QB, believes they lift everyone on the offense; i.e., they believe they make many other players better.

I never said a thing about what I thought. Ppl seem to be ignoring that you're dealing with what Rodgers believes, not what some random person believes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts