29th pick.. Eric stokes db

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhh, so would anyone, that's not some amazing skill. If any GM thought they could trade back and get their guy, they would (aside from Gettleman).
I didn’t say he had an amazing skill. I said if he could have he would have. He’s shown it multiple times and his willingness to move around a board to get people they want.

it doesn’t take an amazing skill to move back either. You can just do like the Vikings did and not turn in a pick. Or give the spots away for nothing.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t say he had an amazing skill. I said if he could have he would have. He’s shown it multiple times and his willingness to move around a board to get people they want.

it doesn’t take an amazing skill to move back either. You can just do like the Vikings did and not turn in a pick. Or give the spots away for nothing.

I completely agree. I just think it's obvious that Gute had Stokes rated very highly and was concerned he'd miss out on him.

I just didn't like pick, I think Stokes is going to take a while to stop grabbing and watching Ahmad Carroll has given me PTSD about those kinds of corners.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I completely agree. I just think it's obvious that Gute had Stokes rated very highly and was concerned he'd miss out on him.

I just didn't like pick, I think Stokes is going to take a while to stop grabbing and watching Ahmad Carroll has given me PTSD about those kinds of corners.

See, I like this.

You don't like the pick because you don't like the player. That makes sense. A lot more sense than not liking the pick because Todd McShay told you he was predestined to go between pick #35 and 42.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the position and trust they know more than I do on the player. I would have preferred Moehring or Samuel at the DB position.
I agree about Samuel. I think he's more like Alexander, and Alexander has proven you don't have to be over 6" to be a great DB.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems like a reach
It seems like Gluten has a track record or reaching. For example, I think Dillon would have been available last year with the third pick. Her's hoping to selection committee really does know more than us.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profile:

Overview

Depending upon scheme, need or preference, Stokes offers teams the potential to play him outside or from the slot. Speed and quickness should allow him to stay with route runners or within close-out distance when he gets behind. Stokes played with better press technique in 2020 and he's willing to get physical near the goal line, but his play strength is below average. While there have been mild flashes of playmaking potential, he's more likely to play the receiver rather than attacking the football and looking for takeaways. He's twitchy in tight quarters with the potential to become more disruptive in zone. His size, speed and athleticism could make him a Day 2 pick as a future CB3, but his weakness as a run defender will be challenged quickly by NFL offenses.

Strengths

Combination of speed/quickness to play inside or outside.
Occasional flashes of playmaking instincts.
Had two interception returns for touchdowns in 2020.
Poised through press release.
Stands his ground against physical targets.
Fights back against push-offs at the top of the route.
Celebrated high school sprint champ.
Can run with mismatch-caliber speedsters on crossing routes.
Hyper-twitchy with downhill drive to his target.
Plays into receiver when phasing downfield.
Potential for gunner duties on punt team.

Weaknesses

Slim lower body with lack of play strength.
Thinks "hands" before "feet" when matching release and breaks.
Doesn't fully trust what he sees yet.
Mostly "right place, right time" interceptions.
Takes extra steps on lateral transition from shuffle/pedal.
Tardy gaining playmaking positioning in coverage.
Below-average poise and balance downfield.
Opponents run through solo tackle tries.
Likely to be isolated and targeted by run games.
Agreed. It means nothing if you can stay step for step with a WR if you can't get your head around and play the ball. The opposite is a lot of PI calls. Let's hope they can coach him out of that, and Alexander is a role model.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those writing this off as pathetic or dumb are just being ignorant. Look I had Moehrig higher for sure here if I was going DB, but his measurables explode off the sheet and his RAS screamed GB.

Don't be shocked if his addition and King here allows us to float Jaire around far more than in the past.

His hip flip is impressive and while I see footwork issues compared to the top 4, his acceleration and speed minimize it some....refinement with technique could make this young man SCARY.

Personally I'd have went Barmore, Jenkins or Elijah but I understand the pick
I agree. They'll have to teach him to get his head turned around and track the ball. That slows a DB down some, but with this guys speed maybe that won't be a problem. And moving Jaire around should be confusing and scary for defenses.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More pathetic moves by a pathetic front office in my opinion
Well, Gluten spent the first two picks in last year's draft on third stringers, for a team one game removed from the Super Bowl. Stupid, and in my opinion, a fireable act. And the season before, using the #12 pick on a project.

As for Stokes, it's an alright pick but he probably would have been there in round 2. I think Samuels is a DB more in the mold of Alexander. I'd rather they traded back and took him in the early second round. Gluten and Company is like the gang that couldn't shoot straight. And Alexander has proven you don't have to be over 6' tall to be a great DB.

Reaction score
Not a fan of the pick as a first rounder. Consensus is he likely would have been available for the Pack’s second pick. First pick should have been one of the many better players available who also filled a need. Even better would have been to trade back. Still could have gotten Stokes and more picks.

Pack wasted their first round again. Gute just isn’t very good.
While I respect your opinion, I disagree that he would’ve lasted all the way to #62.

Stokes is in the top 6 percentile of all CB’s athletically tested in the last 34 years

A well respectedFootball Outsiders” had the Georgia Bulldogs Defense as a unit ranked in the top #12 in the last 3 consecutive seasons. #10, #12, #3 (2018-2020)
The only other 2 Defenses ranked better over 3 seasons was Clemson and Iowa (WI honorable mention) ( ;
That’s out of 130 football programs (although it may have varied a couple 127? during covid). That the countries 3rd best cumulative College Defensive ranking in Stokes College Tenure.

In the 2021 draft class: Stokes ranked
2nd in receiving yards allowed
3rd in receptions per game (1.1),
4th in yards allowed per snap (2.9 in zone) and
7th in yards allowed per snap (4.7 in Man)
1st in missed tackle % (1)

1st 40 yard dash I’ll add because teams covet speed at DB. Especially anything in the 4.2’s

Stokes was the 4th DB drafted in 2021 in a league that had more than a dozen teams with CB listed as a top 3 need. 8 Corners were gone by pick #47.

I’m going to say that the bulk of teams had Stokes inside the top 8 CBs. There little to zero chance he makes it to #62 overall IMO.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like Gluten has a track record or reaching. For example, I think Dillon would have been available last year with the third pick. Her's hoping to selection committee really does know more than us.
Really??? You’ve seen the Packers draft boards and know the value they place on prospects?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I respect your opinion, I disagree that he would’ve lasted all the way to #62.

Stokes is in the top 6 percentile of all CB’s athletically tested in the last 34 years

A well respectedFootball Outsiders” had the Georgia Bulldogs Defense as a unit ranked in the top #12 in the last 3 consecutive seasons. #10, #12, #3 (2018-2020)
The only other 2 Defenses ranked better over 3 seasons was Clemson and Iowa (WI honorable mention) ( ;
That’s out of 130 football programs (although it may have varied a couple 127? during covid). That the countries 3rd best cumulative College Defensive ranking in Stokes College Tenure.

1st 40 yard dash I’ll add because teams covet speed at DB. Especially anything in the 4.2’s

Stokes was the 4th DB drafted in 2021 in a league that had more than a dozen teams with CB listed as a top 3 need. 8 Corners were gone by pick #47.

I’m going to say that the bulk of teams had Stokes inside the top 8 CBs. There little to zero chance he makes it to #62 overall IMO.

Just minor correction, he was the 5th not 4th selected.

I concur 1,000%. He was NOT making it out of the top 50 let alone another dozen spots.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. They'll have to teach him to get his head turned around and track the ball. That slows a DB down some, but with this guys speed maybe that won't be a problem. And moving Jaire around should be confusing and scary for defenses.

Not sure how they move Jaire around. Neither Stokes nor King are slot corners so Alexander is now the defacto nickel corner when 3 corners are on the field.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well put together.

His stats are even more impressive when you consider:

• Georgia faced some of the best offenses in the NCAA
  • Georgia face 2 #1 overall QB picks
  • Georgia face 3 top 10 WRs In last 2 years.
  • Stokes usually matched up with the top WR
  • The other Georgia CB was very talented and drafted just after
  • The whole Georgia DBs were considered by many to be the best - meaning its not like his stats were inflated from the other guys getting targeted because they sucked

Reaction score
Just minor correction, he was the 5th not 4th selected.

I concur 1,000%. He was NOT making it out of the top 50 let alone another dozen spots.
Charlie Campbell (Walter) has a stellar track record for overall draft accuracy.
Charlie had Greg Newsome going to GB at #29 and Stokes going to Buffalo at #30.
He was very, very close. Those CB’s went #26 and #29 overall respectively

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really??? You’ve seen the Packers draft boards and know the value they place on prospects?
Nope. And I wouldn't trust a draft board or committee that suggests moving up in the first round to draft a 3rd string QB. And I don't trust a draft committee that wastes a #12 pick on a developmental player (Rashan Gary). Yes, they've made some good selections, but not often. Maybe I'll change my mind this year on Gluten if Dillon runs for 1,000 yards and 10 TDs , and Josh D puts up 6 TDs and 800 yards and adds value as a HB and an in-line blocker. The only stud drafted in the fast-closing Gluten era is Jaire Alexander .

IMO, I think Gluten and his buddies have done an awful job at drafting, well, excluding Jaire Alexander, one guy. I'm not saying I could do better, but I don't get paid to do Gluten's job.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who are good at the draft, draft for the future. Gary is proving his worth as a 1st rounder. Love will be up in the air for a while. it's the way it is. Jaire, stud. Jenkins, Stud. Savage, easily worthy of his 1st round selection and wouldn't be surprised if he moves into the stud category this season.

He had 1 stud from the 1st class, and has easily 1 quite possibly 3 studs from his 2nd class. Last years is still open for debate, I happen to think there are a few that are at least players, but the ones i'd expect are good were injured or not ready yet. and this years draft will be a couple seasons until we really know.

I don't know how you'd come away with thinking they weren't at least above average at their jobs.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. And I wouldn't trust a draft board or committee that suggests moving up in the first round to draft a 3rd string QB. And I don't trust a draft committee that wastes a #12 pick on a developmental player (Rashan Gary). Yes, they've made some good selections, but not often. Maybe I'll change my mind this year on Gluten if Dillon runs for 1,000 yards and 10 TDs , and Josh D puts up 6 TDs and 800 yards and adds value as a HB and an in-line blocker. The only stud drafted in the fast-closing Gluten era is Jaire Alexander .

IMO, I think Gluten and his buddies have done an awful job at drafting, well, excluding Jaire Alexander, one guy. I'm not saying I could do better, but I don't get paid to do Gluten's job.
If Thompson had had to trade up from 29 to 24 to get Rodgers in the 2005 draft you would have probably said the same thing, correct? Never bought into the draft and develop philosophy did you?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Thompson had had to trade up from 29 to 24 to get Rodgers in the 2005 draft you would have probably said the same thing, correct? Never bought into the draft and develop philosophy did you?
You're comparing Love to Rodgers? That's all I need to know.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You're comparing Love to Rodgers? That's all I need to know.
After the first year of either's career, the results are about the same. Most of the commentary is the same: we have a future HoF QB and you waste a year of his career drafting his backup/successor.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the first year of either's career, the results are about the same. Most of the commentary is the same: we have a future HoF QB and you waste a year of his career drafting his backup/successor.
That whole 2020 draft was pretty much a waste. Maybe it will cost Gluten hiss job now, although I doubt it.

And was the 2021 draft much better (the bar was pretty low)? I guess in both cases we won't know for a few years, but I for one am not encouraged. OK, I did like the Amari Rodgers pick, but he too has to prove himself. Oh and he'll need a QB who can get the ball to him.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's Josh D?
Cornerback was a huge need! They drafted a guy who played against top tier was in college. He also has elite speed and is not afraid to tackle. He is a good player drafted at 29th in the first rd. He probably wouldn't have lasted until 34.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who are good at the draft, draft for the future. Gary is proving his worth as a 1st rounder. Love will be up in the air for a while. it's the way it is. Jaire, stud. Jenkins, Stud. Savage, easily worthy of his 1st round selection and wouldn't be surprised if he moves into the stud category this season.

He had 1 stud from the 1st class, and has easily 1 quite possibly 3 studs from his 2nd class. Last years is still open for debate, I happen to think there are a few that are at least players, but the ones i'd expect are good were injured or not ready yet. and this years draft will be a couple seasons until we really know.

I don't know how you'd come away with thinking they weren't at least above average at their jobs.
Not to mention, except for Rashan; we are drafting down at the bottom of each round. And when we were higher that year I think we also got Jenkins.

Members online

Latest posts