2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there is a RB we like a lot; I'm thinking we take him with our 2nd 2nd round pick. I think he'll (whoever he is) will still be available then. If not then just go in a different direction and take a RB later. I think spend our free agent money on safety. As always, too many places we can get better.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If there is a RB we like a lot; I'm thinking we take him with our 2nd 2nd round pick. I think he'll (whoever he is) will still be available then. If not then just go in a different direction and take a RB later. I think spend our free agent money on safety. As always, too many places we can get better.
We have 11 picks. We'll be fine. No worries here.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 11 picks. We'll be fine. No worries here.
Agreed. And this is still a very good football team in need of some plugging at certain positions. This isn't a rebuild as much as a reboot that started last year.

As for the draft and FA, I'd like to see a S hired in FA. Safety is clearly the position in need of the most help and hiring an experienced player here just makes sense. It also assumes Bakh is cut to free up the required cap space.

As far as the draft- ideally take another Eltgon Jenkins for the OL. This draft is pretty rich with O Linemen. I'd be fine with a T, but Walker certainly improved. Maybe a C? Gluten needs to shore up the O line and taking a S in FA allows him to do that with the first pick.

After that, a RB and ILB in round 2 and an Edge guy and CB in round 3. It always depends on who is available when picking, but this would be a decent scenario and addresses the gaps in personnel, or where depth is needed.

And that still leaves 6 picks, and maybe more.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably more than 11 by the time Gutekunst gets through wheeling and dealing. I still think there's an excellent chance we trade back out of #25.
Could be. Assuming they get a veteran S in FA, trade back and pick an OL. This draft is rich with them.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the improved play of Walker, maybe Gluten uses a first rounder on a C rather than Tackle. Myers just hasn't worked out and is the weakest link in an otherwise solid line.

I think the need at S is so great that it dictates a first round pick, depending of course on who is there at #25. The Safety cupboard is bare in GB, so I expect a first round pick and a FA signing. And a solid S pair makes the CB job a little easier, esp in zone.

FWIW, my draft order for the first 5 is S, OT/iOL, RB, Edge, CB.
I'd rather at 25 go with Nubin out of Minnesota or if we go Tackle either Guyton or Mims.

Van Pran can be drafted Day 2 probably.

My draft order is S, OT, ILB, RB...and the top 3 are all of equal importance. Reason I didn't say IOL is because if we get a T or maybe even 2 we can move Tom inside.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd rather at 25 go with Nubin out of Minnesota or if we go Tackle either Guyton or Mims.

Van Pran can be drafted Day 2 probably.

My draft order is S, OT, ILB, RB...and the top 3 are all of equal importance. Reason I didn't say IOL is because if we get a T or maybe even 2 we can move Tom inside.
I know it is fun to play the "who will we draft" game, but what the Packers do in the draft, will depend a lot on what they do in Free Agency.

Personally, I like Nubin, but he is a Safety. Safety is one of the lowest paid positions in the NFL. Last year the average pay for a safety was $2,196,749. Compare that to a LT, where the ave. pay was $8,952,680.

A player selected around 25th is going to cost the Packers around $3.4M/year on his rookie deal. Throw in the 5th year option and you start to see the value of getting a starting Tackle over a starting safety (on a rookie deal).

That said, if Gute strikes out in the Free Agent market and doesn't land 1-2 quality safeties, than I absolutely think you start looking at the position with your first pick. Or if a Safety that they had really high on their board (top 15) drops to them. However, all things equal, I will take a Tackle at #25, if he is considered to be equal to a Safety in grade.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it is fun to play the "who will we draft" game, but what the Packers do in the draft, will depend a lot on what they do in Free Agency.

Personally, I like Nubin, but he is a Safety. Safety is one of the lowest paid positions in the NFL. Last year the average pay for a safety was $2,196,749. Compare that to a LT, where the ave. pay was $8,952,680.

A player selected around 25th is going to cost the Packers around $3.4M/year on his rookie deal. Throw in the 5th year option and you start to see the value of getting a starting Tackle over a starting safety (on a rookie deal).

That said, if Gute strikes out in the Free Agent market and doesn't land 1-2 quality safeties, than I absolutely think you start looking at the position with your first pick. Or if a Safety that they had really high on their board (top 15) drops to them. However, all things equal, I will take a Tackle at #25, if he is considered to be equal to a Safety in grade.
Those are some interesting average salary stats, thanks. The problem this year is that the pool of candidates for safety is weak. If DeJean falls to #25 I'd go with him, otherwise, take the best OT, a much deeper pool of talent.

And get an above average S in FA. That shouldn't cost a fortune, the top FAs have been tagged already.

The good news for me is that these talent gaps are fillable. Overall, this is a pretty good team already.

Reaction score

I guess I kinda maybe sorta knew that to an extent. However I didn’t realize it was that big a $$ discrepancy, so good point there

Reaction score
The problem this year is that the pool of candidates for safety is weak.
The Safety class starting Day2 to mid-draft is pretty normal from what I saw going back 5 drafts. It is thin at the Top though, but also it appears the emphasis at Day1 Safety has waned a little bit + we’re not picking that early anyway. I mean Darnell Savage was one of the top Safeties in his class selected if that tells you anything.
The good news is this year aligns very well for us in FA. We should be able to get an upgrade for Savage for not much more than what we paid him (if any). Then there are (debatably) around 8-10 Safeties that should go between our #41 overall and #127 overall, so it’s about average in that area. My belief is that’s also an area you can get a pretty darn good prospect.

We really don’t need to go Day1 at Safety anyway imo. There are really good players available on the Market that would outplay a Day1 Rookie. This is playing into our favor near perfectly and I’ll be very surprised if Gutey doesn’t already have Safety#1 locked up before we draft one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My “Outlier” selection:
That Devontez Walker is very intriguing to me. He’s one of just a handful of WR that I would not be disappointed if we drafted using #88-#91. While I doubt he makes it that far, he’s my WR version of our TE selection, Kraft in RD3. I’d be celebrating I think he’s going to light it up (with the right QB)

I’ll never put it past Gutey to make a move if he thinks it will better the team. He just traded our starting CB, so he’s not immune to making room for someone he likes, possibly getting a future draft pick or a player swap in trade.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I believe I said this wrong.

Mims or Guyton are ABSOLUTELY 1st choice, then Nubin if they aren't there.

I was more disagreeing with going C in Round 1 than anything.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe I said this wrong.

Mims or Guyton are ABSOLUTELY 1st choice, then Nubin if they aren't there.

I was more disagreeing with going C in Round 1 than anything.
You're right about not drafting a pure C in round 1. Some guys who play inside a lot are suited to C. I'm not happy with Myers, and a C can be taken later in the draft. I like the idea of taking a T and if he works out, moving Tom inside.

It's gonna be a solid Oline if they of course stay healthy. Weakest link is Myers, and it shouldn't be that hard to replace him. I think Linsley was taken in the 4th round.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jonathan Brooks Rb Texas seems to be a ready made replacement for Aaron Jones and Braelon Allen Rb Wisconsin a ready made replacement for AJ Dillon

Personally Id love to end up with both though spending a 2nd and a 3rd on rbs might be unrealistic

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jonathan Brooks Rb Texas seems to be a ready made replacement for Aaron Jones and Braelon Allen Rb Wisconsin a ready made replacement for AJ Dillon

Personally Id love to end up with both though spending a 2nd and a 3rd on rbs might be unrealistic
Yeah I can definitely see Gluten using a second round pick on a RB, if the value is there. This isn't a great draft for RBs. That said, many teams including the Packers have found solid backs in the 4th and 5th rounds as well.

There seems to be a consensus that a safety will be acquired in FA, and then another drafted in the second, maybe third round. Again, not a great draft for safeties.

Would Gluten take a RB in the 2nd AND 3rd round? Don't think so, but who knows? And with the RB position so devalued, he may take a shot in FA as well as the draft.

Everything about the Packers though says youth, and that means the draft. They are starting from zero with the safety group, so it does make sense to double up there. Ditto for RBs. Pete D of the JS suggest they take 3 RBs. Why not?

If they have enough capital to take a safety and someone else in FA, maybe find a mid 20s Edge guy. Won't be cheap, but safety is another position being devalued, so an established rusher in Fa may be in the cards.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was thinking Brooks, Wright or Benson. But maybe our board would include Corum or Irving.

Reaction score
Yeah I can definitely see Gluten using a second round pick on a RB, if the value is there. This isn't a great draft for RBs. That said, many teams including the Packers have found solid backs in the 4th and 5th rounds as well.

There seems to be a consensus that a safety will be acquired in FA, and then another drafted in the second, maybe third round. Again, not a great draft for safeties.

Would Gluten take a RB in the 2nd AND 3rd round? Don't think so, but who knows? And with the RB position so devalued, he may take a shot in FA as well as the draft.

Everything about the Packers though says youth, and that means the draft. They are starting from zero with the safety group, so it does make sense to double up there. Ditto for RBs. Pete D of the JS suggest they take 3 RBs. Why not?

If they have enough capital to take a safety and someone else in FA, maybe find a mid 20s Edge guy. Won't be cheap, but safety is another position being devalued, so an established rusher in Fa may be in the cards.
That and I also personally like the idea of making a push by reserving that later 3rd- later 5th Round-early 6th rounds, for specific positions I feel can contribute early on. We don’t HAVE to go TE or OC or QB etc. imo, but they are are all positions to build upon, but not imperative. I like using 6/7th rounders on high upside projects or more so players you don’t expect to utilize as much in Rookie seasons (unless it’s ST)
I have seen earlier production from RB, ILB, DT, OG early on (also OC)such as the Linsleys, the Cory Hall, Desmond Bishop, Wooden, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones, etc. They can be effective positions not only with earlier draft picks, but even in that 100-175 overall area.

To clarify, it seems like there are positions harder to excel early for mid-later rounders. TE, QB, OT, CB, WR, Safety.
There are always exceptions and Maybe that’s just my perception, but it seems like those latter positions pop more in Sophomore-3rd season when selecting one outside of around #75 overall. Maybe they are more intricate positions to transition to from College idk.

We got spoiled in 2023 because we really hit on some later Draft picks that produced early. But that’s more an outlier than it is the norm.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about not drafting a pure C in round 1. Some guys who play inside a lot are suited to C. I'm not happy with Myers, and a C can be taken later in the draft. I like the idea of taking a T and if he works out, moving Tom inside.

It's gonna be a solid Oline if they of course stay healthy. Weakest link is Myers, and it shouldn't be that hard to replace him. I think Linsley was taken in the 4th round.
Remember HeyJoe4 in camp last year it came down to Myers being a better Center than Nijman was a Tackle. They knew Tom was a starter, they just didn't figure it out until late in camp that he was gonna play Tackle.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember HeyJoe4 in camp last year it came down to Myers being a better Center than Nijman was a Tackle. They knew Tom was a starter, they just didn't figure it out until late in camp that he was gonna play Tackle.
What bothers me is they could have taken Creed Humphrey. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. NBD. Myers is ok, just a guy. I'd like for Love to build a long partnership with a C, like Favre/Winters, Rodgers/Linsley. It's certainly not a "must have". They might take an iOL and it would be good if the guy could play center. Other needs at S, OT, RB, ILB, Edge and CB take priority.

They have a pretty good O line right now. Walker and Tom really stepped up last year. Add a T and depth, all will be fine.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bothers me is they could have taken Creed Humphrey. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. NBD. Myers is ok, just a guy. I'd like for Love to build a long partnership with a C, like Favre/Winters, Rodgers/Linsley. It's certainly not a "must have". They might take an iOL and it would be good if the guy could play center. Other needs at S, OT, RB, ILB, Edge and CB take priority.

They have a pretty good O line right now. Walker and Tom really stepped up last year. Add a T and depth, all will be fine.
I remember getting horse laughed about drafting Humphrey. KC gets him and they've got 2 rings now. What we really need is 2 T (1 to move Tom inside, 1 to move Nijman off the team) and at least one G to move Newman off the team, and if we draft a C, that moves Myers out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember getting horse laughed about drafting Humphrey. KC gets him and they've got 2 rings now. What we really need is 2 T (1 to move Tom inside, 1 to move Nijman off the team) and at least one G to move Newman off the team, and if we draft a C, that moves Myers out.
Sounds reasonable, although that's a lot to accomplish in one year. I believe Gluten will take a LT in round 1. Yes Walker played well later in the season, but the blind side needs two solid players.

As far as C, if they can get the rest of the line settled, Myers will do. I don't know what the draft looks like for Centers, or FA for that matter. I trust Gluten will address it if it's a big concern for him.

Reaction score
Good idea. A RT gives us an option to use Tom’s flexibility.
Here’s the draft credit card.. I’ll stay reasonable on my choice :)

I’d Go ahead and grab Mims first and then double down with Blake Fisher.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Good idea. A RT gives us an option to use Tom’s flexibility.
Here’s the draft credit card.. I’ll stay reasonable on my choice :)

I’d Go ahead and grab Mims first and then double down with Blake Fisher.
I fully expect to see both of these guys in your draft contest entry. Otherwise, your just blowing smoke.

Reaction score
I fully expect to see both of these guys in your draft contest entry. Otherwise, your just blowing smoke.
But I don’t really have a draft credit card I was just playing make believe:whistling: I’ve always wanted to play the annoying part of Charles Grodin’s Midnight Run train scene if that helps

Seriously though,
I wouldn’t be mad if we did that at all (drafted 2 really good OL in that first 2-4 rounds) Then I’d hit Dylan McMahon or the Tigers Charles Turner III with a Day3 pick to develop for 1 season behind Myers. The only way I’m going OC early is if one drops in my lap without reaching. I’d have a hard time passing on Frazier or Van Pran I ain’t gonna lie.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable, although that's a lot to accomplish in one year. I believe Gluten will take a LT in round 1. Yes Walker played well later in the season, but the blind side needs two solid players.

As far as C, if they can get the rest of the line settled, Myers will do. I don't know what the draft looks like for Centers, or FA for that matter. I trust Gluten will address it if it's a big concern for him.
At C I trust Van Pran I DON'T trust Bortolini...and I'm not sure who else is available or haven't seen them.

Members online

Latest posts