2023 Tyni's Prospect Thread

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. He wants to be seen as the smartest guy in the room.
That's it - "I'm not the smartest guy in the room but I'll act like it." I doubt he goes through that rationalization, that's the mystery of insecurity, he's not aware of it. And it's a shame really because the guy is so talented and so accomplished and so rich. What the hell is there to be insecure about?

All that said, I hope he's back next year. He'll have a better WR room, maybe a kickass TE, and a better OL. I mean I'm optimistic about next year. No place to go but up (I think)!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure what comment you're responding to but it doesn't matter, you're right. Rodgers likes to make life hard for other people. He's just built that way. I'm not sure why - he's talented, rich and smart. I don't get why guys like that seem to be so insecure. They act like divas because for some reason, they don't feel worthy. Weird psychological weakness/flaw that I don't get.
So tell us, how he should answer these questions. You see it as being difficult and insecure and diva'ish stemming from psycological weakness. So, how should an aging QB who is much much closer to the end than the beginning with a quarter of a season yet to play on a team that is looking for the right time to cut ties and move on supposed to answer the question?

Myself, I thought it was pretty much a "no ****" type answer. I always wonder why people read so much into it. It's the reality of it. He has to want to commit to a fully season, which at this point in his career isn't a given before the current season has ended and the team has to want to commit to him. What's so hard to understand about it?

You don't think he learned some things over the years? He saw the team try and move on from Favre. He knows this team eventually wants to move on from him. I think he's just being honest about the situation. Some see it as being a diva. to each their own I guess.

Like every year the same group will gnash their teeth and smear the QB with every possibility that never happens about holding everyone hostage and blah, blah blah. If I had to bet, i'd put a lot more money on him and the team knowing what each other is doing by March and life in the NFL goes on as normal. Despite all the false prognostications from some fans, again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So tell us, how he should answer these questions. You see it as being difficult and insecure and diva'ish stemming from psycological weakness. So, how should an aging QB who is much much closer to the end than the beginning with a quarter of a season yet to play on a team that is looking for the right time to cut ties and move on supposed to answer the question?

Myself, I thought it was pretty much a "no ****" type answer. I always wonder why people read so much into it. It's the reality of it. He has to want to commit to a fully season, which at this point in his career isn't a given before the current season has ended and the team has to want to commit to him. What's so hard to understand about it?

You don't think he learned some things over the years? He saw the team try and move on from Favre. He knows this team eventually wants to move on from him. I think he's just being honest about the situation. Some see it as being a diva. to each their own I guess.

Like every year the same group will gnash their teeth and smear the QB with every possibility that never happens about holding everyone hostage and blah, blah blah. If I had to bet, i'd put a lot more money on him and the team knowing what each other is doing by March and life in the NFL goes on as normal. Despite all the false prognostications from some fans, again.
Good points Mondio. I can't speak for others, but I'll admit being guilty of expecting too much, especially from HOF guys like Rodgers. And that isn't always fair.

We saw it from Favre and we just saw it from Brady, these guys have an understandably hard time deciding when it's time to go. And all three of these guys either have or continue to play well late in their careers.

So it's probably best to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt, realizing his decision is no easier than the one the Packers will have to make after the season.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points Mondio. I can't speak for others, but I'll admit being guilty of expecting too much, especially from HOF guys like Rodgers. And that isn't always fair.

We saw it from Favre and we just saw it from Brady, these guys have an understandably hard time deciding when it's time to go. And all three of these guys either have or continue to play well late in their careers.

So it's probably best to give Rodgers the benefit of the doubt, realizing his decision is no easier than the one the Packers will have to make after the season.

Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Dave Krieg, Dan Marino. All these guys played way past their primes. Rodgers, while he may have lost a step, looks way better than these guys did their last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Sooo....... back to prospects, Tyni, who in your opinion right now are the top 10 prospects overall in this draft?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sooo....... back to prospects, Tyni, who in your opinion right now are the top 10 prospects overall in this draft?

Oh man....so we are talking prospects? Not who I feel will be the first ten selected correct?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple things, folks keep thinking Davis is more than he is - dude is still VERY raw and as I said above due to circumstances of the roster and Tonyan's injury was provided an elevated position than he otherwise should IMO. He was drafted just in 2020 in the 6th....many forget Tonyan took quite awhile to even find a groove and role with the Packers (who weren't even who picked up up after the draft.

Tonyan ran a wrong route this year according to numerous experts (Benkert broke it down the best IMO) that led to an INT, it happens and Tonyan is a much more seasoned TE than Davis will be even for another year or two.

Davis is essentially in his second year truly despite third in NFL. Next year will be the make it or break it year for Davis - and is the epitome of the type of guy you want to have battling for that TE3 or so role next year as he will be cheap on a RFA deal and is guy many folks seem to see a high ceiling for just as they did for a young Tonyan.

Problem I have with Davis is 2 of the INTs Love threw in the Pre-season were off Davis' hands.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man....so we are talking prospects? Not who I feel will be the first ten selected correct?
You're the draft guru we all count on Ty. Do you think Mayer will go top 10? Well, we'll find out when we see your list! Thanks in advance pal.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're the draft guru we all count on Ty. Do you think Mayer will go top 10? Well, we'll find out when we see your list! Thanks in advance pal.

His position worries me saying yes, just as Kyle Pitts did HOWEVER unlike Pitts Mayer is more the prototypical TE type body where Pitts was truly a bulky WR LOL

Do I believe he is a top 10 prospect - 100%
Do I believe he goes in the top 10 of the actual draft - 50/50 bet IMO solely due to position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So I'll say this much about a few prospects...roughly ordered but this is far from ironed out:

Jalen Carter iDL - 100% in my top 5 prospects and should go top 10.
Will Anderson EDGE - Deserves a top 5 label and will go in top 10 as well.
Myles Murphy EDGE - Borderline top 5 prospect and I believe should go top 10
Michael Mayer TE - I have him as top 5 prospect and I believe should go top 10 but likely won't due to position
Christian Gonzalez CB - I have him as a top 10 and should go top 10 IMO - was waiting to see if he declare or not, now that he has 100% my CB1 personally.
Paris Johnson OT & Broderick Jones OT & Peter Skoronski OT - I am struggling mightedly myself on ordering these three and christening my OT#1. I truthfully if pushed put them in my order.
Bryan Bresee iDL - 100% this kid has been through a lot last two years...loss of his sister, a severe illness and a torn ACL. He is a BEAST in the middle and only one other prospect is better and the rest are IMO for sure behind him.

Bijan Robinson RB - Top 10 prospect. This cat is special, however I won't say should be top 10 pick, I'm a never draft a RB in the first unless LATE and you have stacked roster other places.

QBs at top tier...
Bryce Young QB - To me is the QB I'm going for if I was tasked with picking one. Less unknown and less gamble. You may not end up with a top 5 in the league, but Young to me at worst will be a Top 20 QB in the league most likely. I don't have him in my top 10
CJ Stroud QB - he'll go top 10, he isn't top 10 however.
Anthony Richardson QB and Will Levis QB - these two will fight for being the 3rd QB taken - which I predict happens prior to the 16th pick in the draft. I believe Levis could end up the best QB in this bunch despite some hiccups in college.

*My on the skirts type prospect which might surprise some folks is Isaiah Foskey EDGE from Notre Dame....while I probably would struggle to put him in my Top 10 this young man honestly excites me as much as Bresee if Green Bay were to call his name. All this cat did in College was progress and become a BEAST! I truly think his measurable may very well push him into contention to be the 2nd Edge defender in this draft - YES I said that. I do have Murphy as my EDGE2 but folks it is more like EDGE2A and 2B. Foskey put up 20.5 sacks in the last two seasons, over 121 tackles and 23 of those for loss. Disruption with ability and nose for the ball is huge with this young man (6 SIX...I SAID SIX forced fumbles in 2021). You want Ty's Darkhorse guy to surprise folks and in four years while everyone is reflecting on the 2023 draft trying to christen one guy as the steal...HE IS IN A BIG WAY THAT GUY TO ME.

So here my unofficial Top 10 prospects...followed by my stab at who I think will actually be the Top 10 picks.

Top 10 Prospects if PUSHED to list today:
Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Michael Mayer
Paris Johnson
Christian Gonzalez
Broderick Jones
Bryan Bresee
Bijan Robinson
Bryce Young

Top 10 picks predicted if pushed today, NOT in any order however:
Jalen Carter
Bryce Young
CJ Stroud
Will Anderson
Myles Murphy
Paris Johnson
Broderick Jones
Jordan Addison WR OR Quentin Johnston WR
Christian Gonzalez OR Kelee Ringo CB OR Joey Porter Jr. CB

With the final spot I'll say Michael Mayer makes it in....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His position worries me saying yes, just as Kyle Pitts did HOWEVER unlike Pitts Mayer is more the prototypical TE type body where Pitts was truly a bulky WR LOL

Do I believe he is a top 10 prospect - 100%
Do I believe he goes in the top 10 of the actual draft - 50/50 bet IMO solely due to position.
Thanks Ty. Yeah Pitts went #4, right? To Atlanta?

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks Ty. Yeah Pitts went #4, right? To Atlanta?

I don’t recall exact spot but it was top six I believe for sure

Pitts was drafted fourth overall by the Falcons. Aside of Billy Canton, who you might consider as a tight end, who was drafted first overall back in 1960 no other tight end has ever been selected that high in league history.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pitts was drafted fourth overall by the Falcons. Aside of Billy Canton, who you might consider as a tight end, who was drafted first overall back in 1960 no other tight end has ever been selected that high in league history.
Such a wasted pick by Atlanta~ draft a receiving TE & run the ball 60% of the time. smh Wouldn't mind trading a 2nd & 5th rounder for him to join GB. I'd offer a 1st round if the Packers are picking after the 20th pick for Pitts.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Such a wasted pick by Atlanta~ draft a receiving TE & run the ball 60% of the time. smh Wouldn't mind trading a 2nd & 5th rounder for him to join GB. I'd offer a 1st round if the Packers are picking after the 20th pick for Pitts.
It does seem like he's being wasted in Atlanta, and the Packers need a TE. I think one way or another, they get a solid TE in 2023. It's about time anyway........

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't forget that Pitts put up 1,026 receiving yards last year as a rookie with Ryan still around.

It's true he's not a fit in their current system though.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% just spitballing but I'd be curious for a.) how much we could get in a Rodgers trade and b.) how much it would take to get Atlanta to trade us Pitts

I have no idea really but if you could trade Rodgers, get Pitts, AND still come out a net positive in draft capital that wouldn't be the worst thing ever...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% just spitballing but I'd be curious for a.) how much we could get in a Rodgers trade and b.) how much it would take to get Atlanta to trade us Pitts

I have no idea really but if you could trade Rodgers, get Pitts, AND still come out a net positive in draft capital that wouldn't be the worst thing ever...

Not prospect related but real quick thought; I don't think hypothetically discussing a trade of Rodgers is worth having until Gute, GB or Rodgers' camp starts the rumors of this. His extension was massive and is why I say not worth worrying about until we are told we need to.

Now Love's direct comments to Jason Wilde about his agent and him will discuss next year and whether he wants to be a back up another year DOES warrant discussions on a Jordan Love or offseason thread.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not prospect related but real quick thought; I don't think hypothetically discussing a trade of Rodgers is worth having until Gute, GB or Rodgers' camp starts the rumors of this. His extension was massive and is why I say not worth worrying about until we are told we need to.

Now Love's direct comments to Jason Wilde about his agent and him will discuss next year and whether he wants to be a back up another year DOES warrant discussions on a Jordan Love or offseason thread.
Yeah you're probably right. I wonder how different this season would have been with a good DC. Can't put all the blame on Barry, but some of his mistakes seemed obvious - playing zone with talented man corners, playing far off the LOS on 3rd and long, and on and on. They could have had the guy who went to SF. Well, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

But back to your point, I think Rodgers will be back for a year or two. The WR group seems to be forming. I think OT and TE and S can be addressed in the draft and FA, maybe a trade. And we'll certainly see a new DC.

Bottom line, there's still reason to expect 2023 will be a good season. Now if they all decide trading Rodgers is best...... Well you're right, that will be a different discussion.

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion trading Rodgers would definitely be a bad thing, at least in the short term no matter the compensation the Packers would get for him.

I think OT and TE and S can be addressed in the draft and FA, maybe a trade.

If the Packers re-sign Jenkins I don't think the offensive line is in need of being addressed early in the draft or free agency.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion trading Rodgers would definitely be a bad thing, at least in the short term no matter the compensation the Packers would get for him.

If the Packers re-sign Jenkins I don't think the offensive line is in need of being addressed early in the draft or free agency.

Depending on what early and or in free agency means to you I still believe it is a true need. Doubtful we hang on to Jenkins and Yosh. Yosh has proven now a second year fully capable of starting for most teams in the NFL at RT - in 635 snaps this season he has given 1 sack, 21 pressures for an efficiency according to PFF of 96.9. He is pacing to have a better graded season by nearly all metrics when compared to his 2021 season as well.

So let's say we resign Jenkins, Bakh restructures for a little relief...we have a center that didn't progress as we would have hoped (still a starter level mind you) in Myers...Newman is clearly having a down year or at best did not grow at all in his sophomore season, Runyan is decent but beatable possibly this next year...Tom is really the only guy maybe to slide into.

I agree OL is not a position to feel cornered in but I would personally appreciate a poor mans late FA signing deal like a Veldheer or Kelly type but also a pick in the first three picks.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JL SKinner Safety

Depending on what early and or in free agency means to you I still believe it is a true need. Doubtful we hang on to Jenkins and Yosh. Yosh has proven now a second year fully capable of starting for most teams in the NFL at RT - in 635 snaps this season he has given 1 sack, 21 pressures for an efficiency according to PFF of 96.9. He is pacing to have a better graded season by nearly all metrics when compared to his 2021 season as well.

So let's say we resign Jenkins, Bakh restructures for a little relief...we have a center that didn't progress as we would have hoped (still a starter level mind you) in Myers...Newman is clearly having a down year or at best did not grow at all in his sophomore season, Runyan is decent but beatable possibly this next year...Tom is really the only guy maybe to slide into.

I agree OL is not a position to feel cornered in but I would personally appreciate a poor mans late FA signing deal like a Veldheer or Kelly type but also a pick in the first three picks.
That's a pretty good breakdown of the OL position Ty. I wish GB could hang onto Yosh. They'll certainly find a way to pay Jenkins. But with Bakhtiari's status up in the air, and likely to remain there, Gluten does need to make OL one of his top priorities. It would be ideal to restructure Bakh's deal to better reflect his reality.

I still like taking a production player in round 1 - my personal favorite is Mayer - and then as you say, draft an OT or even a G sometime in rounds 2 or 3, along with a S. The Packers have coached OLinemen well. Now Newman, Runyan, or Tom could break out - probably Runyan. So maybe the best route is a FA like Kelly, as you mention. Bottom line - can't have too many good to decent OLinemen. Ask Tom Brady, or Rodgers for that matter!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So personally I think 2023 draft is shaping up to be one where Gute needs to hit the pedal hard...wheel and deal and I want to see him do minimum two trades the first two days. In a dream scenario a few maybe Edges, a QB and/or CB or WRs start gaining speed and Mayer isn't going to test all that great which I don't think will pull him down any logical or sound scouting departments or teams BUT there are some clear dumb ones - bet it may influence a team or two at least.

All that said a DREAM scenario would be something where Mayer is still there when we are on the clock (most likely somewhere between 9-15) and a small trade back happens, something in the range of a two to five max position trade back. Now I'm only making this trade if I have a decent grasp on who the team that is trading is taking, what perhaps one of the other teams is as well and I like one other prospect other than Mayer enough to have be the consolation prize of the trade if Mayer goes.

Any good team will have plans even if Mayer goes...but in a perfect world we pick up an additional fourth or maybe a fifth (only if they kick in another day 3 sometime IMO) and slide back. Mayer is still there with our trade back top 20 ish pick and we add a Day 1 TE.

Now at the start of Day 2 my plan if I'm Gute is simple IF Amos isn't resigned I want to find a safety NOW. Personally I'm wanting to leave the second round with JL Skinner, Brandon Joseph or Jordan Battle. My favorite I believe since we are stuck with Savage is actually JL Skinner from Boise State. The dude is a rangy TALL (6'4') beast of a safety that can do a lot. I also think especially if Rodgers is back, push that pedal for weapons a touch harder....Watkins/Lazard/Cobb all expiring contracts maybe all or I feel minimum two are gone...Watson and Doubs BOTH showed rookies can produce with Rodgers. Go get me a Cedric Tillman or Jalin Hyatt, Zay Flowers (all three VERY different WR types) or one of the guys I'm HIGH on is Xavier Hutchinson (but I have a high 3rd round grade on most likely).

Such a draft as I described could look something like:

Trade out of say 14th to the 19th picking Buccs...get in return their 19th, 150th and a Day 3 in 2024 for our #14 and a later Day 3 in 2024.

19th - Michael Mayer
44th pick we nab JL Skinner

Then Gute watches as a few more WRs go and pounces trading up our 75th (2023 3rd) our 2024 3rd and a 2024 6th for Washington's 54th in this year's 2nd round. Yes costly, but we SUCK in the 3rd round LOL so let's remove that as an option. We nab say the fleet deep threat and fast Jalin Hyatt type WR to pair with Watson and Doubs for this offense.

Yes we now have to wait till the fourth but folks that fourth is nearly a top 100 pick with how high we are at 110 and we picked up that 150 so we have three more picks in the middle of the draft to target most likely a diverse OT with moveable traits, an EDGE and maybe an additional DB or you could double dip on OL or Edge even.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a pretty good breakdown of the OL position Ty. I wish GB could hang onto Yosh. They'll certainly find a way to pay Jenkins.
Spotrac has FA "Market Value" calculations... and they're shockingly low, IMHO. Jenkins' MV is $7.147Mil/yr and Nijman's is $3.3Mil/yr. For those prices I'd lock-up BOTH on 4 or 5 yr. deals which put them in early 30's when time for next contract.