2023 Needs In Tyni's Opinion (as of 1/9/2023)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with the Lions defeat my off season addiction of draft prospects, roster management speculation and future decision debates is officially ignited....not ten minutes had passed last night and my phone dinged from two fellow Packer fans asking essentially.... "So, what are our needs for the 2023 draft?"

It is NOT an easy question to answer at this given time, Rodgers' future is not decided, many contracts are up, others must be re-worked or cut (Jones)....

This is merely my opinion presently for how the future needs to be decided and the needs presented roster wise in the post-Rodgers era (which is my personal most likely scenario we are facing):

To me Green Bay's needs are odd, I say that because positional value has two of our "bigger" needs as lower on the value spectrum and that is tight end and safety.

If you forced me into ranking our needs right now, I'll list below...but what I'll list is also relative to prospect values as I see them (draft classes), positional value, where we pick and what I've outlined I suspect might happen:

Edge *(only above TE and S due to positional value and need)
Offensive Tackle (only above TE and S due to positional value and need)
Tight End
Safety
Wide Receiver
Defensive Line
Middle LB
Cornerback
(this could cruise nearly up to the top IF we do decide Rasul to Safety is best for team)
Quarterback (insurance policy time)
Running Back
Kicker

Expansion on thoughts:

Safety
- Heading into 2023 we have an underachieving (albeit better of late) Savage still on contract (fifth year option pick up was BAD decision in hindsight), Tariq Carpenter and Vernon Scott. Amos, Ford and Leavitt are all hitting FA. Fact is money may keep us from Amos...Ford I think might be a resign candidate and Leavitt could also be back cheap for ST play...but a true bonafide starter would be incredibly welcomed in GB and the year to possibly make it a rookie is when we are doing a reset year post Rodgers. There are some solid safeties in this draft too...and a few that could be starters for us into Day 2...maybe 4th rounder on Day 3....this position just isn't one typically teams go high on and has proven over the years to not need as high a draft equity to have good players. Could this be the year we see Rasul make a shift to Safety if GB sees a top flight CB setting there? I personally would embrace that thought process and could see it playing out that way. I struggle to draft a Safety in the first round if we stay at #15 (I honestly am unsure any of this year's prospects are a top 25 guy)...but 100% if we would trade back to that 25-31 range (no 32 pick this year in 1st) it becomes more palatable.

DL - Losing Reed and Lowry opens up a pretty decent need unless Wyatt, Slaton, Ford is a group we strongly feel can solve it with just UDFA or bottom signings in FA.

Tight End - Lewis isn't guaranteed to be back, Tonyan either...we have the H back style Deguara back and the experiment that is progressing (albeit slow) in Davis will be here too. Drafting a day 1 TE1 is a dream and there IMO is only one guy that I'm 100% confident would be that in Michael Mayer. Sitting at #15 is rich historically for a TE...but also is right there where some of the better ones have gone. Positional value here like Safety says don't do it...however, especially a team losing Lewis and Tonyan most likely adding a Mayer that can block and catch immediately out the gate could lesson the offensive destructive nature of losing both at once. No other TE I have graded with a first round pick, but I do really like a few guys in that Day 2 level which I'd understand the gamble of not going Mayer in round one in hopes of nabbing (Washington, Kincaid or Kraft to name a few) on Day 2 (and pair maybe a Whyle or Durham type late Day 3 with).

EDGE Defender - We are set for the future with Gary, who better get signed IMO to long deal...Preston's deal is very good and very affordable for a starting edge that is still producing but I suspect if we hit reset/rebuild Preston might be a guy we move (especially if he wants moved). Kingsley has shown immense promise but I really would like to leave Day 2 of this draft with an edge defender being one of our picks. It is quite a solid draft IMO and I like quite a few guys (for another thread). At #15 you're in that solid territory of a high level edge rookie could potentially be added. Positional value places this spot VERY high, despite it not being as big of a need roster hole wise this position is in the Day 1 discussion, especially at #15 should we stay there.

Wide Receiver - Watson and Doubs both have shown enough promise for me to really foresee a future where those two pair as WR1/WR2 on any given Sunday. Toure may someday be that WR4 type guy, but what we are lacking is that clear 3rd option and if we rebuild/reset I could easily justify spending some draft capital on a WR. I personally don't necessarily believe using a 1st rounder would be the best plan at #15, but also would understand should a WR name get called. I personally would like a Day 2 addition...think Cedric Tillman, Mims, Hutchinson, Hyatt, Parker Washington, Rakim Jarret or Mingo...we can be open to all WR types (slot, smaller, burners or big blockers).

Offensive Line - Jenkins best spot is guard, Runyan and Newman both I think came in hot young but haven't progressed as we hoped, Yosh is going to price himself out of GB I think. Bakh is still a top 5 LT when playing, but if Rodgers leaves does he retire or request trade? Personally I strongly would love a bonafide Tackle that could start at RT or potentially LT day one being added...which means most likely first or second round pick. I know it isn't the **** positional pick, but at #15 we could add one of the three headed Tackle prospect monster of Johnson, Skoronski or Jones. All could start day 1 at LT IMO...or we could pick up in second - wait I'm getting into talking prospects and not just team need. Bottomline this like Edge isn't from a roster hole perspective (we could return Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom - with Rhyan, Newman, Walker, Jones, Tenuta all in house too)....BUT upgrading a positional group that didn't play as well as we need should always be something we look at. Positional value and where we pick makes this a viable Day 1 thought IMO.

Cornerback - I really like this class of CBs and I honestly think CB strength in prospects could cause Gute and Co to go this route, and move Rasul to Safety as a real chance at the answer. Is this a need position no if Rasul stays at CB...if we move him we need to add a 3rd CB behind Jaire and Stokes absolutely. Depending on the vision forward this could be a Day 1 pick option or all the way to Day 3 with justification.

Running Back - I said it before, it was the smarter decision to pay Jamaal to be here for two or three years at $3-4M a year than giving Jones $12M/yr.....and I personally just don't see a world we possibly hit a restart in GB with Jones deal still here. I'm not a fan of the structure of a restructure pushing most likely a lot into the future and if we are starting a rebuild without Rodgers I could see Jones carrying some decent trade value especially sine I believe we'd be on the hook for about $9M of his 2023 hit of $20M. 3rd round I think is higher than we should but could understand for the right prospect especially if we move/cut Jones due to contract. This is a need but not MASSIVE, Dillon/Goodson/Taylor I suspect if Jones leave will be the main three plus a draft addition.

Quarterback - Justified to start thinking of it if the right one is there in the 4th round or later. Whether it is to be the "new Love" to Rodgers or potential back up option if Love falls on his face.

MLB - We may choose not to resign Barnes....Quay is starting to worry me with his head screws coming loose and Campbell is at an age we could be flirting with declining play. This is a position of value type thing...right guy falls anywhere outside Day 1 I'd get the logic of grabbing but truly I think Day 3 type need is present.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wide Receiver - Watson and Doubs both have shown enough promise for me to really foresee a future where those two pair as WR1/WR2 on any given Sunday.

I'm definitely not as convinced about that to be true at this point as some of you seem to be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson has growth and progress. I can't say the same about Doubs. He had a few moments where it looked like maybe, and he's had more than a few where he's looked like nothing more than so many others that never made it in this league. So what is he? If he doesn't make a serious jump in year 2, we have a serious problem if we're relying on him to be paired in WR1/WR2.

we likely don't have Lazard or Cobb. Reliable, but nothing special. Now we likely won't even have reliable on the field. This team has to do some serious re-tooling at its playmaking positions this offseason.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely not as convinced about that to be true at this point as some of you seem to be.

I think you have a real issue rolling too much definitive nature into takes or thoughts. I've strongly suggested I'd love to see us add another WR this draft to pair with them. I'm not resting on both of them clicking and being what each were at their best (which were awesome at times this year for both) in future years + better.

There are a TON of WRs of different styles and types I'd love to pair with them both as a trio thought process but also as insurance too incase one or both regress / struggle with injuries. If I was of the camp we have locks at WR1 and WR2 level type guys we'd be dumb to draft even on Day 2 as I support the guys I listed...we'd be better off waiting till Day 3 because we just need bodies essentially. Imagine how special it would be to bring in a guy that could push Doubs year one to our WR3 spot...

Both things can be true - they showcased at times being FULLY capable NFL level WRs in the league AND we need to add more.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both things can be true - they showcased at times being FULLY capable NFL level WRs in the league AND we need to add more.
But Doubs also showcased at times he's not. Last sunday for example. He had a game and half where he looked like he was coming around, then was out hurt. Made a couple catches when he came back, but nothing consistent and looked terrible Sunday. So what is he? I don't know. With losing 2 receivers we know what they are I think it's important we add something to this team that's a bit more on the known commodity side of things as a pass catcher. Doubs should be no higher than 3-4 heading into the season. he can play his way into 1-2.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Doubs also showcased at times he's not. Last sunday for example. He had a game and half where he looked like he was coming around, then was out hurt. Made a couple catches when he came back, but nothing consistent and looked terrible Sunday. So what is he? I don't know. With losing 2 receivers we know what they are I think it's important we add something to this team that's a bit more on the known commodity side of things as a pass catcher. Doubs should be no higher than 3-4 heading into the season. he can play his way into 1-2.

The one ball he is getting so much flack on cracks me up, that defender played that ball down the sideline about as good as one can - Doubs never saw the vast majority of the balls flight and the last twenty thirty feet I doubt he saw it at all till it was already by him and the defender - not saying he shouldn't have anticipated it better because he should have.

Also it was more than just a game and a half. He was our leading receiver of targets until he went down and he is still the only Packer WR not named Adams to have 8 receptions since Week 1 of the 2018 season. I am not in any way christening the man a bonafide WR2 but he at times just like Watson illustrate there for sure is that potential...and adding a bonafide skilled 3rd young wideout I'd love to do as both insurance and/or making an awesome trio for a few years on rookie deals.

Known commodities cost money and this team if we kick the can further are going to destroy this roster and teams' future to a degree we will literally be the new Bears/Browns/Jags for years...if we do what we should and part ways with Rodgers now before fiscally it gets worse (which if he plays 2023 and then walks it is WORSE fiscally) I doubt we are players in the WR market one would consider "known commodities" as many here would desire. Old veterans looking for a season or two more - sure, but anyone with real significant tread left on their tires are not something we should be going for. Adding a Top 100 WR prospect in the draft, even round 1 if we love a guy should be our main way of adding to the Watson/Doubs/Toure/Winfree(*I think he will be signed back)....then add in a veteran experiment type like Sammy was and if it clicks awesome if not nothing sacrificed.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched every game this year. Doubs had catches, he also had a lot of drops early. he has stats because we had nobody else on the field. he had balls taken from him for turnovers he had lots that looked really not NFL ready. He had a game and a half stretch where he looked like a legit receiver and then got injured in his first catch of one of the games. Might have been the lions in fact and was out. Came back and really only had 1 game since then and a lot of disappearing. and it can crack you up, but it's a catch WR1's and 2's make all the time in this league. Or have you forgotten all the sideline passes that zip by a defenders head to Jordy, Adams, Jones, Cobb, Driver etc over the years? If he can't make them, we need someone who can.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched every game this year. Doubs had catches, he also had a lot of drops early. he has stats because we had nobody else on the field. he had balls taken from him for turnovers he had lots that looked really not NFL ready. He had a game and a half stretch where he looked like a legit receiver and then got injured in his first catch of one of the games. Might have been the lions in fact and was out. Came back and really only had 1 game since then and a lot of disappearing. and it can crack you up, but it's a catch WR1's and 2's make all the time in this league. Or have you forgotten all the sideline passes that zip by a defenders head to Jordy, Adams, Jones, Cobb, Driver etc over the years? If he can't make them, we need someone who can.

Watson had four credited drops, Lazard and Doubs both 6. Again I think some of you feel you have to be all in on a thought or all out on a thought.

I've literally prescribed for months now to the concept of loving a 2023 draft where we leave Day 2 having with our picks to that point adding a TE threat, a WR threat and either a starting potential Safety, OL or a pass rusher. If I felt Doubs was the second coming for sure of Jordy, Jones, Driver or Cobb why would I feel this way?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson had four credited drops, Lazard and Doubs both 6. Again I think some of you feel you have to be all in on a thought or all out on a thought.

I've literally prescribed for months now to the concept of loving a 2023 draft where we leave Day 2 having with our picks to that point adding a TE threat, a WR threat and either a starting potential Safety, OL or a pass rusher. If I felt Doubs was the second coming for sure of Jordy, Jones, Driver or Cobb why would I feel this way?

You said
Watson and Doubs both have shown enough promise for me to really foresee a future where those two pair as WR1/WR2 on any given Sunday.

I was responding to that. I really think Doubs needs to be 3-4 heading into next year to feel good about anything on offense as the season starts. He has a lot to prove before he's a 1 or 2. After season 1 I see the same thing I saw at the beginning. Potential, but a lot to work on. Lots of guys have potential and it's never realized. we're likely down to zero reliable offensive targets other than a rising Watson by the time we hit draft day on this offense.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You said

I was responding to that. I really think Doubs needs to be 3-4 heading into next year to feel good about anything on offense as the season starts. He has a lot to prove before he's a 1 or 2. After season 1 I see the same thing I saw at the beginning. Potential, but a lot to work on. Lots of guys have potential and it's never realized. we're likely down to zero reliable offensive targets other than a rising Watson by the time we hit draft day on this offense.

Correct at times they've shown that potential. Doesn't christen that as I feel that is a lock. Example, Gary is a lock to be an elite edge rusher. Jenkins I knew year two was a lock for elite OL, year one he showed that potential. Another example...Stokes showed signs as a rookie that potential was there...struggled second year and then injury...

If you are just a guy, you don't produce like Doubs did this early. Now bum and a future WR 3 or WR 4 in the league are separated quite a bit. I'll gladly take if he grows into a Lazard type guy (WR3 with games he rises to potential WR2 or so level).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs basically put up Jarett Boykin stats. It was nice, it also wasn't without faults. Lots of guys have put up these stats and never did anymore. He has a long ways to go.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs basically put up Jarett Boykin stats. It was nice, it also wasn't without faults. Lots of guys have put up these stats and never did anymore. He has a long ways to go.

Far more rookies come in and don't do anything...dismissing what he did as nothing is in my opinion as ignorant as thinking you can christen him the second coming of Driver or such.

Bottomline both of us hope he is more the high points he had than the low...that happens we both will be happy!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Far more rookies come in and don't do anything...dismissing what he did as nothing is in my opinion as ignorant as thinking you can christen him the second coming of Driver or such.

Bottomline both of us hope he is more the high points he had than the low...that happens we both will be happy!
I'm not dismissing him as nothing. I happen to like him, but he's left me feeling very unsettled. mid season I thought, this kid is growing. Looked stronger to the ball, stronger with the ball. More precise. More confidence. My posts on him around that time will show that.

Sunday just left a really bad taste for me. I know they all have down games or stretches in games. Without the history to show me, he's better than that, all I have is the up and down and the inconsistency makes me hesitant to rely on him for much next year.

I'd feel much better if he was 3 or 4 on depth chart to start the season and with consistency earns his higher position. Our cupboard was bare, it's practically going to be empty without some serious changes.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not dismissing him as nothing. I happen to like him, but he's left me feeling very unsettled. mid season I thought, this kid is growing. Looked stronger to the ball, stronger with the ball. More precise. More confidence. My posts on him around that time will show that.

Sunday just left a really bad taste for me. I know they all have down games or stretches in games. Without the history to show me, he's better than that, all I have is the up and down and the inconsistency makes me hesitant to rely on him for much next year.

I'd feel much better if he was 3 or 4 on depth chart to start the season and with consistency earns his higher position. Our cupboard was bare, it's practically going to be empty without some serious changes.

Yeah it's going to be bare, Lazard didn't even just say Sunday was possibly his last but that it was. Cobb is gone if Rodgers doesn't come back and possibly even if he does. I strongly suspect a higher level draft pick will be spent and an affordable vet too (nothing flashy though most likely)...if Rodgers comes back we will kick enough cans forward to bring someone in .

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me it's more or less shaping up to be roughly the same as prior to last season, to some degree.

Of course before this season we had a pretty clear "#1" in Davante but IMO not any super obvious "#2" and rather a lot of guys who were probably more like "#3's" with maybe a #2 ceiling on their best of days. And then Davante left (and MVS, EQSB, etc) and we were left this season with no clear "#1" and a lot of guys who again looked more like 3's with a "2 ceiling" or some unknowns.

Now thankfully I believe we have in Watson a guy who can blossom into a true #1 for us with a full healthy season. But outside of that it's more of the same: A lot of unknowns, a lot of guys who will need to make some big steps to even be a "#2" for most teams. The "average" #2 pass catcher in the league this season posted something like 90 targets, 60 rec, ~725 yards, and 4-5 TD, while the "average" 3rd option pass-catcher came in about 65 targets, 40 rec, 500 yards, and 3 TD or thereabouts. Lazard, who was more or less our first option this season...posted a line of 100/60/788/6. That's basically in-line with an average #2 albeit a hair above. Then guys like Tonyan and Doubs (67/53/470/2 and 67/42/425/3 respectively) are pretty well smack-dab in that #3 range, if not on the low end. And of course Lazard and Tonyan are probably gone for that matter.

So we have a guy in Watson who should *hopefully* become a proper #1 and then a pretty firm #3 in Doubs with the hopes that he perhaps can develop into a #2, but no guarantees of course... and outside of that it's really pretty bare. Cobb is probably gone too (perhaps either way, but IMO 100% gone if Rodgers leaves), and while he wasn't a huge pass-catching option Big Dog is probably out too (So it's perhaps another conversation for another day, but that's arguably our two biggest blocking assets for pass catchers leaving) and there's also a chance that one of our biggest pass catching weapons in Jones is gone, too. Outside of that then by my count the only other WR/TE signed for next season would be Samori Toure, Tyler Davis, Josiah Deguara, and maybe Bo Melton (I don't know his contract status)?

So yea...it's pretty bare. I've been saying for years now that we need to invest more in pass-catchers and it keeps becoming more and more urgent IMO...at bare minimum I would want to see us spend some serious draft capital on at least one and probably a vet/FA signing for another, or a trade if it's right. At 15 I would be pretty happy with Mayer at TE and then a veteran/FA/trade acquisition to add to WR on top of that, but that's probably the bare minimum IMO...

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-Line should be top 3 needs. Nijman is a utility lineman not a starter so we need a Tackle. We need to be looking for the NEXT LT whether it's Tom or a draft pick. If we upgraded from Runyan I won't cry and throw a fit either Ocyrus Torrance, Ricky Stromberg are guys that bounce to mind.

Running back should be looked at THIS year: You can get a good speed back...the NEXT speed back within the first 4 rounds. This years RB class looks like the 2019 QB class. We don't have to get Robinson in the 1st...but Tank or McIntosh or the kid from UCLA should be targeted by round 4.

Linebacker: You know I love my Linebackers I won't lie about it...We need the partner for Quay in this 3-4. Campbell isn't young enough to be that long term. To'o To'o out of Bama by way of being recruited by Pruitt at Tennessee would look real good in round 3 or 4.

While yes I agree Mayer should probably be the pick at 15 if he drops...if Levis drops you gotta try it. If not Levis, Rogers out of Mississippi State can throw the ball all over the place...bit of Favre in him I admit, but we need some of that insanity at the QB position, Rodgers has shown us that over the last 15 years. Rogers can be gotten with a 7th more than likely from what I've seen.

Safety we need 1 or 2. If we re-sign Ford then get 1...starting caliber or real close that can learn under fire. If Ford leaves Safety could be the WR position of the 2022 draft.

Also I like Elijah Higgins out of Stanford Day 3 if for no other reason than we need a punt returner in 2023.

D

Deleted member 6794

While yes I agree Mayer should probably be the pick at 15 if he drops...if Levis drops you gotta try it. If not Levis, Rogers out of Mississippi State can throw the ball all over the place...bit of Favre in him I admit, but we need some of that insanity at the QB position, Rodgers has shown us that over the last 15 years. Rogers can be gotten with a 7th more than likely from what I've seen.

Safety we need 1 or 2. If we re-sign Ford then get 1...starting caliber or real close that can learn under fire. If Ford leaves Safety could be the WR position of the 2022 draft.

I don't think there's any scenario in which it would make sense for the Packers to spend a first rounder on a quarterback in this year's draft. In addition the Packers re-signing or letting Ford walk away in free agency doesn't make a whole lot of difference regarding the approach at safety in my opinion.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with the Lions defeat my off season addiction of draft prospects, roster management speculation and future decision debates is officially ignited....not ten minutes had passed last night and my phone dinged from two fellow Packer fans asking essentially.... "So, what are our needs for the 2023 draft?"

It is NOT an easy question to answer at this given time, Rodgers' future is not decided, many contracts are up, others must be re-worked or cut (Jones)....

This is merely my opinion presently for how the future needs to be decided and the needs presented roster wise in the post-Rodgers era (which is my personal most likely scenario we are facing):

To me Green Bay's needs are odd, I say that because positional value has two of our "bigger" needs as lower on the value spectrum and that is tight end and safety.

If you forced me into ranking our needs right now, I'll list below...but what I'll list is also relative to prospect values as I see them (draft classes), positional value, where we pick and what I've outlined I suspect might happen:

Edge *(only above TE and S due to positional value and need)
Offensive Tackle (only above TE and S due to positional value and need)
Tight End
Safety
Wide Receiver
Defensive Line
Middle LB
Cornerback
(this could cruise nearly up to the top IF we do decide Rasul to Safety is best for team)
Quarterback (insurance policy time)
Running Back
Kicker

Expansion on thoughts:

Safety
- Heading into 2023 we have an underachieving (albeit better of late) Savage still on contract (fifth year option pick up was BAD decision in hindsight), Tariq Carpenter and Vernon Scott. Amos, Ford and Leavitt are all hitting FA. Fact is money may keep us from Amos...Ford I think might be a resign candidate and Leavitt could also be back cheap for ST play...but a true bonafide starter would be incredibly welcomed in GB and the year to possibly make it a rookie is when we are doing a reset year post Rodgers. There are some solid safeties in this draft too...and a few that could be starters for us into Day 2...maybe 4th rounder on Day 3....this position just isn't one typically teams go high on and has proven over the years to not need as high a draft equity to have good players. Could this be the year we see Rasul make a shift to Safety if GB sees a top flight CB setting there? I personally would embrace that thought process and could see it playing out that way. I struggle to draft a Safety in the first round if we stay at #15 (I honestly am unsure any of this year's prospects are a top 25 guy)...but 100% if we would trade back to that 25-31 range (no 32 pick this year in 1st) it becomes more palatable.

DL - Losing Reed and Lowry opens up a pretty decent need unless Wyatt, Slaton, Ford is a group we strongly feel can solve it with just UDFA or bottom signings in FA.

Tight End - Lewis isn't guaranteed to be back, Tonyan either...we have the H back style Deguara back and the experiment that is progressing (albeit slow) in Davis will be here too. Drafting a day 1 TE1 is a dream and there IMO is only one guy that I'm 100% confident would be that in Michael Mayer. Sitting at #15 is rich historically for a TE...but also is right there where some of the better ones have gone. Positional value here like Safety says don't do it...however, especially a team losing Lewis and Tonyan most likely adding a Mayer that can block and catch immediately out the gate could lesson the offensive destructive nature of losing both at once. No other TE I have graded with a first round pick, but I do really like a few guys in that Day 2 level which I'd understand the gamble of not going Mayer in round one in hopes of nabbing (Washington, Kincaid or Kraft to name a few) on Day 2 (and pair maybe a Whyle or Durham type late Day 3 with).

EDGE Defender - We are set for the future with Gary, who better get signed IMO to long deal...Preston's deal is very good and very affordable for a starting edge that is still producing but I suspect if we hit reset/rebuild Preston might be a guy we move (especially if he wants moved). Kingsley has shown immense promise but I really would like to leave Day 2 of this draft with an edge defender being one of our picks. It is quite a solid draft IMO and I like quite a few guys (for another thread). At #15 you're in that solid territory of a high level edge rookie could potentially be added. Positional value places this spot VERY high, despite it not being as big of a need roster hole wise this position is in the Day 1 discussion, especially at #15 should we stay there.

Wide Receiver - Watson and Doubs both have shown enough promise for me to really foresee a future where those two pair as WR1/WR2 on any given Sunday. Toure may someday be that WR4 type guy, but what we are lacking is that clear 3rd option and if we rebuild/reset I could easily justify spending some draft capital on a WR. I personally don't necessarily believe using a 1st rounder would be the best plan at #15, but also would understand should a WR name get called. I personally would like a Day 2 addition...think Cedric Tillman, Mims, Hutchinson, Hyatt, Parker Washington, Rakim Jarret or Mingo...we can be open to all WR types (slot, smaller, burners or big blockers).

Offensive Line - Jenkins best spot is guard, Runyan and Newman both I think came in hot young but haven't progressed as we hoped, Yosh is going to price himself out of GB I think. Bakh is still a top 5 LT when playing, but if Rodgers leaves does he retire or request trade? Personally I strongly would love a bonafide Tackle that could start at RT or potentially LT day one being added...which means most likely first or second round pick. I know it isn't the **** positional pick, but at #15 we could add one of the three headed Tackle prospect monster of Johnson, Skoronski or Jones. All could start day 1 at LT IMO...or we could pick up in second - wait I'm getting into talking prospects and not just team need. Bottomline this like Edge isn't from a roster hole perspective (we could return Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Tom - with Rhyan, Newman, Walker, Jones, Tenuta all in house too)....BUT upgrading a positional group that didn't play as well as we need should always be something we look at. Positional value and where we pick makes this a viable Day 1 thought IMO.

Cornerback - I really like this class of CBs and I honestly think CB strength in prospects could cause Gute and Co to go this route, and move Rasul to Safety as a real chance at the answer. Is this a need position no if Rasul stays at CB...if we move him we need to add a 3rd CB behind Jaire and Stokes absolutely. Depending on the vision forward this could be a Day 1 pick option or all the way to Day 3 with justification.

Running Back - I said it before, it was the smarter decision to pay Jamaal to be here for two or three years at $3-4M a year than giving Jones $12M/yr.....and I personally just don't see a world we possibly hit a restart in GB with Jones deal still here. I'm not a fan of the structure of a restructure pushing most likely a lot into the future and if we are starting a rebuild without Rodgers I could see Jones carrying some decent trade value especially sine I believe we'd be on the hook for about $9M of his 2023 hit of $20M. 3rd round I think is higher than we should but could understand for the right prospect especially if we move/cut Jones due to contract. This is a need but not MASSIVE, Dillon/Goodson/Taylor I suspect if Jones leave will be the main three plus a draft addition.

Quarterback - Justified to start thinking of it if the right one is there in the 4th round or later. Whether it is to be the "new Love" to Rodgers or potential back up option if Love falls on his face.

MLB - We may choose not to resign Barnes....Quay is starting to worry me with his head screws coming loose and Campbell is at an age we could be flirting with declining play. This is a position of value type thing...right guy falls anywhere outside Day 1 I'd get the logic of grabbing but truly I think Day 3 type need is present.
Wow great stuff! Thx Ty.

Members online

Latest posts