2023 Free Agents around the league, news and signings.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't want to question Tyni since he does us all a favor with the track the roster thread but since he is on the above list I am going to ask. What is the status of Vernon Scott? Is he currently under contract? Is he finally healthy? I felt he was making strides before his injury.

Yup, he is still under contract through this upcoming. He’s been doing just enough to not be cut but not enough to probably earn a second contract yet IMO even if cheap.

Reaction score
I didn't want to question Tyni since he does us all a favor with the track the roster thread but since he is on the above list I am going to ask. What is the status of Vernon Scott? Is he currently under contract? Is he finally healthy? I felt he was making strides before his injury.
I was oddly thinking along similar lines. Vernon Scott has been hiding under the radar. I knew there was someone I had forgotten thanks

We also just drafted Tariq Carpenter at #228 overall. He saw 45 college games at Safety for GA Tech. Although I thought we might convert him to ILB because he’s closer to iLB size and he had pass coverage limitations. I think he just played ST.
39” vertical
136” Broad!!!
1.55 Solid 10 yard split.
at 6-3” 230lb.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yup, he is still under contract through this upcoming. He’s been doing just enough to not be cut but not enough to probably earn a second contract yet IMO even if cheap.

I'm not convinced that's true. While the Packers carried him on the reserve injured list all of last season after waiving him in late August he's not listed on their current roster and I haven't seen any transaction listed indicating he will be back. I could be wrong about that though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks Safety Ryan Neal just had his $2.6mil RFA tender removed, making him a UFA. He's 27, started 10 games in '22, and per PFF had a 85.6 rating ranking him approx mid 40's of all NFL safeties in '22. Would he be a solid vet, hopefully cheap(er) option to replace Amos?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seahawks Safety Ryan Neal just had his $2.6mil RFA tender removed, making him a UFA. He's 27, started 10 games in '22, and per PFF had a 85.6 rating ranking him approx mid 40's of all NFL safeties in '22. Would he be a solid vet, hopefully cheap(er) option to replace Amos?
I don't know a lot about him, except that he has been around awhile. What I do know is that the Packers are thin at the position, so worth kicking his tires if its a guy that they like.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a screw job by the team even though it is legit. They keep him off the market with the tender until later into FA. Then they cut bait when they can find someone else or they see the market has softened. Diminishes the returns he may have gotten a few weeks ago. Not necessarily this player but the idea in general is what I dislike.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about him, except that he has been around awhile. What I do know is that the Packers are thin at the position, so worth kicking his tires if its a guy that they like.
Gute will draft a safety. Not sure what round.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's a screw job by the team even though it is legit. They keep him off the market with the tender until later into FA. Then they cut bait when they can find someone else or they see the market has softened. Diminishes the returns he may have gotten a few weeks ago. Not necessarily this player but the idea in general is what I dislike.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Neal could have signed the tender, so he quite possibly screwed himself, by not doing so.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea. See Post # 65 in this thread.

D

Deleted member 6794

For the record, PFF had Neal ranked as the fourth best safety in the league in 2022.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is anyone else shocked that the Jets haven't signed Jake Kumerow? Rodgers said this about him, right before the Packers released him in 2020.

“Jake Kumerow has been such a solid performer for us for the last couple years. I love his reliability. I think he’s a fantastic, steady player who’s very heady on the field, he makes plays. He plays with a lot of confidence, and he’s a guy you love having on the squad,”

I guess a guy that caught 20 balls in 2 seasons made a huge impression on A-Rod. Then he went to Buffalo and in 3 seasons, caught 7 balls. :rolleyes: and some wonder why the Packers have tried to maintain control of personnel decisions.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He plays with a lot of confidence, and he’s a guy you love having on the squad,”

I'm quite sure AR12 was talking about the practice squad...front offices thought otherwise.

Once AR12 goes to the Jets, I'm sure Kumerow will find a new home.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm quite sure AR12 was talking about the practice squad...front offices thought otherwise.

Once AR12 goes to the Jets, I'm sure Kumerow will find a new home.
The Packers have filled both their practice squad, as well as their 53 man roster with below average WR's over the last several years. I was just making the point, Rodgers may like certain guys, but that shouldn't be an excuse for the Packers to have them on the Roster, unless they earn it. Nor should Rodgers get his undies all bunched up, when a "friend" of his, that he went to bat for, isn't retained.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just making the point, Rodgers may like certain guys, but that shouldn't be an excuse for the Packers to have them on the Roster, unless they earn it.

Completely agree.

The front office is weak minded and lacks backbone.

Because no one is in charge.

Of course AR12 always got his way...the Packers allowed it...

They resented him within the last few years and once Gute became GM...the cycle of passive agressiveness elevated.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone else shocked that the Jets haven't signed Jake Kumerow? Rodgers said this about him, right before the Packers released him in 2020.

“Jake Kumerow has been such a solid performer for us for the last couple years. I love his reliability. I think he’s a fantastic, steady player who’s very heady on the field, he makes plays. He plays with a lot of confidence, and he’s a guy you love having on the squad,”

I guess a guy that caught 20 balls in 2 seasons made a huge impression on A-Rod. Then he went to Buffalo and in 3 seasons, caught 7 balls. :rolleyes: and some wonder why the Packers have tried to maintain control of personnel decisions.
Well, he could just be the key to becoming a winning team.......in August.

D

Deleted member 6794

While you're adamant about telling everybody that you don't hate Rodgers it's actually pretty difficult to believe you when you post stuff like that for no other reason than to take a shot at him.

I don't have an issue with Rodgers stepping up for a teammate like Kumerow. It wasn't like he advocated for the Packers to release a much more talented wide receiver than him. That group on the bubble included EQ (37 catches since), Malik Taylor (zero), Darrius Shepherd (zero), Malik Turner (12) and Reggie Begelton (zero).

You should actually criticize Gutekunst for putting together such a terrible group fighting for the fourth and fifth spot on the depth chart.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cardinals All pro safety Budda Baker has requested a trade. If they can make this work it would be a great move for us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cardinals All pro safety Budda Baker has requested a trade. If they can make this work it would be a great move for us.
Lamar would be too but money my man. Not a smart move to take Baker on with that type of hit right now - would need to cut some guys.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch the guy with a 100 foot pole. In August of 2020, he signed a 4 year contract (through the 2024 season). At the time, it made him the highest paid safety in NFL history — $14.75M a year average. — $33.1M guaranteed. Now he wants them to tear up the contract and once again make him the highest paid S in the NFL. Derwin James deal is the highest, at $19M/year.

Great player, but sorry Budda, you signed a deal, got your guaranteed $33.1 M and now you want more, with 2 years left on the contract? So tired of these guys.

Members online

Latest posts