2023 Draft Talk

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was never a fan of Deguara/don't see him as a valuable part of the offense

Is there a possibility that could change this season-yes for obvious reasons

My point was that Higgins would have been a more valuable TE than Deguara on our roster if we would have drafted him-we didn't so IIWII...

LoL if folks don’t see what Deguara has or is and think a rookie day three just walks in and fills that role I’m sorry I just have to laugh.

I liked Higgins but there isn’t a world which exists that young man comes in and can do what Josiah does out the gate.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Was never a fan of Deguara/don't see him as a valuable part of the offense

Is there a possibility that could change this season-yes for obvious reasons

My point was that Higgins would have been a more valuable TE than Deguara on our roster if we would have drafted him-we didn't so IIWII...

But you're wrong about that. Because LaFleur's offense uses an H back. Replacing the actual H back with a WR>TE convert who wouldn't play would not have been more valuable.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to see any more TEs picked. I like what we did but enough s enough

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you're wrong about that. Because LaFleur's offense uses an H back. Replacing the actual H back with a WR>TE convert who wouldn't play would not have been more valuable.
No-I'm not wrong. You're missing my point.

I'm saying SCREW AN H-BACK.

We need to have pass catchers that can threaten the middle of the field, something Deguara has not shown he can do

Higgins could have been potentially a Jordan Reed/Evan Ingram F TE3 in our offense deployed to attack the seams and get big chunks in the passing game

I would say that's much more valuable than Deguara making a block on a WILL backer long enough for Aaron Jones to maybe get 5-7 yards off-tackle

Furthermore, we have a 250-lb halfback that more than likely will carry the ball more than our other featured running back (who is much slighter of stature) this year, therefore the need of an H-Back/lead blocker is minuscule. Any case being made for that position in the offense is one of vanity/loathing that we're not the San Francisco 49ers

But for the third time-it is inconsequential-because Higgins was selected by the Dolphins.

We can have a differing of opinion, but you're not going to tell me I'm wrong on something when I'm not...

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We need to have pass catchers that can threaten the middle of the field, something Deguara has not shown he can do

Higgins could have been potentially a Jordan Reed/Evan Ingram F TE3 in our offense deployed to attack the seams and get big chunks in the passing game

I would say that's much more valuable than Deguara making a block on a WILL backer long enough for Aaron Jones to maybe get 5-7 yards off-tackle

Furthermore, we have a 250-lb halfback that more than likely will carry the ball more than our other featured running back (who is much slighter of stature) this year, therefore the need of an H-Back/lead blocker is minuscule. Any case being made for that position in the offense is one of vanity/loathing that we're not the San Francisco 49ers

But for the third time-it is inconsequential-because Higgins was selected by the Dolphins.

We can have a differing of opinion, but you're not going to tell me I'm wrong on something when I'm not...

So you want to change the entire offensive scheme and throw the MLF system out in the trash….that is what you’d do to remove the H Back from the offense.

I mean you do you but I’m not ready to walk away from the system Love has known for years right before he has to run as lead.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

No I am going to because you are.

The head coach runs the offense. His offense uses an H back.

So saying “screw the H back and take another guy” doesn’t hold water.

It’s nothing personal.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I am going to because you are.

The head coach runs the offense. His offense uses an H back.

So saying “screw the H back and take another guy” doesn’t hold water.

It’s nothing personal.
I'd be surprised if Deguara has played more than 25% of the offensive snaps since he's been in GB

Not having that position on the roster is not throwing an entire offensive system out

That's a hyperbolic statement to make (granted it was made by another poster I'm just mentioning it here because quite frankly at this point continuously talking about this topic is silly)

If I was the GM I'd have drafted Higgins as a TE, and asked the HC to try him out as an F while also doing some of the H-back stuff within the offensive schematics as previously/currently designed

If he could do it while also being a vertical threat as a receiver either out of the backfield/in the wing position/in the slot/split out wide then Deguara would have been expendable

For the umpteenth time it's a moot point, and makes no sense to keep harping on other than to have a debate about who's right/who's wrong when NEITHER ONE OF US WORKS FOR THE PACKERS.

I am not wrong, and if anything you're wrong

You not only continuously dismiss my point just for the sake of argument but you're overvaluing a player that averages less than 15 catches and 1 TD in 3 full seasons as a pro

Josiah Deguara is not a Pro-Bowler-fact

Josiah Deguara has not been a focal point of the Green Bay Packer offense-fact

Josiah Deguara will not become Kyle Juszczyk in the Packer offense-opinion based on evidence

The H-Back position isn't valuable in the Packer offense-opinion based on evidence

Trying to win the debate championship on a forum during the draft is pretty egotistical, buddy

Just walk back your attempts at trying to have a football knowledge *****-swinging contest with me and let's leave this topic alone, because the horse has been beaten enough...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like Deguara and feel he has been underused as a pass catcher.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kind of like Deguara and feel he has been underused as a pass catcher.

Yup, and Love has hit him on passes a TON. It was very apparent his rookie year the high usage he saw early was what MLF wanted to do…then the injury happened and Rodgers didn’t like him for whatever reason.

When Tonyan went down I’ve laid out all the stats he produced down the stretch of that 2021 season due to having to be in - and that was with a QB that he didn’t have the trust of.

Now that it is clear we are going back to TE driven offense - hence the heavy investment early - and neither being a threat to Deguara’s role I fully expect his snaps to increase from approximately 25% to be more in line with other highly used H Back types and be easily above 30% and will have games flirting with 40%+

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, quite content with this draft. Ultimately, will come down to Van Ness and the TE's I think to determine if this is a success or not as those were the bold moves. Also, passing on JSN. If he's a stud and Van Ness is just a guy (which I doubt) then we majorly screwed the pooch.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of surprised at some of the udfa signings. Like I would have thought we’d grab Keaton Mitchell

Good chance now that he controls where he goes to an extent he doesn’t want to go where there is two cemented starters, one experienced back (Taylor), a draftee (Nichols), plus oober athletic guy on year two after PS (Goodson)

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good chance now that he controls where he goes to an extent he doesn’t want to go where there is two cemented starters, one experienced back (Taylor), a draftee (Nichols), plus oober athletic guy on year two after PS (Goodson)
I always forget about Taylor, but I also thought Goodson left the team because of something he said about play time or something. Either way, good point about him having say in where he goes, but I thought he'd be perfect in the Tyler Ervin role.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft looks OK to me. I sense excitement instead of entitlement as we move forward to a team concept instead of trying to live up to the privilege of he whom we’ve moved on from. I actually called moving down twice in the second round although I thought we’d move down at 42 but once we did at 45 doing so again was perfect!! Two free players!! I wonder about taking a ho-hum QB and a placekicker who was also pretty average when there were actual football players available that might have helped us out. Hopefully our scout evaluators saw something that is not apparent. If Clifford becomes our QB2 and Carson a reliable kicker, they will be good picks. If less than that I’d have rather seen us bring in some OL or DB depth/competition. Matt LaFluer is now THE leader of this team. Time to see what he’s got as the actual BOSS.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No-Sean Clifford just doesn't impress as a football player. He has no trait to make me interested in him as a pro. I would have actually been more accepting of us reaching in the 4th for Aidan O'Connell than drafting Clifford-dude is an UDFA IMHO. But I don't get paid to make those choices so like I said IIWII...
Clifford pick to me SCREAMS “Brock Purdy Effect”. Four year starter, “leadership,” no obviously outstanding physical traits, “intangibles,” etc.

Suspect if not for Purdy’s “emergence” Clifford is likely an UDFA