• Round 3, Pick No. 92: Sean Rhyan, OT, UCLA
  • Round 4, Pick No. 132: Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada
  • Round 4, Pick No. 140: Zach Tom, C, Wake Forest
  • Round 5, Pick No. 179: Kingsley Enagbare, EDGE, South Carolina
  • Round 7, Pick No. 228: Tariq Carpenter, LB, Georgia Tech
  • Round 7, Pick No. 234: Jonathan Ford, DT, Miami
  • Round 7, Pick No. 249: Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State
  • Round 7, Pick No. 258: Samori Toure, WR, Nebraska
Oh wow, that's great, thanks. Gluten must have made a trade to get one back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is for all of those people who say " I never use math, why did they teach it in school".
Yeah but I missed a trade, so it was 11.......
Just saw that the average age of 2022 draftees was 24.11 yrs. old. The previous 4 years' drafts had an average age of 23.06-23.11, so the '22 draft class averaged an entire year older. Glancing at a few of the 2023 big boards it appears that many of the top-40 players are Jr's or Redshirt-Jr's, and that the Seniors and Redshirt-Seniors are listed in the 40-200 range.

Guessing that the covid-bump will affect 2023 Draft and that the average age will be 23.5-24 yrs old, and then "normal" returns in 2024 with mostly younger guys?
Covid pretty much added a year of eligibility starting with 2020. So yeah, assuming a good number of guys leaving college after three years, this should normalize in 2024.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A 5th round pick for MVS? Isn't that where he was drafted? Anyway, that seems fair.
The compensatory is based on the FA's new contract in comparison to the average salary for that position. So it was his $10M/year deal with the Chiefs that got us the 5th round compensatory.

Reaction score
The compensatory is based on the FA's new contract in comparison to the average salary for that position. So it was his $10M/year deal with the Chiefs that got us the 5th round compensatory.
Not too Shabby. Got 4 years of decent use from MVS and got our Draft selection rebated? I like it

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not too Shabby. Got 4 years of decent use from MVS and got our Draft selection rebated? I like it
and...we got all that on a rookie salary, which for the 4 years, was far less than the $10M per he is getting in K.C.

If he can turn himself into a polished route runner, that can get some YAC with the Chiefs, it was money well spent. If all he continues to be is a one trick pony that catches the perfectly thrown deep ball, I think the Chiefs are going to realize that they way over paid for that.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got it, thanks Poker. Sometimes the comp pick is unknown until the regular season is over, right?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correct. At this point it is only a prediction. The guys that do the predicting are pretty good at it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've went on record before, but this thread fits to have it shared again. Michael Mayer TE from Notre Dame is the PERFECT TE for our system and future in GB. I honest to God like him more than Kyle Pitts because he is not just a WR playing the TE position. He literally is the closest prospect to Gronk we have seen since Gronk.

Speaking of the TE position...my early favorites are of course Mayer, but I really like LaPorta out of Iowa also.

Few more positional favorites:

Defensive Line
I love Jalen Carter from Georgia...had he been eligible this year fellas I predict there was a chance three DL from Georgia go in the first round - he is a lock for first round next year for sure and we will be losing Reed and Lowry most likely. Love to bring in another Dawg.

CBs
Joey Porter Jr
out of Penn State...the pedigree, the size (6'2") the production (2021 - 51 tackles/1 INT/4PDs)
Clark Phillips of the Utes doesn't have the size of a prototypical outside CB, but I love this young man and really feel if he declares he can and will garner a serious chance for inside or outside at the next level. In just two years at Utah dude has put up 86 tackles/1FF/3INTs/2TDs/15PDs - PLAYMAKER and DISRUPTER. His coming out game for most was the 45-48 loss to OSU in the Rose Bowl last year...dude had 5 tackles/1FF/1INT/1PD and all game was shutting down high high profile WRs.

Safeties
Brandon Joseph
from Notre Dame via transfer from Northwestern I think is a surefire lock as a future safety in the league. In just the last two seasons he has amassed 131 tackles, 6 PDs, 9 INTs and a sack chipped in. Look at his production in three of his highest profile games from 2021 (Michigan/Iowa/Wisconsin) posting 28 tackles/1INT/1PD/1Sack. He not only produces when he should, he produces when he must.

WRs
So...welcome to the game Jordan Addison for most 2021 was his coming out year, but I still remember when they hosted ND in 2020 and he caught my eye. There was a few times where he wiggled free and just wasn't seen or Kyle Hamilton made up for coverage woes a time or two as well disrupting a few. Addison in that first year amassed 666 yards on 60 catches and 4 TDs...BUT 2021 FOLKS this cat put up 1,593 yards (w/bowl) on 100 catches and SEVENTEEN touchdowns. Production, production, production. I see him almost as the more athletic Kyle Phillips (UCLA this year) from this year with far more YAC potential as well. He isn't a pure slot either to me. The key will be seeing if he can put up solid numbers now that Pickett won't be the guy throwing him the ball...he does that there is a serious chance this cat could declare and will easily be a Top 50 prospect.
Dontayvion Wicks from VA is grossly intriguing to me. This cat put up a freaking eye popping 21.1 yards per catch...and it wasn't on limited targets. 57 receptions - 1,203 yards - 9 TDs in 2021. I could see a world where Wicks makes Armstrong on a lot more radars...while also proving he could potentially be one of the first dozen or so WRs gone if he declares - which I think he does.
Tyrese Chambers is a darkhorse for me to prove to be a Day 2 level WR. Quite the route to the "big time" he started at JUCO, then Sacred Heart FCS school gave him a shot and he was a finalist for the Jerry Rice Award (top freshman of FCS)...last year after coming to FIU he put up 1,074 yards on 45 receptions and produced an eye popping 23.9 YPC (9TDs too). At 6'1" and used to moving in and out it seems I'm excited to see if he can produced another solid year in 2022.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've went on record before, but this thread fits to have it shared again. Michael Mayer TE from Notre Dame is the PERFECT TE for our system and future in GB.
When I opened this thread I did a quick search of top prospects in 2022 and saw Mayer's name. So I watched some film and read up. I totally would love to see him on the Packers roster. If he continues to progress though, the Packers are either going to have to have a bad 2022 season and get a top 15 pick as a result or trade up. Mayer could go really early in round 1.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any RB's or Edge guys you're keying in on?

Well I mean the clear #1 Edge guy for me is most likely going to be Will Anderson Jr from Bama for me. That kid is special. Few others to keep eyes and ears out for IMO that I find intriguing are Nolan Smith from Georgia I feel could be something special now being more a center piece. Look for Trenton Simpson to catch fire for many as well from Clemson and possibly be a young declaration..that cat in two years at Clemson has put forth 83 tackles, 10 sacks, 1 FF and 2 PDs - he is athletic diverse OLB prospect. Isaiah Foskey is an edge guy that does both hand down and 2 tech stance and PRODUCES...last year at ND he put forth 52 sacks/11sacks/6FF/2FR/1PD and this was after a solid 2020 even as more a role player. Foskey is a favorite of mine and I'd be pumped if he had a G on his helmet (HIGH CHARACTER DUDE TOO!!). More exist but just throwing out three of my favorite names from bigger schools.

Running backs...my early guys I've added to my sheets to keep track of and delve into are:
Bijan Robinson from Texas
Tank Bigsby from Auburn
Zach Charbonnet out of UCLA
Sean Tucker from Syracuse
Chris Tyree from ND

Two I'll share that some might not recognize are Deuce Vaughn from Kansas State...a dual threat productive beast for the Wildcats last season in 2021 amassing; 1404 yards on the ground with a 6.0 per attempt (18 TD rushing) AND 468 yards through the air (4 TD receptions). Lew Nichols from Central Michigan I think could be special as well as a dual threat compliment to AJ Dillon's pounding nature...his 2021 season saw him amass 1,848 yards and a 5.4 yards per rate with 16 TDs AND 338 receiving yards with 2 TDs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I opened this thread I did a quick search of top prospects in 2022 and saw Mayer's name. So I watched some film and read up. I totally would love to see him on the Packers roster. If he continues to progress though, the Packers are either going to have to have a bad 2022 season and get a top 15 pick as a result or trade up. Mayer could go really early in round 1.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Pretty incredible footwork for a big guy. If you just watch his feet off the line you'd swear he was a 190 lb wide out. And yeah, this guy is top 15, probably top 10.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty incredible footwork for a big guy. If you just watch his feet off the line you'd swear he was a 190 lb wide out. And yeah, this guy is top 15, probably top 10.
Honestly If Gute had wanted to trade our 22 or 28 for a future first in order to have two firsts in 2023 with Mayer specifically being the motivation I'd of supported it 100%. I truly think Mayer is a consistent 700 yard 7 TD type TE that can block as his floor.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly If Gute had wanted to trade our 22 or 28 for a future first in order to have two firsts in 2023 with Mayer specifically being the motivation I'd of supported it 100%. I truly think Mayer is a consistent 700 yard 7 TD type TE that can block as his floor.
I always want the Packers to have a great season, so I hope they pick 32nd in the 2023 draft. Getting Mayer would probably be impossible from that position. So short of injury or an off field red flag, I'm going to assume he is going to be unavailable for us.

The QB and RB classes are supposed to be pretty loaded for 2023. If Rodgers retires and Love can't step up his game and or is traded, QB might be something the Packers are looking for in 2023.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always want the Packers to have a great season, so I hope they pick 32nd in the 2023 draft. Getting Mayer would probably be impossible from that position. So short of injury or an off field red flag, I'm going to assume he is going to be unavailable for us.

The QB and RB classes are supposed to be pretty loaded for 2023. If Rodgers retires and Love can't step up his game and or is traded, QB might be something the Packers are looking for in 2023.

Say Rodgers does retire and Love is still here I wouldn't be shocked with a 2nd or 3rd rounder going to a QB. Backup option should Love faulter and show no future when "the man" but also allows high picks to also be used to build supporting cast around him on either side of the ball.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say Rodgers does retire and Love is still here I wouldn't be shocked with a 2nd or 3rd rounder going to a QB. Backup option should Love faulter and show no future when "the man" but also allows high picks to also be used to build supporting cast around him on either side of the ball.
I'm willing to give Love a small slice of the benefit off the doubt, but I just don't see him rising to be Rodger's replacement. He's had three years to make an impression. If he can't dominate in practice or in PS games, how can he do so in the regular season. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see it.

Depending on the depth of the QB class, and it sounds like it's deep, I wouldn't be opposed to a second round QB pick. The Packers have a well-rounded team, there are no glaring holes or needs. A lot can change with injuries, but depending on how Love looks this summer, yeah, maybe time to go in another direction.

Reaction score
and...we got all that on a rookie salary, which for the 4 years, was far less than the $10M per he is getting in K.C.

If he can turn himself into a polished route runner, that can get some YAC with the Chiefs, it was money well spent. If all he continues to be is a one trick pony that catches the perfectly thrown deep ball, I think the Chiefs are going to realize that they way over paid for that.
Not in contesting what you said but
I like we took our $10M to use at a bonafide All-Pro LB.
I’m pretty sure that was an easy decision. We potentially have 2 Probowl level LB for the next 5 seasons.

That really takes ILB out of the draft equation for a good while.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in contesting what you said but
I like we took our $10M to use at a bonafide All-Pro LB.
I’m pretty sure that was an easy decision. We potentially have 2 Probowl level LB for the next 5 seasons.

That really takes ILB out of the draft equation for a good while.

Only in the early rounds. I fully expect we will continue to draft high RAS productive ILB on Day 3 for ST play and immediate depth as we churn depth after Summers rookie contract, McDuffie as well or outplayed such.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only in the early rounds. I fully expect we will continue to draft high RAS productive ILB on Day 3 for ST play and immediate depth as we churn depth after Summers rookie contract, McDuffie as well or outplayed such.
Yeah that's why these predictions for what we'll need in a year are so dicey. Guys can get seriously injured late in the season and miss most of the next year. But there's never enough depth. And with the ILB position having taken on more importance in the last few years, it's good to have some depth.

Reaction score
True I shouldn’t have said “out” but more less significant in draft or maybe not a top need etc..

Seems like in most seasons we find good iLBs in that Day 3 area

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True I shouldn’t have said “out” but more less significant in draft or maybe not a top need etc..

Seems like in most seasons we find good iLBs in that Day 3 area
We do? Who? The starters are Campbell, a FA, and Walker, a first round pick. Which starting ILBs were picked on day 3. Barnes? He's just a guy. I have a terrible memory!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do? Who? The starters are Campbell, a FA, and Walker, a first round pick. Which starting ILBs were picked on day 3. Barnes? He's just a guy. I have a terrible memory!

I'd assume, although quite safely I believe, say he is speaking to the likes of Blake Martinez and probably Krys Barnes (UDFA but still).

Otherwise some quite serviceable guys that have provided depth play Carl Bradford, Ty Summers, Brad Jones, Desmond Bishop, Poppinga some of the more notable Day 3 guys that come to mind. There may be more, and I'm sure there are others in the same span that didn't pan out for even depth.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd assume, although quite safely I believe, say he is speaking to the likes of Blake Martinez and probably Krys Barnes (UDFA but still).

Otherwise some quite serviceable guys that have provided depth play Carl Bradford, Ty Summers, Brad Jones, Desmond Bishop, Poppinga some of the more notable Day 3 guys that come to mind. There may be more, and I'm sure there are others in the same span that didn't pan out for even depth.
Thanks Ty, that makes sense. I was only looking at recent drafts and hadn't considered guys like Martinez and Bishop. Bishop was great while we had him. Martinez was a great tackler, but not a great all around ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Got it, thanks Poker. Sometimes the comp pick is unknown until the regular season is over, right?

The NFL announces the compensatory picks for the upcoming draft in mid-March.

The Packers needed to make moves to win now this offseason. In addition trading for future first round picks doesn't guarantee being able to pick in the top 10, even by trading them to a team expected to struggle the following season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL announces the compensatory picks for the upcoming draft in mid-March.

The Packers needed to make moves to win now this offseason. In addition trading for future first round picks doesn't guarantee being able to pick in the top 10, even by trading them to a team expected to struggle the following season.

Oh I know and I get it, I’m merely saying I’d have understood the logic behind it is all.

Members online

Latest posts