2022 Free Agents/Cuts/Players of Interest to Talk About

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like most years recently, there is a wide open spot or 2 just waiting for some young kid to step up, show he deserves it and run with it. One of these years its going to work, just because statistically it has to LOL

There are certainly young guys on this team with the potential to do just that, especially after this draft.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Julio Jones is still the guy to sign.

Yeah, he might be washed up, but he's still a prototypical X receiver that is skilled and strong enough to beat press man coverage. No receiver on the roster can do that right now.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, Julio Jones is still the guy to sign.

Yeah, he might be washed up, but he's still a prototypical X receiver that is skilled and strong enough to beat press man coverage. No receiver on the roster can do that right now.
Beyond that, my feeling is that he's the type of player that still commands enough respect from the defense that if nothing else it'll help our other receivers out. He might not be the player he once was, but it's not like opposing DBs are just going to ignore him or play him extra soft or anything like that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just posted it in his thread, but the more I read about and watch Toure, the more I like. I think he could be the steal of the 7th round.

When I shared about Toure I wasn’t joking with how much I liked him and I see a poor man’s Lazard.

Pasted that below:

Samori Toure Nebraska (from Montana transfer) 6'1' 191lbs
A small school transferred to Nebraska to bet on himself against higher competition and it paid off. On an abysmal team where he was arguably their only WR threat he continued to perform and put up solid figures. Finishing the 2021 campaign with 898 yards on 46 receptions (that is 19.5 YPC) and 5 TDs. That was after his 2020 campaign at Montana where he put up 1,495 yards on 87 receptions with a 17.2 YPC and 13 touchdowns! I'm very curios to see how he runs and what his other measurables are at the Nebraska Pro Day as we have no data yet there...but look for where Toure if he is available in the 5th on...I think this kid has "it" and could be the poor man's Lazard of the future should Lazard just simply not be affordable at his tender level.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also this I know goes against some of what I’ve said but honestly if you push Julio say into that room, you gotta cut someone and Cobb may just be that person given the known ceiling has been hit already and between Doubs/a Rodgers/Toure our middle slot role will be found.

I think we are done in WR room for Gute barring injury honestly. He isn’t one to want to cut a very recently drafted WR, Toure can be PS saved but these others cannot

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When I shared about Toure I wasn’t joking with how much I liked him and I see a poor man’s Lazard.
Speaking of Lazard, has he signed his tender yet? I can't find anything saying that he did and I have seen where other players around the league are (or haven't yet) signing theirs.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No other team could sign him after 4/23, I believe...but he can be pissy & not sign until around week 10. IMHO he'd be missing a great opportunity to showcase himself as a priority WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No other team could sign him after 4/23, I believe...but he can be pissy & not sign until around week 10. IMHO he'd be missing a great opportunity to showcase himself as a priority WR.
Right on the fact that he either plays in GB or not at all. Just found it odd that there hasn't been any mention of it and wondered if the Packers were potentially trying to work out a longer term deal or Lazard was refusing to sign.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We talked a little bit about the players who we had in for visits and who we drafted... I believe we ended up drafting 6 players who we visited with (Wyatt, Carpenter, Toure, Watson, Walker, Doubs)...

When it was all said and done I think seven (?) of the guys we had visit had went undrafted.

From what I have last heard...

Bam Olaseni (OL, Utah) signed with Las Vegas
Jean Delance (OL, Florida) signed with Chicago
Benjie Franklin (CB, Tarleton St) signed with Jacksonville
Kevin Atkins (DL, Fresno St) signed with SF
Josh Thompson (CB, Texas) signed with Jacksonville
Jack Cochrane (LB, South Dakota) signed with KC

And we ended up signing Jahmir Johnson, OL, Texas A&M

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also this I know goes against some of what I’ve said but honestly if you push Julio say into that room, you gotta cut someone and Cobb may just be that person given the known ceiling has been hit already and between Doubs/a Rodgers/Toure our middle slot role will be found.

I think we are done in WR room for Gute barring injury honestly. He isn’t one to want to cut a very recently drafted WR, Toure can be PS saved but these others cannot
I guess it is perhaps still somewhat conceivable that if he isn't signed later on...if Watkins doesn't do much, his contract allows us to drop him without much cost, so maybe still a potential add there...

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would they rally cut Cobb after he took the pay cut and one of ARs guys was traded?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring an injury, retirement or complete deterioration of his skills, I don't see any way that Cobb isn't on the team. I think they are going to rely on him as almost a player/coach. Could see Watkins being released, but that would require all the rookies to really be shining in camp. Unfortunately injuries will probably have more to do with the final WR decisions than anything else.

Reaction score
I think it’s highly unlikely they would let Cobb go. He’s one of only 2 veteran WR in this system and with known production.

I think we might keep 7 WR and
1-2 on PS. If there was ever a season to keep 7 WR, it would be now to give a plethora of options and encourage a position battle.

Watkins, Lazard, Watson, Cobb, Rodgers, Doubs.
I can see Dubbs as a key option battling for primary PR.
I’d consider making a play on a receiving flavored TE (Cook etc..) on an inexpensive 1 year deal under 2.5M

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think it’s highly unlikely they would let Cobb go. He’s one of only 2 veteran WR in this system and with known production.
Agreed.

The "locks" would be:

Cobb, Lazard, Watson, Doubs. Add probably Amari Rodgers. I can't imagine Rodgers being cut loose, unless he's a known bust already and he just doesn't improve. Watkins has a clear path to be a starting WR, he just needs to stay healthy and click with #12. So that's 6, almost locks, barring injuries. Toure is going to fight like hell for a spot and he might be a guy that impresses enough, that they might not be able to get him to the Practice Squad. Good problems to have. Sure beats wondering if Shepherd or Taylor are going to be your #5 and if ESB is healthy enough to get a spot.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

The "locks" would be:

Cobb, Lazard, Watson, Doubs. Add probably Amari Rodgers. I can't imagine Rodgers being cut loose, unless he's a known bust already and he just doesn't improve. Watkins has a clear path to be a starting WR, he just needs to stay healthy and click with #12. So that's 6, almost locks, barring injuries. Toure is going to fight like hell for a spot and he might be a guy that impresses enough, that they might not be able to get him to the Practice Squad. Good problems to have. Sure beats wondering if Shepherd or Taylor are going to be your #5 and if ESB is healthy enough to get a spot.
Some of these things we don't know. Those 4 locks look good, but I don't see any official signing of Tender for Lazard.

With Amari, we could assume he stays because Cobb is supposed to mentor him. But he didn't really show ANYTHING last year

Toure could very well be PS. I'd like to see Sammy make the team as he's produced before in the NFL and he's only 28. We could get 60/800/8+ from him this year

D

Deleted member 6794

Would be interesting to see if TY Hilton would be interested in one more year, think he'd be cheaper than Julio Jones. Both would need to have a healthy per-game bonus attached to a modest base salary otherwise would be too rich for GB.

I don't think Hilton would offer something no other receiver currently on the roster is capable of. In my opinion that would be different with Julio.

While I agree that the Packers might be lacking a #1 WR, I have to wonder if they traded for or signed a FA in hopes of filling that role, who eventually gets cut? The current depth chart looks something like this:

1. Watkins
2. Lazard
3. Cobb
4. Watson
5. Rodgers
6. Doubs
7. Toure

"The Rest"

I expect that the Packers will carry 6 WR's, 7 is pushing it if they keep 4 TE's. Toure could be a PS cut and sign, but I doubt Doubs or Rodgers makes it to the PS if cut. Injuries could eliminate a player. Watkins and/or Cobb could become cut casualties if the young guys all play well in preseason.

I guess while the need for a guy like Julio or Hilton is still there, the logistics of it just got a bit more complicated.

I would definitely prefer the Packers to sign Julio instead of keeping Rodgers and Toure on the roster. As a side note, the Packers moving on from Cobb would result in an additional cap hit of more than $2 million, therefore it's not happening.

Good point, that there's a roster issue if we add another vet. Maybe "trial by fire" in TC and some well-placed AR scowls will snap this group of young guys into shape? Maybe we'll see 2RB's with 50 targets, 3 TE's with 50 each and 5 WR's with 60 targets each in '22? I know, wishful thinking... ;)

I fully expect both Jones and Dillon to get significantly more targets than that.

Some of these things we don't know. Those 4 locks look good, but I don't see any official signing of Tender for Lazard.

Lazard can't sign with another team anymore, he will be back with the Packers.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Gute is looking at leaks...not holes on the roster.

I think another TE added for Tonyan insurance is a possibility.

I checked Spotrac, there are some good free agents available. Blake Jarwin and Eric Ebron are out there.

D

Deleted member 6794

I checked Spotrac, there are some good free agents available. Blake Jarwin and Eric Ebron are out there.

I prefer the Packers to pass on both of them as Jarwin will miss the start of the season because of a hip injury and Ebron hasn't been that productive as of late.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer the Packers to pass on both of them as Jarwin will miss the start of the season because of a hip injury and Ebron hasn't been that productive as of late.
Wasn't aware of the Jarwin injury lingering. Ebron has been productive everywhere he's gone. He got supplanted by Friermuth in Pittsburgh due to the rookie contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If the Packers feel they still need a veteran TE as well as a Veteran WR, I would like to see them go after Jared Cook and Julio. Cook just turned 35, but if you look at his yearly stats, he hasn't slowed down much. He should come relatively cheap due to his age and he has familiarity with Rodgers. He also has been relatively injury free.

If Julio would sign cheap, with a mostly incentive laden contract and few guarantees, then get him in Green Bay. Although I have been wavering on that since after the draft. As much as I would love to see what Julio could do in Green Bay, I think they might have to play out the 6-7 guys that currently are potential roster worthy. But then again, having a vet like Julio, on the contract I described, wouldn't be a bad thing for production, competition and teaching all these young guys. As long as he stays healthy and meshes with AR, he is an immediate #1.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A buddy of mine said he's interested to see if Wyatt comes in and absolutely appears to ball out to the level many assume he will be capable of....and Gute and Co. feel an upgrade at the TE room or another veteran WR would benefit us - could Lowry be a cap casualty cut in order to bring in and pay someone?

I didn't flesh this out at all...but honestly Lowry did come to my mind on draft night as a guy that is probably motivated a ton to prove worth because his team went out and got Reed, now draft arguably the second best DL in the class....personally I'm not moving any of my DL because that group of 4 + Slaton I think have a chance to be special, BUT that is the one group that perhaps has "meat" to cut or change...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A buddy of mine said he's interested to see if Wyatt comes in and absolutely appears to ball out to the level many assume he will be capable of....and Gute and Co. feel an upgrade at the TE room or another veteran WR would benefit us - could Lowry be a cap casualty cut in order to bring in and pay someone?

I didn't flesh this out at all...but honestly Lowry did come to my mind on draft night as a guy that is probably motivated a ton to prove worth because his team went out and got Reed, now draft arguably the second best DL in the class....personally I'm not moving any of my DL because that group of 4 + Slaton I think have a chance to be special, BUT that is the one group that perhaps has "meat" to cut or change...
Lowery definitely could be expendable and it probably would be a post June 1 cut/trade. The numbers don't change with either scenario. Might be able to get a 6th or 7th for him.

Pre: 2022 Dead Cap: $3,988,0002022
Cap Savings: $4,084,000

2022 Cap Savings: $5,950,000
2023 Dead Cap: $1,866,000

So no real hurry on Lowery, but if they need some cap space and the new additions to the DL, as well as Slayton are looking good, he is a place that provides some spending money for sure. As you said though, I think he had a really nice season last year and with all the competition and this being his contract year, he may be even better in 2022.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lowery definitely could be expendable and it probably would be a post June 1 cut/trade. The numbers don't change with either scenario. Might be able to get a 6th or 7th for him.

Pre: 2022 Dead Cap: $3,988,0002022
Cap Savings: $4,084,000

2022 Cap Savings: $5,950,000
2023 Dead Cap: $1,866,000

So no real hurry on Lowery, but if they need some cap space and the new additions to the DL, as well as Slayton are looking good, he is a place that provides some spending money for sure. As you said though, I think he had a really nice season last year and with all the competition and this being his contract year, he may be even better in 2022.

Correct, I think given roster structure he is the only guy I feel could be a cap cut casualty depending on who we want to pick up because of the move. I haven't studied a bunch of other rosters to know if there is a specific possibility but be interested to know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Correct, I think given roster structure he is the only guy I feel could be a cap cut casualty depending on who we want to pick up because of the move. I haven't studied a bunch of other rosters to know if there is a specific possibility but be interested to know.
Yup, definitely gives the Packers some flexibility as the roster pans out. They may find themselves in a similar situation at OL. That of being very deep with some quality players. The big difference though, there isn't really any cap savings to be found there. It is incredible how cap top heavy with Bahk that group is. I think all but Bahk are on rookie deals. While you never want to trade away talent, if some of these young guys look really good on the OL, the Packers might find themselves with trade bait.

Members online

Latest posts