2022 Draft Romeo Doubs #132

Reaction score
Doubs is the first Packers rookie to win the award since Jamaal Williams (Week 14, 2017).
That’s great.
I saw that only 2-3 Rookie WR’s have exceeded his impact. He was slightly behind London and Olave and there were also names mentioned in the running for Rookie of the Year. That’s some really stellar Company!

D

Deleted member 6794

sometimes Jones can make his own way even though the blocking is poor. If there is just a little space. But Dillon can't go too far unless he has the original hole.

Jone's shiftiness in tight quarters makes gains happen at times when nothing was there...or nothing happens.
Dillon in tight quarters can make nothing into two yards against nearly any defender out there...but if nothing is there, he is again ONLY getting two yards.

They so special in their own right.

This season, Dillon has both regressed in yards before and after contact so far. I understand it's a small sample size but I expected more out of him as a running back earlier in the season.

The blocking has to be better and since imho it is more difficult for linemen to run block than to pass block; the better run blockers are who we should be going with and in the positions where they are most effective doing that. Decent run blocking is what opens up the play action.

The Packers definitely need to play their best pass rushers to keep Rodgers upright. I would like them to excel in blocking for the run as well but prefer them to protect the franchise quarterback.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though the offensive line hasn't been great to this point, they've done a fairly decent job of keeping defenders off Rodgers, and are slowly rounding into form when it comes to run blocking. We have to remember that it goes beyond the interior 5 linemen blocking on runs, to WRs and TEs getting chips on players behind the defensive line of scrimmage, to create more yards after first contact. It's going to improve as they season progresses, and as it does, the passing game will get better, and that will even contribute to the running game improving even more.

It's a process that takes time. In the meantime, the objective is to stay within the window of the playoffs, and letting the rest come to you as you go.

I do believe we may have seen the match up for the NFC championship play out between the Packers and Tampa Bay. They could well be the two teams left when they reach that point in the playoffs.

Of course, a lot of things can alter the course of things for both teams, between now and then. That's why they play the games every week.

Reaction score
In early OTA’s there has been a noticeable connection between Doubs and Love. The more I watch Doubs the more he moves like a higher end Pro Receiver. I see parts of several former Packers in his movement style. He’s got a mixture of James Jones and Davante Adams. Interestingly enough when GB drafted Doubs, James said that Doubs resembled himself the closest of any of the 2022 draft class. In April, MLF made a comment that Doubs has "some Davante Adams-type movement skills." I agree and I noticed this in several plays in his 2022 highlights reel. My prediction is Watson will get doubled more this year with Safety help and thus Doubs should get a nice increase in targets.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs is an intelligent receiver. He understands his job, and is working on those little things that separates the better ones from the rest. I think Watson and Doubs are going to be a pleasant surprise for the Packers this year. I think Love will seek them out a lot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In early OTA’s there has been a noticeable connection between Doubs and Love. The more I watch Doubs the more he moves like a higher end Pro Receiver. I see parts of several former Packers in his movement style. He’s got a mixture of James Jones and Davante Adams. Interestingly enough when GB drafted Doubs he said Doubs resembled himself the closest of any of the 2022 draft class. In April, MLF made a comment that Doubs has "some Davante Adams-type movement skills." I agree and I noticed this in several plays in his 2022 highlights reel. My prediction is Watson will get doubled more this year with Safety help and thus Doubs should get a nice increase in targets.
I think you're right about Doubs. And he's been more vocal lately and he sounds confident. Hope he and Love have great years.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs to me is more Mr Consistency while Watson is that Homerun type guy for sure.

Imagine a world where both become their ceilings…..

Reaction score
Doubs to me is more Mr Consistency while Watson is that Homerun type guy for sure.

Imagine a world where both become their ceilings…..
With an above average QB (call it top 15) I could see either developing into a 1,000 yard receiver.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
11 WRs drafted above Doubs are looking up at him in yards produced since entering the league. ELEVEN.

Only 7 have more than him and all were drafted before the 54th pick...him...the 132nd.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
11 WRs drafted above Doubs are looking up at him in yards produced since entering the league. ELEVEN.

Only 7 have more than him and all were drafted before the 54th pick...him...the 132nd.
Hey Ty how tall is Doubs? He looked like a giant high-pointing that TD pass Sunday. The guy is a keeper.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Ty how tall is Doubs? He looked like a giant high-pointing that TD pass Sunday. The guy is a keeper.

Not a giant but no slouch either, his high pointing ability is excellent and was in college. He stands 6'2' listed, measured as a prospect at 6017 so just slightly under.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a giant but no slouch either, his high pointing ability is excellent and was in college. He stands 6'2' listed, measured as a prospect at 6017 so just slightly under.
Thanks. Yeah he plays taller. The guy can get up and over a defender and has great hands. Once Watson, Doubs, Reed, and Musgrave are all on the field together, it's gonna be tough to double anyone.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had someone scoffing at me saying Romeo is shaping into a surefire WR1 of the future....he laughed when I said he is on pace to possibly flirt with 1,000 yards receiving.

To which he responded: "That isn't even a big deal anymore, every WR1 is putting that up..."

Really....

As always let's look at the stats fellas....

Last year in 2022, only 22 NFL players can say that they had 1,000 yards receiving. One of those wasn't even a WR, as Kelce is technically a TE. So 21 NFL WRs were 1,000 yard receivers.

Just to be clear and of those 21 players, we had a few teams with duplicate guys - PHI / MIA / SEA / TAMPA all had duplicates. That means ONLY 16 teams had a WR get to the 1,000 yard mark.

Only 3 WRS can say they eclipsed 900 on three additional teams.

Bottom line Romeo is producing at a level that not even every team has on their roster. Not saying he's a top 10 or 15 type WR...but he is producing like a WR1 for sure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had someone scoffing at me saying Romeo is shaping into a surefire WR1 of the future....he laughed when I said he is on pace to possibly flirt with 1,000 yards receiving.

To which he responded: "That isn't even a big deal anymore, every WR1 is putting that up..."

Really....

As always let's look at the stats fellas....

Last year in 2022, only 22 NFL players can say that they had 1,000 yards receiving. One of those wasn't even a WR, as Kelce is technically a TE. So 21 NFL WRs were 1,000 yard receivers.

Just to be clear and of those 21 players, we had a few teams with duplicate guys - PHI / MIA / SEA / TAMPA all had duplicates. That means ONLY 16 teams had a WR get to the 1,000 yard mark.

Only 3 WRS can say they eclipsed 900 on three additional teams.

Bottom line Romeo is producing at a level that not even every team has on their roster. Not saying he's a top 10 or 15 type WR...but he is producing like a WR1 for sure.
I think 1,000 a yard season by any WR is a big deal. And I do see Doubs as very capable of reaching that goal. He is a very good, intuitive route runner, he catches well, and he plays much taller than his height, giving him an advantage in jump balls.

Anyway, hard to think anyone would think a 1,000 yard season is NBD.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope you are right, that Doubs is on his way to being a really good WR in the NFL, but I am just not ready to christen him as that yet and I know that isn't what you were saying (really good). With Watson unavailable for the 1st 3 games, Romeo has obviously been the Packers go to WR. That said, his stats to this point, IMO, don't reflect what I would want from a teams #1 WR. That could also be a statement about Love and the offense, as much as it is about Doubs.

Comparing him to the rest of the NFL WR's, here is where he stands in key stats. Keep in mind, Romeo has played in all 4 games, some of the WR's ahead and behind him haven't.

Receptions: 27th-tied with 3 others
Targets: 15th - tied with Thielen
Total Yds.: 35th
YDs./catch: 57th
YAC: 135th

Yds/game: 35th
TD's: He has 3, so do 10 others. 4 by 2 players leads the league.

Like I said, Romeo is progressing nicely, but I just would like to see more out of your #1 WR. His YAC and Yards/catch are very unimpressive, I hope that improves.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you are right, that Doubs is on his way to being a really good WR in the NFL, but I am just not ready to christen him as that yet and I know that isn't what you were saying (really good). With Watson unavailable for the 1st 3 games, Romeo has obviously been the Packers go to WR. That said, his stats to this point, IMO, don't reflect what I would want from a teams #1 WR. That could also be a statement about Love and the offense, as much as it is about Doubs.

Comparing him to the rest of the NFL WR's, here is where he stands in key stats. Keep in mind, Romeo has played in all 4 games, some of the WR's ahead and behind him haven't.

Receptions: 27th-tied with 3 others
Targets: 15th - tied with Thielen
Total Yds.: 35th
YDs./catch: 57th
YAC: 135th

Yds/game: 35th
TD's: He has 3, so do 10 others. 4 by 2 players leads the league.

Like I said, Romeo is progressing nicely, but I just would like to see more out of your #1 WR. His YAC and Yards/catch are very unimpressive, I hope that improves.

You cannot expect him to be putting up top 10 or so statlines when our offense isn't producing the yards needed for it however.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You cannot expect him to be putting up top 10 or so statlines when our offense isn't producing the yards needed for it however.
Which is why I mentioned that. ;)

That could also be a statement about Love and the offense, as much as it is about Doubs.

Again, I am not saying that Doubs, a 2nd year WR isn't progressing nicely, I would just like to see more YAC (from all Packer WR's) out of him, as well as a better catch %, which currently is around 61%.

Again, is it Doubs or is it the Packer offense? I think both need to keep improving.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Doubs and Reed alot. I think they are here to stay. Very good compliments to Watson when he can play 100%. Maybe Wicks too.
But Doubs, yeah. Great concentration on contested balls.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I mentioned that. ;)

Again, I am not saying that Doubs, a 2nd year WR isn't progressing nicely, I would just like to see more YAC (from all Packer WR's) out of him, as well as a better catch %, which currently is around 61%.

Again, is it Doubs or is it the Packer offense? I think both need to keep improving.

I believe now rather firmly that Doubs' floor is a James Jones/Allen Lazard level. Which is awesome - both of them at times were #1s on their teams, but of course best case is your #2.

His ceiling of course is higher yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like Doubs and Reed alot. I think they are here to stay. Very good compliments to Watson when he can play 100%. Maybe Wicks too.
But Doubs, yeah. Great concentration on contested balls.
I believe now rather firmly that Doubs' floor is a James Jones/Allen Lazard level. Which is awesome - both of them at times were #1s on their teams, but of course best case is your #2.

His ceiling of course is higher yet.
I hope my "analysis" of Doubs didn't appear to be saying that I was unhappy with him. I was just putting his stats in perspective and yes, the Packer offense is a contributing factor in his stats.

I agree, with a healthy Watson, Doubs and Reed, I think this offense will continue to improve, as will those 3 players. Having a healthy AJ, as well as an offensive line that plays better than we saw on Thursday night, will also help.

I watched some of the game last night and Daniel Jones looked pretty bad at times, but most of THAT was on an OL that couldn't block worth a crap. The Packers are going to have to figure out their OL without Bahk for the rest of the season, as well as for however long Jenkins is out. Because if the OL plays like they did Thursday night, its going to be a LONG season.

Members online

Latest posts