2022 Draft Romeo Doubs #132

D

Deleted member 6794

I know nothing about Winfree. Was he on the 53 last year or the PS? I do seem to recall him playing in at least a few games.

Winfree was released at the final cutdowns last year but was elevated to the active roster a total of three times before being signed to it in mid-December.

He ended up playing in seven games catching eight balls for 58 yards.

Winfree was a sixth round pick by the Broncos in 2019.

In a typical year a Rookie Wideout in GB is used somewhat sparingly, this season suggests the opportunities will be plentiful.

While I agree that the rookie wide receivers will receive more chances this season it's still questionable if they will be able to take advantage of.

If that WR room succeeds? it will put on full display his involvement. There is zero question that he has worked with minimal resources in comparison with the league. It’s not going to stop him though, he’s going to perform.

Rodgers has had a pretty good receiving corps for most of his career.

Lazard has been more consistent or similar than the guys named Nelson, Jones, Adams of recent memory in his first three seasons (and they didn't have the BEST WR in the game arguably in front of them like he did). Look below who is who here, this is the first three seasons of Nelson, Jones, Adams and the last three of Lazard (essentially his first three after the first "year being one game active"):

GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTDR/GY/GCtch%Y/Tgt
4538281163192611.82163.6242.8058.01%6.85
421417299139014.0482.3633.1057.56%8.08
4125158108144113.34142.6335.1568.35%9.12
456149100126812.6862.2228.1867.11%8.51

I bet you will be shocked when you look at this and see which one is Lazard compared to the others.

I think you need to include Lazard's rookie season into consideration though. While he didn't play a significant amount of snaps he spent the entire season on an NFL team. In addition those numbers don't guarantee he will be ready to take the next step once being asked to.

All this excitement about Doubs has me thinking that we should have passed on Watson and used the 2nd round picks on a QB and a kicker . :cool::coffee:

Finally a reasonable suggestion replacing Crosby with a second rounder ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
LoL not at all for me, passing on Watson that is. However don’t be shocked if Doubs is as good as I suspect and many fans do start giving Gute hard time on Watson.
Guessing that you know I was joking. I really like Watson, but think his injury will slow up what was probably going to be a learning year anyway. Once the draft is over, where a player was drafted stops mattering, it is what he does on the field. So far, Doubs sounds like he is proving to be a quick learner and possibly a decent NFL WR.

Sounds like Amari Rodgers lost some weight and got into a lot better shape over the off season. Was disappointing to read that he didn't do a lot of working out prior to his rookie year and always felt out of shape. Hope his new body and mindset elevates him, he is going to need it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winfree was released at the final cutdowns last year but was elevated to the active roster a total of three times before being signed to it in mid-December.

While I agree that the rookie wide receivers will receive more chances this season it's still questionable if they will be able to take advantage of.

I think you need to include Lazard's rookie season into consideration though. While he didn't play a significant amount of snaps he spent the entire season on an NFL team. In addition those numbers don't guarantee he will be ready to take the next step once being asked to.

Thanks for the info on Winfree. Based on that, and unless he's lighting it up in camp, I don't see him on the 53.

You're right about Lazard. We don't know if we've already seen his best. He has some decent competition and we'll find out soon whether he can rise from the #3 WR position - or whether he can even stay there.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lol Lazard played in one game. One

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the nickname Eric Stokes has given Romeo Doubs... "The Quiet Assassin". He makes plays, doesn't talk trash or gloat, just fist & chest bumps a few offensive pals, goes back to the huddle and continues making plays. :)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the nickname Eric Stokes has given Romeo Doubs... "The Quiet Assassin". He makes plays, doesn't talk trash or gloat, just fist & chest bumps a few offensive pals, goes back to the huddle and continues making plays. :)
I like a kid that does it, then goes back to the huddle to do it again. No grandstanding necessary.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Stokes respects Doubs. That's good, because Stokes is a pretty good CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for the info on Winfree. Based on that, and unless he's lighting it up in camp, I don't see him on the 53.

In my opinion Winfree has a chance to end up being the sixth receiver on the depth chart. I agree he needs to make plays in practice and preseason games to make the roster though.

Lol Lazard played in one game. One

True, but you still have to consider that Lazard was on an NFL team for all of his rookie season. He didn't play because he wasn't good enough though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard showed some good moves when he wasn't injured. He could become a decent target. Jury is out on that one. Winfree is one of the guys caught up in that last two or three spots on the roster for receivers. It's anybody's guess who will end up staying, and if anyone will be stashed on the practice squad. If they want to enhance their opportunity of staying, they need to factor themselves into special teams, and play like there was no tomorrow, because that's going to be how it plays out for some guys.

Rest assured, special teams are part of every equation they factor in this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Barring injury, I have to believe that the final group of WR's will like this. They are not ordered in any particular way, since I think THAT is what preseason will determine.

- Cobb
- Lazard
- Watkins
- Watson
- Doubs
- Rodgers

- Toure
- Winfree
- Taylor
- Davis

Now I could see a case of keeping 7, if they only keep 3 TE's with Tonyan still on PUP. 3 potential "surprise" cuts would be Rodgers, Watkins or Cobb. I really don't think that will happen, unless someone from the bottom 4 really jumps out as a solid WR or as Voyageur pointed out, on special teams. Way too early to give up on Amari and it sounds like he is in much better shape and showing it. Watkins has way too much experience, in a group that lacks it. Cobb is Rodgers buddy and relief valve, can't see Gute risking pissing Aaron off with that cut.

The competition that I am more interested in with the WR's, is who gets the starting 3 spots. Right now Lazard and Watkins are probably the favorites for the 2 WO positions. With Cobb playing in the slot. I can see a more run heavy lineup with 2 TE's and only 2 WR's, at least more often than we are used to seeing.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring injury, I have to believe that the final group of WR's will like this. They are not ordered in any particular way, since I think THAT is what preseason will determine.

- Cobb
- Lazard
- Watkins
- Watson
- Doubs
- Rodgers

- Toure
- Winfree
- Taylor
- Davis

Now I could see a case of keeping 7, if they only keep 3 TE's with Tonyan still on PUP. 3 potential "surprise" cuts would be Rodgers, Watkins or Cobb. I really don't think that will happen, unless someone from the bottom 4 really jumps out as a solid WR or as Voyageur pointed out, on special teams. Way too early to give up on Amari and it sounds like he is in much better shape and showing it. Watkins has way too much experience, in a group that lacks it. Cobb is Rodgers buddy and relief valve, can't see Gute risking pissing Aaron off with that cut.

The competition that I am more interested in with the WR's, is who gets the starting 3 spots. Right now Lazard and Watkins are probably the favorites for the 2 WO positions. With Cobb playing in the slot. I can see a more run heavy lineup with 2 TE's and only 2 WR's, at least more often than we are used to seeing.

Honestly if you're order of first off is as stated I'd only switch Winfree and Toure solely because I think Toure is safe on a PS, Winfree however has game film out there and could be a flyer pick up.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly if you're order of first off is as stated I'd only switch Winfree and Toure solely because I think Toure is safe on a PS, Winfree however has game film out there and could be a flyer pick up.
I wouldn't consider Winfree's stats since 2019 of:

8 catches, 58 yds, 7.3 yd/catch and 0 TD's as much game film.

Preseason will have a lot to do with the decision between Winfree and Toure. If I had to make the decision today, I would cut Winfree and keep Toure, but that is just me. Winfree is exactly the kind of player that we have been seeing at the bottom 1-3 spots of the depth chart for the last few years, been around awhile, given a few chances, but hasn't shined. Unlike those seasons, I hope the decision(s) surrounding the WR group of who to keep and who another team will snap up, is a really difficult one this year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Preseason will have a lot to do with the decision between Winfree and Toure. If I had to make the decision today, I would cut Winfree and keep Toure, but that is just me. Winfree is exactly the kind of player that we have been seeing at the bottom 1-3 spots of the depth chart for the last few years, been around awhile, given a few chances, but hasn't shined. Unlike those seasons, I hope the decision(s) surrounding the WR group of who to keep and who another team will snap up, is a really difficult one this year.

No no I'm not talking about Winfree's entire career. Last year when called on he has good tape now that is out there is all I'm saying. Honestly I'd try and stash both on PS truthfully.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No no I'm not talking about Winfree's entire career. Last year when called on he has good tape now that is out there is all I'm saying. Honestly I'd try and stash both on PS truthfully.
Baring injuries to other WR's ahead of him, Winfree is going to have to have an amazing preseason, for me to want to see him make the 53. Again, we have seen so many of these kinds of guys in Green Bay. Only reason they saw action was a weak WR room and injuries. PS for both him and Toure sounds about right.

I'm still questioning the use of "good tape". 3 of his 8 career catches came in the final regular season game against the Lions. You might be referring to the Cards game? 4 of his 8 catches for 30 yards came against them when both Adams and Lazard were out. The WR's that night only accounted for 64 of the 184 yds in the air. I wouldn't put too much stock in either of those games.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Baring injuries to other WR's ahead of him, Winfree is going to have to have an amazing preseason, for me to want to see him make the 53. Again, we have seen so many of these kinds of guys in Green Bay. Only reason they saw action was a weak WR room and injuries. PS for both him and Toure sounds about right.

I'm still questioning the use of "good tape". 3 of his 8 career catches came in the final regular season game against the Lions. You might be referring to the Cards game? 4 of his 8 catches for 30 yards came against them when both Adams and Lazard were out. The WR's that night only accounted for 64 of the 184 yds in the air. I wouldn't put too much stock in either of those games.

Go back to the games and watch him beyond the plays he was targeted. Watch his routes and most importantly the blocking he exhibited. You are not talking about a guy teams will target to trade for type level, but he is the exact thing GB targets off other PS that shows glimpses of something being there.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo
Imo every team has 2 players just like Winfree and Toure that they would want to stash on the PS. Not saying one isn't better just that they are nothing special.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo

Imo every team has 2 players just like Winfree and Toure that they would want to stash on the PS. Not saying one isn't better just that they are nothing special.
Yeah unless something happens in camp that shows these guys have broken out, I doubt they'd have trouble clearing waivers and being placed on the PS. And if they did get claimed, to your point, there are a lotta guys out there like this. They come in handy when there are injuries, or if the coach just wants to give a player some snaps or a series off.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah unless something happens in camp that shows these guys have broken out, I doubt they'd have trouble clearing waivers and being placed on the PS. And if they did get claimed, to your point, there are a lotta guys out there like this. They come in handy when there are injuries, or if the coach just wants to give a player some snaps or a series off.
I also think teams like their own guys. For the most part they chose them over any other players to begin with so it stands to reason they might prefer to keep them over grabbing someone from another team.

Reaction score
I still think in a season with questions at WR combined with 3 draft picks? Its a good chance we end up with 7 + (1 PS)
Lazard, Watkins, Cobb, Doubs, Watson, Winfree, Rodgers + (Toure)
Would be my initial guess.
Obviously someone could start the season with an injury designation and that may or may not change that final count back to 6 WR

I just don’t see Amari going PS, even after a tough Rookie season. I think a 3rd Round pick deserves 2 seasons to guage improvements, unless it’s something severe etc..

I know nothings guaranteed. However I have the chances of Winfree getting poached off PS at 15% or so. Also there’s a 50/50 chance someone else gets an injury designation and Winfree gets reactivated.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I liked about Winfree was his very good quickness. I think he can get open. If he keeps his eyes on the ball and holds on to it...then I will like him.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think teams like their own guys. For the most part they chose them over any other players to begin with so it stands to reason they might prefer to keep them over grabbing someone from another team.
Sure that makes sense. The team has spent months if not years teaching these guys the playbook. Makes sense they'd want these guys on the PS. Anyway, good point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey Poker have you heard anything about Winfree having a great camp? It was another thread but someone posted Winfree was taking snaps with the first team and Amari Rodgers was pretty far behind him. It's early in camp and maybe there is a reason for this. Just wondering if you have any info I haven't heard about. Thanks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Poker have you heard anything about Winfree having a great camp? It was another thread but someone posted Winfree was taking snaps with the first team and Amari Rodgers was pretty far behind him. It's early in camp and maybe there is a reason for this. Just wondering if you have any info I haven't heard about. Thanks.
That statement was just what I had heard on the radio, I have no idea. The way they made it sound was he has made some nice plays and is getting some looks with 1's, not that he is running with the 1's exclusively. The gist of the conversation was more about Rodgers being behind than anything else. But that was their interpretation. I haven't gone to any practices.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That statement was just what I had heard on the radio, I have no idea. The way they made it sound was he has made some nice plays and is getting some looks with 1's, not that he is running with the 1's exclusively. The gist of the conversation was more about Rodgers being behind than anything else. But that was their interpretation. I haven't gone to any practices.
Thanks very much Mondio - I forgot it was you who posted that. I think the key takeaway is that Rodgers is behind. Sounds like he made all the right conditioning moves in the off season. Some guys just aren't meant for the pros. It has less to with talent I think and more with making an adjustment from college. Most guys, especially higher draft picks, seem to do just fine.

Other guys struggle. Based on what he did at Iowa, I thought Josh Jackson would make a great CB. He utterly failed, didn't come close. It's not always about talent. The life of a pro athlete is not easy (and yeah, they get paid well for it). But at least half the year is 100% all about their job, travel, in and out of hotels, fatigue - and they have to manage personal things like the rest of us.

So I hope Rodgers makes it. If not, best to part ways soon, regardless of where he was drafted.

Thanks Mondio.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still hoping he has a lot to show. That was just the radio guys interpretation of it. They could have him there to keep everything low pressure, could have him there to give him a kick in the *** to move up on the chart. it could have nothing to do with him. Just want to see what others do in that spot.
I don't know. I'd think though if Rodgers was showing good stuff, he'd be up a little higher than he is. I hope that changes by the time September gets here.

Members online

Latest posts