2022 Draft Romeo Doubs #132

Reaction score
Doubs, Winfree are the “surprising” WRs but Lazard has been as advertised for years and Amari is rumored to have made a few exactly crossers in stride with hands out and not body catching.

I have said it before I’m hesitantly optimistic about this group….

Doubs produced in college to be a top 70 draft pick but wasn’t…he has a chip to prove mistake made there and to overshadow Watson.

Watkins has all the skills in the world just needs to be healthy.

Lazard has PRODUCED consistently when needed over the years…looking for pay day and prove he is what he thought to be by Rodgers and those in house.

Amari wants to put his freshman season behind him now comfortable and hungry to prove folks he wasn’t a mistake.

Cobb is in his last dance with one of his closest friends…he wants a ring for himself and for his buddy.

Watson doesn’t want folks to be pissed with them moving up to get him and that he is the best rookie on the team despite not able to be in TC at the moment.

Winfree, shined very bright with low expectations last year…has the size and the skill and is looking to get his shot.

Seriously….so much hunger and potential pay day years on the line I don’t see how someone or someones won’t step up
What normally happens is one of the more unexpected step up. Someone goes out for a couple games and another player shines.

Between MVS and Adams, there are a massive number of targets to go around this season. We have several guys that could easily be 15+ per catch by seasons end. #12 said it best. The question isn’t if?
it’s who?

Right now Romeo looks like the guy who is not afraid of the spotlight. He’s the kid that scored an 80 yard PR on his first touch in College. Top #8 in the FBS in average yards per game in 2020. Then followed up with a 1st-team All-Mountain West selection after backing it up again last season. That cat is the real deal, we stole him in later Round 4. From what we’ve seen thus far, I believe he was a #75 type overall selection overshadowed in a top heavy and deep WR class. Very polished and if given the opportunity could overtake Watson early in.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Doubs, Winfree are the “surprising” WRs but Lazard has been as advertised for years and Amari is rumored to have made a few exactly crossers in stride with hands out and not body catching.

Doubs produced in college to be a top 70 draft pick but wasn’t…he has a chip to prove mistake made there and to overshadow Watson.

Lazard has PRODUCED consistently when needed over the years…looking for pay day and prove he is what he thought to be by Rodgers and those in house.

Amari wants to put his freshman season behind him now comfortable and hungry to prove folks he wasn’t a mistake.

Cobb is in his last dance with one of his closest friends…he wants a ring for himself and for his buddy.

Watson doesn’t want folks to be pissed with them moving up to get him and that he is the best rookie on the team despite not able to be in TC at the moment.

Winfree, shined very bright with low expectations last year…has the size and the skill and is looking to get his shot.

Seriously….so much hunger and potential pay day years on the line I don’t see how someone or someones won’t step up
If nothing else, all these young guys will be playing their best ball, right about the time Rodgers retires. :coffee:

I am optimistic about these young guys future, but just given the track record of some of the Packers best WR's in the last 20 years, I am curtailing my excitement for a few years.

I will say the one aspect that is different with this group, they aren't rookies on a team that already has 2-3 high caliber starting WR's. So that should speed up their timeliness.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt the Packers receiving corps has potential on paper. Unfortunately it's still a question mark if they will translate into production on the field.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Doubs has been a pleasant surprise. I think the entire WR group sees the opportunity in front of them with Adams gone and they're all eager to earn a big payday next year (well, except the rookies, they'll have to wait a bit). And I'm sure Rodgers welcomes the challenge or he wouldn't be there. Along with an improved D, I'm looking forward to the season.

I know nothing about Winfree. Was he on the 53 last year or the PS? I do seem to recall him playing in at least a few games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers receiving corps has potential on paper. Unfortunately it's still a question mark if they will translate into production on the field.
I'm willing to bet that the WR group will surprise us in a good way. They don't have Adams in front of them and some are playing for a big payday next year. At least one of the rookies will produce, and that's what is needed to keep the cap manageable. You're right, they have to prove it. I think they will.

Reaction score
If nothing else, all these young guys will be playing their best ball, right about the time Rodgers retires. :coffee:

I am optimistic about these young guys future, but just given the track record of some of the Packers best WR's in the last 20 years, I am curtailing my excitement for a few years.

I will say the one aspect that is different with this group, they aren't rookies on a team that already has 2-3 high caliber starting WR's. So that should speed up their timeliness.
Well said Poker. I’m not suggesting it’s a good thing to lose your star WR or an experienced deep threat type. Yet their absence will not curtail the young players, it will expedite their growth. In a typical year a Rookie Wideout in GB is used somewhat sparingly, this season suggests the opportunities will be plentiful. It also seems like thus far, Aaron is being supportive of breaking out of our typical mold. I really think he welcomes the challenge to a degree.

If that WR room succeeds? it will put on full display his involvement. There is zero question that he has worked with minimal resources in comparison with the league. It’s not going to stop him though, he’s going to perform.

I’m excited to see what Romeo does. If he’s fielding Punt returns etc:. He’ll be active each week. That status equates to opportunities. I’m hoping he continues to make the best of them early in.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As a whole I agree, very unknown...however I 100% believe minimum one or two step up big time. Now as I've stated, that to me will be a big testament perhaps to who is throwing them the ball.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It isn't just a bunch of unproven rookies.

Lazard has been more consistent or similar than the guys named Nelson, Jones, Adams of recent memory in his first three seasons (and they didn't have the BEST WR in the game arguably in front of them like he did). Look below who is who here, this is the first three seasons of Nelson, Jones, Adams and the last three of Lazard (essentially his first three after the first "year being one game active"):

GGSTgtRecYdsY/RTDR/GY/GCtch%Y/Tgt
4538281163192611.82163.6242.8058.01%6.85
421417299139014.0482.3633.1057.56%8.08
4125158108144113.34142.6335.1568.35%9.12
456149100126812.6862.2228.1867.11%8.51

I bet you will be shocked when you look at this and see which one is Lazard compared to the others.

Watkins is no rookie and his only hurdle is health not ability, Cobb again if he stays healthy will be a 700 yard 7 TD type guy with his boy Rodgers.

Then and only then do we get into rookies or sophomores.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a whole I agree, very unknown...however I 100% believe minimum one or two step up big time. Now as I've stated, that to me will be a big testament perhaps to who is throwing them the ball.
Amen to that Ty. And these receivers, maybe with the exception of Cobb, are playing for their future in the league. Motivation is a good thing!

Reaction score
Amen to that Ty. And these receivers, maybe with the exception of Cobb, are playing for their future in the league. Motivation is a good thing!
Something else I’d offer is that we often have to peel deeper to get the potential of a group. Looking at what they did yesteryear in a different environment is only a part of the story.
Championship level teams most often brew for a couple years before they percolate and the whistle blows.”

Joe. You’re welcome to use that phrase anytime you need it as I just made it up and I used italics to make it seem like a great degree of thought was used :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It isn't just a bunch of unproven rookies.
I never said or implied that the current Packer vet WR's were unproven rookies. I just don't think they are as good of a group as what other eventual starting WR's had to compete with for snaps when they were rookies. Thus, Packers rookie WR's may get more playing time than guys like Adams, Cobb and Jordy got when they were rookies. While Lazard is a proven veteran, I don't consider him as talented as Nelson and Cobb were when Adams was a rookie. Sammy Watkins is a veteran that if he stays healthy, will still have to establish chemistry with Rodgers. Cobb will be Cobb, but I think we saw last season, he isn't the same player as he was several years ago.

Adams Rookie Year: Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, Janis

Cobb's Rookie Year: Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver

Nelson's Rookie Year: Jennings, Driver, Jones, Martin

Reaction score
Romeo Romeo! Where art though Romeo?
Busy burning Stokes for a TD again in 1-1’s! That’s where!

Stokes has a new nickname for Romeo Doubs.

“Quiet Assassin”

Stokes Saying “He doesn’t talk he doesn’t say anything, he just makes a catch, makes a play, does his little chest bumps with a few people and keeps it moving. He doesn’t Speak”

Love this Guy!
:ninja:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romeo Romeo! Where art though Romeo?
Busy burning Stokes for a TD again in 1-1’s! That’s where!

Stokes has a new nickname for Romeo Doubs.

“Quiet Assassin”

Stokes Saying “He doesn’t talk he doesn’t say anything, he just makes a catch, makes a play, does his little chest bumps with a few people and keeps it moving. He doesn’t Speak”

Love this Guy!
:ninja:

The dude also caught a contested (PI thrown on Gafford) corner of the endzone toss from Love to end the team period today too...got both feet down despite the PI.

This was all with pads on now folks....usually when we see the truth start to form more and more.

Reaction score
The dude also caught a contested (PI thrown on Gafford) corner of the endzone toss from Love to end the team period today too...got both feet down despite the PI.

This was all with pads on now folks....usually when we see the truth start to form more and more.
Makes for some Stiff competition. You know Watson doesn’t want to get overshadowed, so expect a fierce competition from these 2 guys once Christian is full speed again.

Simply a guess, but while Watson may indeed have more total long term ceiling, I believe Doubs is more immediately polished. He’s taking like a fish to water. I think about the Moore, MVS and EQ picks and Romeo seems a light year ahead of those guys (as Rookies).

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Makes for some Stiff competition. You know Watson doesn’t want to get overshadowed, so expect a fierce competition from these 2 guys once Christian is full speed again.

Simply a guess, but while Watson may indeed have more total long term ceiling, I believe Doubs is more immediately polished. He’s taking like a fish to water. I think about the Moore, MVS and EQ picks and Romeo seems a light year ahead of those guys (as Rookies).

I’ve been yelling for a while he is a better WR atm than Watson without question in my mind. He has proven production over more years with better competition than Watson.

Watsons took chest makes his potential ceiling much higher but Doubs is without question the better now WR in my mind and I said as much the day of the drafting

Reaction score
I’ve been yelling for a while he is a better WR atm than Watson without question in my mind. He has proven production over more years with better competition than Watson.

Watsons took chest makes his potential ceiling much higher but Doubs is without question the better now WR in my mind and I said as much the day of the drafting
Watson’s minor surgery might be just what Romeo needed to give him his chance. He just needs to remain consistent and continue learning that playbook. If he gains Rodgers trust early in there may he no looking back.
I’ll never forget how James Jones said that if this years WR class, Romeo Doubs reminded him most of himself. That’s really a huge compliment as JJ was a great selection in Round 3 (around that same area that Doubs is looking like he should’ve been picked)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You were high on Doubs right from the beginning, well before OTAs. Looks like you were right! Good call.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were high on Doubs right from the beginning, well before OTAs. Looks like you were right! Good call.

Too early to say that. I still think he long term does well but likelihood of him putting up big numbers this year is tough to think…I don’t recall what I rpredicted I’ll check

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too early to say that. I still think he long term does well but likelihood of him putting up big numbers this year is tough to think…I don’t recall what I rpredicted I’ll check
I just remember you liking the pick, and me thinking I never heard of the guy. And yeah the proof is always when they play for keeps. From what film I've seen, he looks good and confident. Maybe just a guy who slipped through the cracks.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just remember you liking the pick, and me thinking I never heard of the guy. And yeah the proof is always when they play for keeps. From what film I've seen, he looks good and confident. Maybe just a guy who slipped through the cracks.

So I actually predicted low for a guy I believe in, 225 yards is all I remember off hand. I’m thinking more and more his chances may come regardless of health of Watkins and Watson….he is exploding off the chances he has gotten and forcing staff for sure in the small window they’ve seen so far to really be thinking we gotta get him chances to keep confirming he is freaking good or he comes down to more expected earth if you will.

I’ll be honest if he keeps this up I’ll be thinking he pushes for close to 500 rather than barely breaks 200

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I actually predicted low for a guy I believe in, 225 yards is all I remember off hand. I’m thinking more and more his chances may come regardless of health of Watkins and Watson….he is exploding off the chances he has gotten and forcing staff for sure in the small window they’ve seen so far to really be thinking we gotta get him chances to keep confirming he is freaking good or he comes down to more expected earth if you will.

I’ll be honest if he keeps this up I’ll be thinking he pushes for close to 500 rather than barely breaks 200
I think you're right. And he seems to have one good practice after another. Would be great if a 4th rounder ended up with 500 yards. Gotta dream big.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right. And he seems to have one good practice after another. Would be great if a 4th rounder ended up with 500 yards. Gotta dream big.
Honestly a first season like MVS would be awesome (581) but would be expecting a lot seeing as how MVS walked in as arguably third best….Cobb, Lazard, and Watkins clearly should be better than Doubs…and Watson is a massive draft equity and will be given chance once back to be above him.

Don’t forget winfree is having a solid camp too

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All this excitement about Doubs has me thinking that we should have passed on Watson and used the 2nd round picks on a QB and a kicker . :cool::coffee:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this excitement about Doubs has me thinking that we should have passed on Watson and used the 2nd round picks on a QB and a kicker . :cool::coffee:
LoL not at all for me, passing on Watson that is. However don’t be shocked if Doubs is as good as I suspect and many fans do start giving Gute hard time on Watson.

Watsons upside was similar to DK…athletic freak (in a different way yes perhaps, but freak nonetheless). To roll dice on that in the second when you had the equity to trade because you had unexpected equity anyways is worth it IMO

Members online

Latest posts