2022 Draft Romeo Doubs #132

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the Vikings get the better of the second round trade? Yeah, by a little bit. But considering the weak bargaining position GB was in, it's amazing they got even that done. Good work.
Also, Green Bay has been so dominant that they gave away both 2nd round picks to a divisional rival in a deep draft.

Green Bay isn't worried about the other teams in the division, it's almost arrogance.

I love it.

Reaction score
From the limited highlight reels, it looks like Doubs tracks the ball well. That's an important trait in the pros. Both WR picks will need some work, but then so do most rookies. Overall I like the picks, all of them. Even tough he had 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, he got burned by the early run on WRs. He stayed patient and didn't overreach.

Did the Vikings get the better of the second round trade? Yeah, by a little bit. But considering the weak bargaining position GB was in, it's amazing they got even that done. Good work.
I’m on both sides. I didn’t like the collateral and I can understand that point. Would’ve preferred to at minimum switch Day 3 picks such as a 4th for our 5th.

Yet we have to have allowances for supply and demand. The WR demand was high at the top (Day 1) and the supply was medium-low. Once our #22 came around the best players available were mostly Defenders. Evidenced by 8 Defenders taken over the next 11 selections
(#22-32 overall). It wasn’t just the Packers there.. not 1 team selected an Offensive Skill position until our selection of Watson.

Then 7 more WR were selected by pick #54 overall (22nd pick in Rd2) That just shows you how dangerous it would have been to wait. We got the first WR selection of that grouping and it cost us ~100 points to do so (depending on which chart) you could say we gave away about a #100 overall type selection premium for the ability to take our first choice.
I think that’s pretty reasonable. Especially when we now know Pickens and Watson are likely gone before #53.

We essentially gifted MN a bonus 3rd Round compensatory

Last edited:
Reaction score
I must be bored. I went back and redid a few 2022 Interactive Mocks now that we know where the hot players went. Interesting exercise in retrospect.

In the several I did, I noticed both Doubs and Tom went in Round 3 to the computer model picking for other teams. It didn’t occur to me they’d go that fast.

Although I barely lost Watson getting greedy by trying to use 53/92 in a trade up instead. It just goes to show you how easily that ideal player goes away.

In hindsight, I really think we did good getting Romeo Doubs at #132 The model had him going in the #90’s overall.

D

Deleted member 6794

A matter of rules. Do you need to release a drafted player that hasn't signed a contract or would they just relinquish their rights to said player?

The Packers not signing one of the draft picks would result in the player reverting back to the draft next year. Therefore there would be no need to release him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs is being touted as one of the highlights of practice yesterday. Outside of his first initial handling of a punt (from the Jugs machine) being rough, he showed out why he was Nevada's playmaker. I guess a backshoulder toss from Benkert was a thing of beauty with his timing mid-air body control, turn and hands catch. I know many of us have said it, he is the more polished WR we took in the draft, his ceiling is arguably not as high as CW, but still watch out. Speaking of CW...guess he had some drop issues - which is not surprising, this was something of a concern of him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Romeo continues to prove the worries of not being able to do testing (arguably to me what pushed him to day 3) were nothing to worry about. Everyday through reports and readings Doubs is one of the impressive weapons of OTAs.

Yes it is OTAs, but what film is out there Doubs looks just as fluid and route technician as he did in college......this cat is going to push folks for playing time.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll add something which I mentioned a while back, but believe it was in passing.

Romeo impressed me especially when stacking two quite different seasons of 1,000+ yards receiving. His Junior year being a lessor known commodity blasted by defenders with his aggressive and fast acceleration off the line (his game speed makes you swear he is a sub 4.4 type). However, his senior year when Def. Coordinators started backing coverage assignments off deeper on him to keep him in front, he carved up defenses with one cut ins/outs and cut backs...then proceeded to illustrate the damage he can do after the catch.

This is one of the main reasons I am still in the camp Romeo is our "more ready" draftee for the 2022 campaign. Yes, I truly believe that - no that doesn't mean I'm ready to say I'd pick him for having the most yards between he and Watson when we review them both in three years....BUT don't be shocked folks if Watson is not the clear better of the two as we near the ends of their rookie contracts.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, nice smooth kid and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Toss in he likes to work, I have high hopes for this kid.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, nice smooth kid and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Toss in he likes to work, I have high hopes for this kid.

I said it somewhere I truly saw the capabilities of a guy that easily should round into a team's #3.

The main issue we have in GB is we gotta have a couple guys clearly become more than they should have to right away. Now I unlike some believe we can do a committee approach and I don't need Watson or Doubs to put up around 1,000 yards...but I truly believe they could collectively produce that or more possibly we will be sitting good.

Personally I predicted early (will re-visit before season comes) that together Watson and Doubs will produce 1,245 yards / 80 receptions / 11 TDs *arguably the TDs may be high as I fully expect Cobb/Tonyan/Lazard and even Lewis of the receiving options being more of Rodgers RZ targets given history.

Reaction score
Romeo continues to prove the worries of not being able to do testing (arguably to me what pushed him to day 3) were nothing to worry about. Everyday through reports and readings Doubs is one of the impressive weapons of OTAs.

Yes it is OTAs, but what film is out there Doubs looks just as fluid and route technician as he did in college......this cat is going to push folks for playing time.

Now I know he’s not taken a snap in regular season. Yet when I watch that college film I see a young OBJ style in his play. His hip switch movement in tracking a ball is like you’d expect from a guy that’s 5’10”.

Reaction score
I said it somewhere I truly saw the capabilities of a guy that easily should round into a team's #3.

The main issue we have in GB is we gotta have a couple guys clearly become more than they should have to right away. Now I unlike some believe we can do a committee approach and I don't need Watson or Doubs to put up around 1,000 yards...but I truly believe they could collectively produce that or more possibly we will be sitting good.

Personally I predicted early (will re-visit before season comes) that together Watson and Doubs will produce 1,245 yards / 80 receptions / 11 TDs *arguably the TDs may be high as I fully expect Cobb/Tonyan/Lazard and even Lewis of the receiving options being more of Rodgers RZ targets given history.
I don’t remember which scouting report it was, so don’t ask you’ll have to trust me in this one. Shortly after we drafted him I was reading a report saying he was one of the more pro-ready WR’s. I think “refined” was the actual term they used for him. That doesn’t mean that he will win a starting role though.

I didn’t have as much time predraft to study the full spectrum of players. Yet we do know that WR was a strong draft position suit (as seen by those in the business of drafting. We saw 4 WR drafted by #12 overall? That’s highly unusual.

My best guess is that several WR picked earlier Day 3 were really Day 2 qualified. It’s just that other positions had the similar and same surplus of talent. Many teams got a steal in that 3-5th round area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know he’s not taken a snap in regular season. Yet when I watch that college film I see a young OBJ style in his play. His hip switch movement in tracking a ball is like you’d expect from a guy that’s 5’10”.

Yes Romeo has VERY fluid movements both in his hips and hands. His back shoulder catches in flight are much more refined then many would be from College. I've been very big on him from the start, despite his lack of testing worrying me some away from him as a 2nd rounder - but I'd embraced him in the third honestly even. He may grow into a player that makes a liar out of me but I sense he will be a solid #3 in the league at worst once he matures some.

Reaction score
Yes Romeo has VERY fluid movements both in his hips and hands. His back shoulder catches in flight are much more refined then many would be from College. I've been very big on him from the start, despite his lack of testing worrying me some away from him as a 2nd rounder - but I'd embraced him in the third honestly even. He may grow into a player that makes a liar out of me but I sense he will be a solid #3 in the league at worst once he matures some.
The NFL teams that will benefit the most from this draft we’re the ones who were several players away from greatness. The Packers are definitely in that grouping.

It’s merely my opinion, but the 2021 team was a net 2 injured starters returning (full strength) and 2 additional player upgrades (2 game changers) from getting off their NFC game type plateau. We should’ve played the Rams last year in an NFC game, but I think the Rams were slightly better at that point in January.

This season we really only have one serious ?? and that’s at WR production. The only other ? Is at TE and I really don’t think it’s anywhere near a concern, it’s just not a strength, particularly if Big Bobby is back early. If we get this WR thing figured out earlier? We’re going to pose serious problems for our other NFC counterparts.

Getting Doubs, Watkins and Watson up to speed is critical to our success this season. Drafting a more seasoned player at WR (Doubs) was a substantial move there at #132

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The NFL teams that will benefit the most from this draft we’re the ones who were several players away from greatness. The Packers are definitely in that grouping.

It’s merely my opinion, but the 2021 team was a net 2 injured starters returning (full strength) and 2 additional player upgrades (2 game changers) from getting off their NFC game type plateau. We should’ve played the Rams last year in an NFC game, but I think the Rams were slightly better at that point in January.

This season we really only have one serious ?? and that’s at WR production. The only other ? Is at TE and I really don’t think it’s anywhere near a concern, it’s just not a strength, particularly if Big Bobby is back early. If we get this WR thing figured out earlier? We’re going to pose serious problems for our other NFC counterparts.

Getting Doubs, Watkins and Watson up to speed is critical to our success this season. Drafting a more seasoned player at WR (Doubs) was a substantial move there at #132

The way I put it is the WR room is an unknown question mark while TE is a known question mark for the most part. Even without Bobby this team's TE room was quite productive and very known the second half of the season. Deguara would have eclipsed Tonyan's "break out" 2020 season as far as yardage went and still almost did once he established himself last year. (Tonyan 2020 put up 586 yards in 16 games vs Deguara 245 yards on 9 games in 2021).

Reaction score
The way I put it is the WR room is an unknown question mark while TE is a known question mark for the most part. Even without Bobby this team's TE room was quite productive and very known the second half of the season. Deguara would have eclipsed Tonyan's "break out" 2020 season as far as yardage went and still almost did once he established himself last year. (Tonyan 2020 put up 586 yards in 16 games vs Deguara 245 yards on 9 games in 2021).
It’s logical to think that year 2-3 (again with a full offseason program) is where a TE shows a marked production increase. Deguara lost 1/2 season of experience in my opinion.
Every TE in this room has been in the playbook and practiced enough to show an increase. The one that shows the most will get the nod. We already know who Tonyan is.
Now we will find out who is the man between Tyler and Josiah

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s logical to think that year 2-3 (again with a full offseason program) is where a TE shows a marked production increase. Deguara lost 1/2 season of experience in my opinion.
Every TE in this room has been in the playbook and practiced enough to show an increase. The one that shows the most will get the nod. We already know who Tonyan is.
Now we will find out who is the man between Tyler and Josiah

Two different types. Davis will be the Tonyan plug in style wise if Tonyan is unable. Deguara does different things than either of them, but of course sees more targets when he is the #2

D

Deleted member 6794

The pass catchers are a huge question mark entering the season. If the group is able to perform at a decent level the Packers should be considered one of only a few Super Bowl contenders. If they don't, the offense could struggle mightily all season long though.

Reaction score
The pass catchers are a huge question mark entering the season. If the group is able to perform at a decent level the Packers should be considered one of only a few Super Bowl contenders. If they don't, the offense could struggle mightily all season long though.
Wow. I’m thoroughly impressed. Being serious too. We’re in for a treat as long as #12 is standing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Watson sidelined, it sounds like Doubs (and a few others) is making quite the impression in Green Bay!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Watson sidelined, it sounds like Doubs (and a few others) is making quite the impression in Green Bay!

Doubs, Winfree are the “surprising” WRs but Lazard has been as advertised for years and Amari is rumored to have made a few exactly crossers in stride with hands out and not body catching.

I have said it before I’m hesitantly optimistic about this group….

Doubs produced in college to be a top 70 draft pick but wasn’t…he has a chip to prove mistake made there and to overshadow Watson.

Watkins has all the skills in the world just needs to be healthy.

Lazard has PRODUCED consistently when needed over the years…looking for pay day and prove he is what he thought to be by Rodgers and those in house.

Amari wants to put his freshman season behind him now comfortable and hungry to prove folks he wasn’t a mistake.

Cobb is in his last dance with one of his closest friends…he wants a ring for himself and for his buddy.

Watson doesn’t want folks to be pissed with them moving up to get him and that he is the best rookie on the team despite not able to be in TC at the moment.

Winfree, shined very bright with low expectations last year…has the size and the skill and is looking to get his shot.

Seriously….so much hunger and potential pay day years on the line I don’t see how someone or someones won’t step up