2022/2023 Off-season News/Rumors/Updates

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is I think the front office may think like that. I don’t see where we have the money to even consider but lot can change between now and signing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was in favor of the Packers letting MVS walk away in free agency considering he signed for $10 million a season and I'm on board with not offering Lazard that kind of money as well.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to have Lazard back but he will get offered a contract by another team I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Packers matching it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seems we for sure will get three comp picks it is a matter of if Patrick's gets us a 6th or a 7th.

Everyone agrees MVS will net us an additional 5th

Lucas Patrick is claimed to be a 6th by some skilled estimators of this while others say a 7th.

Chandon Sullivan and Oren Burks both are noted as possible 7ths.

I don't envision us getting four overall, but I also when reviewing eligible contracts that we may get three.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would recommend watching the ENTIRE discussion today on McAfee. Yes I truly believe today shed some light on the entire situation.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
I would recommend watching the ENTIRE discussion today on McAfee. Yes I truly believe today shed some light on the entire situation.

I know he says that. Yet it sorta is him Vs. GB from a monetary aspect. His contract obviously crippled our Cap and regardless of what everyone sais, others like Brady do not make over $50m annual. At this point of his career there’s a definitive risk of him not performing to the $50m standard. Going past 40yrs it’s almost contractual suicide making a player the highest paid leaguewide. I understand he’s an exceptional talent and recent 2XMVP and all that so he’s maybe the lone exception.
My dream is that Aaron would play 3 more seasons but restructured at $36-38m annual 100% guaranteed. That’s an area that’s an acceptable risk for me. It’s also an area I’d give him input on keeping a player or two. I realize that’s not going to happen, but that’s what I think his 3 year value is. That type deal would nearly erase void monies and Allow us to tool his Offense. We could retain Lazard and sign a moderate $ veteran RT. I’d even draft an upgrade at both TE and WR. He’d have himself a workshop fully tooled.
His massive contract is going to run him out of GB if he’s not careful. Just ask ZaDarius Smith.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Seems we for sure will get three comp picks it is a matter of if Patrick's gets us a 6th or a 7th.

Everyone agrees MVS will net us an additional 5th

Lucas Patrick is claimed to be a 6th by some skilled estimators of this while others say a 7th.

Chandon Sullivan and Oren Burks both are noted as possible 7ths.

I don't envision us getting four overall, but I also when reviewing eligible contracts that we may get three.

Over The Cap projects the Packers will receive a fifth and a seventh round compensatory pick in this year's draft. While it's just a guess on their part as well they have been pretty accurate in the past.

I know he says that. Yet it sorta is him Vs. GB from a monetary aspect. His contract obviously crippled our Cap and regardless of what everyone sais, others like Brady do not make over $50m annual. At this point of his career there’s a definitive risk of him not performing to the $50m standard. Going past 40yrs it’s almost contractual suicide making a player the highest paid leaguewide. I understand he’s an exceptional talent and recent 2XMVP and all that so he’s maybe the lone exception.
My dream is that Aaron would play 3 more seasons but restructured at $36-38m annual 100% guaranteed. That’s an area that’s an acceptable risk for me. It’s also an area I’d give him input on keeping a player or two. I realize that’s not going to happen, but that’s what I think his 3 year value is. That type deal would nearly erase void monies and Allow us to tool his Offense. We could retain Lazard and sign a moderate $ veteran RT. I’d even draft an upgrade at both TE and WR. He’d have himself a workshop fully tooled.
His massive contract is going to run him out of GB if he’s not careful. Just ask ZaDarius Smith.

Rodgers mentioned that he's aware that his contract will have to be adjusted if he returns for next season. With that being said I have absolutely no idea how that should work without him agreeing to a pay cut.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't want to watch the whole thing :). But from what I did, I'm sure others will, but I found nothing unreasonable, out of line etc. In fact it all pretty much makes perfect sense if people would step back and look at it from a neutral position. I also don't think it's any different than what he's basically been saying for the past 2 years.
Bullet points for me,

It's a 2 way street with 2 parties that need to be on board, 1 way isn't going to work

he doesn't expect to be able to pick his players or playing spot, it was always about signaling the direction they want to go

very open about the situation that sometimes teams have to go younger, but he thinks he can still play.

He realizes money is a factor for the team and he'll have to make changes if he's staying here.

I suppose some will find some reason to make Rodgers about to be a **** trying to screw over the team, but it appears he's pretty practical about all of it. Not all that surprising really.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over The Cap projects the Packers will receive a fifth and a seventh round compensatory pick in this year's draft. While it's just a guess on their part as well they have been pretty accurate in the past.

Rodgers mentioned that he's aware that his contract will have to be adjusted if he returns for next season. With that being said I have absolutely no idea how that should work without him agreeing to a pay cut.

If he is sireous about winning a SB then he should be talking to Gute asking for a big paycut and working woth Gute to useAt that money to surround himseAt lf with offensive talent.

Clearly his desire to win isn't that strong.

At this point in his career and the money he made thus far there is no reason he coulnt agree to 25-30/mil a year deal for the next 2-3 years and g8ve everything he has physically and mentally to get there.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 6th most expensive hit to the cap as of right now for 2023 on the team?

Voided contracts.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been reading from several sources that the Jets owner is willing to do whatever it takes and agree to pretty much anything the Packers want for him. If that's true, and get teams like the Titans and Raiders involved in a bidding war......
While I don't see us getting what the Seahawks got for Wilson last year, if it plays out it could be a decent haul.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been reading from several sources that the Jets owner is willing to do whatever it takes and agree to pretty much anything the Packers want for him. If that's true, and get teams like the Titans and Raiders involved in a bidding war......
While I don't see us getting what the Seahawks got for Wilson last year, if it plays out it could be a decent haul.

Now that I understand how cheap Rodgers can be if the one option for an acquiring team if executed - I 100% feel this was all part of the plan as the out for Rodgers and GB.

For those that don't know an acquiring team can execute an option to pay his total due through a $1.165M base salary and the remaining $58.3M through an option bonus which can be prorated through four years. Essentially 2023 his cost is only $15.79M and in 2024 only $32.5M

That is incredibly cheap in reality.

If the Jets are as interested plus how cheap he is - I strongly am back in the camp of the package most likely involving two guaranteed first rounders for sure. Don't be shocked if Mims is a kick back in the deal too as I know we liked him in his draft year and change of scene could be good for him. I'd even ask for Jeremy Ruckert (3rd round TE from last year).

D

Deleted member 6794

The 6th most expensive hit to the cap as of right now for 2023 on the team?

Voided contracts.

Never heard of him, hope he performs on par with his cap hit next season though ;)

For those that don't know an acquiring team can execute an option to pay his total due through a $1.165M base salary and the remaining $58.3M through an option bonus which can be prorated through four years. Essentially 2023 his cost is only $15.79M and in 2024 only $32.5M

The team acquiring him would face a total of $60.5 million in dead money after the 2024 season though. That needs to be considered as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never heard of him, hope he performs on par with his cap hit next season though ;)

The team acquiring him would face a total of $60.5 million in dead money after the 2024 season though. That needs to be considered as well.

Correct

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jets making their first move towards pursuing Rodgers?

Per Schefter they've just hired Hackett as their OC...

Reaction score
Gotcha. Well it’s my wishful thinking but the only way I think this roster can remain effective is keeping QB at a $40mil area tops. Anything else added to void monies and including $$ we’ve kicked down the road is now coming due and becomes kinda counterintuitive. Every dollar over that means erasing talent in other areas and we’re back to 2022 ball.

If that’s the case let’s just take our lumps for 2023-2024. It’s almost worse watching a HOF QB with a stripped Roster than just saying our goodbyes. Let’s not draw this tear dripper out anymore than required.

D

Deleted member 6794

Gotcha. Well it’s my wishful thinking but the only way I think this roster can remain effective is keeping QB at a $40mil area tops. Anything else added to void monies and including $$ we’ve kicked down the road is now coming due and becomes kinda counterintuitive. Every dollar over that means erasing talent in other areas and we’re back to 2022 ball.

If that’s the case let’s just take our lumps for 2023-2024. It’s almost worse watching a HOF QB with a stripped Roster than just saying our goodbyes. Let’s not draw this tear dripper out anymore than required.

First of all I think the Packers have enough talent on the roster to be a good team. While they need to upgrade some weaknesses I'm confident that could be done with a good draft and some smart moves in free agency.

In addition I don't believe Rodgers current and past deals should be cited as the reason the team hasn't been able to surround him with enough talent.

In my opinion the main reason for it is a lot of busted draft picks on defense resulted in the front office having to spend considerably more draft capital on that side of the ball which on the other hand drained the talent level on offense as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta say, Cheesehead TV hit it for me if this is it:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this thank you for the memories and opportunity, or thank you for the new contract offer :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this thank you for the memories and opportunity, or thank you for the new contract offer :)

Right - Could be either at this point. No direction given by either side yet or hints of which way it is.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the praying hands and for some that is just a gesture, thank you. or is it prayers were answered? is it because they were answered that he gets to play somewhere else or because they were answered and he gets to stay here? Why don't I know anything?

Members online

Latest posts