2022/2023 Off-season News/Rumors/Updates

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
post updates as they come and go:

Lazard I think is for sure thinking or knowing he is done here:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a FA who didn't sign his tender until the last possible moment. Hardly a surprise there's a good chance he's gone. I'm sure he's going to go where the money takes him. I'm not going to hold it against him if it's not here, but if we do offer the most he'll be back. I'm pretty confident of that. Though I'm also pretty confident we won't be the ones offering the most money :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a FA who didn't sign his tender until the last possible moment. Hardly a surprise there's a good chance he's gone. I'm sure he's going to go where the money takes him. I'm not going to hold it against him if it's not here, but if we do offer the most he'll be back. I'm pretty confident of that. Though I'm also pretty confident we won't be the ones offering the most money :)

Agreed. I don’t envision us being spenders and he is gonna get suitors, I personally see him more attractive than MVS was last year and we all know how that went.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did this get moved to Draft?Nothing about this is draft specific?

I can rename it to be more clear if needed.

@longtimefan

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. I don’t envision us being spenders and he is gonna get suitors, I personally see him more attractive than MVS was last year and we all know how that went.

I don't expect Lazard to be offered more money than MVS signed for but agree with both of you that there will be other teams which will most likely offer him a better deal than the Packers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Lazard to be offered more money than MVS signed for but agree with both of you that there will be other teams which will most likely offer him a better deal than the Packers.

Whether or not he is more attractive to the teams across the league than MVS will be something I'm very curious of this off season. My post was clearly how I personally view him, what I don't know is how his new team is going to view him. No doubt his agent is going to be pointing at MVS and saying look my client never had a season with less than 60% ctch % where MVS has never exceeded 53% for a season...last four seasons Lazard has 2,229 yards and MVS going into his signing this past year had 2,153 yards...and even though Lazard isn't a deep ball type his Y/R is quite attractive at 13.2 for his career.

I love the type and style of guy Lazard is and hope he sees success where he lands and gets paid.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that could be taken 1 of 2 ways. I'm not certain he meant, "i'm outta here" with that statement. I think it was more, his first game was against the Lions at home. Then he was saying IF we lost this would be potentially his last game as a Packer, also against the Lions at home. Since the game was already played, and we did lose, his potential last game as a Packer was against the lions at home. Had we won, it would not have potentially been his last game as a Packer anymore. The next game might have been.

Now I fully expect someone else to pay him more money than we offered, but i'm not sure it means what everyone is taking it to mean.

It was that he added "and it was" in a way that I didn't even question for a moment what he meant. He is not coming back to GB, I think he has loved his time here and the chance GB took on him, but he wanted an extension this past off season and is not happy about it....and depending on what he desired (if reasonable) or such he may have a valid reason to be a little annoyed (closed door discussions we may never know about).

Some GM will pay Lazard more than he's worth. He's a third or 4th WR that can block but doesn't do much after the catch. He doesn't separate very well and is one of the reasons the team struggled in the red zone. I love to have him back as a no. 3 or 4 but not at 10 million or more per year. Call it a cap casualty.

Everyone always says he doesn't get separation and such, but I have always questioned this. A guy that struggles so mightedly with this trait wouldn't be a 1st down convertor like he is, especially when faced with 3rd down and must get situations.

In 2019 season, he saw 23 targets on 3rd or 4th downs, caught 16 of them and 15 were conversions.
An astounding 75% of his 2022 receptions went for first downs...72.5% in 2021 and 69.7% in 2019.

For reference Davante in recent years (I checked last six) only broke 70% once. Now that of course doesn't mean he is a better WR than Adams, but that level of efficient conversion is quite high and signals he can and does get open when it matters a lot. No he isn't a home run type....but he is a deeper catcher than many think with a 13.2 career yards per catch which is actually more than Adams, Jordy for reference was 14.0, Driver a 13.6 and James Jones 13.5.

Lazard is far far more than a WR4, not a WR1 either though of course. Roster construction controls what he is WR2 or WR3, but regardless of which you want to place on him - I would be absolutely shocked if whatever team he goes to he doesn't end up averaging the second most snaps or more of all WRs on the team when healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone always says he doesn't get separation and such, but I have always questioned this. A guy that struggles so mightedly with this trait wouldn't be a 1st down convertor like he is, especially when faced with 3rd down and must get situations.

According to the NFL's Next Gen Stats Lazard ranked 90th out of 122 receivers and tight ends with at least 45 targets in average separation per target at 2.7 yards.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers retires or is traded Lazard might stay, otherwise I think he is gone.
If Watson and Doubs can solidify WR#1&2 next season then I would like to see Lazard stay as WR#3 otherwise no point overpaying for him.

Reaction score
We are going to see Several Cap casualties this season. We’ve already eluded to keeping #33 which is smart. At a $10mil+ annual price tag Lazard might be one of several good Packers that’s gone.

He’s a good player, but I’ve seen enough to know he’s a good WR3 on many teams (which is nothing to be ashamed of). We have a couple guys that can fill that role. We need a WR1 or strong WR2 (900+ area or better). If we need to part with a WR3 that can block to get that, then so be it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

We are going to see Several Cap casualties this season. We’ve already eluded to keeping #33 which is smart. At a $10mil+ annual price tag Lazard might be one of several good Packers that’s gone.

He’s a good player, but I’ve seen enough to know he’s a good WR3 on many teams (which is nothing to be ashamed of). We have a couple guys that can fill that role. We need a WR1 or strong WR2 (900+ area or better). If we need to part with a WR3 that can block to get that, then so be it.

The Packers could create enough cap space to re-sign Lazard. But in my opinion it wouldn't be smart to match the contract another team will most likely offer him in free agency.

Reaction score
The Packers could create enough cap space to re-sign Lazard. But in my opinion it wouldn't be smart to match the contract another team will most likely offer him in free agency.
I agree and realize that we can pay him, but my point was one of balancing the overall cap $ledger. Now who do you cut that could’ve been resigned in that 10m range? We forget that for every $10m+ player you pay, there’s another area you cut OR another area that could’ve been buffered is thin. I still think we need another Veteran on the Right side at OL. Protect our $60m investment etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have to tool #12 with better options, but might need to keep the 1 or 2 known WR quantities we have within reason. There’s something to be said about continuity. Upon further contemplating I don’t like how thin we are and Cobb is fading. Unless Lazard offered over ~$12+
I’d pony up the $ that’s just what these guys make now.

maybe Keep him AND add 1 more WR in this draft at #15,#47 or #79

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree and realize that we can pay him, but my point was one of balancing the overall cap $ledger. Now who do you cut that could’ve been resigned in that 10m range? We forget that for every $10m+ player you pay, there’s another area you cut OR another area that could’ve been buffered is thin.

As mentioned above, I'm definitely not in favor or re-signing Lazard if another team offers him anywhere near $10 million a season.

Reaction score
As mentioned above, I'm definitely not in favor or re-signing Lazard if another team offers him anywhere near $10 million a season.
I see. I see Allen as a different style player, but similar scenario that we had to make with MVS.
What are your thoughts on a similar decision we made with MVS last season.
Was he worth his $10mil contract thus far in KC?
My thought is these are comparable level players and so that MVS cut might be a look into the future. The Packers might similarly not value his role at $10m either. I think they’d snap up on Lazard in that 6-8M average range though.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not signing Lazard for that much. 10+ is a definite no from me. Yes he's our most consistent receiver, he is valuable overall, he's a good and willing blocker. Good teammate etc. I like him. But he does not bring that value to a team.

It does leave a hole we need to replace, but if we can't find someone to replace that production fairly easily, we have no business in this business anyway. He's not tipping the field, he's not a gamebreaker. He's steady and lots of guys are around that are stead and are much cheaper than 10M or more per year. Find one.

But preferably, find someone better and pay that guy more if you have to.

Reaction score
I'm not signing Lazard for that much. 10+ is a definite no from me. Yes he's our most consistent receiver, he is valuable overall, he's a good and willing blocker. Good teammate etc. I like him. But he does not bring that value to a team.

It does leave a hole we need to replace, but if we can't find someone to replace that production fairly easily, we have no business in this business anyway. He's not tipping the field, he's not a gamebreaker. He's steady and lots of guys are around that are stead and are much cheaper than 10M or more per year. Find one.

But preferably, find someone better and pay that guy more if you have to.
I was thinking that same way a short time ago and that’s a good guess. In projecting a little bit, The Lazard tilter might be that we only have 2 Sophomore WR and a veteran slot in his twilight years. Last years draft displayed that there could be a similar run on WR early that leaves us exposed. Having a reliable veteran (what I’d call a strong WR3 or Weaker WR2) for position continuity and so we don’t start from scratch again could be a factor.

I think our FO will be a player on Lazard up to $10m but not a penny more. With production consideration, he’s a yearly average 7.5M type guy. After all, the WR position is at a relative premium recently.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think if the money is there and this WEAK free agency class at WR paying Lazard $10m a year BUT not have it be into when paying Watson and Doubs for xtensions come into play.

Both may hit but I strongly feel at least one will and Lazard contract needs not be an issue of resigning. Per game active for Lazard bonus is a good thought seeing as he seems to miss time every year.

Members online

Latest posts